Old 5th June 2006, 17:34   #1
electronX

Volume slider between 0% and i.e. 200%

Hello!

I searched a bit but didn't find anything according to this.

I usually listen to different types of music on my PC, for example, pop & classical. They have different volume rates. So I often have to open the equalizer, turn it on and push the master up. But is it necessary?

It would be nice if I could just set the volume over the default 100%, not only by adjusting the EQ master. Of course it should be en/disabled by a simple right click on this control.

If it's possible, I would appreciate it (I would be happy) :)

Thx!

Andrew
electronX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2006, 18:49   #2
TheUniqueTiger

You may try to set auto-load eq presets for the said files with some positive pre-amp. If it suits you, great! Also you may try out the Enhancer plugin for volume boost.
TheUniqueTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2006, 23:10   #3
JonnyMac

Normalizing?

Please do not PM me for tech support. Any request for tech support through PM will be ignored.
Read the Stickies
---> | | | | <--- Knowledge is power
JonnyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2006, 05:03   #4
electronX

Auto-load EQ should help if I would set them one by one for 500 tracks (for example XMs) on CDs and other media, for example online radio and so on. And then what if I rename the file or move it? Or simply reinstall Windows?

Normalizing & AGC doesn't fit, because what if I want to set the volume so that it physically distorts, but I don't ever hear it? I usually did it as I listened to music created & normalized by ModPlug. And I don't think it works in case of netlabels.

But. I think this slider is soooo easy, that any other solution seems me as driving an F1 car to the neighborhood. My request is programmatically just a number not from 0 to 1 (now) but from 0 to 2 or sthg.

OT: where in the hell can I find a working (not freezing) realaudio plugin for winamp?
Old 6th June 2006, 05:04   #5
electronX

Sorry, I wanted to say net_radio_
Old 6th June 2006, 14:59   #6
wieesiee

So you're talking about bad mastered audio with too low peak levels (-15db or less) from any source whatsoever, right? You'd need a preamp slider in your main window, that'd be all. If not, why not use the volume knob as it is intended to?
Imho a dsp-normalizer/audio leveler-plugin (realtime) would help in your case, too. They are not the best solution, but the only automatical one that works with streaming media.

Your problem will probably never be solved by the Winamp devs, because at least 50% of all Winamp users will complain afterwards about bad sound quality, because they crank their volume slider all the way up to lets say +10dB and get horrendous clipping / distortion. This change would be too big to get people accustomed to.

I'm happy about a volume "attenuation only" slider, too.

Sorry, that was no real help.
wieesiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2006, 09:28   #7
electronX

Hello,
wieesiee, that preamp slider near the volume slider is not bad, but should function even if EQ is off (it's usually off).
It's important, that I don't want it to be automatized. (DSP or so)

"...at least 50% of all Winamp users will complain afterwards about bad sound quality, because they crank their volume slider all the way up..."

This is, why I said, it should be turned off by default, but possible to turn on. In ModPlug Player there was a red line in the middle of the slider, and in Winamp the slider shows the volume percentage. So if somebody can't read that "VOLUME: 145%"... Anyway, this comment from you is absolutely right!
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Wishlist