Old 10th January 2002, 19:31   #1
DuaneJeffers
Major Dude

I want the new iMac

I'm not an apple lover. Actually, I think that Apple can burn in hell. But the new iMac looks so cool, that I want one. Please Help me.

-Duane

Website

Yeah, that's pretty much it. :-\
DuaneJeffers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2002, 21:20   #2
Aeroe
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to Aeroe
i rather have an alienware or dell slim system. alienware is at bestbuy now, obviously still very expensive systems if you order the matching sets.

don't like ibooks or compaq's notebooks, or the imac/emachine look.
the ipod, another apple "stylish" digital audio player looks like a bar of soap. atleast to me.

or a seethru case will do.
Aeroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2002, 23:51   #3
John M
Puts the Cuss in General Discussions
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to John M
i do not like that new imac. looks breakable.

missyob made me post this.
John M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2002, 00:15   #4
fish
Pretty Cool Guy

Send a message via AIM to fish
I think it looks damn fine the way it did on the cover of this month's time magazine

Although it doesn't look very customizable/upgradeable (see original iMac) and it does look pretty flimsy...

"Apple's latest fruit". I can't tell if they're trying to be insulting or just funny

eh, heh.
fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2002, 01:57   #5
John M
Puts the Cuss in General Discussions
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to John M
9/11

missyob made me post this.
John M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2002, 02:00   #6
iomegajaz
Balled and Chained
Alumni

Oh. (i was wondering too)

How.. noble.. or something.

"My heart hates uggos." –J.D.
iomegajaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2002, 02:03   #7
griffinn
Court Jester
(Forum King)

Send a message via ICQ to griffinn
Apparently, somebody in Belgium thought of that design six months ago.

http://www.wired.com/news/mac/0,2125,49612,00.html

The smiley slot machine! | Quotable Blog
griffinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2002, 06:17   #8
KelseyB
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to KelseyB Send a message via AIM to KelseyB Send a message via Yahoo to KelseyB
Quote:
Actually, I think that Apple can burn in hell.
Why, Duane? Apple makes excellent multimedia manipulating computers. They don’t really have the user-end 'home' software base that Microsoft has, but they are still a kick-ass computer manufacturer. Any computer that kicks windows ass (I say this because just about every pc manufactured comes with windows pre-installed (I LOVE the CHOICE in OS when I buy a new computer (sarcasm))) with processing, W/ A LOWER RATED MHZ is all right in my book (see early g4 tests against comparable pcs running Photoshop). Albeit, they come a little expensive, but ya know, money buys quality. (Wasn’t the reason for apple’s (early?) stability due to its control of the compatible hardware, unlike windows, which has to be built around everything that any moron (not an insult to anyone here) thinks he can decide to put into a computer and have run without changing anything on his own?)
KelseyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2002, 06:35   #9
Xerxes
Capitalist Alumni

Send a message via ICQ to Xerxes
I think its an excellent design - as it could even be adapted to mount on a wall.

You techinical nerds and your "upgradibility"... that's completely what this computer is not about. Its people like you that keep us in a stylistic hell of rectangular beige boxes and monolithic plastic cases.
Xerxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2002, 06:38   #10
Xerxes
Capitalist Alumni

Send a message via ICQ to Xerxes
Macintosh Uber Alles

For more Mac vs. PC wars...

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=68439
Xerxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2002, 06:48   #11
DuaneJeffers
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by KelseyB

Why, Duane? Apple makes excellent multimedia manipulating computers. They don’t really have the user-end 'home' software base that Microsoft has, but they are still a kick-ass computer manufacturer. Any computer that kicks windows ass (I say this because just about every pc manufactured comes with windows pre-installed (I LOVE the CHOICE in OS when I buy a new computer (sarcasm))) with processing, W/ A LOWER RATED MHZ is all right in my book (see early g4 tests against comparable pcs running Photoshop). Albeit, they come a little expensive, but ya know, money buys quality. (Wasn’t the reason for apple’s (early?) stability due to its control of the compatible hardware, unlike windows, which has to be built around everything that any moron (not an insult to anyone here) thinks he can decide to put into a computer and have run without changing anything on his own?)
It is supposed to be an Oximoron. I want an Apple iMac, but I never really liked them because they used other "Unknown" CPUs. Windows/Linux/BeOS/other OSes use Intel Based CPUs, But they don't and Why??? Sun Uses their own (Sparc), but that isn't for end users. Apple's CPU is made by a well known company (Motorola), but it is very forign and is not Intel Based.

-Duane

Website

Yeah, that's pretty much it. :-\
DuaneJeffers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2002, 12:42   #12
mark e
Major Dude

Yeah... I love it... It's so C0000000LL... mmm...
mark e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2002, 14:28   #13
jns
Forum King

Yeah, the latest years Apple seems to just have spent their efforts on design, what about functionality?
It doesn't matter how cute something is, if it breaks, it breaks, and then it is broken.

jns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2002, 14:35   #14
Sir Killalot

Quote:
Originally posted by DuaneJeffers

It is supposed to be an Oximoron. I want an Apple iMac, but I never really liked them because they used other "Unknown" CPUs. Windows/Linux/BeOS/other OSes use Intel Based CPUs, But they don't and Why??? Sun Uses their own (Sparc), but that isn't for end users. Apple's CPU is made by a well known company (Motorola), but it is very forign and is not Intel Based.

-Duane

neither is my new processor, the AMD Athlon XP.

have you been reading this page?

just asking.

Did you believe it?

SirK
Sir Killalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2002, 14:39   #15
jns
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by sawg
http://genghis.winamp.com/~steve/arc...rk%2Filamp.gif

*giggle*
Made me find this:
http://genghis.winamp.com/~steve/ema...c=project.html

mmm.... emacs..
me like.

jns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2002, 14:45   #16
Gonzotek
Gunslinger

Linux and BeOS can both run on PPC chips, and Windows can run on Macs.

The PPC chips perform better than x86 architecture chips running at the same speeds.

Apple is still making "boxes" for people who want upgradability. These iMacs are aimed at the same people who bought the original iMacs and who are looking for an upgrade, the pricing is the same. If you didn't have any interest in those, Apple isn't really counting on you having interest in these.

As for functionality--iTunes, iPhoto, iMovie, and the iPod are all award winning programs (or are being praised so much, that they will be award winning, most likely).

Doesn't anyone ever notice that where Apple goes, the rest of the industry follows? They are the Michealangelo, the Orson Welles, the Einsteins of the computer-making business.

I own 3 Apples, 4 PCs (1 linux machine for kicks), a Dreamcast, a Playstation, and a Palm; and I use each system for it's particular good qualities.

-=Gonzotek=-

I was away for a while.
But I'm feeling much better now.
Gonzotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2002, 15:18   #17
PabUK
Major Dude

I can't comment on Macs vs PCs because I have never used a Mac. But that new design is pretty decent, it just looks like a funky home appliance and I don't think that is such a bad thing. Even if it does look like it is a lamp.

In support of aggressive sex with llamas, and freedom from the obligation to explain.
Pawhosting.com | Pawsoft.com | Pawdesign.com | PabUK.com
PabUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2002, 22:33   #18
Ice
Moderator Alumni
Americas Favorite Smut Peddler

apple's workstation computers are still pretty sweet, though, i think this design is a little to different from the norm. there's a certain amount of upgradability i'd like--more than the keyboard, mouse, and speakers.

i would honestly love to own one of these:
http://www.apple.com/powermac/

they are generally better than windows computers. the first time i used photoshop on a mac, i fell in love with it. i really hope that mac gains some more market, as i'd love to have one of these on my desktop. i'm just not an early adjuster.

I'd like to meet a mad man who makes it all seem sane
To work out all these troubles and what there is to gain
Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2002, 15:48   #19
rm'
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by jns
Yeah, the latest years Apple seems to just have spent their efforts on design, what about functionality?
Oh, but they are concentrating on functionality. Functionality through design. Note how you can move the monitor with a single finger. Note the awesome wideness of viewing angle for the monitor. Note how upgrading to greater HD capacity is as simple as plugging something into an external Firewire port.

I think this is one of the most gorgeous things to be ever put into production.
rm' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2002, 18:00   #20
deathazre
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to deathazre Send a message via AIM to deathazre
macs are easier to use... and run windows programs if you want them to
deathazre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2002, 01:03   #21
Curi0us_George
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to Curi0us_George Send a message via Yahoo to Curi0us_George
Quote:
Originally posted by griffinn
Apparently, somebody in Belgium thought of that design six months ago.

http://www.wired.com/news/mac/0,2125,49612,00.html
It's not as if it's an original idea. Gateway has been making something similar for a while. It's just not a stylistic because they didn't combine theirs with a desk lamp.

KelseyB, MHZ mean pretty much nothing when you are comparing different chips. An AthlonXP at 2200Mhz would stomp a P4 at 2200Mhz. The G4 is a completely different architecture than the Intel architecture. Comparing a G4 and a P4 is like comparing a PocketPC to a Palm Pilot.

Duane, Motorola has been making chips for about as long as Intel, I believe. They are competing architectures. They'll never be Intel compatable. I don't blame them.

Deathazre, ease of use is apparently in the eye of the beholder. I hate the Mac interface. I think it's difficult to use, and the one button mouse is BS.

For the freedom to express myself in my own way without fear of being censored or banned.

47 65 6C 61 65 64 2E 63 6F 6D 00
Curi0us_George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2002, 01:42   #22
deathazre
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to deathazre Send a message via AIM to deathazre
Quote:
Originally posted by Curi0us_George

I think it's difficult to use, and the one button mouse is BS.
My friend uses a Intellimouse on his IBook and it's got a better version of the Quicklaunch toolbar.
deathazre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2002, 01:50   #23
fish
Pretty Cool Guy

Send a message via AIM to fish
Speaking of shitty computers, I saw an ad in a magazine for a "Zero Footprint PC".
https://www.cybernetman.com/default.cfm?DocId=602

Needless to say, I can't start to name the disadvantages of his, but a few do come to mind.

They claim it to be all stuffed into a normal size keyboard. Since when was a normal size keyboard three times the size of a normal size keyboard?
What about upgrading? Onboard video/sound? That doesn't sound that great to me either.

eh, heh.
fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2002, 03:47   #24
Curi0us_George
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to Curi0us_George Send a message via Yahoo to Curi0us_George
Quote:
Originally posted by deathazre
My friend uses a Intellimouse on his IBook and it's got a better version of the Quicklaunch toolbar.
I hate the quicklaunch toolbar. It's useless. I'd put the icons on my desk if I wanted them there.

There's a reason the quicklaunch toolbar is off by default in WinXP.

Phish, that thing's not really all that bad, if you never want to be able to upgrade. Of course, the keyboard angle would kill my wrist, plus it's ugly as sin. It could be worse, though.

For the freedom to express myself in my own way without fear of being censored or banned.

Old 13th January 2002, 06:14   #25
Nofx Guy
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Nofx Guy
i like to call the new imac the "Lampy Looking thing"....

www.audioflo.ath.cx
All music, All the Time
Nofx Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2002, 17:56   #26
prodangle
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by Gonzotek

I own 3 Apples, 4 PCs (1 linux machine for kicks), a Dreamcast, a Playstation, and a Palm; and I use each system for it's particular good qualities.
You rich bugger!! I am sooo jealous. That new mac is beautiful though. mmmmm. I vvvant...
prodangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2002, 18:46   #27
Gonzotek
Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by prodangle

You rich bugger!! I am sooo jealous. That new mac is beautiful though. mmmmm. I vvvant...
I didn't say they were GOOD computers . The apples are all early original ppc chip mahcines (PowerBook 5300cs, Quadra...). And two of the pcs are 450 mghz HP's that I never liked because the case was impossible to work with. Make good home servers, though.

And I got my PS and Dreamcast used, from the same guy; each time he gets a new system, I buy his old one off him and show him how much ass it kicks that he never knew about (modchipped the PS, have 6 different systems running in emulation in the Dreamcast).

-=Gonzotek=-

I was away for a while.
But I'm feeling much better now.
Gonzotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2002, 21:24   #28
Curi0us_George
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by Gonzotek
And two of the pcs are 450 mghz HP's that I never liked because the case was impossible to work with.
Try Instaling muliple harddrives in one. There is no freaking cable clearance.

I hate this case.

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions