Old 22nd April 2002, 08:10   #81
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Quote:
Originally posted by cphiggs312
I recently received this message about my unpublished skins:

Component preview images are too dark. Please fix component bitmaps.
Change the 16 bit BMPs to 24 bit BMPs.

I did use 24 bit BMPs in all of my skins.
My other user name is higgs312@yahoo.com
Quote:
Originally posted by cphiggs312
The component id's are:
Quote:
Originally posted by wildrose-wally
Maybe you used 24-bit, but the pisspoor skinner program you used did not.
Old 22nd April 2002, 08:11   #82
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Quote:
Originally posted by marc falk
i'm angry.

my skins, Product Of Desire, Product Of Desire v2.0, and Product Of Desire v3.0 were unpublished at 11:05:37 this morning.

aparently they are duplicates of other components.

i would like to state that unless this is some kind of stupid mistake/joke, those skins were 36, 40 and 50 hours of work.

by me.

no one else.

what's happening?

*very angry*

fsnl
marc

eo: Hybrid - Kill City
Quote:
In the database cleanup, older versions are unpublished. Cuts down on us checking and rechecking for rips, since we see the "same" skin over and over. Latest version is retained, unless the differences are sufficient to be a different skin.
Old 22nd April 2002, 08:12   #83
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Quote:
Originally posted by mainframe
my skin was deleted 2.
because it's 2 dark.
DUH!
it's totally black!
that was the fun.
i can't see why it has been on winamp.com for almost half a year and then bang it has 2 go.
the id number is... uhh can't find it, cause they've unpublished it.
but my skin is totally black, completely. lol.
i don't c the problem. it's black. so???

anyway,

greetz,
MainFrame
Quote:
Originally posted by BullGawD
uh yeah, well. I believe the logic is, that's not a skin. It's a picture of black. If that doesn't work for you, it's not a valid skin, since less than three windows are skinned. To be skinned, the window has to be functional.
Old 22nd April 2002, 08:13   #84
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Quote:
Originally posted by Magus
CID 55125 was removed for 'Objectionable Content', yet I don't see the issue.

Why is mine unpublished, while 92890, 92643, 92594, 92526, 92525, and 92017 are?

Explain to me why mine is 'objectionable' and those aren't.
Quote:
Do you see any clothes on her?
Old 22nd April 2002, 08:15   #85
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Quote:
Originally posted by enversi
(edit: I forgot to include the CID# - 79814)
My skin Odd Amp 1 point 5 has been removed, because it is claimed that it is a rip. This is completely UNTRUE. I painstakingly put every pixel of that skin into place myself, inspired only by my own imagination and the videogame Oddworld. The only other skin remotely like Odd Amp 1 point 5 is the original Odd Amp skin, which I myself created. So, unless ripping yourself constitutes plagurism, I want my skin put back up as soon as possible.

In the future, please have your reviewers atcually read the material skinners write in their text files. In the description of Odd Amp 1 point 5 I clearly point out the fact that the skin is an updated version of my older skin. To quote myself:

"To gear up for the imminent release of Munch's Oddysee, I decided to work on a new version of my Odd Amp skin for Win Amp. The new version is absolutely packed with detail and is taking a long time to finish, so I am releasing Odd Amp 1.5, a mix between the old version and the upcoming version 2. The new main window took me about a week to finish and I'm very happy with how it turned out."

Thanks,

-enversi
Quote:
which one is this?
Quote:
That's the original OddAmp. OddAmp 1.5 is an updated version of that skin. If you must take one skin off your database, please remove the older version and put OddAmp 1.5 back up.
Quote:
Names and emails were different, chose in favor of the oldest one. Did you have them uploaded under different names?
Quote:
This is the link to version 1.02, I seached for it using small letters and it came right up. Sometimes the search feature does not work too well.
I have send an e-mail to the author, if that is you, please reply to the e-mail. You would be surprised how many people claim to have made a skin pixel by pixel, while all they did was take someone else's skin and rework it a bit.
In the Odd Amp case, I saw two identical skins except for the main with two different authors. This is the most common example of rips we get.
When we have 2 skins with 2 different names and e-mails as the authors, no one mentioning the other one in any readme or description, we take the oldest name to be the real author, and all other names to be rips.
In any case, to get version 1.5 republished you would have to re-upload as it is no longer in the data-base. If your claim is true, we can make it jump the publishing cue and publish it right away.
http://www.winamp.com/skins/detail.j...ponentId=10077
Quote:
I've solved the problem myself. I deleted Odd Amp 1.02 from George's skins. Sorry about the confusion, I'll be sticking to the name enversi from now on.

What bites is that Odd Amp 1.5 was pretty popular... it had made it to the front page of the skin selections. You're telling me that it's going to be put in again like a brand new skin? Now I'm depressed.

-enversi
Old 22nd April 2002, 08:16   #86
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Quote:
Originally posted by plasmagrid
I would like to know how this skin is considered a RIP
i made this skin and need more info to defend this Skin.
The Skin i refer to is 'EnterpriseD-ShuttleFlyby' 93574
i made this from my winamp 2.x and convertied it to Winamp3.x

thxs
Plasmagrid
Quote:
What we have here is a WA3 skin submitted to the WA2 skin data-base. probably was rejected, not as a rip, but as an improper installation. To upload this one in the proper data-base, please go here:

http://winamp.deskmod.com/
Old 22nd April 2002, 08:18   #87
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Quote:
Originally posted by BigBoy
well, i got a Email from Winamp saying my skin has been unpublished.. I don't know why but i know its not a rip because i used a "Counter Strike" picture that my friend had drawn for me.

I got this in the Email

Does that mean that its a rip? Somethings screwed up? HELLP!
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr Jones

Change your bitmaps to 24 bit, re-compile your skin, and re-submit it.
If you don't know how to do that, ask in here.....

http://forums.winamp.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=5

I'm sure someone will be able to give you exact details on how to do this.
Old 22nd April 2002, 08:19   #88
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Quote:
Originally posted by MetallichicA
Hi everyone, I just received an email that my skin "Transphorescent" (CID #95793) was unpublished because it is a "duplicate". It was made completely by me in Photoshop, with no outside sources, and it's not a resubmission or anything. I'm wondering, how is it a duplicate?
Quote:
Searched for that duplicate, could not find it. Skin is now published.
Old 22nd April 2002, 08:20   #89
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Quote:
Originally posted by Lantern-13
I just received an E-mail telling me my skin, Blue Silver ver1, was unpublished because it was a rip of another skin. Dumb ass people who can't read a date published have been accusing me of this for some time now and it's now gotten my skin unpublished, so now I'm very pissed. My skin, Blue Silver was published back in June of 2001, and the skin that people keep calling mine a rip of is "digital gEN-X z3 Edition" which was published on October 24, 2001. So some dumb ass that can't read goes and get's my skin unpublished by posting in the forums saying it's a rip. I made my skin from scratch, I have the multi-layer .psd files to prove it, and with one little post, obviously without a fair check into it, my skin is gone. Maybe if this report a rip system was a little better used, and someone actually checked to back up the claim, then someone might have seen that my skin was published 5 months before this skin I have been accused of ripping off, and my skin would still be online, like it should be, and with all 200,000 some downloads it had. That's all I have to say.
Quote:
I knew this would get your attention. Your skin is still in the data base, and could be republished without loss of DL count. The only thing, there is a claim in the skin you're accused of ripping about earlier versions of that skin. Have you looked to those earlier versions for inspiration?

I am putting your skin back up, but I am still investigating this further.
Old 22nd April 2002, 08:21   #90
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Quote:
Originally posted by pixelmancer
component id #98022

what gives? opens up fine here...

...or is it just a simple a case of the damned thing corrupting en route?

ta in advance for any insight.
Quote:
This one kept crashing my winamp, and finally my computer. I opened the file to see what was wrong. Did not notice anything, except you have the default browser and avs windows packed with your skin. I had to reject your skin though, sorry.

Take them out and your skin will work fine.
Old 22nd April 2002, 08:23   #91
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Quote:
Originally posted by satcong
Just recieved an automatic e-mail telling me that my skin "Cougar Love" had been removed becuase it had "objectionable content". I'm going to assume that you aren't a band of rabid U-Dub Huskies that hates the Pride of the Palouse. I also enlarged my center graphic to see if there was anything going on in the stands that would qualify as "objectionable" and outside of the usual Cougar game day debauchery there was nothing my own lapsed catholic sensibilities found objectionable.

So I'm thinking that you're thinking that my skin is a "rip". Dude. I can send you all the previous .wsz files I used from my skinner.exe program (gakkkkk!!!) that will illustrate the evolution of "Cougar Love" and the other graphics files I used to put this all together so that I had something that didn't suck too badly. I did it for my alma mater you guys. I didn't steal someone else's design, though I will posit that given it's skinner origins it may bear a passing resemblance to another skin.

So there it is. I appeal to your sense that you're not total skin Nazis standing with your lightsabers and juice boxes at the portal to skindom and you'll do the right thing and re-unpublish "Cougar Love".
Quote:
Originally posted by flatmatt
That sounds like a sports team skin.

Quote:
I'm not sure, but I think through all that jargon I detect a sports skin. If it was a sports skin that you made, I suggest you go look at the FAQ below this thread, and scroll down just a tad.

dammit 'matt.
Old 22nd April 2002, 08:24   #92
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Quote:
Originally posted by QShamus
We experienced problems during installation. This needs to be resolved.

I have had no problems installing this file, and my friends also have had no problems. Please tell me what's wrong, or if the email was corupted. Thanks.

http://www.oswego.edu/~hair/DDR.wsz

-Shamus
Quote:
You are lacking a few components.
Update your skin, make sure you have at least main, equalizer and playlist done, make sure it is not 16 bit and upload again.
Skins that do not have those three components will no longer be published, and published ones will eventually be purged from the database.
Quote:
Originally posted by QShamus
I didn't know this was the rule, and I tried to read some of the instructions in the developer area. I wish I didn't wait so long, but I still don't have time to finish the other parts right now. It's my first effort, and I know it's not perfect. I'll finish the rest eventually and re-submit, but I don't have much time at college. E-mail me any comments if you want to help me out. Thanks for the quick reply, I just wish the review process was as prompt.

-Shamus
Old 22nd April 2002, 08:25   #93
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Quote:
Originally posted by shadowhuntercr
yo. i made a skin not too far back called Magic TG flame rift. now this took me a long time and i worked my ass off using suitable skinning equipment provided by your site. i finished it and submitted and got that damm rip message. this skin does not exist already nor does any version of it or slightly resembling skin. the only thing in it that i think could possibly be viewed as a rip is the background which is a scan of a magic card that i own and i edited to work. i know it's not a completely great skin but some magic finatics like myself would enjoy it. it should be published, not sitting in my harddrive only.
Quote:
I don't know why it might be called a rip. Incidentally, I just search the database this morning for Magic skins and didn't see any of Flame Rift. Resubmit, and it should be fine.
Old 22nd April 2002, 08:26   #94
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Quote:
Originally posted by yagerb
I just recieved like 15 skins i made back saying unpublished and this was the link it gave me. My skins are definatly not rips. Most I could honestly care less about but there are like 4 or 5 that i really liked, One inparticular is called "Bloodhound Gang Chasy Lane" I just want to know why these skins aren't published and how do I go about getting them published cause every time I try to "RePublish" They never get touched......Thanks
Quote:
15 skins?!?! Well, how many did you submit? The problem with submitting so many skins in a row is that it clogs up the database. After a while, reviewers have to start rejecting them just to get publication moving at a reasonable pace. Please do not publish so many in a row. Stick to a maximum of 2 or 3 a day, please.
Quote:
Originally posted by yagerb
Thats understandable, I recieved those over like a 4 day period though, anyway yeah I am still curious about how to get those few select skins published?
Quote:
Just upload the skins again, a couple at a time so they don't cause any clogs.
Old 22nd April 2002, 08:28   #95
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Quote:
Originally posted by Beatie
Hello Oh Wise and Just Ones,
I've received emails stating that several of my skins were not published because "We experienced problems during installation." I'm not sure how to fix this as the skins work fine on my winamp, and downloaded from my site - Willow Intervention - they work fine too. The offending items were "Smoochie Skin"; "The Two Willows"; "Vamp Willow Mandala", and "Evil Eye Vamp Willow".

Would you be so kind as to clarify what exactly the problem is with them, so I can address it properly, please.

Thank you,
Quote:
The problem with those skins is that they do not have the "cbuttons", and as such are un-usable. Please add buttons and re-submit.

Quote:
Thank you for your prompt response. When you say "cbuttons" do you mean the basic play pause stop stuff that goes on the main window, or the equaliser sliders and stuff? I'm not too clear on some of the finer lingo at this stage. Sorry.
Quote:
Yes, I mean the basic play pause stop stuff that goes on the main window. It would not hurt to put sliders and stuff on the equalizer neither though.
Old 22nd April 2002, 08:29   #96
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Quote:
Originally posted by metemike
You said that my winamp had objectionable material. Please specify. It's a skin for our Highschool sports team, the redskins. I can't see what is objectionable about it. Please explain.

Skin Name: Tulsa Union Redskins.

I have never been removed. Relook at this, I think you might have me mixed up with someone else/

Thanks for your speedy reply.

WHAT HAPPENED TO THE SPORTS SKINS?

AOL owns Nullsoft, the company that publishes Winamp and upkeeps the winamp.com website. Recently (August 31ish, 2001) AOL corporate notified the Webmaster of winamp.com that they were very displeased by the fact that winamp.com allowed major league sport skins to be published on their website. A list of skins to be deleted was sent along with this message, as well as the instructions not to publish any more 'NBA, NHL, MLB, NFL or college team skins' on the site. We of the Skin Review Squad apologize to the authors of such skins, and suggest that you try DeviantArt,1001 Winamp Skins, or any other of the numerous sites that publish Winamp 2.xx skins.

Quote:
Originally posted by metemike
This is not a major league skin, its a Highshcool skin with the redskin mascot. Tulsa Union Highschool. Are you telling me that the NFL has a copywrite on the word redskins?

Tulsa Union Highschool

Thanks

mike
Quote:
There should be no problem with high school skins, please post your Component ID number, or resubmit. Mention in your comments that it is a high school skin. please.
Old 22nd April 2002, 08:31   #97
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Quote:
Originally posted by WingZeroHeero
At least She is just a cartoon character and She has something around her body! SHe's Not a real person and Ive seen worse by a long shot that youve let get by!

SO you have No Right to not publish My skin People like my skins besides I submitted worse skins which I might add You published! If you don't publish it like you did the rest of my skins then I gotta say yaall are punkass dumb f***ers!
Quote:
Originally posted by Atmo The Freak
You'll have to give at least a Component ID so it can be looked at WingZeroHeero...
Quote:

Winamp has all the right in the world NOT to publish your skins, and if you do not lower your tone, we will not even look at them.
Quote:
the submition form!!
Old 22nd April 2002, 08:32   #98
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Quote:
Originally posted by paxman356
I got an e-mail today stating my Winamp skin had been unpublished. I never realized it was published in the first place. Secondly, when it said due to "questionable content" I was shocked. Not until I spent 2 hours reading previous posts did I realize that sports teams are now not allowed to be posted. Wouldn't it be easier to A.) put this in the e-mail itself so people won't be confused, and B.) tell the world so we don't waste our time making them in the first place?

Also, what of any other skins I published, are they still around?
Old 22nd April 2002, 08:33   #99
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Quote:
Originally posted by dimichan
Component ID 95824 was removed - no email or anything, I'm wondering why? It wasn't a rip (started it from literal scratch)... been using it for a couple months on and off, so I'm a BIT clueless on what was wrong, no email or notification, since it was getting a fair number of downloads I went to check it and it had vanished... I'm really not upset since it was tagged for upgrades anyway, but if there was a problem I'm unaware of I'd like to know ^_^
Quote:
This is the second report I have received of skins disappearing without a trace. I do not have an explanation, and neither does winamp administration. There must be a glitch in the data-base. The best thing is to resubmit. Sorry.
Old 22nd April 2002, 08:34   #100
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Quote:
Originally posted by hellure
hellure one, CID:100914

i got an e-mail that my first skin went unpublished because it was a "rip". this skin is anything but. i've been paying attention to what is possible with winamp skins for nearly two years. i finnaly sat down and created one, and built completely from the 'base' skin.

i can't even say i was inspired by any certain skin.

answers?
Quote:
Since nobody responded here, I have published this skin.
Quote:
Originally posted by hellure
thanks wally... ; )
Old 15th May 2002, 08:04   #101
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Quote:
Originally posted by trentrturner
I'm disappointed. Since when do you not publish team skins? My original (KanAmp - someone has since ganked that name) and my last one (KanAmp2) were published, and I only deleted KanAmp2 to replace it with the newer KanAmp 2002 (CID 100665), which was rejected due to "objectionable content".

If you're going to reject new team skins (presumably b/c of trademark liability), shouldn't all components containing trademarked or copyrighted material (e.g. stereo eqpt, shoes, beverages, BANDS) be removed for the same reason, or at least so that we're not under the assumption that ours will be published? That may be the definition of "grandfathered in", but it seems like a double standard in the policy. Skinners, don't take that the wrong way - I don't want anyone's skins removed... I just hate wasting hours making updates, changes and improvements, only to find out later that they can't be posted.

And it sounds like I'm not the only one...

Amen, brother.

Thanks for letting me vent - I appreciate being given the opportunity.
Trent
Old 15th May 2002, 08:06   #102
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Quote:
Originally posted by Algai
I hope this is the right place to post...
I recently recieved an email saying
"Your component 'Naked Dancing LlAMa-P' is now unpublished.

The component is a duplicate of another component."

I recently resubmitted it aftere being told it was not properly instalable, and have now fixed this (I think) and republished it. I have completely done the skin myself and haven't stolen any of it, so I am assuming it has been doubly-submitted and the seconds sending has been picked up, or linked to the older version on your database.

Please help!
NB: CID no is 98315

Martin Smith
Yourruler@hotmail.com
Username 'Algai'
Quote:
Did you check whether it's listed twice in you developer area?
Quote:
Originally posted by Algai
Yes, sorry... It is only listed there once, in the 'unpublished' section.
Old 15th May 2002, 08:08   #103
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Quote:
Originally posted by A Plugin Developer
What's up with this? It's not a rip of any other component.

-----------------------------------------

Your component 'AOLRadio' is now unpublished.

The component is a rip of another component

Please visit http://www.winamp.com and resubmit your updated component. If you have any qualms, Please visit the forum http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=55236, and state your case.

Thank you.

- Winamp Skin Review Team
Quote:
1) Right forum, wrong thread

2) Didn't we have this problem with this before?,

Same answers.
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....threadid=78316

Moved to correct thread.
Quote:
Originally posted by A Plugin Developer
1)Oh well, I just figured the link in the e-mail would send me to the correct place.

2) Yes we did (slightly different though, last time someone 'deleted' it and this time it is 'unpublished for being a RIP')... so how is this a RIP? Oh, and the last one was never answered... so your 'same answers' reply should probably be 'still have no idea'

Could it be that AOLTW is pissed that Google has the plugin listed before any of their AOL v7 crap? It's damn funny if you ask me... when someone goes to Google for info on "Radio@AOL" and they hit "I'm Feeling Lucky" they get a Winamp plugin. MUAHHAHAHA
Quote:
hehe, I'll ask an admin, see if they know....

[edit] answered here...
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....threadid=78316[/edit]
Old 15th May 2002, 08:08   #104
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Quote:
Originally posted by MKR
"
Your component 'FreakAmp by MKR' is now unpublished.

Please visit http://www.winamp.com and resubmit your updated component. If you have any qualms, Please visit the forum http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=55236, and state your case.

Thank you.

- Winamp Skin Review Team
"

#1. I don't rip stuff, i'd rather do a sucky job on something and it be my own, than make something good and it be mostly someone else's work.

#2. The only possible way it could be considered a rip is if you consider using the skin template on the dev page ripping.

#3. It's no big deal, the skin sucked anyway, the next one i do, if i do a next one, will be better.
Old 15th May 2002, 08:10   #105
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Quote:
my rents will kill me if they see them on my pc! I can only submit it as it is! I don't know what this ID thing ur talkin bout is! I am only goin to say this My skin was just as provocative as the one of the two cops (one in underware and one wearin nothin but a white collared shirt!)!!!!!!!!!!!So publish my skin!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Quote:
Without a component ID we can do NOTHING.

Go to your skin developer area WHERE YOU UPLOADED YOUR SKIN, wave your cursor over the EDIT link and make a note of what appears in your browser status bar, you should see a 5 or 6 digit number.

If you can't do that, provide a screen shot of the skin, attached to a post in here, and we'll try and tell you why it wasn't published.
Quote:
I never did see any number in the component ID box! Here it is!
Quote:
no wonder it wasn't published!

No buttons!

Quote:
more helpful. Try getting your CID again.

And don't get pissed at us about this. These are Nullsoft/AOL rules. If you find a skin in the db that you think should be removed, give us a link.
Quote:
I was kind of hoping for a picture of the skin itself, however if you based your winamp skin on that picture, I have this to say...

Take your cartoon porn elsewhere, it's not welcome on this site, if you feel there are skins that are worse than this one already posted on the site, feel free to post a link to them, and I'll remove them as well

Good day.
Old 15th May 2002, 08:12   #106
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Quote:
Hello,
just looking for answers as to why my skin was removed after being published, please. ID number 102221.

Thank you,
Quote:
its a skinner skin (meaning it was generated by a skin making program) and has, well, among quite a few others, the EQ bars missing.

No originality + no functionality/completeness = no stay in winamp database.

You can probably get by with skimming on the buttons if you'll put a little more work into the skin. Try working on it some more and resubmitting. Just keep in mind that winamp.com is not a wallpaper site - its a skin site.

(Thank you for your politeness by the way - it was appreciated, though the reply still had to be negative. )
Quote:
Thank you for your prompt response. I am a little puzzled as to why my skin is pulled for incompleteness when there are other skins that leave off the equaliser bars and remain published and popular - Rosko's Alyson Hannigan 04 and 05 are cases in point.

The skin that was pulled had had over 200 downloads in 5 days despite not being included on the main new skins page - just learning not to publish simultaneously - and had a very positive review - not mine btw. When my skins had been unpublished previously I asked what would get them through and I was told cbuttons. I went back, and in the case of this skin painted the cbuttons in by hand. Now I'm told it's necessary to put the equaliser bars back as well, and get a serve for lack of originality, which is such a subjective view in this case, as there are no previous treatments of this grab anywhere I can see, that I begin to suspect there is an issue with the subject matter. Don't care if people do have a problem with it, but would you be so kind as to let me know if this will be the case with all future skins I put up that don't include the equaliser bars, and deal with subject matter not to the particular taste of the reviewer. It honestly doesn't seem worth the hassle if that's the case.

Thank you,
Quote:
again - apologies. You have to understand the the reviewers are going from a point of many broken rules, and many nonexistant rules, to a more stringent review process, in the hopes of cleaning up the database in general.

Just to clarify, this means you can get away with scrapping some buttons or bars if your skin is original, but that all skinner generated skins must have all the buttons.
Quote:
It had recently come to the attention of Winamp administration that an increasing number of skinner.generated skins is appearing without equalizer bars, and they asked us to remove them. As we come accross them, we are doing just that, and if you see any without, you can help us out by posting the component ID number. Thank you very much.
Quote:
Thank you. I'll go back to the drawing board.
Old 15th May 2002, 08:13   #107
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Quote:
Originally posted by jprbof
So if my skin has no EQ bars, my skin will automatically not be posted onto the site?

I don't understand why not having any EQ bars is a problem. When people see my skin they don't have to download it, that is optional. Just because i don't want to ruin the picture i used for eqmain.bmp and place EQ bars in, doesn't force someone who wants a skin with EQ bars in to download it. Why then is there a need to ban such skins from the Winamp website?

I'm just rather annoyed because this is my best skin by a mile, and it will look absolutely terrible with EQ bars in the way.

p.s. I apologize if this question has already been answered, but i had a quick look and couldn't see a clear reason.
Quote:
This is the winamp site, and for some strange reason, they have decided an equalizer would be valuable in an MP3 player. Without the eq bars, it becomes a lot less valuable, to the point of un-usable. In their infinite wisdom. admin has decided they really like the skins on the site as complete as possible, and among the required components for the skins made with a skinning program are the eq bars.
Quote:
Originally posted by jprbof

Point taken, and i can see that you are already pissed with my stupid question. But: many people don't even use the eq, and simply leave it on the default settings, since it makes the sound v.tinny. So i would argue with the un-usable point, but if admin want all skins to be as complete as possible than i'll have to concede defeat.

I would just prefer that such skins were allowed on the site, given a poor completeness rating, and then left to the public to decide. If they think the skin is un-usable than they won't download it, and you would be vindicated. I can see the reason for censorship, but i think that in this case it is not necessary since the content is perfectly clean.
Old 15th May 2002, 08:14   #108
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Quote:
Originally posted by Kyron5
Hi there.
I got a mail with this text in it:

"Your component 'Hell' is now gone forever.

If you have any qualms, Please visit the forum http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=55236, and state your
case.

Thank you.

- Winamp Skin Review Team"

Aha?! I published my skin "Hell" in 1999 an now someone says my skin is a rip?? I have done the skin 99% by myself, just the chrome button I took from another skin, but wrote a mail to the creator and asked wether I can use it...so there was no problem!!!
Please show me the skin from where I should have taken anything to use it for my own skin!! There is none I think, there is just one possibility, the other skin is a rip of mine!! Point!!

So please publish my skin again and everything is fine!
I did not get the ID in my mail so I'm not able to tell you, should I publish my skin again by myself?

MfG
Kyron

PS: Sorry my bad English, I'm from Germany! Would be nice if someone can reply in German, if not, please don't use complicate words
Old 15th May 2002, 08:15   #109
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Quote:
Originally posted by Plotinus
... you recently 'Unpublished' my first two skins and I suspect either my animated cursors (of which SmackFace has since been removed and republished) or my bitmap format (using older publishing software which sometimes is unable to read certain .bmp & .jpg) to be causing the 'Problem during Installation' which seems to need resolving.

you'll either have to do me the favor of elucidating as to the nature of the problem... or explain what 'Installation' is taking place as these are simple .zip files with little to 'Install.' I can only assume that you mean the way your page drops it's .wsz files right in my bla\bla\Winamp directory which is rather rude actually. I just like the option of telling the transfer device where to stick it

Anyway... let me know what you can suggest I do to make these two skins publishable... and please let me know before hand whether there are any other reasons this won't get published.

Thank you...

Plotinus.
Quote:
We'd need the Component id's to check them out.
Old 15th May 2002, 08:16   #110
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Quote:
Originally posted by the_psycotic_1
i got an e-mail that said that my skin was a rip. to quote mkr;
I don't rip stuff, i'd rather do a sucky job on something and it be my own, than make something good and it be mostly someone else's work.
i'd like to see what skin i supposedly ripped, is there a way to do that?? i didnt rip mine, but i might have submitted it twice or something. incase you need it the CID thing is 34513. hope you can help
Quote:
This is not exactly your own, it's a mangled base skin. And even if it was not, it cannot be published because nothing has been done with the playlist.

So in short, you ripped the base skin, did a sucky job mangling it, did not even finish that, and submitted it as your own.

I like skins made with a skinning program a lot better.
Quote:
Originally posted by the_psycotic_1
k, thanx, i wasnt being very creative when i made this, i also didnt quite understand what ripping is.
Old 15th May 2002, 08:17   #111
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Quote:
Originally posted by dexterx51
ok i admit i sent several skins that had objectional content, and i don't even blame you for not at even looking at my skins. but there are a couple here that don't have anything objectional i think if you could take a look.

alleybaggett0001
http://www.winamp.com/skins/submit/e...onentId=101924

pushit
http://www.winamp.com/skins/submit/e...onentId=103378

Quote:
There are clear rules for publishing porno skins on the winamp site, it is not done. You broke that rule by submitting a lot of those skins. As a result none of your skins are welcome here.
Old 15th May 2002, 08:23   #112
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Quote:
Originally posted by Jebs
Hi!

(i've posted this message exactly in an other forum of winamp, but not sure where to post it anyway...)
I want to tell the Winamp Staff that the RIP system seems not to work very well, or perhaps they don' t check with a minimum precaution, because ALL my skins (NHL skins - section Sports), i've made since 2 long years, have been deleted a few days ago (exactly the 27/04)! Why? I don' t know, but i' m very angry, because it took me a lot of time to do them, and of course because it was nice to see that a lots of people liked them and downloaded them (more than 300.000 for one of the skins), Two of them were in the first page of the Sports section since they were published!
So what you would tell me? So, i'ts a good reason to delete the address of winamp.com in my favorites but i won' t do that, because i want to know who told you that they are rip...I don' t know if someone of winamp can answer me, but it would be very appreciated.
Because i've done them, obviously, i' ve got hundreds of ways to prove that! (i've still got the image files in .psd (photoshop) i' ve got a website in french about the NHL (since 2 years) where all my works are (skins, wallpapers...):

here is the adress of the page where my skins can be downloaded:

http://nhlfr.free.fr/index.php3?cont...ypeskin=toutes

what can i say more? the name of my skins are:
'NHL Colorado Avalanche Skin'
'The NHL Toronto Maple Leafs Skin'
'The Absolute Red Wings Skin'
'The NHL Pittsburgh Skin'
'The NHL Buffalo Sabres Skin'
'The Absolute Dallas Stars Skin'
'NHL Saint Louis Blues Skin'

what more? the skin 'Canada Ice Hockey Team Skin' has not even been published...perhaps it' s a also a RIP!!!!

hope someone will answer me soon
Jebs
Quote:
Interesting you can find both of these forums, but can't bother to read the big FAQ thread posted at the top of both. Hmm. BTW - I've posted this exactly in both forums.

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=64030

AOL owns Nullsoft, the company that publishes Winamp and upkeeps the winamp.com website. Recently (August 31ish, 2001) AOL corporate notified the Webmaster of winamp.com that they were very displeased by the fact that winamp.com allowed major league sport skins to be published on their website. A list of skins to be deleted was sent along with this message, as well as the instructions not to publish any more 'NBA, NHL, MLB, NFL or college team skins' on the site. We of the Skin Review Squad apologize to the authors of such skins, and suggest that you try DeviantArt,1001 Winamp Skins, or any other of the numerous sites that publish Winamp 2.xx skins.

[edit] damned 60 second rule. [/edit]
Quote:
slight apology for the somewhat huffy tone you got - I understand that there really was no reason for you to know you'd find your answer in that FAQ. But afore you get all pissed at us, you've gotta understand that we get this question a lot.

I'm very sorry all your skins got pulled mate, you really might try out those other sites we've listed. Best of luck

- BG
Quote:
okay, i can' t do anything about that, but thank you for the answer, at least, now i know the reason, even if i think it' s stupid...You just have to see the skins of Britney Spears or european football teams or others stuff on winamp.com, to know that it' s not legal to publish those skins too! Then, if i speak about the soft like Photoshop or Paint Shop pro, or Bryce 3D etc...that are used to make skins, you know just like me that most of the skinners don' t have the right to use them, because they don' t have the original version but a copy, and the copyright...but that's like that.
Well, to finish with it, the last skin i've sent was about the Canada Ice Hockey Team, which is not NHL or anything like that, but i received the same message from you...And i've seen another Canada skin so i don' t understand...

Hope i don' t bother you, but it's important to know exactly how it works.
thanks again and keep me posted please

Jebs
Quote:

And as soon as britney spears management complain to AOL corporate and tell them to remove them, then they will

NHL, NFL etc etc, are corporate partners with AOL and are enforcing their copyright.

As for you Canadian Hockey skin,, your original post says it's not been published yet, now your saying you've had a removal notice, which is it?
Quote:
i apology too for the first message which was a litle agressive, but i really thought somebody told you that my skins were not original...

for the canada skin here's the message:

----------------------------
Your component 'Canada Ice Hockey Team Skin' is now unpublished.

The component has objectionable content.

Thank you.
----------------------------

jebs
Quote:
Not knowing enougth about north american type sports I can't answer that one. Whoever removed the skin will have to justify that one with a reason.

I dunno if that falls into the same area as the NHL stuff or not.

Who removed it? ( that's not aimed at you by the way, but any other skin reviewers who are lurking on the board today )
Quote:
I believe i denied the canada ice hockey team skin on the grounds that i believed it fell into the 'major league sports' category. I remember it as it was a great skin.

If olympic teams arent included in that category (can i get a second opinion Mr. J??) and if you give me the CID i'll put it up asap.
Quote:
I would say Olympic and National teams are not included in the NHL, NFL, or any other NsomethingL. They should be published. If we can get the CID number of this skin, I will gladly publish it.
Quote:
Ohhhhh, thanks a lot (the whole staff) for having considered my case! that' s a real surprise this morning (i' m in france) and a real good news for me you know; not seeing my skins on your site anymore miss me! I' m simply happy about that, so, you're still da best, don' t change anything!!!
So you can publish this one?
How can i get the CID number? i tried to look in my mail box, but found nothing about this number...perhaps i should publish the canada skin again (but i' m sad that it will only be published in 4-6 weeks...)

i' m impatient and very excited right now! (the hockey and winamp fans will appreciate this skin for sure...(hmmm...thinking now, not the american fans! )

Jebs

PS: i could attach the .wsz file with the text in this message?
Quote:
The skin should still be listed as unpublished in your submissions area.

Just hold your mouse over the edit or delete link for that skin and note the last 5 or 6 numbers....Thats the component id.
Quote:
It's been published. Sorry for the mix-up.
Quote:
Just one thing to say: Thanks a lot!
You are doing an amazing work i guess, with all the skins you must review everyday, so keep up the good work

see ya
Jebs
Old 10th June 2002, 09:26   #113
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Quote:
Originally posted by PFritz21
My TwinsAmp Skin was "unpublished" b/c of objectionable content. What gives? I don't see anything wrong with it.
Quote:
Could you give us the component id so we can take a look at it??

To find it, go to your skins submission area, hold your mouse cursor the edit or delete link next to the skin and note the last 5 or 6 digits.
Quote:
Oh, sorry about that. It's 102935. Thanks.

Quote:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From the srs faq

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Oh, well...

OK, thanks for letting me know.
Old 10th June 2002, 09:27   #114
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Quote:
It's a skinner generated skin without EQ bars,all skins made in this fashion are being unpublished, due to them not being totaly 100% functional. Add some bars, re-submit and you should be ok
Quote:
It's a skinner generated skin without EQ bars,all skins made in this fashion are being unpublished, due to them not being totaly 100% functional. Add some bars, re-submit and you should be ok
Quote:
Originally posted by TigerRose
that's somewhat frustrating...the whole point of the skin is to not have any equalizer bars...Can I get away w/ doing just the sliders?
Quote:
The whole point of a skin is for it to be functional. Generated skins must have the eq slider bars in place or they wont be published.
Old 10th June 2002, 09:28   #115
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Quote:
Originally posted by Lurkerizor
I published a Command and Conquer Renegade skin quite some time ago, around May 2001 I believe, and I got a mail stating the following today:

"Your component 'Command and Conquer Renegade' is now gone forever.

The component is a rip of another component"

I don't understand. How is the skin I posted a "rip?" I did not make the skin myself; an artist at Westwood Studios made it, and I posted it for him. I wrote in the description that he deserved credit for it, not me. He even mailed me, thanking me, around June of this year. However, I checked the skins database, and it does not appear the original author ever posted the skin himself. Can someone please explain to me how my skin is a "rip?" Also, I cannot give a component ID, as my component has been deleted and thus is no longer listed in the "my skins" section.
Quote:
Only skin authors are permitted to publish skins. Yo can NOT publish a skin on behalf of someone else.
Old 10th June 2002, 09:30   #116
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Quote:
Originally posted by KiwiFreak
Hi all, I got an email today from mike the lama saying that a skin of mine was I don't get it cause it's been on the site since octoberish last year.
The component Id is 81389

Question...do I lose the reviews and downloads?

Please Help
Quote:
I would say, as it has a lot of skinner.exe elements, buttons, closers, shuffle/rep etc etc,and a lack of EQ bars,it's been removed for that purpose.

Skinner generated skins that lack this functionality are being removed from the site.

Your skin isn't deleted from the database, just unpublished, add some EQ bars, and resubmit it, and it should be ok.

Sorry if you think this is harsh, but it's come from on high, skinner.exe stuff must be fully functional.

And yes, I know you seem to have done a lot of work removing skinner elements, but there are still a lot left.
Quote:
Originally posted by KiwiFreak
Bummer, that was my first skin and I made it all by hand, I didn't even know that skinners existed. Oh well, I don't like it anyway, I might completly redo it.
Old 23rd July 2002, 09:59   #117
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Quote:
Originally posted by Guardevil
Hi,

I've recieved an email with the following message:

"Your component 'Pender' is now unpublished.

We have received a missing or bad screenshot. Please resubmit your component."

I'd love to correct the problem but I don't know what's wrong with the screenshots.

Thanks for you help.

Rafi.
Quote:
Basically, that would mean the screenshot has disappeared, due to some unknown problem with the winamp site. Please resubmit.
Quote:
Hi,

I thought it was something like that but I've re-published at least 3 times and it's the same behaviour. So I think I might be sending a wrong format or resolution or file size.

Thanks.

[IMG]http://trired.***********/artwork/trired/gfx/logo.gif[/IMG]
http://trired.***********
Long live Triangular Redundancy!
Quote:
Make a complete new submission, and give me the CID numbers of both the old one and the new one please.

Quote:
Hi,

I've changed the images to 128-color GIFs instead of 16-bit true-color JPG.
The old plugin's CID is 80892 and the new one's is 111312.

I hope it helps.
Quote:
I did not realize it was a plug-in, however, copied review comment and rating to new plug-in and removed the old one.
Quote:
Hey,

Wildrose-wally, thanks for all your help.
One last question - could you rename the plugin to 'Pender' instead of 'new Pender' so I don't have to republish all over again just for a name?

Thanks for everything.

[IMG]http://trired.***********/artwork/trired/gfx/logo.gif[/IMG]
Triangular Redundancy
Long live the triangles!
Quote:
Sorry, I can't changes the names. It will be the new Pender until it also is deleted.
Old 23rd July 2002, 10:02   #118
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Quote:
Originally posted by TenTonHama
How can a skin that I created from scratch be ruled "a duplicate of another component"?

My skin was Win2000-based, and there may be other Win2000-based skins or even Wndows in general, but frankly, the entire reason I made one was because the rest sucked. Hard.

So please, enlighten me. Or was my skin ever even looked at... after the months and months that it sat in the queue?
Quote:
Originally posted by Atmo
What's the Component id?? We need that to have a look at it.

In case you dont know how to find out the Component ID, just go to your submission page, find the skin where its listed as unpublished, hold your mouse cursor over the edit or delete link and look in the status bar of your browser. At the end of the link there should be 5 or 6 numbers. Thats the component id.

But there are a LOT of windows classic styled skins all look the same.
Quote:
The Component ID is 104332.

I understand that there were a lot, I actually came looking for one (hence the description) and realized that none of them had the attention to detail that I was looking for.

So I left, created one from scratch, and submitted it for the hell of it, because I was proud of it. I'm almost offended at the thought of lumping the weeks of attention to detail that I put into it in with the rest of the crap I saw throughout the category.

Iono, in the big picture, it really doesn't matter, but I was proud of the work I put in and wanted other people to appreciate the difference.

Then after waiting for months, it comes back as "a duplicate".

Quote:
A real quick search returned these. And theyre just the decent ones.

http://www.winamp.com/skins/detail.j...mponentId=2937
http://www.winamp.com/skins/detail.j...ponentId=26370
http://www.winamp.com/skins/detail.j...ponentId=36304
http://www.winamp.com/skins/detail.j...ponentId=56199
http://www.winamp.com/skins/detail.j...ponentId=84175
http://www.winamp.com/skins/detail.j...ponentId=95746
http://www.winamp.com/skins/detail.j...ponentId=98498
http://www.winamp.com/skins/detail.j...ponentId=26024
http://www.winamp.com/skins/detail.j...ponentId=48346
http://www.winamp.com/skins/detail.j...ponentId=97298
http://www.winamp.com/skins/detail.j...onentId=104925

I personally dont see anything that makes your version stand out from these. Wally or Mr. J, can i get a second opinion on this one???
Quote:
Can I expect a second opinion re: the posts above?

I'd still like to know why something like this gets accepted:

http://www.winamp.com/skins/detail.j...mponentId=1697

When something like mine, that I spent upwards of three weeks on, hand-tooling from scratch gets kicked back. Should I have just opened a skinner and loaded a jpeg? Would it be accepted then? That kind of effortless nonsense draws 67,000 downloads for Winamp.com, yet you think mine is somehow not good enough to accept...
Quote:

After looking at this one again I think a mistake was made first time around, the skin will be published as the database free's it, it's currently locked into my session ID, unfortunately I got called out on a work emergency before I could do anything else with it, it'll free up tommorow, I'll review and publish then.

Sorry for any problems this has caused.
Old 23rd July 2002, 10:04   #119
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Quote:
Originally posted by brijar
Here is the email i recieved.

Your component 'Adcom Hi-Fi' is now unpublished.

Please visit http://www.winamp.com and resubmit your updated component.
If you have any qualms, Please visit the forum
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=55236, and state your
case.

It doesn't state what is wrong with the skin nor does it state that it's a rip (which is the link it gave me) If I'm being accused of ripping someones skin I ask you prove it to me. I created this from scratch. I spent HOURS looking at skins and found nothing that resembled mine. You have no Adcom skis on your site at all (at least not that I could find) I ask that you reconsider your decision or let me know what the problem is with the skin

Thanks
brijar
Quote:
Right forum, but you should have posted this in the thread the email gave a link to. Thats what its there for.

Ok, the problem is that the main and eqmain.bmp dont show. It just comes up with the base skin. The files seem to be damaged somehow.
Old 23rd July 2002, 10:06   #120
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Quote:
Originally posted by willf
I got the message:

"Your component 'vivi is sad' is now unpublished.

Please visit http://www.winamp.com and resubmit your updated component. If you have any qualms, Please visit the forum http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=55236, and state your case."

This didn't however, tell me what the probems with my skins were. I got it for four different skins submitted (It's probably something I did wrong for all of them, is my guess, as none of them are rips). Two of my skins that I submitted at the exact same time, however, did get put on the site with no problem.

The fact that it pointed me to this forum somewhat confuses me as the first message states this is for skins identified as rips, not skins that have some sort of technical problem.
Quote:
Did you skin at least the main, equalizer, and playlist windows?

If so, post one of your skins here so we can see if anything's wrong.
Quote:
Those rejected skins do not have the playbuttons and/or equalizer sliders. As a skin is useless without them they can not be accepted on technical grounds.

Holly Valance:

I am unable to look at your skins due to a data-base problem, but will do so later in the week when the problem fixes itself.
Quote:
Originally posted by willf
Thank you.

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Skinning and Design > Skin and Plug-in Rip Reporting for Removal