Old 21st June 2012, 19:37   #1
dynamicradio

Other sources for music lookup?

Hi

I've used Winamp for many years but have recently found the music lookup system it uses, Gracenote, to often label songs incorrectly.

As someone who runs a small online radio station for students from a little studio, I like to have everything labelled correctly to avoid any problems among other things. I have been using mp3tag a lot for this - because it allows you to choose from multiple database sources e.g. discogs, amazon etc.

Is there any way or any future plans to allow multiple sources with Winamp or are you tied down to Gracenote? It would be a lot easier as it would allow me to only need to use one program and I'm sure it would be appreciated by others.

Thanks
dynamicradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2012, 07:16   #2
hector2012

It's a great idea! Although Gracenote is the largest music database, it's not helpful when you tag files with no tag info, which means it does not 'listen music' carefully.
hector2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2012, 14:59   #3
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by hector2012 View Post
It's a great idea! Although Gracenote is the largest music database, it's not helpful when you tag files with no tag info, which means it does not 'listen music' carefully.
Gracenote depends on users to upload and/or correct the data in its database. When you get no info or wrong info, you can manually add or correct the missing or incorrect stuff and upload it. This seems to be too much effort for some users or they don't do the research to find out how to do this.

That said, it can save time to use 3rd party apps that use multiple online databases. It is convenient to use do everything apps, but you usually get better results using a small group of apps that concentrate on a few areas.

It may also adversely impact Winamp remaining free to offer multiple look-up sources. We have no idea of the behind the scene contract terms required to do this.

Winamp v5.9.1.10023 - Quinto Black CT v3.6 skin
Windows 11 Home 64-bit v22H2 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2012, 17:20   #4
dynamicradio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
Gracenote depends on users to upload and/or correct the data in its database. When you get no info or wrong info, you can manually add or correct the missing or incorrect stuff and upload it. This seems to be too much effort for some users or they don't do the research to find out how to do this.

That said, it can save time to use 3rd party apps that use multiple online databases. It is convenient to use do everything apps, but you usually get better results using a small group of apps that concentrate on a few areas.

It may also adversely impact Winamp remaining free to offer multiple look-up sources. We have no idea of the behind the scene contract terms required to do this.
Sorry for replying late but what if this was only available in the pro version or maybe as an extra costing add-on - those who didn't want it might not get it but a lot of people I think would rather have a media player that offered all this stuff rather than having to switch between multiple programs.
dynamicradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2012, 11:29   #5
hector2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamicradio View Post
Sorry for replying late but what if this was only available in the pro version or maybe as an extra costing add-on - those who didn't want it might not get it but a lot of people I think would rather have a media player that offered all this stuff rather than having to switch between multiple programs.
+1. Great Idea!
hector2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2012, 20:52   #6
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
i believe gracenote requires their agreements to be exclusive.

check out dbpoweramp. it has a feature that aggregates many multiple online sources, that those users seem very happy with, but it ain't free.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is online now   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Wishlist