Old 14th August 2002, 10:30   #1
dominicmckinley

Whos listening?

How can I see how many people are tuned into my Station?
dominicmckinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2002, 19:01   #2
CampinJack

1) SERVER SYSTRAY ICON - If you're in windows hover over the little shoutcast icon in your system tray and it will say "SHOUTcast Server [2/4 users]" (2 users are connected in that case).

2) SERVER GUI - It also shows you in the bottom right hand corner of the shoutcast "GUI" (double-click the system tray icon to bring up the gui).

3) SHOUTCAST.COM - You can also find your station at www.shoutcast.com (takes 5 minutes or more to be listed after starting your server). Look over to the right side of your listing for how many are connected.

4) SERVER WEB PAGE - Finally you find out by typing your server address and port in a web browser. It will show your server's web page. In my case it's http://www.fiercelime.com:8000/

Jeremy
CampinJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2002, 22:20   #3
dj_new

server address

How do you create a server address, as in your case, http://www.fiercelime.com:8000/? Did you already register fiercelime.com or did u create it through shoutcast? By the way, thanx for helping me and the other guys out with setting up our servers.
dj_new is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2002, 22:33   #4
Jay
Moderator Alumni

just put the ip of your server if you don't have a hostname

Ex: http://157.206.3.22:4080/ is mine
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2002, 06:29   #5
CampinJack

Yeah...I registered fiercelime.com through BuyDomains.com. Like KXRM said, you could also just use my IP address. [checks out KXRM's stream...nice]

I'm happy to help out. I remember setting up for the first time. It was very frustrating getting the pieces to fit together. Like many people, I had no idea I needed the DSP Plugin to get broadcasting.

Anyway...good luck!
Old 16th August 2002, 11:33   #6
vdavid23

Send a message via AIM to vdavid23
The quickest way to setup your server

If you do not have a domain name then use your computer IP address. This is the fastest and easiest way of getting your broadcast server running.

*****Important****

Is your IP address static or dynamic this is important because your dynamic IP can change on you, so it might work for awhile with a dynamic IP, but one day it won't work anymore and I would check that first.

To get your IP address in Windows NT, 2000, XP go to a DOS prompt and type:

IPCONFIG
It will display your current IP address to your machine.

In Windows 95, 98, 98SE, and ME go to:

Start
Run
then type: WINIPCFG

Make sure the adapter is correct. I am using a network card so I change it from PPP adapter to my network card and my IP address shows up.

I hope this helps.
vdavid23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2002, 13:44   #7
mc-dred

erm, well when i type in my IP and Port - 195.92.67.70:8000

It doesnt do nething! What am i doing wrong?? It just comes up with NO PAGE TO DISPLAY... ?

And does ne one know where i can get a Static (assuming that is the one that stays the same) IP??

Cheers
mc-dred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2002, 15:52   #8
vdavid23

I am not sure what you are doing or where you are putting that IP

I am not sure what you are doing or where you are putting your IP, but let me assume that you are putting it in the output and connection setting field.

1. You must first install shoutcast-1-8-9-windows.exe first if you are running windows. After installing you can go to start and programs and start your server. There is an edit option for changing your config file. Edit the config file so the master passwords for logging in and administration are changed then start your server.

2. Install winamp280_full.exe (for windows again)
After this is installed it will run automatically. Exit the program before going to step 3

3. Install shoutcast-dsp-1-8-2b-windows.exe (This one is important if you are going to broadcast your radio station)

4. Once everything is installed Run winamp and hit (Ctrl-p)

5. Then choose the DSP/Effect option

6. Under the output field enter your IP address and the password you entered in the config file of the server software.

7. Make sure you have Encoder 2 picked because Encoder 1 does not work

Now choose connect and you should see your connection status change if you did everything right and in the order I gave you. Now drag an MP3 file to the play list and you will see in the status window with bytes sent.

Here is where you have to wait a bit but if you filled in your information in the yellowpages option when you see (yp.shoutcast.com touched) you are now listed on the radio station page and you can do a search for your radio station name.

If you still have problems please give more details this way I don't have to be so lengthy in my responce.
Old 16th August 2002, 16:03   #9
vdavid23

What kind of service do you have

If you are logging in with a modem you most likely have a dynamic IP.
If you have DSL or Cable you could have a static IP, but that is something you request when you order your DSL or Cable service. Most likely if you did not request one when you ordered your DSL or Cable service you have a dynamic IP.

This will change in time, but how often it changes I could not tell you some dynamic IP's are set to expire in a month or sooner it all depends upon your service provider.

That is why I gave you instructions for finding out what your IP is because if your broadcasting service stops working that would be the most likely cause. Then all you have to do is change your IP address in the output field and connect again and you should be up and running with no problems until they change your IP address again.
Old 16th August 2002, 17:31   #10
mc-dred

Ah right, well i check my IP nearly everytime im online, and it changes nearly every time i reconnect... and yeh i am connecting off a 56k Modem (shame on me i know, it SUCKS! )

Erm and i had my Output Address,just left on Localhost and it says it is sending Bytes but when i chang it to my IP i got from http://www.whatismyip.com, it wouldnt Connect (well it just stayed on Connecting)...

What i really want to know is How DO i get people to listen to my Station, do they need to Download Winamp, right Click then PLAY-LOCATION-my IP... or is there another easier way, or is that Way Wrong??

ANyway u can help me, please do!!

Thanks for ya Previous Help as well,
mc-dred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2002, 17:35   #11
CampinJack

Quote:
7. Make sure you have Encoder 2 picked because Encoder 1 does not work
I'm running mine with Encoder 1. Could it be in your [Output] tab you have Output 2 selected? I think you just need to match up your "Encoder [no.]" and "Output [no.]" selections.

With Qwest, my DSL IP was dynamic (changed occasionally). I asked them about a static IP (doesn't change) and they said I had to upgrade to Small Business DSL and buy EIGHT IP addresses. It came to about $35.00 more a month so I gave up.

Then I realized I was paying $30.00/month for the connection and $17.95 for the ISP, both handled by Qwest. I asked if I could use someone else for my ISP and they said sure. Usually the phone does both functions. But it's set up so that other companies can be your ISP.

I looked around and found XMission (Salt Lake City, UT). The monthly ISP fee was only $1.00 more than Qwest per month ($17.95 -> $19.00) and it included a single static IP! Extra IPs are only like $1.00 or $2.00 per month! But all I need is one for all my web sites and my SHOUTcast server.
Old 16th August 2002, 17:58   #12
vdavid23

Concerning access

capitan3

I've listend to your station and sounds good, although i didn't find a link to your stream here or on you webpage, i found it on shoucast stations Here is the link http://65.100.139.122:8000/listen.pls for all you lazy people.
For your question of xm (satelite radio) no they can't listen. now to promote you site, there are various ways, webrings, search engine's, banner swaps, words of mouth, it depends how much effort you put into it. And yes it is possible to have more then 8 listeners, take a look at shoutcast.com you'll see for your self

I am not sure how to help you with a modem, but if you are sending with localhost in the address field and you have the server software running watch for the message "yp.shoutcast.com.touched!" Once you see this message your station is now listed where others can find it.

I like the ease of use of winamp and it does not take that long to download or install, so I would have your friends install the software and in the browser window provided by winamp choose radio and in the search field type in your station name. I know there are shorter and quicker ways of doing this but I found this to be fool proof and they get your station only in the listings.

Try that if you still have problems let me know.

Click to Listen

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Technical Support