Old 20th October 2011, 00:00   #1
DeZZeY

Run WinAmp through mixer first

Hello there guys,

I am using WinAmp and the ShoutCast plugin to broadcast my radio station through Shoutcast on Windows XP. I was hoping, that there is way to run my winamp through my mixer BEFORE it is broadcasted out onto Shoutcast? I am using a simple 4-channel mixer that has AUX input/output. Currently I am using it with a few mics for interviews, but I would like to have LIVE voiceover's while the winamp playlist is running on the air. I know I can select the "Line In" instead of "winamp", but I want to have the ability to simply lower the current song playing and talk above it... Like you hear the DJ's doing on the FM radio's before and after songs... Any help?

Thanks - DeZ
DeZZeY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2011, 00:39   #2
thinktink
Forum King

If you want adjust volumes through an external mixer then you'll need to isolate the Winamp audio to the mixer before patching the mixer output back to the computer for the Winamp DSP to send. At the moment I can only think of two scenarios:

1.) Get another computer to play the music while the first one sends it to broadcast.
2.) Install another audio card into the computer and have the active Winamp Output plugin play to that card, send that card to mixer, then mixer back to the primary audio card to send to it broadcast.

If you don't quite understand my above suggestions post back.
thinktink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2011, 10:44   #3
DeZZeY

Thank you for your reply.

I figured I could use a second soundcard.

1 - I set the WinAmp DSP plugin to use "Line In" instead of the "Winamp" for my Input Source.
2 - I connect from the "speaker/output" of the soundcard(a) that Winamp is currently playing music on to the "Aux In" of the mixer.
3 - I connect from the "Aux Out" of the mixer to the "Line in" of the second soundcard(b).
4 - I then connect the speakers that I was using before into the soundcard(b) "speaker/output".

With that setup, I am actually able to control the winamp volume through my mixer and use the mic's and I hear the changes on my end, but the broadcast itself can only be heard if I re-select the WinAmp DSP to use the "Winamp" for Input Source, therefor still not going through the mixer first. I am thinking I still need to configure the WinAmp player to look at the second soundcard(b)'s "Line in" while it is playing my song list from Soundcard(a). But, how is that accomplished?

Do I need to change the Windows XP Audio Properties for the Playback/Recording setups? If so, what would be the correct setup?

I appreciate any help the community is able to provide to me. I appologize if I am making an easy solution more difficult.

Maybe I should just build a second computer and mix between the two pc's. Would rather just use ONE pc though...
Old 20th October 2011, 21:04   #4
thinktink
Forum King

The SHOUTcast DSP will use the default audio device for the Line Input mode. So you can't use the first (default, the one that was there already) audio device for playing back, only for recording.

The new soundcard should be treated as the playback device for Winamp, so go into the Winamp Preferences and change the currently selected Output Plugin's playback device away from the first soundcard and change it to the second new soundcard. Patch the output of the second soundcard to your mixer's input. Then patch the mixer's output to the computer's first (default) audio card's input.
Old 20th October 2011, 23:56   #5
DeZZeY

I still seem to have the same result... I will need to look at my setup and play around more after work. Thanks
Old 28th October 2011, 17:54   #6
thinktink
Forum King

You haven't posted back for a while. How goes the battle?
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Discussions