Old 15th June 2011, 03:38   #1
the-ownage

"Easiest way" to REFRESH the Media Library?

I have browsed for support on this simple topic for days and have never come across a definite answer, so here's my question:
What is the easiest way to refresh the media library?

I ask this because when people constantly move music into the specified music folder or rip cds into the music folder, it is nice to have a media library that is in sync with their music folder.

I USED TO: restart Winamp. It was tedious, but effective in the past, UNTIL that stopped working-- and in like sense, scenarios where there were manually deleted albums within the music folder itself still showed up AND AS CORRUPT in Winamp, (not able to be played back because a path had changed or been removed or the like).

Today I found: Rescan Media under Watch Folders-- a hidden hard to find and very powerful preference that is turned off by default:

I was surprised that this wasn't checked as a default application preference; who wouldn't want this? It doesn't seem to slow down Winamp upon startup, (I haven't noticed even a second longer of wait time with about 75 albums in the media library, anyway). Lastly, I felt it was a bit misleading to call the "Music Library" a "Watch Folder" without showing the folder was included in the image above-- I guess the Music Folder is an invisible watch folder...
  • Is there an easier way to do this? Maybe a button, or a way to have the library automatically rescan constantly-- a live & automatic synchronization?
  • Is this shortcut the same thing as clicking the Rescan Now button in the image above?
  • Wouldn't you think that this whole library should be programmed differently if Winamp doesn't allow a live synchronization between the music folder and music library?

Thanks for the support
the-ownage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2011, 09:31   #2
fwd079

Thanks !

Much help, indeed, never knew I could refresh in this way. Thanks
fwd079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2011, 13:10   #3
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi the-ownage,

You are making a lot of bad assumptions. Many users are content with guessing their
way thru stuff. That approach will not work well with Winamp and its many plugins.

Winamp can provide dozens of ways to enjoy digital media. To get the most out of it, you
need to read the official documentation. I suggest you start with the main Help page and
the Winamp Preferences guide.

http://www.winamp.com/help/Main_Page

http://www.winamp.com/help/Winamp_Preferences_guide
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2011, 17:32   #4
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
i don't think that stuff should be on by default, however i do think that winamp should make you aware of those options when you first configure it and tell it where your music is.

in addition, i do think winamp should add the option to "detect changes on HD" which would be automatic, so that when something was added to watch folders, it was automatically scanned.

its worth pointing out that a scan is not enough, but you also have to change views, in the left hand nav tree.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2012, 12:23   #5
djeddieo

I don't want to jump to conclusions about cause and effect, but I'm having huge problems with Winamp, and it seems they started after I read this thread and followed the steps in the first post. I had been using Winamp (with Edcast plugin) to feed an Icecast server, 24/7, loading playlists a few at a time. When I downloaded some new files that I wanted to add to the webstream, I did a "rescan now" as the OP suggested. It took only a few seconds, and when I still couldn't find the new files, I clicked "add folder" as in the image above, and selected the folder where I store all my music files, E:\My Music, and clicked "rescan now" again, and this time it took substantially longer, as one would expect for 39000+ files, 76+GB (really just a few minutes). Since I use iTunes to sort my music into 130+ playlists, I also added E:\My Music\iTunes, perhaps ill-advisedly. I found the new files, added them to my Winamp playlist and they seemed to play fine. Some time later, listeners reported not being able to hear the webstream. Since my Icecast server was running fine, it was suggested that I restart Winamp. After restart, tracks "play" in Winamp at, like 50 times normal speed, and I get no audio (that's if I click the play button). If I double-click a file in the playlist, I often get an alert from "Nullsoft Disk Writer v2.14" saying "File already exists. Overwrite?"

Let me also say that my files are almost all mp3, not wav, and I don't save files like that. In E:\My Music, I usually save files as "Artist - Title.mp3", though the file in that alert above has an especially convoluted path:

Winamp must have created that wav file, and I don't know why (i.e. I don't know what I did to make Winamp create the file.

Perhaps unrelated to my current Winamp problem, I stumbled upon another odd occurrence: dozens of files have appeared in My Documents (E:\My Documents) that are recordings of parts of my webstream.

"fresh & tasty indie rock & pop!!" was the metadata I had set up in an app called mixxx, which I had been using for the webstream before I installed Winamp on 10/28, the date these files started appearing....

I'm hoping Mr. Sinatra or another Winamp expert might be able to guide me back to using Winamp successfully, if not figure out what I did wrong in the first place. Thanks for any assistance.
djeddieo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2012, 13:01   #6
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi djeddieo,

Somehow your output plug-in has been changed to the Disk Writer. Instead of playing your songs they are being written to your drive in wav format. Change the output plug-in back to what it should be and delete all those wavs to get your drive storage space back.

Look in General Preferences (Ctrl + P) - Plug-ins - Output and select (highlight) the correct plug-in on the right side.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Quinto Black CT v3.6 skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v21H2 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Old 1st November 2012, 14:21   #7
djeddieo

wow, thank you so much!!! all that explanation I wrote masked the simplest screw-up imaginable: I simply mis-clicked after adjusting crossfade in Output! If you're still online, check out my webstream, live.djeddieo.com; I believe I'm back on the air, thanks to you!!
Old 1st November 2012, 14:53   #8
Aminifu
Forum King

We've all done similar things, at some point.

Happy DJ-ing!!!

Old 1st November 2012, 18:29   #9
djeddieo

Back to the original intent of this thread, refreshing the library. Since my music is already organized in dozens of iTunes playlists, I prefer to grab my Winamp playlist from those iTunes sets. It doesn't appear, however, that new additions to the iTunes playlists are reflected in that playlist as it appears on Winamp, even after a refresh.

In the photo above for example, new additions to that playlist in the middle screen are not there, even after a refresh.
Old 1st November 2012, 18:55   #10
MrSinatra
Forum King

rescan is one thing, refresh is another.

i don't use itunes, so u have to explain. do you have playlist txt files or something that itunes makes that you want winamp to use?

--
Old 1st November 2012, 19:06   #11
djeddieo

Winamp shows my music as it's organized in iTunes; it did that from the start. In the top photo of my last post, you can see 27 numbered playlists among others. Winamp got those from its original scan of my library I suppose. The 9 files in the Winamp center screen in that photo are the original contents of a playlist that has since had files added, as seen in the iTunes image below it. I did say "refresh" but "rescan" is the word Winamp uses in that Watch Folders menu, as in "rescan now." I've clicked "rescan now" a number of times, but the contents of the playlists hasn't changed.
Old 1st November 2012, 19:15   #12
MrSinatra
Forum King

i won't be much help here. i'm sure you could delete the playlist from winamp and re-add it manually, and then get the updates, but you want more than that i'm guessing, and i don't know if its possible or how to go about it, mostly b/c i don't use itunes, and barely use playlists.

be sure to right click "playlists" in the nav tree and also check the playlist options in prefs.

ps. "rescan" is a term for scanning the HD, while "refresh" is a term for updating the view, usually after a rescan. so if u added stuff, u scanned or rescanned, and then afterwards you'd click, for example, "clear search" to refresh the view to show you whats now different, post rescanning.

--
Old 2nd November 2012, 12:49   #13
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi djeddieo,

The Winamp rescan options on the Watch folders tab are for maintaining the media library database (adds metadata from files added to watch folders and removes metadata for files removed from watch folders). File metadata changes that do not also cause the file's modified date to be updated are not picked up by these rescans. Selecting a media library view that allows selecting the changed file(s) or all files and then selecting the right click command to "Read metadata on selected items" will guarantee all changes are picked up.

Winamp does not automatically maintain playlists, the way iTunes does. The user has to manually add items to playlists with Winamp (using drag & drop or context menu commands).

All songs played by Winamp are added to a generic playlist displayed in the Winamp playlist editor window. This list is maintained between Winamp sessions and will continue to grow without limit, if the user does not replace it or remove items from it. The user may select all or part of this list and save the selection as a playlist with a name (and to a location) chosen by the user. Previously saved playlists may be selected by the user to replace, or add to, the generic list displayed in the playlist editor window.

A copy of saved playlists may be added to the media library so that the contents of these lists may be easily viewed or selected for playback. The playlists shown in the media library are copies of the actual playlists and changes to the actual playlists are not automatically updated in these media library copies. The old copies must be deleted and new copies of the changed playlists must be added in order to see the changes. Right click on the "Playlists" heading on the left side of the media library window to select commands to manage adding copies of playlists to (and sorting them within) the media library. Right click on the playlists copies themselves to select the delete command. Pointers to the actual playlist would be better than forcing the user to manually maintain sync with changed lists, and the request for that change has already been made.

Instead of smart playlists, Winamp has a feature called 'Smart Views'. It is more powerful that the iTunes smart playlists feature, imo. Smart views can generate lists of files like those in the iTunes smart playlists, and many more combinations, according to simple or advanced user selectable metadata filtering criteria. After a smart view list is generated, it can be copied to the Winamp playlist editor for playback and/or saved as a playlist with a name (and to a location) chosen by the user.

On the left side of the media library window is the "Local Media" heading and it's sub-headings. Each of these headings allow for the selection of a view or list that is basically a smart view provided by the Winamp developers. Right click on any of these headings and select the 'Edit View' command to make changes (not recommended) or select the 'Add Smart View' command to create a customized view or list.

