Old 30th January 2014, 11:38   #1
blee0518

Lost like a white boy in the ghetto on configuration...

So I am new to shoutcast. After downloading i go to configure the thing and im like a deer in the headlights. I tried reading the information on the site and the wiki stuff. That only made me more lost. Is there an easy maybe tutorial on setting this up for streaming music and other live audio....? (where is that banging his head on desk smiley when you need it.)

I am trying to get an online radio station going. Was directed this was because shoutcast has been around a while and hear good things but i have never been so stumped on any other computer related stuff.

thanks blee
blee0518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2014, 18:21   #2
BennieBlount

Are you planning to use one of the shoutcast hosting services or do you plan to use your home computer as a server?
BennieBlount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2014, 00:06   #3
blee0518

Be using my computer as a server
Old 31st January 2014, 13:18   #4
BennieBlount

Sorry, but I'm gonna have to bow out at this point, I'm sure there are plenty of experts on this forum who can explain how to setup your own server. Years ago I setup my own server (DNAS, etc) but soon realized that I did not have enough bandwith to adequately broadcast a stream so I decided to pay a couple dollars a month for a Shoutcast server. To me this was the better and easiest choice - just downloaded WinAmp and its DSP plugin, entered my server info and started broadcasting. But I can also understand wanting to setup one's own server.

I'm not an advocate or seller of Shoutcast hosting, but for me it is just a good deal - inexpensive, instant setup, no worry about running out of bandwith if too many people connect to my stream, etc. Plus most Shoutcast hosting services include free web space and CentovaCast, a great tool for enhancing an internet radio station.

Just a suggestion
Old 31st January 2014, 14:06   #5
blee0518

have you ever tried listen2myradio.com?
Old 31st January 2014, 20:34   #6
BennieBlount

Have not used that one. But over the years I have used quite a few different ones. Good thing is that most of the Shoutcast hosting services are on a monthly basis so you can change them if needed.
Another point to consider is to choose a server as close to you as possible - the closer you are to your server the less hops your stream has to make to get to the server. Too many hops can lead to buffering, no one wants to listen to music that stops and starts constantly.
Many, but not all, give you a choice of server locations. For example my service offers servers in the US and UK. Since I'm in Texas I chose a server in Dallas and it works great.

An internet search for "Shoutcast hosting" will yield a good list to choose from. I suggest you look at all of them, some offer specials at reduced rates. But always make sure CentovaCast is offered free as part of the package. Its a great tool.
Old 10th February 2014, 13:53   #7
DrO

assuming that the v2.2.1 DNAS (current at time of reply) had been downloaded, it's clearly set out in the included documentation that you can run 'setup' and that'll get the DNAS up and running as needed with a simple configuration (which can be edited later on as needed).

otherwise, as has been suggested, using a hosting provider will take a lot of the pain out of setting up things if you're not that tech savvy but it'll cost you more than just paying for your home internet access (assuming that it's TOS allows you to stream from there anyway).
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > SHOUTcast > SHOUTcast Discussions