Old 2nd January 2005, 01:24   #1
ndnxtc

Classix Notifier CD Image not displayed

I have Winamp 5.07 with the Classix skin, which has its own notifier. There's an option to display the CD image in the notification window whenever a new song comes on (which requires an internet connection), and I checked this option, but it never works. Has anyone else ever had this problem?
ndnxtc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2005, 01:30   #2
JonnyMac

From the Common Issues section of the Troubleshooters Sticky...

Winamp 5.05 breaks Open Source Notifier cover art
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=191739
Also includes WA versions above 5.05

BTW Winamp 5.08 is the current version.

Please do not PM me for tech support. Any request for tech support through PM will be ignored.
Read the Stickies
---> | | | | <--- Knowledge is power
JonnyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2005, 02:34   #3
ndnxtc

Ahh sorry about that. I searched but that thread title didn't seem to refer to my problem. Thanks for the info.
ndnxtc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2005, 02:53   #4
JonnyMac

No problem. Just incase you did not see following in the thread link, a suggested plug-in alternative is Toaster. Happy Winamping
JonnyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2005, 03:49   #5
allan

I also have 5.07 and i can't get the notifier to show any album art.Has anybody found out why? 5.03 did show album art, I miss it Please help
allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2005, 04:07   #6
drewbar
Sawg 2.0
Major Dude

allan, scroll up and read the thread....

Quote:
Originally posted by JonnyMac
From the Common Issues section of the Troubleshooters Sticky...

Winamp 5.05 breaks Open Source Notifier cover art
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=191739
Also includes WA versions above 5.05

Count with us!
Jan 1st, 12AM (PST, GMT -8) 2010 - 282,246
drewbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2005, 04:28   #7
allan

I Must not understand. I cant find anything that explains what I need to do. I tried the Toaster it did not show album art either. I have 5.07 and I am connected to the internet with high speed 3 meg cable. Confounded
Old 18th January 2005, 13:14   #8
roth377

Quote:
Originally posted by allan
I Must not understand. I cant find anything that explains what I need to do. I tried the Toaster it did not show album art either. I have 5.07 and I am connected to the internet with high speed 3 meg cable. Confounded
I believe Toaster works only with album art files you have on your computer (for example, folder.jpg). I don't think it goes out to the internet. Hope this helps.
roth377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2005, 14:54   #9
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Which Classix modern skin are you using?

One of these?
http://www.winamp.com/skins/details.php?id=142081
http://www.winamp.com/skins/details.php?id=138934

For the Notifier to work with these skins, you need to unzip the skin.

Go to the Winamp\Skins folder
right click on the relevant .wal file
select "rename"
Rename it from *.wal to *.zip
Now unzip it to a new folder, eg. Winamp\Skins\Classix

You can now delete the original .wal file.

The open-source Notifier will now work again

Basically, the security fix in Winamp 5.05 broke the open-source notifier, because html files can no longer be run from within .wal files (due to a potential critical security flaw).

I'm sure all this is explained in the thread linked to by JM & drewbar...
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2005, 16:45   #10
allan

I am using a modern skin called EPS High end system V1 test on winamp 5.07. From what I have been reading the album art is no longer available. I hope they can fix this. Thanx to all of you for your help. I am going to put 5.03 back on my computer, That should fix this problem. Thanx again!
Old 18th January 2005, 17:00   #11
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

C'mon. Show some initiative
The same instructions apply to any .wal skin.
Extract it to a folder and the notifier will work again.

5.08 is recommended, not bug-filled 5.03
Old 18th January 2005, 17:54   #12
allan

I'm Sorry I just looked in the skins folder, these instructions do not make sense to me. I'm not a computer wiz. please elaborate.Is this skin folder the one in program files? If so,What is the relevant file? I'm sorry its just confusing. do you have more compete instructions? Many Thanx, I'm have more initiative that Knowlege.
Old 18th January 2005, 18:06   #13
roth377

Quote:
I'm Sorry I just looked in the skins folder, these instructions do not make sense to me. I'm not a computer wiz. please elaborate.Is this skin folder the one in program files? If so,What is the relevant file? I'm sorry its just confusing. do you have more compete instructions? Many Thanx, I'm have more initiative that Knowlege.
The skins folder is the one included in program files/winamp. Within the skins folder, you will see alot of files with either .wsz or .wal extensions. These are basically "zipped" (compressed) files, so in order to work with them simply rename it from example.wal to example.zip. This will then allow you to use winzip (or another compression utility) to extract it's contents. The extracted contents (should) all exist in a folder (uncompressing example.zip should give you an 'example' folder with the contents). Once it's in this state, the notifier should now work again. Once you have an 'example' folder, you should be able to delete your example.zip file.
Old 18th January 2005, 18:29   #14
allan

Hi roth377 in my skins folder there is only 1 folder and 5 winamp extention installation files. the folder is named winamp modern and an example extention file is EPS_High_End_System_v1_test. I do not see any .wsz or .wal extentions. This is where I'm loosing what I should do.
Old 18th January 2005, 18:40   #15
roth377

Quote:
Hi roth377 in my skins folder there is only 1 folder and 5 winamp extention installation files. the folder is named winamp modern and an example extention file is EPS_High_End_System_v1_test. I do not see any .wsz or .wal extentions. This is where I'm loosing what I should do.
It sounds like you have extension hidden (which I believe windows does by default). This is generally a setting I HIGHLY recommend changing (as it's how many virus writers dupe computer users). For example, a text file you named story may be listed on your computer as 'story' and not 'story.txt'. I state that because the EPS file you mention SHOULD be the skin that's giving you problems, and SHOULD be a .wal file.

If you want to show extensions (again, I highly suggest doing so), you need to open any directory and click 'tools' and then 'folder options' in the menu. From there, click the 'view' tab. Under the advanced settings, you want to UNcheck 'hide extensions of known file types'.
Old 18th January 2005, 19:12   #16
allan

we have a partial bullseye, you were right on file extensions. I fixed that problem. also correct on the EPS file was the .wal file. However, I renamed it to a .zip and unziped it with winrar and put that unzipped file in the same place the .wal file is and removed the left over zip file. and all i get is the old classic version of winamp looks like version 2.0 what did I do wrong now? I still have both the zip and the unzipped file. Thanx again.
Old 18th January 2005, 19:14   #17
roth377

If I understand you correctly, you may need to choose your skin in winamp's preferences again. You (in a sense) "removed" the skin winamp was using, so it may have reverted back to a classic skin.

Go in winamp's main menu and go to the skins menu, and your EPS should still be listed.
Old 18th January 2005, 19:15   #18
allan

Oh I also tried emptying out the new unzipped file into this same place. but it did not help. I put the zip file back in and renamed it to .wal and everything is back to where I started. but the notifier still shows no album art.
Old 18th January 2005, 19:20   #19
roth377

I'm assuming you responded before my last message came up. So if you still need to test that out, be sure to "re"-remove that .wal file and keep the folder version in the skins directory.
Old 18th January 2005, 19:33   #20
allan

OK, yes on that assumtion. I have now put everything back the way it was to start with and have the modern eps skin working again. from there I renamed it, unzipped it, put the unzipped folder in and took out the renamed original file. started winamp and chose the new unzipped folder i created in the skins directory and it still reverted back to an old classic skin. any Ideas?
Old 18th January 2005, 19:39   #21
roth377

My only thought is that perhaps there is an extra folder within your EPS folder. WHen you open the EPS folder, is there simply another folder called 'EPS...test'. If so, you may need to move the contents of THAT directory up a level. That way you have EPS\[Skin files] and NOT EPS\EPS\[Skin files]

To give you an example of what I mean, look at the 'modern' folder. THere's only the one 'modern' folder , and within that is all the other files and folders.

Am I making any sense???
Old 18th January 2005, 19:39   #22
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

What's your Window OS?
Both Windows XP and Windows ME come with a built-in tool to extract zip files.

Basically, you make sure extensions are showing in Folder Options, as instructed by roth377 above...

In Explorer, go to the Program Files\Winamp\Skins folder
Right click EPS_High_End_System_v1_test.wal
Select "rename"
Rename it to:
EPS_High_End_System_v1_test.zip
Then right click it again and select: "Extract All"

The folder it suggests to extract to should suffice, ie.
Program Files\Winamp\Skins\EPS_High_End_System_v1_test

You should now see a new folder "EPS_High_End_System_v1_test"
and all the files from the zip will be inside it.

Delete the original .zip file
then select the skin from the winamp menu.

Note, this the exact same way that the default Winamp Modern skin works.
Which is why there's a "Winamp Modern" subfolder in the Skins folder, and no Winamp_Modern.wal file.

If you don't have Windows XP or ME, then yes, you'll have to use a program like WinZip or WinRar to extract the files from the .zip.

Please post back to say "Yay, I understood, I did as you said, and now it's working" :/
Old 18th January 2005, 19:50   #23
allan

It's Working!!! I had to deviate a little from your instructions this time do to running winrar. but it worked, I now have my album art back. Thanx for all your patiance. you guys are allright keep up the good work!
Old 18th January 2005, 20:00   #24
roth377

Good to hear
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support