Old 7th May 2003, 17:05   #1
Genosaturn

SPC to MP3?

This isnt nesecessairaly a Winamp 2 question, but I can't seem to find out how to convert SPC files to MP3 files... and i've done a lot of looking. Can anyone tell me or point me in to the direction of a guide?
Genosaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2003, 17:41   #2
. - .... .- -. ....
Backpacking

Send a message via ICQ to . - .... .- -. .... Send a message via Yahoo to . - .... .- -. ....
The first thing you need to download is a plugin that will allow Winamp to play back .SPC files (SNESAmp), which can be downloaded from here.
http://www.alpha-ii.com/Download/Main.html#SNESAmp

Install it, and test it by restarting Winamp and attempting to play back a SPC file. If this works, then you can move onto the next step - converting them to mp3s.

Start Winamp, and go to preferences (CTRL-P) -> plugins -> output, and select the Nullsoft DiskWriter plugin. Hit "Configure", and a config window will appear. Select the directory that you want the mp3s to be written to with eth "output directory" button, and select the type of file to be created by first checking the "Convert to format" box, and hitting the "..." button. Change the format to MP3, and go back out into winamp.

Load the SPC files into the playlist window, turn off shuffle and repeat, and start the files playing from the start of the playlist. When playback of all the files has been completed, the output directory that you selected should contain mp3s of the same files.

[edit] remember to switch the output plugin back afterwards [/edit]

Like my photography? Buy some here....
. - .... .- -. .... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2003, 21:22   #3
Genosaturn

Hiya, thanks for the reply, but i tried your method and it didnt work, all the mp3s were blank and played a real fast tempo for some reason... i'm pretty sure i followed what you said correctly.
Old 9th May 2003, 01:27   #4
Genosaturn

Hey, havent forgot about me have ya?
Old 9th May 2003, 02:10   #5
Lion King
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by ethan_h
[edit] remember to switch the output plugin back afterwards [/edit]
did you do that (selected waveout or directsound for playback)?
Lion King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2003, 22:20   #6
Genosaturn

yep, i did.
Old 11th May 2003, 03:06   #7
Moguta

What do you mean "all the mp3s were blank and played a real fast tempo"? Meaning that 1 second in the WinAmp time display went by much faster than 1 second in real life? Or that the SPC music was there, but it played faster than it should have? Or were the MP3s real short with no music at all, but the WinAmp time display went normally?

Magnatune - A role model for ALL digital music stores!
Moguta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2003, 06:14   #8
Lion King
Major Dude

in case your mp3 acm codec is broken: decode to wav first (settings look like this: convert.jpg), then encode to mp3 with cdex

or use an mp3 output plugin like http://blorp.com/~peter/zips/out_enc.exe (no fancy --alt-preset stuff though)

if you want to burn the songs to an audio-cd don't encode to mp3 first (quality loss)
Old 19th May 2003, 13:42   #9
Genosaturn

oy, this is more complicated than i thought. Guess i'll have to do it though.
Old 19th May 2003, 14:04   #10
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

There's also the old SPCTool DOS utility available at the same site as SNESAmp:
http://www.alpha-ii.com/Download/MainOld.html
http://www.alpha-ii.com/Download/SPCTL061.zip

A multi-utility program for SPC700 dumps. Emulates the SPC700, edits the ID666 tag in .SPC's, rips .SPC's from .ZST's, rips and changes the BRR data in ROMs, logs DSP output to .WAV and .MID files, contains a complete debugger with disassembler, and other features.

More info/manual here:
http://www.alpha-ii.com/snesmusic/yellow.html

However, SNESamp input with DiskWriter Output to PCM WAV should work . . .
http://www.alpha-ii.com/snesmusic/tu...awavedump.html
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2003, 07:44   #11
Genosaturn

Alright.. think i can handle it now for the most part. But the problem i have now is that every track plays for exactly 3 minutes long, so there's either no time to end or WAY too much extra time. Can i set a time for these MP3s to stop?
Old 1st June 2003, 12:39   #12
Lion King
Major Dude

i think the track length information is saved in the id666 tag, i don't think the dos tool supports that

hmm, snesamp seems to set 3:00 playing time if that part of the id666 tag is missing, you need to listen to the spcs and add the playing time manually to the id666 tag

or search for a different rip with the playing time being set
Old 1st June 2003, 19:03   #13
Moguta

If you use the WinAmp plugin SPC player, you can right-click each file & adjust the ID666 tag, which includes "play time" and "fadeout time" fields.

I imagine most other SPC players work similarly.

Old 10th June 2003, 13:32   #14
Genosaturn

Got everything working now... cept one little thing. The quality doesnt seem all that good... can i make it any higher or is that the most you can do with SPC?
Old 13th June 2003, 00:22   #15
JazzX

Quote:
Start Winamp, and go to preferences (CTRL-P) -> plugins -> output, and select the Nullsoft DiskWriter plugin. Hit "Configure", and a config window will appear. Select the directory that you want the mp3s to be written to with eth "output directory" button, and select the type of file to be created by first checking the "Convert to format" box, and hitting the "..." button. Change the format to MP3, and go back out into winamp.
What is the setting under "attributes" that will provide the best mp3 playback quality, and is it the same quality as an .spc converted to a .wav file?
JazzX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2003, 04:15   #16
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

No, in theory, a CD Quality WAV file will always be better quality than an MP3, mainly because mp3's are compressed, whereas wav is uncompressed.

CD Quality WAV = 1411.2kbps (44.1KHz x 16 bits per sample x 2 for stereo).
On average, these WAV files work out at approx 10mb per minute.

In MP3, it's the bitrate which gets compressed, and the highest bitrate for 'standard' mp3 encoding is 320kbps. The compression takes out the high and low frequencies not normally heard by the human ear. The lower the bitrate, the less the quality of the mp3, and also the less the overall filesize.
A 128kbps MP3 works out at approx 1mb per minute (~tenth the size of WAV).

To attain a better quality mp3, it's wiser to use the Lame Encoder.
Winamp's DiskWriter output can only use whatever codecs are installed on your system, therefore it uses the Windows default Fraunhofer Advanced MPEG Layer-3 codec (L3CODECA.ACM).
You can download the professional version of this codec (L3CODECP.ACM) if you wish (search google for "radium mp3 codec"), but still it will only support encoding at a constant bitrate (cbr).
CBR isn't too bad at higher bitrates, eg. 192, 224, 256, 320,
but encoding at VBR (variable bitrate) with the Lame Encoder is the way to go for the best possible quality mp3's.

Peter's out_enc output plugin uses (and comes complete with) Lame_Enc.dll
So you could try experimenting with using vbr
(eg. min bitrate @ 112, max @ 256 . . . or whatever)

Try using both DiskWriter cbr & out_enc vbr, and compare the output files for quality.

Though, if you intend to burn the output files to cd-r, then (in theory) you'll always get better results from converting to WAV than encoding to MP3.

Alas, I still don't know if any of this will work with converting spc to wav/mp3, because I don't have any spc files to play with . . .

Hope this helps in some way (also hope I explained things clearly enough . . . and accurately enough too, hehe, gulp)
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2004, 01:13   #17
VideoGameFreak

Send a message via AIM to VideoGameFreak
I was wondering if there was a way you could do this to winamp 5? Change the .spc to .mp3 or .wav format? Is there a way?
VideoGameFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2004, 03:14   #18
Moguta

VGF, the same way as mentioned above works in WinAmp 5 as well as 2 (since they are basically the same player).

Just set the output plugin to "Nullsoft DiskWriter" & configure it to output 16bit 44.1kHz WAVs. Press Play as usual, and it will write the SPC output to disk (first make SURE you have the output of the SPC plugin set to 44.1kHz also, or you could get some nasty resampling distortion).

From there, you can use the LAME MP3 encoder to turn those WAVs into high-quality MP3s. --alt-preset standard all the way! ;p

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support