Old 26th October 2015, 02:24   #1
anditfeels

How to add files the playlist is not contain

Hello all.
Recently I accidently rewritted my only playlist, so 200 song are not in the playlist anymore and the problem is I can't find them in my music library, because all dates of creation are the same.
Is there any way to order winamp to scan directory and add files that is not in the playlist?
anditfeels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2015, 03:53   #2
Aminifu
Forum King

No, Winamp can't scan file folders and add songs to a playlist. It can scan the folders you 'tell' it to and add the files to the media library. Look in the General Preferences on the Media Library - Local Library - Watch Folders tab for where you 'tell' Winamp which folders to scan and start the scan. Sub-folders of the selected folders are included in the scan. There are also options on that tab that you can select to have Winamp scan the selected folders automatically.

There is a plug-in (http://winampplugins.co.uk/plu.html) you should install that will automatically save your playlist (in accordance with conditions you select) so you can recover from playlist accidents in the future. This plug-in has other features that you may find useful.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Quinto Black CT v3.6 skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v21H2 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2015, 10:41   #3
anditfeels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
No, Winamp can't scan file folders and add songs to a playlist. It can scan the folders you 'tell' it to and add the files to the media library. Look in the General Preferences on the Media Library - Local Library - Watch Folders tab for where you 'tell' Winamp which folders to scan and start the scan. Sub-folders of the selected folders are included in the scan. There are also options on that tab that you can select to have Winamp scan the selected folders automatically.
I've done it, but no new files were added into the playlist. So how could this help me with my problem?
Old 26th October 2015, 11:35   #4
Zeekid

Missing playlist file?

I had a similar problem. Some of my music files did not have a winamp playlist file or maybe some were corrupted. Anyhow. I found a program "sPlaylistMaker"that creates among other things, a winamp playlist that will pick up my files and add them when I rescan in winamp. The downside was that I had to sift through all my music files to see which ones were lacking the playlist file. Just beware of the site you use to download this program. Some sites add lots of crap. The program itself has a very small footprint and is super fast. Good luck!!:-)
Zeekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2015, 12:39   #5
anditfeels

Is there anyone can confirm that? I don't trust these guys, who speaks about real soluition, but hadn't provided any real source to get it.
Old 26th October 2015, 15:09   #6
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by anditfeels View Post
I've done it, but no new files were added into the playlist. So how could this help me with my problem?
The 1st thing I said is that Winamp can not make a playlist for you (on it's own). You have to use the media library to 'tell' Winamp to make a new playlist in the Playlist Editor (and/or add to the current one), after you are sure all of your music files names and locations are in the library's database.

If you need instructions for how to do this, post back.

I don't know anything about the program Zeekid is talking about, so I can't help with that.

Old 26th October 2015, 16:11   #7
anditfeels

I don't need to make a playlist, I've got one and there are many songs. I need winamp to add those songs into the playlist, that are not added.
Old 26th October 2015, 17:01   #8
Aminifu
Forum King

Songs are added to the Playlist Editor's listing when you select them (externally or internally) for playback and/or enqueuing. When you play them, these files' names and locations are also added to the media library, if the General Preferences' option that controls that is enabled and the files' names and locations are not already in the library database.

You have to add files to the Playlist Editor's playlist manually (using the various ways Winamp provides or allows). There may be plug-ins or other apps that will automate the process. I don't know of any. Winamp automatically saves this playlist when you shut it down, but you can also save an external copy of this playlist manually (after you have added new songs to it), so that you will have a backup.

I'm sorry my comments have not been helpful. I still suggest you install the plug-in I provided the link to. It has saved me from accidental playlist deletions more times than I can remember.

Old 27th October 2015, 13:21   #9
anditfeels

Well, there is a solution I just found it. This is what we do - hold your music folder by left mouse button and move it in the very beginning of your playlist, when it's done use "Remove Dublicate Etries", so winamp will remove all these you just added if they are already in the list, but those it is not in the playlist will remain.

So you don't need any plugin for it.

P.S.: Aminifu, thank you for your help, at least you are the one with real interest to help. I appreciate it.
Old 27th October 2015, 14:18   #10
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by anditfeels View Post
Aminifu, thank you for your help, at least you are the one with real interest to help. I appreciate it.
You're welcome. Your solution is basically what I was trying to say (in a round about way).

Don't forget about the "Playlist Undo" plug-in.

Old 27th October 2015, 21:59   #11
Zeekid

Playlist again

Gentlemen,
sPlaylistmaker is a great little program to create winamp playlist files. I have been using it for over a year. I had no problem downloading it but I just don't remember which download site I used. I only cautioned the writer to be careful just as you would with any download. Not because of problems with the program, it's just that some sites throw in extra junk.

Old 7th November 2015, 10:01   #12
Zeekid

This is the site I used to download sPlaylistmaker. Without any problems. http://www.portablefreeware.com/?id=2179
Old 8th November 2015, 06:41   #13
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi Zeekid,

Nice app, but Winamp's Playlist Editor already lets you do everything that app does. You just have to use the right-click context menus.

See those 4 buttons at the bottom of the Playlist Editor's window. Right-click on the one on the far right and select the command to "Save playlist ...". This opens a dialog that lets you chose a folder and name for a playlist that will contain the names and locations of all of the files currently listed in the editor.

If you want a different listing of files, then right-click on the 2nd button in from the left and select the command to "Clear playlist" (to remove all the current items) or select certain items first and use the command to "Remove selected". Then you can add new files to the editor (using the "Enqueue" right-click command on a file or selection of files in Winamp's media library and/or on a folder or file or selection of files in Windows Explorer) and save another playlist with a different name in the same or a different folder.

Every file that Winamp plays is added to the listing in the Playlist Editor. The names and locations of everything in this listing is saved when Winamp is shutdown and the list is reloaded when Winamp is restarted. Some people let the editor load up, over time, with all the files they ever play and then have to search thru a ton of items for the particular ones they want to listen to again. There is no need to do this, when it is so easy to make playlists of files that fit any purpose they want. Once the playlists are made, then it is simple to load the files that fit the moment and unload those that don't.

Old 8th November 2015, 11:19   #14
Zeekid

Thanks for the treatise!! I was aware that Winamp would save a file once it was played but I was not aware of the other uses for the Playlist Editor. I really appreciate your information.

Through the years, I had saved a few hundred albums in my windows music file. Many of these had never been played back in their entirety through Winamp. I noticed when I scanned my windows music files with Winamp, that a lot of my songs and albums were not "picked up" by WA. When I would search for a song or album with WA, I would have no result.

Therefore, after reading lots of forums, I deduced something must be missing from my windows music files. One of the forums said WA needed a playlist file like m3u8. So, I stumbled on the sPlaylistmaker. I could just drag an album from my windows music file, run it through sPlaylistmaker then rescan my files through WA and they were added to my WA library. It seemed to be a quick resolution to my problem.

I have always been wary, (maybe too much so) of fiddling with my music files. This was due to my uninstalling Nero back a decade ago and losing a few hundred songs I had downloaded. I had no backup and system restore would not bring them back. Sorry for the digression. I do offer my sincere thanks to you and others that are helping many of us to become fluent with more of Winamps intricacies!!
Old 8th November 2015, 11:48   #15
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeekid View Post

Through the years, I had saved a few hundred albums in my windows music file. Many of these had never been played back in their entirety through Winamp. I noticed when I scanned my windows music files with Winamp, that a lot of my songs and albums were not "picked up" by WA. When I would search for a song or album with WA, I would have no result.

When you scan files, they are added to the media library, not the Playlist Editor. Did you install the plug-in for the media library?

Assuming all your songs and albums are located under 1, or a few, root folders and you added the root folder(s) to Winamp's Watch Folders list before you ran the scan, then maybe the problem was you didn't associate Winamp with the types of files (format indicated by the 3 or 4 character extension at the end of the file names). Look in the Winamp Preferences - File Types and make sure all the extensions for your files have been selected. You would have also needed to have installed the input plug-ins for these file types so that Winamp would be able to decode them.

Old 8th November 2015, 12:33   #16
Zeekid

I'm pretty sure all my plug-ins are installed but I will search to be sure. I have two root folders that are included. My file types are checked for all audio since I don't play dvd's on this computer. Under prefs; window's shell file association options; file content menu; I just now added "add to Winamp media library". I will check the input plug-ins too. THANKS!
Old 8th November 2015, 13:01   #17
Aminifu
Forum King

To really take advantage of the power of Winamp, you need to use metadata. Metadata is info related to each file (artist, name of song, name of album, year of song or album release, genre [jazz, rock, country, etc.], etc.). Most file formats let you store the metadata in the files themselves and some (like wave) don't. Winamp has editors that let you add or correct metadata in files or add metadata to the media library records of files that don't support metadata in the files themselves.

To cut down on all the typing, there are free apps (like MP3 Tag) that will look up metadata on the internet for you and add it to the files that support metadata in the files. You only have to check to be sure the metadata is accurate before letting it be added to the files. Winamp used to be able to do this and the next release is supposed to return this feature.

After your files or file records have the metadata you are interested in, you can create Smart Views in the media library. Smart Views will automatically sort your files according to the sorting filters you create. Each time you open a Smart View, it will search the library records for any new files that may have been scanned in, read the metadata in the file or record, and present them (along with the previously existing files) in accordance with the filtering for the selected view. All of the default views in the media library are actually Smart Views. Smart Views are like self-renewing playlists.

To get started, you can use the existing views as templates and edit them to create new views. Just be sure to rename any edited view to keep from losing the existing view.

Old 8th November 2015, 13:26   #18
Zeekid

I will try MP3 Tag and Smart View today!

Sincerely,

Zeekid
Old 8th November 2015, 14:00   #19
Aminifu
Forum King

Use the Winamp Info Tool to make an extended report of your configuration. This will let you see in 1 place everything that's installed that's related to Winamp. The report is placed in a zip file to make it easy to attach to a post. Official support usually asks for this report when trying to solve problems.

http://koopa.meggamusic.co.uk/infotool/

Koopa has made other utilities (like the Winamp Backup Tool) that you may find useful.

Enjoy your music!

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion