Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > SHOUTcast > SHOUTcast Discussions

Old 20th November 2013, 18:19   #1
streamfinder

How does discontinuation of WinAmp affect ShoutCast?

Hi,
Just heard that WinAmp is being "shut down" December 20th.

http://www.winamp.com/media-player/en

How does this affect ShoutCast? Can we get an official comment on it please?

---------------------------------------------------

StreamFinder.com - Add your radio station to our free directory - get more exposure and listeners
streamfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2013, 19:34   #2
Atari-420

This is exactly what I wanted to know!
Vitally important to find out how this will impact Shoutcast asap!
Atari-420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2013, 19:37   #3
Blastbot

The fate of Shoutcast.com and Shoutcast servers

What will become of the Shoutcast.com site? Is it going to stay alive, or die off? What will be the fate of the development of Shoutcast servers?
Blastbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2013, 20:17   #4
Bryon Stout

Oh wow. :/
Bryon Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2013, 20:33   #5
Waves

Well it does say "Winamp.com and associated web services will no longer be available past December 20, 2013"

I think we should be bracing ourselves...
Waves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2013, 21:13   #6
Bryon Stout

well looks like the winamp store is no longer available.

Guess we cant buy any more licensing keys????

http://shop.winamp.com
Old 20th November 2013, 21:31   #7
DJ Matt

I saw this coming when they turned off all our AOL hosted streams a week ago.

My guess is that SHOUTcast is dead soon as well.

Matt...
Star104 Internet Radio
http://www.star104.net
Oldies104 Celebrating 14 years on the air! (Does anyone remember OldiesRadioNET.com?)
DJ Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2013, 21:39   #8
swing42

Bloody hell...

So what's the alternative? Is Icecast going to get a lot more popular all of a sudden?
swing42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2013, 21:45   #9
Jay
Moderator Alumni

I think it would be shocking if they shutdown the YP, simply because it represents so much traffic. Now, if there is no further development and no further improvement in the YP or SHOUTcast, it doesn't really matter, eventually it will go by the wayside. However, given that there have been releases very recently it would surprise me if SHOUTcast's YP is going anywhere anytime soon. (DrO?)

As far as the free bandwidth going away, that really doesn't surprise me. That was just a nice bonus for a select few.
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2013, 21:49   #10
jeffy777
Major Dude

If they do shut down the YP, would v2 still even work without the Authhash?
jeffy777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2013, 21:53   #11
Jay
Moderator Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffy777 View Post
If they do shut down the YP, would v2 still even work without the Authhash?
I wouldn't worry too much about that as that could be potentially patched.
Old 20th November 2013, 22:36   #12
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

I wanted to ask the same question, also, because many of my friends broadcast via SHOUTcast Radio (and not on Mixlr or Ustream). If at least SHOUTcast Radio would survive, then they wouldn't need to stop their radio-broadcasts...

Sabine Klare Aka Sternenmaschinebine
Music, Art, Lyrics, Videos
AMBIENT... AMBIENT music forever...
Sabine Klare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2013, 23:29   #13
S-uper_T-oast
Forum King

I've never been too big into the streaming side of shoutcast, but I have been listening in for 10+ years. There really is no other service like it, so hopefully even if it does get discontinued, something new will come up to fill the void.

I have a few ideas myself, and I'm personally paying close attention to technology like BitTorrent Live: http://live.bittorrent.com/
This service seems to be more designed for audio/visual streaming, but it shows the potential for a decentralized streaming system that is still controlled by a central broadcaster. By simplifying the system for only an audio transmission we could in theory make a swarm based streaming system for stations. The obvious problem would be clients that don't want to upload to the swarm, but based on the relatively small amount of bandwidth an individual client would need, it shouldn't be too problematic to allow clients to simply leech the stream.

That brings me to my first technical problem with shoutcast, do the servers actually stream to each individual client or do they use some multicasting intermediary? I should probably try and read up more on the actual functional side of shoutcast before I start theorizing solutions to a problem that doesn't exist yet, but any free technology to fill this potential void would have at least one person listening.

Either way, thank you all for keeping your stations and the shoutcast system itself running for so long.
S-uper_T-oast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2013, 23:46   #14
Jay
Moderator Alumni

SHOUTcast unicast. Peercasting has been around for over a decade and it hasn't gained much traction due to lack of player support. I doubt BitTorrent Live is any different but I will certainly check it out.

Edit: just checked it out, requires a download. That is a no go in the future IMO.
Old 21st November 2013, 00:11   #15
S-uper_T-oast
Forum King

By requires a download you mean you can't open a playlist in any media player and access the bittorent live stream?

My thought about bittorent live isn't that it is direct replacement for shoutcast, but that people are actively creating new ways to do a similar task. It may not even be necessary to reinvent the entire shoutcast system to that extent. The fundamental part of shoutcast seems to be a stand alone server that streams to each client. Even if winamp and associated services go down, it should be possible for the stations to keep serving their streams, they would just lose the centralized database. I don't know how the shoutcast licensing works, which I think would be the main problem for that possibility (which I assume you were talking about earlier with AuthHash)

Sorry for rambling my thoughts here, I'm in the process of reading up more about the shoutcast service so I should be able to think about it better in the future.
S-uper_T-oast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2013, 00:59   #16
Jay
Moderator Alumni

No, requires a download to use the service. Frankly this is what SHOUTcast and many others are trying to avoid for the future. There was a day when a download was required to listen to music online but with the advent of HTML5 those days are numbered.

So long as the protocol isn't embedded in the browser or OS it will be a tough sell. I like the thinking though.
Old 21st November 2013, 01:54   #17
DJ Matt

Oh and to further panic all the broadcasters here, I noticed that Microsoft is "transitioning" the tuner to "MSN Entertainment" which funnily enough has NO radio tuner on it, so it's a matter of killing that off

Apple pushed the Radio Tuner way in the back of iTunes to make room for iTunes Radio, and since they have similar names I see that one going away soon. So if you plan to keep getting listeners from somewhere I'd make sure you are listed in Receiva and TuneIn.

Matt...
Star104 Internet Radio
http://www.star104.net
Oldies104 Celebrating 14 years on the air! (Does anyone remember OldiesRadioNET.com?)
DJ Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2013, 02:32   #18
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

I had downloaded (saved) many .m3u- & .pls-files from the radio-websites onto my harddrive, and I had built a very large .m3u-file with the radio streams, which is available here (it should be saved at first):
http://www.lastfm.de/user/SabineKlar...sts_for_winamp

The user can still use their Winamp Media Player on their computers, and I hope, that my playlist will work also after the 20th December...

Sabine Klare Aka Sternenmaschinebine
Music, Art, Lyrics, Videos
AMBIENT... AMBIENT music forever...
Sabine Klare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2013, 14:04   #19
DJ-Garybaldy
Major Dude

it's bad enough that winamp has gone south. If AOL decide to remove the Shoutcast listings as well it will be a black day for internet radio....
DJ-Garybaldy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2013, 15:23   #20
kmpatra

A shutdown of shoutcast.com and YP would make thousands of radio stations disappear,many radio hosting providers to turn off services,a lot of applications for mobile devices to stop working and much more... I don't think that it's going to be true. I believe that shoucast.com will continue to exist,as only the winamp player project will stop.This is what I understand from the announcements. I also hope that this forum will continue to exist under shoutcast domain...An official answer is needed soon,although...
kmpatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2013, 16:36   #21
rockouthippie
Banned

I have a shoutcast station up. More people hit it with videolan and web radios than use Winamp. If shoutcast stays up, and I think Jay is right that it will, it will need a support forum. So is it this one .. moved?
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2013, 16:40   #22
DrO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockouthippie View Post
that the Winamp Android player has been rebranded shoutcast
really?
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2013, 16:43   #23
rockouthippie
Banned

redacted... I was wrong.

which is really going to suck because it was one of my favorite Android apps.

The iPhone player carries shoutcast branding and is not labeled "You snooze, you lose" like the Windows player.
Old 21st November 2013, 16:49   #24
TigerClaw

I wonder how this is going to affect sites that run there own shoutcast servers to broadcast live shows. Its practically easy to setup a shoutcast server on your own computer and such.
TigerClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2013, 18:22   #25
ColdTequila

Hi, DrO what does this mean?

Quote:
- Shoutcast (access, not the ability to play something alike, almost 100% confirmed, but there are alternatives like Icecast)
Does this mean that the Shoutcast Streams on my Server dont work anymore?
Or does the Server will work and people can listen to my Stream?
ColdTequila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2013, 19:13   #26
dotme

Clearly we're not to expect any information at this time regarding the future of Shoutcast. Someone knows something, but nobody's talking about it. Fair enough. Someone did point me to this story today though.

http://techcrunch.com/2013/11/21/sou...m-aol/?ncid=fb
dotme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2013, 19:21   #27
Jay
Moderator Alumni

dotme, if MS does take over SHOUTcast that could be good news to many broadcasters so long as they keep the spirit behind SHOUTcast alive.

If this is just a traffic deal then no bueno for anyone.
Old 22nd November 2013, 08:33   #28
rockouthippie
Banned

I'm a little confused about exactly what is for sale. The domains and webs are worth something. I'm having a little trouble understanding what the value of any services remaining is. i.e. the YP does not drive traffic.. webcasters provide more promotion to Winamp than vice versa. Will shoutcast stations just fold? Is any change a banana peel that already brittle webcasters will just trip on?

This is always something the industry hated. It's part of what smacked it down. Hmmm...

Microsoft already has a media player and media streaming products it never really did anything with.
Old 22nd November 2013, 20:25   #29
voodoohippie

Send a message via Yahoo to voodoohippie
Guys guys guys here is a little technical info to set you STRAIGHT!!

1. I'm sure Shoutcast is dead we knew this and Icecast will take over. Icecast is open source meaning YOU CAN'T KILL IT it is a community project.

2. Even if there is no Shoutcast directory you can still broadcast on services like:

l i s t e n 2 m y r a d i o . c o m

m y r a d i o s t r e a m . c o m

c a s t e r . c o m

f r e e s h o u t c a s t . c o m

All use their own directory and are Independent of Shoutcast's directory. Plus you can List your station in the iTunes, TuneIn, istreamradio directories (if you don't use l i s t e n 2 m y r a d i o or caster) and Turn OFF the yp and this will stop the errors caused by no yp server.

3. There is plenty of sites where one can Download the 100% loved and working Shoutcast 1.9.8 server to where one can rant a server and install one yourself if hosting services take Down Shoutcast.

4. Streamerp2p Radio is a nice p2p version of Shoutcast with a directory and requiring NO monthly fee so think about that one. Plus if you use a vpn your 100% anonymous.

5. This is the BEST alternative and this is to use djc media and icecast.

d j c m e d i a . c o m

This is what I was talking about when I said there is a new Icecast directory comming and more apps supporting it. So fear not http://startinternetradio.tk supports licensing for Icecast streams and they too have their own independent Radio directory that will not depend on Shoutcast. so if it dies your station still is on the air 24/7 and L E G A L.

6. There will always be Winamp clones most of them FREE and don't require a pro license.

7. AOL should before they take Down Winamp put up the Crack patch that allows Winamp Pro since they are throwing in the towel ANYWAY but don't count on it.

8. DONT TRUST AOL any future versions may have adware and spyware so scam any FREE versions of Winamp with anti malware programs like malwarebytes, Combofix, Spybot S&D.

9. Any future versions of Shoutcast WILL must likely have adware so don't Download anything newer than 1.9.8 and if your a Shoutcast host don't Download 2.x for there is no reason to do so because there will be NO yp directory so why give your customers a buggy piece of software that could be riddled with Adware and spyware.

10. I'm sure there will be a bac
or in future versions of Shoutcast where AOL could DDOS attack your Radio station anyway because I predict that they are going to have their own service. Remember the adware in AOL Messenger? Don't be fooled AOL is all about lining up their pockets and not about the future of Internet Radio.

Great Broadcasting Software Windows XP/7/8
http://nextkast.com

For Progressive Rock, Classic Rock http://thelegacy.shorturl.com
voodoohippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2013, 20:28   #30
DrO

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoohippie View Post
6. There will always be Winamp clones most of them FREE and don't require a pro license.

8. DONT TRUST AOL any future versions may have adware and spyware so scam any FREE versions of Winamp with anti malware programs like malwarebytes, Combofix, Spybot S&D.

9. Any future versions of Shoutcast WILL must likely have adware so don't Download anything newer than 1.9.8 and if your a Shoutcast host don't Download 2.x for there is no reason to do so because there will be NO yp directory so why give your customers a buggy piece of software that could be riddled with Adware and spyware.

10. I'm sure there will be a bac
or in future versions of Shoutcast where AOL could DDOS attack your Radio station anyway because I predict that they are going to have their own service. Remember the adware in AOL Messenger? Don't be fooled AOL is all about lining up their pockets and not about the future of Internet Radio.
you are so full of shit on all of those points.
Old 22nd November 2013, 20:29   #31
ThiefMaster

Send a message via ICQ to ThiefMaster Send a message via AIM to ThiefMaster Send a message via Yahoo to ThiefMaster
Not sure if troll or idiot or spammer or a mix of all three.
ThiefMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2013, 20:30   #32
DrO

based on all of his recent posts, trolling to pimp the service he keeps recommending is how i view it.
Old 22nd November 2013, 20:59   #33
voodoohippie

Not Trolling to Pimp shit just made a True statement. Winamp Clones are already out

Aimp for one. and plenty to come Open source and FREE from Adware, Spyware, hijack ware.

2. Even Live365 is N O T shoutcast dependent for they have their OWN version of a server.

3. I've USED streamer p2p Before I came to Shoutcast.

4. AOL has always used Adware in earlier versions of Internet with training wheels. We use to call AOL at the school for the Blind Internet with training wheels it was the biggest laugh when a teacher use to try and teach computers and we still to this day joke about AOL its the butt of every joke.

5. The ONLY thing that made Shoutcast more attractive than Icecast was the directory for stations that don't want to promote themselves and rely 100% on one directory for an audience.

6. If you D E P E N D on AOL or its staff to tell you step by stop what is about to happen is like looking for real fruit from an artificial tree. It A I N ' t h a p p e n i n g! ! !

So you can cry about dead Shoutcast or do something about it. I chose the latter and went Icecast. my station will be here for the long hall and if Icecast dies which won't happen soon then you move on. That is the way of technology. Layoffs are happening all over the place so like I said don't be fooled. Name calling ain't making your company look any less than the silliness than it already appears.

Have a nice life.

Old 22nd November 2013, 22:08   #34
voodoohippie

Had to change my signature and also state that enen LOUDcity will run without Shout cast YP. Just to be fair to LoudCity too.;

Old 22nd November 2013, 22:39   #35
Bryon Stout

get the fuck out of here with your spam bullshit
Old 23rd November 2013, 00:53   #36
voodoohippie

:If you read or know how to use Google or any other search engine you will see the facts. SPAM HARDLY. Tough to swallow for the sheep without a shepherd and knowledge most likely the latter.

Even if there is no more future development of Shout cast the software does not mean the Internet will end nor other sites who have the 1.9.8 Server you can Download.

The Protocol is and will always be use able. Educating others is the key if you really give a damn about Internet Radio. But the panic is not needed. So call me what you will doesn't change what has been laid in front of you. I posted Alternatives so sit and cry or buck up use it and dont attemp to shoot the messenger.

Old 23rd November 2013, 02:32   #37
jaromanda
Forum King

I wonder if what djcmedia refers to as accplus is actually aacPlus (HE-AAC) ... and if the latter, do they have the proper licensing for it

perhaps that's why they constantly (mis) refer to it as accplus

Is it just me or are shoutcast users getting dumber?
jaromanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2013, 05:06   #38
voodoohippie

I was a part of a Teleconference and Wes has a license for the Codec. Plus the Icecast server supports AAC+ so get your station listed in Vtuner and Pioneer Audio app and you will do better than the SC directory.

Better yet listen to the Teleconference and be educated. We knew and waited for this and now Wes is about to fix what is wrong with Internet Radio. He has talked about how important AAC+ is amung other things to promote and make your station better. Even the staff at iTunes who some would not list a station below 128K Mp3 when playing Music. This helps all 4K AAC+ stations Shoutcast or Icecast V2 KH.

There still is room for more education and with a passionate community with open minds willing to learn will we achieve our goals with or without Shoutcast which will still run without the YP.

Some apps like XiiaLive. This app could be re written for Icecast V2 since you can manually enter Icecast streams.

Now lets be clear DJCMedia did not invent Icecast V2 just to be clear. They are with AdsWizz however. So our stations will continue to thrive.

Old 23rd November 2013, 07:02   #39
sly2kusa

Great - don't I feel like a 5-star moron. I literally just bought the Pro version of Winamp and that $5 license. Setup a station out here back on the 18th.

Now I find this thread. Great - stellar - fantastic.

So glad I did all of this before realizing that it is all going away in the not too distant future.

fml...
sly2kusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2013, 07:40   #40
jaromanda
Forum King

Quote:
I was a part of a Teleconference and Wes has a license for the Codec.
not sure how a teleconference is relevant to the license

Quote:
Better yet listen to the Teleconference and be educated.
I googled "the Teleconference", and unfortunately couldn't locate it

Quote:
Now lets be clear DJCMedia did not invent Icecast V2 just to be clear.
I'm sure nobody even considered the possibility that an outfit less than 5 years old (more like 2) had anything to do with icecast 2, which was started over 12 years ago

OH LOL ... djcmedia are not playing by the rules at all ... they offer MY edcast standalone and winamps old enc_aacplus.dll and say "use these to stream aac+" ... which is one of the reasons oddsock had to take down edcast in the first place ...

Is it just me or are shoutcast users getting dumber?
jaromanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > SHOUTcast > SHOUTcast Discussions