Old 18th October 2003, 01:08   #1
Veej007

playcounts, please!

i know, i've been bitching about this a lot.

the ONE THING that itunes and mc9 have that could draw me away from winamp is a playcounts feature that can be integrated into the smartlists.

the media library views can be edited to do the same things as smartlists with regard to the id3 tags... all we need is the playcounts / last played / etc type features.

winamp3 could organize the playlists according to "last played." would it really be THAT hard to incorporate this in winamp2/5?
Veej007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2003, 02:05   #2
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Maybe this will be implemented in a later WA5 release . . . ????

There actually used to be a Stats plugin included with an older 2.x version of Winamp (I wonder if anyone's kept a copy?).

Try searching the Plugins section. There's a fair few plugins available which do this stuff . . .

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....01#post1130401
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2003, 03:25   #3
Veej007

yeah, i tried madstats. pretty nice plugin, but unfortunately it didn't work for me. i have about 4000 mp3s, so i put them all in a playlist and turned on an intro play plugin i have that only plays the first second and then skips to the next song. i let it run down the playlist so they'd all have an entry in madstats; then i started using it running in the background with my usual listening. whenever i tried to reorganize the entries in madstats by clicking on the field names at the top, it would hang on my and i'd have to restart winamp, usually to find that no reorganization of the madstats data had occurred.
Old 18th October 2003, 10:11   #4

Send a message via ICQ to avatar_888 Send a message via AIM to avatar_888 Send a message via Yahoo to avatar_888
yes, i'd deffinitely like to see some statistics being stored in the ML too - all the extra data that is required is a play count, last date played and date added to library.

with a few additions to the ML query script this would allow lots of interesting results, eg:

New Music (could display everything added to the ML in the last 2 months)
Recently Listened To (everything played in the last week)
Never Played (tracks where the playcount is 0)
Top 25 Tracks (obviously just going on playcount)
Top 25 Tracks by an Artist (same as above but only if the artist field equals that specified)
Top 25 Albums/Artists (add up all the playcounts for each track on an album / by an artist then divides by the number of tracks and orders by this average figure)

these are just a few examples of how having that little bit of extra data could add quite a lot of functionality. of course you could also combine this with a rating for each track for even more possibilities.

anyway i hope this can get added some time, it's really the only major thing that other programs can do but winamp can't right now.
avatar_888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2003, 03:25   #5
Mgz

THERE IS ANOTHER EXCELLENT STATS PLUGINS @ http://www.synapseai.com/ , what is the point to waste more time when Winamp wishlist have A LOT of thing to do.
Mgz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2003, 04:12   #6
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Aah! Yes! The Brain.
I think it's included in my other list.
Old 19th October 2003, 09:21   #7

Send a message via ICQ to avatar_888 Send a message via AIM to avatar_888 Send a message via Yahoo to avatar_888
i found the brain had a very iratating bug where it would recognise several songs to be the same one - so some songs would end up with stupidly high play counts.

it also slows down winamp a LOT when your database gets large (over a couple of thousand and it was just taking way too long to load winamp).

i like the idea of the brain though - with a bit of work it could deffinitely be very cool, lets just hope these things get sorted.
avatar_888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2003, 15:36   #8
Veej007

i've tried the brain too. i guess it's good for learning some patterns of favorites, but can't do ANYTHING else. hardly a solution to all the things listed above.
Old 19th October 2003, 15:40   #9
Veej007

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ Egg
Maybe this will be implemented in a later WA5 release . . . ????

There actually used to be a Stats plugin included with an older 2.x version of Winamp (I wonder if anyone's kept a copy?).

which version? i'll try to find it...
Old 19th October 2003, 20:00   #10
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Can't remember, and can't find it at the mo.
It was very basic...

Did you look at any of the other plugins from my list?

eg. Statistic2 or Statistician

Anyways, I've added "stats" in the 5.0 Wishlist sticky thread (ml section).
Old 20th October 2003, 03:47   #11
Veej007

yeah, i've tried pretty much everything... all of them did funny things... crashed or whatever.

i suppose i could try again, but is it likely that they'd work with winamp 5 if they didn't function properly with 2.91?

related aside: i'm back to using 2.91 anyway, because wincue did very very strange things under 5b. it would disappear if i dragged it to the top of the screen too recklessly, and i couldn't "capture" it by making it snap to the main window again and then easymoving them back. i also tried changing my display resolution, thinking it'd pop back in at 640x480, but it didn't, and at that point i realized that it was just plum *gone*. so i uninstalled it and reinstalled, but still nothing. that's when i realized that the uninstall option wasn't functioning properly, and i had to manually remove all references to wincue with a registry edit before it would successfully reinstall. this happened twice under 5b, never happened on 2.x before or since.

i suppose this is a bug of some sort? should i post it as a bug report, or can you just forward it to the appropriate powers that be?
Old 20th October 2003, 04:40   #12
Wildrose-Wally
The Albertan

Seems to be a bug with the plugin. Contact the developer, he might have to update it to get it to work properly with Winamp5. It is of no concern really of the Nullsoft development team.

Wildrose-Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2003, 14:28   #13
asandvig

yeah, wincue's installer assumes winamp 2.x is intalled, i haven't tested it at all with winamp5 (will do in the future of course.. )
asandvig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2003, 03:19   #14
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Anders . . . why not start testing it now?
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=152845

Beta 2 might be coming to y'all soon, then there might be an rc and then the Final. Shouldn't be too long now.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Wishlist