Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support

Old 26th January 2004, 00:39   #1
Nicholi

Allow Multiple Instances in winamp5...doesn't open new instance?

I've been trying to find an answer for this awhile, and I've seen some older winamp 2.x posts but they don't seem to help.
I have "Allow Multiple Instances" ON. After double clicking any mp3 file it simply opens in the same player. It does not open in a new player and leave any other players alone in the background, as Winamp 2.x used to do.

However I can open another blank winamp just by starting up the exe. But that is quite useless because then I have to open a NEW winamp then load the mp3.

The only topic somewhat akin to this was something about adding /new into the command line for winamp. That wouldn't open a new player on mine and simply added a title called "new" in the playlist.

Are there any fixes for this?

I usually like to have my plain old playlist open, then if i so feel like it open a single audio file from somewhere else, without having the one with the playlist disappear and I have to load it all over again.

I've been switching between winamp2 and 5 just to see if it still works. With winamp2 it always opens a new instance. But with 5 its just clearing everything in the current winamp and loading the new file you've opened.
Nicholi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2004, 01:51   #2
Nicholi

thought people read this forum?

well just to refresh the thread...
Old 27th January 2004, 02:36   #3
JonnyMac

Quote:
From: Winamp Bug Reports > Sticky: Known Winamp 5.0x Bugs

-Allow Multiple Instances appears to be broken, ie. playing files from Explorer context menus = opening in same instance of Winamp, instead of in new instance.
JonnyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2004, 05:25   #4
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

From what I can gather, it's expected behaviour.

Apparently the change was made in one of the early 5.0 alphas (alpha4, I think).

You can use this feature to doubleclick the winamp icon to open multiple instances, and then use the gui in each instance to open different files/playlists etc... though you might as well just use Ctrl+Alt+N to spawn a new instance instead.

I think the main reason why this behaviour was changed was the thought of opening 2 or 3 or more Winamp's when a potentially cpu-intensive 3rd-party modern skin is active, which could cause some problems, especially on any machine running at <1GHz :/
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2004, 00:39   #5
JonnyMac

If that is the case and it is not a bug, maybe an option for the Winamp Wishist could be...
"Allow multiple instances on double click in Windows Explorer" or something similar

However, because I rarely use multi. inst. it is not on "my" wish list.
Old 28th January 2004, 04:19   #6
Nicholi

It's on my wishlist then....however till then I guess I'm just going back to winamp2.
Old 28th September 2004, 18:30   #7
knightmaraude

Send a message via ICQ to knightmaraude
new instance

I get it to behave like winamp2 by assigning the commandline to:

"C:\Program Files\Winamp\Winamp.exe" /NEW "%1"

I guess your milage may vary, but it works well for me (btw, the quotes in that fashion may or may not be essential, ditto with the /NEW being all caps.)
knightmaraude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2004, 19:19   #8
Napolean Solo

Re: Allow Multiple Instances in winamp5...doesn't open new instance?

Quote:
Originally posted by Nicholi
I've been trying to find an answer for this awhile, and I've seen some older winamp 2.x posts but they don't seem to help.
I have "Allow Multiple Instances" ON. After double clicking any mp3 file it simply opens in the....

Well, I have Winamp 5.05 and have Allow multiple instances UNCHECKED and I still get multiple instances. This is assinine. When will this bug be fixed? (It has occurred since 5.03, and yet has not been reported until now. Why is this being buried?)
Napolean Solo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2004, 19:43   #9
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

Send a message via AIM to Nunzio390 Send a message via Yahoo to Nunzio390
Well, it appears as if knightmaraude revived an eight-month old dead thread and then Napolean Solo responded to an ancient post by Nicholi.
Quote:
Well, I have Winamp 5.05 and have Allow multiple instances UNCHECKED and I still get multiple instances. This is assinine. When will this bug be fixed? (It has occurred since 5.03, and yet has not been reported until now. Why is this being buried?)
@ Napolean Solo...

I can assure you that the so-called "bug" you refer to above is not happening with me, and I cannot reproduce the problem you are experiencing. If I UNcheck multiple instances, there are NO multiple instances. The problem you are experiencing could be the fault of a 3rd-party plugin, and not Winamp.

Have you tried a clean install (Full Uninstall -> Reinstall procedure) of Winamp 5.05 with no 3rd-party plugins?
When you reply, also include basic system specs, including your Windows OS, motherboard, soundcard (or chip, if onboard), DirectX version, etc.

Don't email or PM me concerning Winamp. Instead, either start a NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY in the appropriate thread in these forums. This will also benefit others who may have a similar question or problem. But before posting, please first Search the forums and read all FAQs and all Sticky threads.

ORB Remote Broadcast

[ Automated Jukebox | Nunzio's Home | Wacky Videos | Solve the Prunella Puzzle! ]
[ LINE RIDER! | My Resume | Virtual Chess | Composite Sketch | My Niece's Band ]
[ Plugins by Joonas | DrO's Winamp Plugins and Extras | K-Jöfol ]
Nunzio390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2004, 20:00   #10
JonnyMac

@ Napolean Solo

Do you have the Equalizer by nevi plug-in? That may be to blame (see here).
Old 7th December 2004, 15:40   #11
c_death

I am having the same problem. I was forced to upgrade because of the worm/tunneling thing recently found.

I've noticed this "bug" the first day I installed it but today it is the most annoying.

I am a live365.com broadcaster. Every morning I review the oldest 25 songs that are in rotation. I have a folder on my computer that represents what I have online, sorted by last modified date.

I grab the top 25, put in a winamp playlist. Open a program called Studio365, which gives me info on the songs currently uploaded (like it's last 30 day rating) and it also allows me to delete and upload songs and create playlists.

I compare a song to this information. If the song has a low rating I delete it. Both in the program as well as in the directory on my machine. If it has a high rating I touch the ID3 tag, I copy the ID3v2 info over to the ID3v1 and save, this changes the last modified date.

Twice this morning when I switched over to my file folder to delete the file I accedently double clicked when I selected a file. My whole list that I was working on was deleted. I had to reconstruct the playlist by opening my recycle bin (luckly it doesn't auto perm. delete) and select the songs I deleted today, grab the songs with today's last modified date and figure out the difference to know where I was in the list.

I also like to listen to multiple streams at the same time. when one goes to commercial and I can switch to the other.

I'm going to try the clean install and see what happens....

this is not the only "bug" that is annoying me with this version. Don't get me started on the insertion of numbers in the winamp generated playlist. I had a system to update my html playlist that I had been using for over 4 years. (cut and paste) that is gone. Now I have to ftp the csv file studio365 creates, and run it though a script my husband wrote for me.
c_death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2004, 23:34   #12
c_death

well I just did a clean install with the new 5.08 and it STILL loads in the same freaking winamp instance. No addiontial plug-ins. After I did an un-install I went in and deleted the whole folder, then emptied my recycle bin before installing 5.08.

This is REALLY freaking annoying.

Don't this the option if it doesn't work.
Old 29th December 2004, 00:05   #13
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Windows Folder Options > File Types > PLS / M3U / MP3 / etc > Advanced

Play in Winamp > Edit

App Used command line:
"C:\Program Files\Winamp\winamp.exe" /NEW "%1"

(you may also need to uncheck "restore associations at startup" in Winamp Prefs)
Old 29th December 2004, 00:15   #14
c_death

I saw that earlier and wasn't sure where i was suppose to place that setting. It WORKED. thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you
Old 16th June 2005, 00:25   #15
ClintJCL2

Me too

I too am having the problem where multiple instances don't work!

I'm going to have to downgrade back to my 2.91 if this doesn't stop!

I start my winamp from command-line, always.

ARGH!

-Clio
AMD Athlon 900mHz, 256M RAM, 280GB, Win2K, SB Live Platinum 5.1, ATI All-In-Wonder Radeon 32M DDR.
ClintJCL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2005, 01:42   #16
JonnyMac

As DJ Egg has already explained that is expected behavior since WA 5.00. See the "Couple Things" thread for some more info and workarounds, one of which was already discussed in this thread.

BTW Please don't revive old threads, this one is over a year old. The posting dates can be found under the forum name, next to the Profile button.

Please do not PM me for tech support. Any request for tech support through PM will be ignored.
Read the Stickies
---> | | | | <--- Knowledge is power
Old 16th June 2005, 04:12   #17
ClintJCL2

I'm not quite sure how not opening an extra instance is the 'expected' behavior for the "allow multiple instances" option, but if you say so. I just don't know who'd actually expect that.

I read the other thread, which even had I found amongst the thousands of threads here, still would have provided me with zero help. It basically says "reinstall everything clean and give system specs before complaining of an answer". Much like, "Oh, your toilet's broken? Don't call the plumber until you demolish your house and build a brand new one and give us blueprints." While I appreciate the frustration, Winamp5 is basically becoming a nuisance.

-Clio
AMD Athlon 900mHz, 256M RAM, 280GB, Win2K, SB Live Platinum 5.1, ATI All-In-Wonder Radeon 32M DDR.
Old 16th June 2005, 11:29   #18
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

So you also read this thread where it tells you to change the command line for
"Play in Winamp" to "C:\Program Files\Winamp\winamp.exe" /NEW "%1"

yes/no/maybe?
Old 17th June 2005, 00:23   #19
ClintJCL2

Ahh, thank you for that re-affirmation. I indeed read it, kept going to the window to edit my winamp.bat, but kept getting distracted by various other tasks, and ended up thinking I'd tried it when I hadn't.

Looks like the problem is solved, awesome! Thanks!

-Clio
Old 25th September 2018, 17:53   #20
m4f1050

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightmaraude View Post
I get it to behave like winamp2 by assigning the commandline to:

"C:\Program Files\Winamp\Winamp.exe" /NEW "%1"

I guess your milage may vary, but it works well for me (btw, the quotes in that fashion may or may not be essential, ditto with the /NEW being all caps.)
Sorry about reviving old thread, but this actually helped me run 3 instances of WinAmp 5.666 patched. I can now stream 3 Shoutcast DSPs without issues, before even copying the winamp folder to 3 separate directories, in paths.ini in each folder setting different paths as well and setting on all 3 "multiple instances" it still would not work. Adding /NEW before the playlist solved this issue.

Thanks!
m4f1050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support