Old 5th January 2009, 20:30   #1
rkoss

Low volume control

I need help with my volume control. I dont know when the error started but the volume control in winamp only allows 1/3 of the total volume output of my speakers. Other applications can utilize the full output but when Winamp is full volume, its still very quite. I cant figure out why. any one have any insight on this?? Please help!!!!
rkoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2009, 08:31   #2
Sawg
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to Sawg Send a message via AIM to Sawg Send a message via Yahoo to Sawg
There is a volume slider in Winamp, slide it all the way to the right.

| Brought to you by ^V ^C | The one... the original... no seriously!
Sawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2009, 17:32   #3
rkoss

it is... haha thanks... its not that simple lol. I have all the volume controls maxed.
Old 10th January 2009, 06:01   #4
Dawnrazor

Quote:
Originally posted by rkoss
it is... haha thanks... its not that simple lol. I have all the volume controls maxed.
How about the one entitled "Wave" in the master volume control.

If this is not maxed, then winamp will be lower at least on my system.
Dawnrazor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2009, 01:24   #5
rkoss

I have ALL volume functions MAXED. When I use another application (ex windows media player) the volume levels are loud and I receive full output from my speakers. When I use winamp, it is quit and faint. and YES the volume control on winamp is maxed!!
Old 14th January 2009, 13:04   #6
Alzberger

I have the same problem as rkoss.
WMP11, 1by1, Helium, VLC, everything is loud,
only the Winamp is very quiet.
I use the newest Winamp, Vista 64 Ultimate
and the Soundcard is a Creative X-Fi
Titanium Fatal1ty Champion.

Greetings
Alzberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2009, 20:30   #7
rkoss

So I still dont have a solution and have been stuck using windows media player does anyone have any ideas out there??
Old 3rd March 2009, 02:37   #8
marz045

Check the equaliser (Alt+G). make sure the pre amp (the leftmost slider) is at +0.0dB or if you don't use the equaliser just turn it off.
marz045 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2009, 04:54   #9
rkoss

Excellent thought but no... I have tried all options with the pre-amp... still no luck... Thanks though... any other thoughts anyone??
Old 30th April 2009, 17:25   #10
Gringo67

Same problem

I have the same problem. The volume out of winamp is low compared to other applications. The volume sounds attenuated by at least 12 dB.

I am using version 5.552. I have used previous versions, and the last was version 5.33. All previous installations 'hooked' the wav volume slider in Windows XP volume control. As I slid the Winamp volume control, I could watch Windows' Wav volume slider move. This no longer happens.

Because of this problem, all other applications including Windows XP, that play wav files play them louder than Winamp and nearly blow me out of my chair. Also, I run Cool Edit. When I send an mp3 to Cool Edit, it plays the mp3 file much louder. This presents normalizing problems. If I need to raise or lower an mp3's volume to match other mp3s in a playlist, I don't know where to set the volume.

How do I fix this? This is a serious problem.

Edit:

After posting the above, I removed the Winamp installation, then restarted my computer and cleaned my registry of all references to winamp with CCleaner. My system is now restarted, winamp is again installed, and I still have this problem. The 'hook' to Sound Volume's Wav slider is not present (the slider does not move when I slide Winamp's volume slider).

I have a Soundblaster Live 24 bit sound card. The driver being used is from Creative, is version 5.12.1.514, and is dated 6/13/2007. This driver is up to date.

Device Manager shows that the Soundblaster Live driver is being used.

Device Manager lists these Legacy Audio Drivers --

ROOT/MEDIA/MS_MMDRV

Device manager lists these Audio Codecs --

IMA ADPCM Audio CODEC
Microsoft ADPCM Audio CODEC
Microsoft CCITT G.711 Audio CODEC
DSP Group True Speech(TM) Audio CODEC
msg723.acm
Windows Media Audio Codec
Spiro Lab Telecom Audio Codec
Indeo audio software
Fraunhofer IIS MPG Layer-3 Codec
Microsoft PCM Converter

The priority order for these are the same as lsited, with IMA ADPCM having priority of 1.

Task Manager shows no processes running that are related to sound (that I recognize) other than Winamp and SndVol except for iTunes Helper.

Winamp is version 5.552.

I really need this fixed. Please help!

Last edited by Gringo67; 30th April 2009 at 18:12.
Gringo67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2009, 13:07   #11
Gringo67

Answer

ANSWER:

In Preferences/Plug-ins/Output choose Nullsoft Waveout Output. This will correct the problem. Windows' volume control will not track Winamp's volume setting in real time, but if you open Windows volume control after you've changed Winamp's volume, you'll see that the Wave volume slider sits where your Winamp volume slider is set. This allows all other sound applications to track the volume setting of Winamp, making it easy to hard wire an mp3's normal volume with a sound editing program.
Gringo67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2009, 14:46   #12
emx7

Thanks Gringo67! I was messing with all the settings, including that of the DS Output. Thought about using Waveout but then lost it... I said it's not that. So close!

On 7 x64, the speakers and other apps sliders sit there while Winamps' slider in the Volume Mixer moves in sync with the one built into Winamp.

Thanks again for pointing it out!
emx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support