Old 9th November 2012, 18:09   #14
djeddieo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
Hi djeddieo,

...... Selecting a media library view that allows selecting the changed file(s) or all files and then selecting the right click command to "Read metadata on selected items" will guarantee all changes are picked up.....
Can you elaborate on that, or "dumb it down" a little so I can wrap my head around it? In the screen shot of Winamp above, let's take, for example the playlist djeddieo HOUSE..1 at the top. Assumining I had updated the contents in iTunes since Winamp originally scanned it, are you saying I right-click that entry under Media Library?
Old 9th November 2012, 18:50   #15
MrSinatra
Forum King

he is talking strictly about updating the metadata in the Media Library.

the playlists and their windows are not really a part of the ML. in the ML, pick a song, and right click, and you will see the command he is talking about.

--
Old 9th November 2012, 20:01   #16
djeddieo

forgive my density MrSinatra, but in my screengrab photo above, am I not looking at a "media library view" in the upper left hand corner? I see tabs marked Media Library, Video, Visualization and Browser, and I've selected Media Library. In any event, he amount of updating I'm hoping to do is not something I can undertake song by song.
I saw a tip elsewhere online about importing the iTunes Library and playlists, presumably for the first time:

Is there a way to delete my iTunes Library and then re-import it?
Old 9th November 2012, 20:23   #17
MrSinatra
Forum King

to do what he is saying, you would need to click "Audio" on the lefthand side, whereas the screenshot above has "Devices" highlighted.

u will have to experiment with the itunes db stuff, i don't use it so i've never done that to know.

--
Old 9th November 2012, 21:53   #18
djeddieo

you misunderstood my post MrSinatra; when I said "in my screengrab photo above," I meant the photo ABOVE that post, and in that photo, "Playlists" is highlighted (though not visible in the screengrab. In the photo BELOW my post, which you reference, the point is that "Library" is what is clicked to get to those iTunes commands. I know you don't use iTunes and can't fathom why I or anyone else would, but let me repeat that last question of mine:

Is there a way to delete my iTunes Library and then re-import it?
Old 9th November 2012, 23:03   #19
MrSinatra
Forum King

i don't believe i've misunderstood ANYTHING. i think i explained what Aminifu was trying to tell you, which you had asked about. i purposely used the screenshot in post 16 to do so.

regardless, as to how to make itunes do this or that i have no idea. the itunes DB commands in winamp are for syncing winamp's DB to itunes, or itunes DB to winamp's.

--
Old 9th November 2012, 23:09   #20
MrSinatra
Forum King

what plugins do u run? your dialog in post 16 is NOT what i get when i click my library button, i get whats in post 1.

what ver winamp do you have? post your one for nunz list.

--
Old 10th November 2012, 13:34   #21
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi djeddieo,

Let me try to summarize. It is not my intention to insult anyone, so please do not take offense at the way I'm phrasing things.

In your post #14 you asked two questions. MrSinatra answered the first question which was reguarding the reference to my post that you included in yours. The answer to your second question is yes, you would have to right click on the playlist djeddieo HOUSE..1 and select the command to delete it. Then re-import the playlist djeddieo HOUSE..1 to see the updated contents you made in iTunes since Winamp originally imported the playlist djeddieo HOUSE..1.

As to your post #16, you are aware that media files (songs, video, podcasts, etc) and playlists (lists of media files) are two separate things. Right?,... right. Files are handled one way and playlists are handled another.

Your 1st question in post #16 again references the reference to my post that you included in your post #14. The answer is yes, you're looking at a media library view, but you're not looking at a "media library view that allows selecting the changed file(s) or all files". If you are looking to update the Winamp library database for metadata changes in the media files, that does not have to be done file by file. If you are looking to sync your playlists, that does have to be done playlist by playlist.

As to your 2nd question in your post #16, which is repeated in your post #18; once you import the metadata (for your media files) from your iTunes database it is no longer separate from the metadata that was already in the Winamp library database. Unless something was included with each record (like a comment tag) to identify the data from iTunes, then the only reasonable way to delete that information from the Winamp library database is to delete the entire Winamp library database. Then you can rebuild the Winamp library database using the various ways available (scanning watch folders, adding data from files played, adding data imported from elsewhere, using the Winamp tag editor, etc).

Some media file formats (like .wav) do not use tags. Winamp does allow metadata to be put in its library database and associated with a media file that does not use tags.

Old 10th November 2012, 14:51   #22
MrSinatra
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
what plugins do u run? your dialog in post 16 is NOT what i get when i click my library button, i get whats in post 1.

i'd really like to know how he got those commands he underlined in red in post 16. do you know?

--
Old 10th November 2012, 16:56   #23
DrO

most likely an old version of ml_impex - this is why people are told to post plugin lists (http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....161361#plugins) as that's a few posts and peoples time wasted guessing at things without the exact details being provided!
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2012, 12:08   #24
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi djeddieo,

Sorry for possibly confusing you by implying in my posts that playlists are not files. They certainly are. Everything stored on a computer are files of one kind or another.

The key point is that playlist data files are handled differently than media data files. Using an older version of Winamp does not change that.

Old 14th November 2012, 17:33   #25
djeddieo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
It is not my intention to insult anyone, so please do not take offense at the way I'm phrasing things.
no worries...I take no offense. I asked you to "dumb it down" for good reason! Remember the Denzel Washington character in "Philadelphia"? "Explain it to me like I'm a four-year-old" was his mantra, and I could make it mine!

Quote:
i'd really like to know how he got those commands he underlined in red in post 16. do you know?
Quote:
Winamp v.5.63(x86) with edcast plugin, plus whatever's on the attached list that Nunz generated. That image in post #16 is one I found on an Apple forum, but it's exactly what I see as well.
Attached Files
File Type: txt my_plugin_list.txt (21.9 KB, 493 views)
Old 14th November 2012, 19:58   #26
MrSinatra
Forum King

it must be edcast giving you those extra lines in red. but whatever it is, it isn't "normal" winamp, and therefore its not supported.

also, your one for nunz should be 5.11 not 5.1 so either it is, and its just not reporting the second 1, or you're using an older version.

http://nunzioweb.com/daz/14nunz.html

--
Old 14th November 2012, 20:19   #27
djeddieo

Quote:
it must be edcast giving you those extra lines in red. but whatever it is, it isn't "normal" winamp, and therefore its not supported.

also, your one for nunz should be 5.11 not 5.1 so either it is, and its just not reporting the second 1, or you're using an older version.

http://nunzioweb.com/daz/14nunz.html
Well, I don't know where I got them, but they certainly make "refreshing my iTunes playlists" doable, if not effortless. As for the nunz plug-in, I only just installed it because you asked for the list it provides, and I used the link Dr. O provided in his post above:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
most likely an old version of ml_impex - this is why people are told to post plugin lists (http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....161361#plugins) as that's a few posts and peoples time wasted guessing at things without the exact details being provided!
Old 14th November 2012, 20:39   #28
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi djeddieo,

The link indirectly provided by DrO does point to an older version of the plug-in. The link MrSinatra provided points to the current version on DrO's website. In this case, I don't think the version matters, but it would be best to use the latest version going forward.

Beyond how you have explicit support for importing data created by iTunes, do you now understand what's involved in refreshing the Winamp media library database?

"... they certainly make "refreshing my iTunes playlists" doable, if not effortless". I assume this means that that command replaces the iTunes created playlists, in your Winamp library, with their current versions updated by iTunes. If not, you can end up with multiple lists with the same name. Winamp 'looks at' the file dates, so it treats an updated playlist as a different list (instead of an updated list) and keeps a copy of the former and makes a copy of the current, using the same name for both. Kinda dumb, but that is what it does for playlists.

During automatic scans, media files with newer dates are handled differently. The metadata of those files are updated in their existing library records (instead of keeping old and new records), even if the actual data in the files with newer dates did not change. This is more inline with what is expected. I don't know why it was decided to treat playlists differently.

Last edited by Aminifu; 14th November 2012 at 21:55.
Old 14th November 2012, 20:46   #29
MrSinatra
Forum King

i'd be interested to know if you LOST those red lined commands if you removed the edcast DLL. in other words, if uninstalling edcast didn't remove them, then we'd have a mystery.

--
Old 5th March 2016, 00:18   #30
Jonard

Media Library Not Sorting Correctly

I know this might be completely off from topic but I figure it was pretty close....

My media library used to have 3 windows in it... at the top left the was a list of all the artist, In the top right was those artist albums, and the bottom window displayed their songs. Now MY library consist of one large window and there are no small arrow icon to the left of the Artist name to click to extend the Artist List for more thorough navigation? I have tried to play with different view settings and media library settings to try and see if maybe I accidentally clicked the wrong thing and it changed the view setting but to no prevail. If all else fails I'll simply uninstall then re install Winamp. Also I do suspect that the HDD with all my music on it is making a clicking sound every so often so it might be on its last rodeo. I am in the process of transferring the music to a new HDD. But in the mean time I figure I'd shoot this into a forum and see. If it is just a goof I made can some please direct me to what it is I am overlooking?

I've included a pic of how it looks now. unfortunately I do not have a pic of how it looked before so I'm pretty much relying on hoping someone else experienced this dilemma to say hey I know what you are talking about and this is what you do....

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jonard

Nvmnd.. right after posting this I figured it out... it was my goof

Last edited by Jonard; 5th March 2016 at 03:00. Reason: figured it out
Jonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2016, 01:19   #31
MrSinatra
Forum King

you need to create a smartview, or edit a current one, on the far left side, where the "nav tree" is, which u didn't include in your screenshots.

any time a HD "clicks" it could die at any moment.

--
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support