Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Visualizations > MilkDrop > MilkDrop Presets

Old 29th September 2018, 02:19   #321
Fumbling_Foo

Yes, I do believe after a good amount of rest and a good amount of testing, I will publish the latest private builds, they are looking quite good .

Old code that worked best and new code that looks intriguing fused together. Both Maelstrom and Synaescope have even been mutually symbiotic in developing each other as well. I'm proud to have introduced this new preset to the community .

Cheers and enjoy !

Like my avatar? Check out my Synaescope preset project later on in the Star Forge topic . Nearly endless mandalesque patterns going to the energy of the music .
Fumbling_Foo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2018, 17:35   #322
Fumbling_Foo

I have v3 of Maelstrom ready, a significant update. Should be a good bit more refined.

BTW, Does anybody know if its possible and if so how to get the uv coordinates of "ret" or other tex2D variables? It seems straightforward enough to extract color values from UV coords, but I don't know of a way to do the reverse. In other words, how would I, say, create e.g. "float2 uv2 ..." such that GetPixel(uv2) gives me "ret" instead of "tex2D(sampler_pc_main, uv2)?

Perhaps there's a long way around, too. Synaescope just takes the warp shader and modifies it. What I'd like to do is take the final result in the comp shader of Maelstrom v3 and then modify that like Synaescope does the warp shader. I know, expensive, but I'm sure the result would be awesome .

Cheers and enjoy .

Like my avatar? Check out my Synaescope preset project later on in the Star Forge topic . Nearly endless mandalesque patterns going to the energy of the music .
Old 30th September 2018, 21:33   #323
Nitorami
Major Dude

Not sure if I understand the question correctly, but you cannot do the same with the comp shader as you can with the warp shader.

ret = GetPixel(uv2) is identical to ret = tex2D(sampler_main, uv2).

BUT there is a difference between warp and comp shader:

In the warp shader, GetPixel() is its own previous output, i.e. its content one frame ago. I.e. the warp shader can feed its own output back to its input like an echo. E.g. ret = GetPixel(uv)*0.9 in the warp shader causes a slow fading effect.

The output of the warp shader (ret) goes to the comp shader.
The comp can access this via GetPixel().
The output (ret) of the comp shader goes to the screen.

That is fixed in milkdrop, you cannot change it.
Nitorami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2018, 06:05   #324
Fumbling_Foo

Thanks for the information, martin. Saved me some trouble . Good news is I found a suitable workaround just by pretty much copy/pasting some code from Maelstrom. So, without further ado...

Looks like there will be a v8 for Synaescope after all . This is the biggest visual update in the whole lineup, using code from Maelstrom v3a. Overall a lot more colorful and clear now.

Cheers and enjoy the new hopefully awesome sauce .

Old 4th October 2018, 03:23   #325
Fumbling_Foo

I am not in the best of moods now, and my creative ability has suffered somewhat in the short term. There's still some work I'd like to do with the beat detection, as the presets tend to jump too much. Getting the beat detection just right has been just about the most difficult quality to nail down. The visuals a great though. I will give this another go and try and take about a week or so off.

In the meantime, I do have updates for both presets that I've tested A LOT against the last two versions and am just fed up right now with doing any more work with Maelstrom / Synaescope at the moment, so hopefully no glaring problems slipped by. On of the main improvements, for Maelstrom, was that I significantly reduced the presence of the flashing borders so my eyes wouldn't be boxed in and free to wander around the screen. I also updated the post processing a bit for both.

Anyways, cheers and enjoy . I hope yall aren't as tired of these presets as I am working on them right now lol .

Old 11th October 2018, 00:58   #326
Fumbling_Foo

Maelstrom v4 features a more dynamic yet visually synaesthetic response to the music and the visuals. Also, I noticed that the flashing borders tended to focus my attention on the center. Reducing this effect I was more easily able to let my eyes freely wander around the screen and take in the whole picture.

The same is so with Synaescope v9. There seemed to be a little less of an effect borrowing and adapting Malestrom v4's comp shader code, but still the effect was positive and a bit different than Maelstrom's, even with such similar "post processing" code.

Cheers and enjoy .

Old 15th October 2018, 16:57   #327
Fumbling_Foo

Maelstrom v4a and Synaescope v9a are ready. Better beat response, especially for quieter music. Better post processing too.

Cheers and enjoy .

Old 17th October 2018, 03:01   #328
Fumbling_Foo

Here, both presets go up a version number because of even further advanced post processing.

Cheers and enjoy !

Old 22nd October 2018, 18:49   #329
Fumbling_Foo

Better beat response, less smearing, better lighting in post processing.

Cheers and enjoy !

Old 25th October 2018, 07:19   #330
neebster

Very intricate presets that scale well to 4k. Good stuff
neebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2018, 16:10   #331
Fumbling_Foo

Thanks neebster, I really appreciate your feedback . Yeah, I've never tested my preset at 4k, glad it does well at that resolution too !

Old 25th October 2018, 18:55   #332
Fumbling_Foo

A bit more colorful, towards fixing the sometimes excessive de-saturation.

Anyway's, I've been staring at small but cumulative changes in this preset for so long I was losing conscious awareness of the details and seeing mostly the general form, so I'm glad its intricate . That's usually what's happened across the whole "Star Forge" project as I've tinkered with them. This is a mysterious but much welcomed effect of development on each line of presets. I make hypotheses as to how some bit of code is working, do guess and check strategies, and eventually perhaps I'll see a positive change in general. I reckon I unconsciously like more detail and those are usually the changes that make the next versions .

Last edited by Fumbling_Foo; 25th October 2018 at 20:40.
Old 26th October 2018, 22:02   #333
Fumbling_Foo

Z-ZOMG! Maelstrom has so many downloads already! Unique downloads or users downloading more than once ?

Old 28th October 2018, 18:40   #334
Fumbling_Foo

Maelstrom v6 and Synaescope v11 are ready for release.

These versions include better detail and pattern evolution, as well as a fix for the peripheral patterns from per-vertex warping sometimes going out of spec.

Note: These versions were saved in winamp 5.8, so hopefully they will still be compatible with winamp 5.666.

Cheers and enjoy !

Old 29th October 2018, 15:41   #335
Fumbling_Foo

Live update here, I'm liking very much the new change. The beat response should be more interesting now with a new q variable.

Cheers and enjoy !

Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Visualizations > MilkDrop > MilkDrop Presets