Old 22nd April 2015, 07:50   #1
ChuckWheat

Album Art Thumbnail Loading

Recently, album art has been loading slower, sometimes taking 20-30 seconds to load every thumbnail in my library of 56 albums. It used to be instant.
It also won't load the thumbnails unless I've scrolled past them. I'm using the small bento layout. I know this is kind of nit-picky, but it makes starting up winamp and choosing an album to play no longer a quick flick of the wrist... :/

Any advice would be great. I've already tried re-scanning and re-adding watch folders.

Thanks
ChuckWheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2015, 22:11   #2
Aminifu
Forum King

May be your Winamp album art cache files have been corrupted. You could try deleting them (shutdown Winamp first) and letting Winamp recreate them as you scroll through your files (in a library view that shows artwork). These cache files are in a sub-folder of your Winamp user data folder. Enter "%APPDATA%\Winamp\Plugins\ml\art" into the Windows Explorer address bar and that should open to the correct folder (assuming you're using the current version of Winamp).

The first pass thru to recreate the caches will take a little time, but the images should load fast after that.

Winamp Pro 5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2015, 00:47   #3
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
if that doesn't work, let us know if the art is embedded or folder based and how big / HQ the art is, b/c 56 albums should basically be instant.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2015, 05:09   #4
ChuckWheat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
May be your Winamp album art cache files have been corrupted. You could try deleting them (shutdown Winamp first) and letting Winamp recreate them as you scroll through your files (in a library view that shows artwork). These cache files are in a sub-folder of your Winamp user data folder. Enter "%APPDATA%\Winamp\Plugins\ml\art" into the Windows Explorer address bar and that should open to the correct folder (assuming you're using the current version of Winamp).

The first pass thru to recreate the caches will take a little time, but the images should load fast after that.
YES YES YOU ARE A WIZARD THANK YOU!!!!

It looked like there were 20 files in the cache, deleted them, reopened winamp and let it rebuild the cache. Looking back in the folder, there's 4. Maybe it was trying to load many at once... idk

It's back to normal now thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
if that doesn't work, let us know if the art is embedded or folder based and how big / HQ the art is, b/c 56 albums should basically be instant.
It worked, but I do have huge album art in the folder of each album. I don't embed anything, as it's against my worship of flac. XD
ChuckWheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2015, 10:37   #5
MrSinatra
Forum King

can't u embed into a FLAC? i thought one could; or are you saying its against your philosophy? (as it basically is mine)

how big is ur art? rez/filesize?

--
Old 7th May 2015, 16:00   #6
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckWheat View Post
It looked like there were 20 files in the cache, deleted them, reopened winamp and let it rebuild the cache. Looking back in the folder, there's 4. Maybe it was trying to load many at once... idk
Yeah, 20 is too many. The most I've ever seen is 10. The main art.dat and art.idx files and a pair of *.dat and *.idx files for each range of resolutions your image files have (e.g. art_60, art_90, art_120, and/or art_180).

I guess you've been changing your album art over time and things got confused. Anyway you now know how to fix it, if it happens again. Windows Media Player may also add hidden image files to your music folders from time to time. Enable Windows Explorer to show hidden and system files and check your music folders for any of these automatically added files and delete them if they interfere with the album art you want to see.

Winamp Pro 5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2015, 19:55   #7
MrSinatra
Forum King

I think it would be a good idea to add a delete cache/temp files function to winamp prefs.

--
Old 28th September 2015, 23:05   #8
Azazelfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
I think it would be a good idea to add a delete cache/temp files function to winamp prefs.
True that... \m/ \m/
Azazelfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2018, 04:24   #9
Scrotchety

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
May be your Winamp album art cache files have been corrupted. You could try deleting them (shutdown Winamp first) and letting Winamp recreate them as you scroll through your files (in a library view that shows artwork).
Just wanted to say thank you, I had the same issue and this solved it. Minor annoyance, but still. And thanks to ChuckWheat for the original post.

And to MrSinatra or anyone else who's curious, here's the before & afters:
art.dat 2.2MB b / 418KB a
art_60.dat 14.3MB b / 32.7MB a
art_90.dat 111.5MB b / 73.5MB a
art_120.dat 21.2MB b / 130.5 MB a
art_180.dat 1,018.4MB b / 293.5MB a

All the new .idx files are 37k, but the before's (in the same order as above):
55k, 16k, 45k, 6k, 191k.

Why, yes, I have suffered a couple heart-breaking corrupted databases. Got the backup tool.
Scrotchety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2018, 20:23   #10
Jevo

Wow, thanks a lot! Same problem here. My folder was more almost 2 Gb, now it's less than 1 Mb. I guess it will grow as I browse through my library. Anyway, I know the trick if I have the same problem in the future.
Jevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support