Old 28th January 2001, 11:15   #1
ampburner
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to ampburner Send a message via AIM to ampburner Send a message via Yahoo to ampburner
I just wanted to say the "Thinger" annoyes me. It's ugly and It just sits on yer desktop doing nothing.

There, I said it.
ampburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2001, 11:19   #2
a-arse
Banned

I think the thinger is a good Idea,
Presumabely any addons/plugins icons will go in there?
If it annoys you click the liitle X button and It will go away and never bother you again
a-arse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2001, 11:24   #3
ampburner
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to ampburner Send a message via AIM to ampburner Send a message via Yahoo to ampburner
yeah, but still...( )
ampburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2001, 11:33   #4
a-arse
Banned

The only thing Im dissapoined about with Winamp 3 is that little thing in the bottom right corner of the main window.
It looks like you can rezise it but oh no!
that would be toooo simple
Old 28th January 2001, 11:34   #5
Thor
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Thor Send a message via AIM to Thor
The thinger is cool
Thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2001, 12:07   #6
s1138
Alumni?

Send a message via ICQ to s1138 Send a message via AIM to s1138 Send a message via Yahoo to s1138
that thing in the bottom corner for resizing, how do you know they havent put the feature in yet. that may be something they'll add later

and i love the thinger!

s1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2001, 16:02   #7
flatmatt
Iron Chef
(Reviewer)

I'm assuming they'll make it resizable soon.

The Thinger looks like it'll turn into another minibrowser for Ampburner. They should keep the name.
flatmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2001, 17:39   #8
a-arse
Banned

There should be a vote on the homepage about who loves the thinger,
Although some people (Without WA3) will get worried or confised or sick
Old 28th January 2001, 18:46   #9
lunarboy1
Forum King

you know.. with the media library... and the thinger it looks like WA is taking over our system like Real Jukebox or some shit. I liked winamp as it was.. small inobtrusive and in the corner of my desktop. I guess I'll have to get used to it sooner or later.
lunarboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2001, 19:40   #10
Bluu

Send a message via ICQ to Bluu Send a message via AIM to Bluu
Quote:
Originally posted by lunarboy1
you know.. with the media library... and the thinger it looks like WA is taking over our system like Real Jukebox or some shit. I liked winamp as it was.. small inobtrusive and in the corner of my desktop. I guess I'll have to get used to it sooner or later.
Heheh Jukebox's "media library" was the only reason I still clung to it before moving back to WA. So I moved back... and now WA3 has it. But I don't miss it. The final WA3 had better be a lot more welcoming .
I can see the thinger being very useful when you have a lot of plugins like Disk Writer, General Purpose, or equalizer and AVS settings. Until then, close the thinger. Everything you need is on the main window.
Bluu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2001, 19:54   #11
Mister Bill

As I've said, I despise "media libraries" and shit like that. I think that the "media library" is the worst mistake that a company could every make. Fortunately, it seems that winamp will allow you to open files and add them to the playlist directly as opposed to having to wade through a cluttered media library. I will always like winamp as long as the playlist editing is kept as simple as 2.x, and as long it will still function perfectly at a size as long as my quick launch bar. I'll like it even more if somebody ports the Geiss vis to 3.x, cuz that fucking owns.
Old 28th January 2001, 20:54   #12
Erich w/ an h

Quote:
Originally posted by Mister Bill
I will always like winamp as long as the playlist editing is kept as simple as 2.x, and as long it will still function perfectly at a size as long as my quick launch bar.
EXACTLY! I was getting worried that it would be a lot more like RJB, which i like, but its way too bloated and unnessicary. I guess they have it to have.

~ Fhqwhgads
Erich w/ an h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2001, 21:03   #13
Ice
Moderator Alumni
Americas Favorite Smut Peddler

i believe that the media library is a seprate file from winamp.exe, so taking out the media library (or any component) should be relativly easy.

I'd like to meet a mad man who makes it all seem sane
To work out all these troubles and what there is to gain
Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2001, 21:29   #14
s1138
Alumni?

Send a message via ICQ to s1138 Send a message via AIM to s1138 Send a message via Yahoo to s1138
in the final version, right ice?

Old 28th January 2001, 21:45   #15
Ice
Moderator Alumni
Americas Favorite Smut Peddler

i thought that all those parts of winamp are already seprate files.. but i could be wrong.

I'd like to meet a mad man who makes it all seem sane
To work out all these troubles and what there is to gain
Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2001, 22:20   #16
. - .... .- -. ....
Backpacking

Send a message via ICQ to . - .... .- -. .... Send a message via Yahoo to . - .... .- -. ....
I like the idea of the thinger on one condition - that it be CUSTOMISABLE. I think that it would be cool to be able to drag your favourite plugins or skins there, an be able to select them without having to go through the menus each time. The only thing I don't like about it is that that the font at the bottom that describes the icon is too small

Like my photography? Buy some here....
. - .... .- -. .... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2001, 00:48   #17
carlito_au

Send a message via ICQ to carlito_au Send a message via AIM to carlito_au Send a message via Yahoo to carlito_au
i think the thinger would be cool if all your plugins and stuff went there and it was customiseable
carlito_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2001, 01:28   #18
rainwater

Send a message via ICQ to rainwater
Most likely, the Thinger will be customizable by the plugins not the users. But I could be wrong.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2001, 04:03   #19
steve
Intolerant Ex-Administrator

Send a message via AIM to steve
Thinger serves a huge purpose. There are no longer a differecniation for plugins anymore. Any plugin that's got an interface of some sort can have an icon in the thinger. The thinger allows you to have a centralized place to access any part of Winamp through one little window. It'll be very powerful when it's fully implemented.

By the way, Winamp's Main Window will be resizable, when the feature is finally added.

Oh, one more thing, you will be able to remove that which you don't care about. For example, if you do not like Winamp's Media Library, you may remove it. Once you remove it, it'll behave just like Winamp2. It's actually quite brilliant that you can remove each plugin and not have it destroy anything.

We recommend you do not remove the media library, once you use it and fill in your id3 tags, it definately makes life easier. If you're worried about your id3 tags, i'm totally into them and I'll bug them until it's powerful and easy to set up many tags at once, if you'd like.

Enjoy.

-steve

Steve Gedikian
Ex Llama Wrangler
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2001, 10:31   #20
s1138
Alumni?

GO STEVE!!!

the final version of the thinger sounds cool

Old 29th January 2001, 12:15   #21
Colonel G

Send a message via ICQ to Colonel G Send a message via AIM to Colonel G Send a message via Yahoo to Colonel G
Quote:
Originally posted by steve
If you're worried about your id3 tags, i'm totally into them and I'll bug them until it's powerful and easy to set up many tags at once, if you'd like.
Mass tagging! Mass Tagging! MASS TAGGING! Ohboyohboyohboy!
Colonel G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2001, 12:55   #22
GREEK_MP3

The thinger rules....

In the future you will be able to download various modules (like we do now with plugins)... These modules will add extra features to winamp...

Each module will have it's icon in the thinger added automatically I pressume...

Imagine a mp3 to wav converter module... You will just click on the icon from thinger...
Old 29th January 2001, 13:37   #23
theboyjenkins

yes steve! go with the tagging. id3 tags rule

"...ambience?, I AM ambience"
theboyjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2001, 19:31   #24
s1138
Alumni?

with these modules and such, i would just like to say,
if nullsoft can pull this off, and not make it bloaty and resource hogging, then this will be the BEST DAMN MOTHER FUCKING PEICE OF SOFTWARE EVER!!!!!

it sounds so cool, i want the final version

Old 30th January 2001, 00:06   #25
Xerxes
Capitalist Alumni

Send a message via ICQ to Xerxes
Is thinger the final name? I know Nullsoft likes to keep things tongue in cheek and all but THINGER? That sounds like a pet name for that hand in the box from "The Addams Family" ...

I know things like "Media Dock" "Media Launcher" have been overdone for things like that- so i think its cool you guys are using a different name... thinger irks me though... sounds to much like a gay guy saying "singer" ...

what about... "Icon Buffet" ... i dont know...

Xerxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2001, 00:26   #26
distortion

Send a message via ICQ to distortion Send a message via AIM to distortion
thinger! its all thinger! nothing but thinger! oooh the humanity!
http://www.deskmod.com/?page=show&skinid=15204
distortion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2001, 02:08   #27
Anacific
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to Anacific
Personally i find media library to be very usefull if you have more than 500 mp3s

and "thinger" looks very cool and promising so far

"He who desires but acts not, breeds pestilence." - William Blake
WSPA | WWF | RSPCA | AAPA | Green Peace - Know and help...
The Rainforest Site | The Animal Rescue Site - Click and help...
Anacific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2001, 07:52   #28
Twilightseer
Frenchoderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Xerxes
Is thinger the final name? I know Nullsoft likes to keep things tongue in cheek and all but THINGER? That sounds like a pet name for that hand in the box from "The Addams Family" ...

I know things like "Media Dock" "Media Launcher" have been overdone for things like that- so i think its cool you guys are using a different name... thinger irks me though... sounds to much like a gay guy saying "singer" ...

what about... "Icon Buffet" ... i dont know...
X-Man is making a point. I have no problem with the thinger except the name. "Icon Buffet" has a very nice French touch
Twilightseer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2001, 07:53   #29
Brennan
Monkey Hump Master

Yep, and what's cool is that the playlist editor and media library are components just like any other add-on component you might download... so you could write your own playlist editor if you really wanted. And those icons are rendered by the component, too, so a network server type component could display a graph in there or something.

It's going to be INSANE once we get the SDK out there. Mark my words. The skin system is awesome, but the real power comes from the components.

--Brennan
Brennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2001, 08:07   #30
WolfieD

i believe i speak for the whole winamp community when i say "thank you, nullsoft, for making our future a better one, via the use of computer software and coding."

right guys?

=D
Old 30th January 2001, 08:12   #31
Resurrected Stalin

Thinger's cool - if it will be customizable in some way or another in the final version - but I think it should be a little smaller - maybe a little bar of some kind that sits in the corner of your screen, or maybe even system tray icons...

What do you think?
Resurrected Stalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2001, 12:18   #32
ElChevelle
Moderator Alumni

Quote:
Originally posted by WolfieD
i believe i speak for the whole winamp community when i say "thank you, nullsoft, for making our future a better one, via the use of computer software and coding."

right guys?

=D
Exactly!
I keep trying to say the same thing, but this drool.......
ElChevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2001, 13:21   #33
ReDVsion
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to ReDVsion Send a message via AIM to ReDVsion Send a message via Yahoo to ReDVsion
As per steve's post:

ANYTHING? So essentially what you're saying is you can either have a fully-featured winamp 3 with eq, playlist, minibrowser, media lib, etc., or just ditch it all and have only the main window? I like this...

Mass tagging IS gonna be a necessity with the Media Lib. Right now I have NO Id3 tags, so it's useless to me.

Stailin's idea is great, and I actually LIKE the name "Thinger" - for those who don't, you could always make name-changeable windows... But get the main program done before you start getting into little details like that.

?
ReDVsion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2001, 16:06   #34
Jstalilwyrd
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to Jstalilwyrd Send a message via Yahoo to Jstalilwyrd
Mmm, something for everyone, I'm really loving Winamp 3 now! Now, people who complain about media libraries or the minibrowser can just ditch it altogether while those who want all the bells and whistles can keep them.

The Nullsoft guys own!
Jstalilwyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2001, 21:45   #35
s1138
Alumni?

i beg you keep the name thinger!! it is so, nullsoft like, to use a name like that
the final version of Winamp3 sounds so fucking awesome!!!

Old 30th January 2001, 22:00   #36
c2R
Stereotype?
(Forum King)

Yea, keep the thinger name - thats cool.

Perhaps it could be made small though (with option) like you can with the main Winamp 2.x window.

Just a thought...

Chris
c2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2001, 03:58   #37
pixelpusher
Major Dude

I think thinger rocks.. I'll have two double thingers to go.
Hey you know if you look at the code and examine the way WA3 is programed and built. You can see that it is designed to be highly versital. Not only came you do real time DJing with it off from a laptop. But it looks like you could put it on a server and run it as a web-based app on a website, like how real player does, integrating it into the actual webpage. Then you would click on a song and it would start streaming. Cool. WA3 rocks...
pixelpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2001, 04:12   #38
lunarboy1
Forum King

it has good features but it reminds me too much of Real Jukebox... or any other Jukebox program that likes to take over your computer.
lunarboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2001, 08:18   #39
steve
Intolerant Ex-Administrator

Send a message via AIM to steve
Thinger was born out of a lack of a better name... plus it sounds great.

Think of Something Better

WA3 will be the most usable and powerful media player known to man, once it's done. Changing the world, one line of code at a time.

-steve

Steve Gedikian
Ex Llama Wrangler
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2001, 12:27   #40
ElChevelle
Moderator Alumni

Quote:
Originally posted by steve
Thinger was born out of a lack of a better name... plus it sounds great.

Think of Something Better
Sweet
Quote:
WA3 will be the most usable and powerful media player known to man, once it's done.
If the preliminary Alpha is any indication, I'd say you're bang on there.(To borrow slang from the Brits)
ElChevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions