Old 8th May 2008, 10:39   #1
SkripT1

Allow 24bit + Resamplig to 24 bits at output?

Hi, I've ckecked the option "Allow 24 bit". The Direct Sound output plugin that comes wih Winamp 5 only uses 16 bits at output. So, now I'm using Direct Sound SSRC output plugin enabling the resamplig at ouput to 44100 and 24 bits. I'm using Nullsoft MPEG Decoder 3.06.
- Do you think that's the best way to obtain the best audio quality doing the resampling process at the output?
- Is Winamp working in 24 bits mode with this version of MPEG decoder although it isn't the newest? Thanks.
SkripT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2008, 13:19   #2
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

No. We don't support old versions of Winamp or old versions of any of the default plugins/decoders, nor the ancient SSRC out_ds.

Chances are high that neither of those old plugins support 24bit output (nor many other new features implemented since then).

Winamp 5.531 with Nullsoft MPEG Audio Decoder (in_mp3) v4.4 and Nullsoft DirectSound Output 2.47 (out_ds.dll) works just fine for 24bit MP3 playback.
Attached Images
File Type: png 24bit.png (14.9 KB, 775 views)
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2008, 20:46   #3
SkripT1

Many thanks DJ Egg I will try the new DirectSound with the newest in_mp3 library. I use the 3.06 because I think it osunds better that the newest but maybe it's just my imagination. There are differences in the sound you only have to watch the graphic osciloscope. But I don't know if I would recognize each of them with an ABX Test...
Old 8th May 2008, 22:40   #4
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

The Spectrum Analyzer code itself was changed to be a more true representation of the actual audio output, whereas before it was mainly just eye candy.

Also note that the spectrum now takes into account things like ReplayGain, which weren't supported before.

In my opinion, Winamp 5.5x sounds better than ever before, though I guess it also depends on the quality of the mp3 files (encoder, bitrate, etc), soundcard, speakers, etc...
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2008, 23:01   #5
SkripT1

Many thanks DJ Egg. Seems that the newest Nullsoft Decoder gives an output similar at the best mp3 decoders like Mad. This is a comparasion of the output recorded with Nullsoft Disk Write with Nullsoft 3.06 Decoder, Nullsoft 4 Decoder and Mad:

Version 3.06 seems to give a more powerful sound but maybe with less quality in my ears. What I most like is that the newest Direct Sound can work at any bit depth depending in the decoder.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support