Old 18th February 2002, 02:37   #1
Slave Zero

Send a message via ICQ to Slave Zero Send a message via AIM to Slave Zero Send a message via Yahoo to Slave Zero
Ac-3 :)

My number one wish for Winamp 3 is to support and play AC-3 files, it supports so many other media types, AC-3 would be a welcome addition. It can be based on how Windows Media Player does it and loose all 3D audio positioning, but for those who might have a Dobly Digital Decoder - DTS or Dobly Digital, or who have a sound card that supports DTS/Dobly Digital (like the SB Live! and the SB Audigy/Extigy) - enable the 3D positioning of the sounds to enhance the listening. For all I know, this could be a plugin idea, but the thought of having a media player that does all the types of media it does and adding in AC-3 would be wonderful!

Well, that was my wish for Winamp3, other than that, i live it and it is progressing nicely too
Old 19th February 2002, 02:36   #2
Slave Zero

Send a message via ICQ to Slave Zero Send a message via AIM to Slave Zero Send a message via Yahoo to Slave Zero
Quote:
Originally posted by sawg
AC-3 is a closed format. Nullsoft would have to license it per user. So in short it is not going to happen.
well, crap, lol, but how does microsoft manage to play AC-3 files? i'll admit the newer versions it doesn't play, but it plays most of the AC-3's i throw at it... does that mean Microsoft buys a licence for every copy of Windows XP? (its WMP8 that plays it)
Old 19th February 2002, 03:00   #3
Ice
Moderator Alumni
Americas Favorite Smut Peddler

not to get super idealistic on you... but i think its silly how they can get away with charging for formats... any chance i can charge people for the right to write on paper as a way to communicate?

I'd like to meet a mad man who makes it all seem sane
To work out all these troubles and what there is to gain
Old 25th February 2002, 01:55   #4
dns_server

there is an open sourse ac3 decoder called lib52 someone could port this to winamp

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp3 > Winamp3 Discussion > Winamp3 Wishlist