Old 25th December 2011, 12:41   #1
Junior Member
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1
Winamp Wifi sync stalls in connect

This is to create a bug report for the bug described in the following thread in the Technical Support forum: http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=324730. I am also experiencing this.
The latest few comments (as of 2011-12-25) on the Winamp package in the Android Market also report this bug.

Description of the environment:

Winamp on PC:

- Winamp 5.623
- Win XP Pro SP3 on latest fix level
- Install:
- Uninstalled previous Winamp version including its preferences and plug-ins
- Installed from file winamp5623_full_emusic-7plus_all.exe
- Components: Those of Full install, plus Winamp Detector Plug-in, minus any languages but English and German
- Features: No toolbar, no AOL
- Additional Plug-ins: None
Winamp on Phone:

- Winamp 1.2.8 or 1.2.9 (the "About" entry in Settings shows 1.2.9, the BUILD section in the version history shows 1.2.8 as the latest)
- Android 2.3.3 as pre-installed
- Samsung Galaxy S2

Bug description:

When synchronizing playlists from PC to Phone via the Winamp Wifi sync service, the transfer repeatably stalls on some songs while displaying a status of "connect". This status does not change anymore once it happens (I waited for 15min in one case).

My Winamp media library is on a file server mounted as a Windows network drive (i.e. SMB/CIFS) and contains about 8000 titles, all encoded in MP3. Just wanted to mention this for completeness, I am generally able to sync from this media library.

How to reproduce the bug:

- Preconditions:
- Have an MP3 file that causes this to happen repeatably
- Have a playlist in Winamp that references this MP3 file
- Have the phone discovered and attached (Wifi sync service)
- Have the following sync preferences in the device (in Winamp on PC):
- sync only this playlist
- do not sync media library
- no transcoding
- Sync the playlist to the phone in any of the following ways:
- Sync of the device
- Send to device
Here is a link to a folder with an MP3 file that causes this to happen repeatably. If that link is expired, let me know (post here).

The MediaInfo output for this file is:
Complete name : (...)
Format : MPEG Audio
File size : 3.98 MiB
Duration : 2mn 56s
Overall bit rate : 189 Kbps
Album : (...)
Album/Performer : (...)
Part/Position : 1
Part/Total : 1
Track name : (...)
Track name/Position : 08
Performer : (...)
Genre : (...)
Recorded date : 2006
Writing library : LAME3.96r
File type : MPG/3
Size : 4171238

Format : MPEG Audio
Format version : Version 1
Format profile : Layer 3
Mode : Joint stereo
Duration : 2mn 56s
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 189 Kbps
Minimum bit rate : 128 Kbps
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Sampling rate : 44.1 KHz
Compression mode : Lossy
Stream size : 3.98 MiB (100%)
Writing library : LAME3.96r
Encoding settings : -m j -V 0 -q 0 -lowpass 19.5 --vbr-new -b 128


In a previous version, this file had a cover picture inside. I removed it to see whether that would be the problem, but it wasn't. Also, I have other MP3 files that sync successfully and that do have covers inside.

I compared the MediaInfo output of this MP3 file with others that synced successfully, and except for the Encoding settings line I could not find any relevant differences. The main difference on the Encoding settings line was the use of the --vbr-new option, but I have other MP3 files that also were created using this option and that sync successfully.

It must have to do with the file (at least in my case), since it absolutely repeatable (with any song on that particular CD).

Andi0661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Bug Reports

connect, hang, stall, sync, wifi

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump