Old 26th July 2014, 15:45   #1
ChiggyChiggy

Issues with Winamp

If the song ticker shows up displaying the song name and you right click on it till you get the ticker options and do so till the ticker itself has vanished (but with the context menu still there) and click out of it (like say, back into Winamps main window) it makes Winamp crash

Another issue im facing with Winamp is that the longer you leave it open, say like through several computer hibernations and it being open for days, clicking on a song to make it play, or simply opening Winamp makes it pause and makes it pause up everything else along with it, this continues until you have to do a reboot, which for some reason makes it stop this behavior until after a while it gets at it again.

Anyone have any ideas on these?

*If you have issues with Winamp, ensure you have the currently latest version Winamp v5.666 build 3516 & its patches that fix several issues
*To remove the currently dead Winamp online stuff, see here: removing online stuff
*If you miss the Autotag feature: Gracenote CDDB Autotag alternatives
ChiggyChiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2014, 15:46   #2
ChiggyChiggy

Oh crap shouldve posted this in technical support.. crap.

*If you have issues with Winamp, ensure you have the currently latest version Winamp v5.666 build 3516 & its patches that fix several issues
*To remove the currently dead Winamp online stuff, see here: removing online stuff
Old 26th July 2014, 16:23   #3
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiggyChiggy View Post
Oh crap shouldve posted this in technical support.. crap.
Moved!

As for your issues, in the 1st would be good to know on which skin is this happening (since it looks like something skin-related), and in the 2nd one.. well, I didn't understand what you mean exactly.. what goes in pause? Do you have the "resume plugin"? (and what is "pause up everything else"? The sound? The player get freezed?)
Victhor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2014, 16:48   #4
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
If the song ticker shows up displaying the song name and you right click on it till you get the ticker options and do so till the ticker itself has vanished (but with the context menu still there) and click out of it (like say, back into Winamps main window) it makes Winamp crasha reboot, which for some reason makes it stop this behavior until after a while it gets at it again.
I'm able to duplicate this. But if I select an option in the context menu (even reselect one that is already selected), the pop-up notification reappears, the context menu goes always, and Winamp continues working normally. So this is a bug, but the work-a-round is to select something in the context menu before selecting something else.

Hold on to your crash report (I will do likewise), in case DrO wants to see it when he gets the time to look into this.

Sorry, I stopped using hibernation (too many issues) and I'm not willing to re-enable it in order to test Winamp's responses to it. Hibernation is known to not work well with many apps, even with some of the OS features (i.e network connections and other things). It is better to close Winamp (and, in my experience, most other apps) before letting the system go into hibernation.

Hibernation is supposed to save the active state of the system when it starts and return things to what they were doing when it ends. This is a noble goal, but doesn't work well in practice with many things that are actively running when hibernation starts. I'm not sure where the major fault lies (apps or OS), since even some parts of the OS have trouble with it (if they're not setup to stay active during hibernation).

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Quinto Black CT v3.1 skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v1909 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2014, 16:57   #5
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victhor View Post
Moved!

As for your issues, in the 1st would be good to know on which skin is this happening (since it looks like something skin-related), ...
You may be right, I see it with my cPro 1 skins but not with the cPro 2 skins I've tested. Some Winamp modern skins do not have a context menu associated with the pop-up notification.

Old 26th July 2014, 17:59   #6
ChiggyChiggy

It happens to me with Dark Aluminum, Styler radiance, and also with cPro MPixi remix, which iirc is what Aminifu uses too.

I tried to make it do it in Bento... but apparently you cant right click on Bento's ticker thing o.O

I added the report it creates in the attachment. And yeah i have DrO's resumer plugin, is it related to it?

By pauses up i mean it just halts my entire computer for a few seconds, the cursor cant move at all. It basically just freezes up, then its back to normal. No other app has ever been able to do this other than Winamp.. If you recall in one of my previous earlier threads i mentioned that when Winamp tries to find a song but it cant locate it it has a similar effect and freezes everything to the point nothings useable

The funny thing about that freezing is that in task manager, while that all happens, the CPU usage isnt anywhere near 100%
Attached Files
File Type: zip report.zip (61.3 KB, 119 views)

Old 26th July 2014, 19:24   #7
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

I still can't reproduce the issue of the song ticker.. and wonder what you're referring to when you talk about the song ticker on cPro2 since it doesn't have a right click menu (cPro1 does have).

And no idea about the freeze-after-hibernate thing, I leave that to DrO, but I suspect it's actually related to some of your hard drives, since then is the only moment when I can remember my PC did that (was an HD about to crash... :/ ), that would be consistent with the ML passing through some bad cluster when doing a search..

I suggest you doing a disk defrag on your HDs and maybe scan for errors (don't know exactly how's the translate on english Windows). But that's just a suggestion by experience, I'm not technician here..
Old 26th July 2014, 23:35   #8
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victhor View Post
I still can't reproduce the issue of the song ticker.. and wonder what you're referring to when you talk about the song ticker on cPro2 since it doesn't have a right click menu (cPro1 does have).
Chiggy is talking about the pop-up notification window that appears briefly when a song starts (if it is enabled). All the cPro skins have a context menu associated with this window. Winamp's Bento skins do not.

It is curious that he can get the bug to appear with Styler Radiance. I can not.

Old 26th July 2014, 23:47   #9
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

Ahhh now we're talking!! That's the Notification window. Yes, now I CAN reproduce the bug..

At my end it's consistent among all cPro (1&2) skins (with the menu still visible, clicking anywhere other than Winamp triggers the error inmediately).

Thanks for the report, I'm pointing it to PJN.
Old 27th July 2014, 00:21   #10
DrO

its probably something weird with how focusing or something like that is being handled in conjunction with whatever the skin is trying to do. I've made a note to have a look and a crash report from someone else would also be helpful (mainly so i can see if its consistent across installs) but I don't have an ETA on when I'll get around to it. either way even if its something cPro specific, we shouldn't be locking up / crashing.

as for the hibernate thing, are you saying it locks up the system as well as Winamp? if so then its more likely it be the OS doing something weird or drive access being hindered (which could cause what I think is trying to be desribed). one thing would be to ensure Winamp is closed before hibernating and if it persists, though how I'd even start to debug it if it is actually Winamp at fault i just don't know.
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2014, 00:30   #11
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

There..
Attached Files
File Type: zip report_v.zip (54.0 KB, 101 views)
Old 27th July 2014, 14:04   #12
Aminifu
Forum King

My error report for this bug.

Last edited by Aminifu; 26th June 2018 at 14:53.
Old 27th July 2014, 15:42   #13
ChiggyChiggy

I suppose with the three of us having put up crash reports it should be clearer whats causing it... but if only cPro songs have a context menu in the notification ticker wouldnt that mean its possibly a cPro bug?

As for the lock up issue, i cant really pinpoint if its a hibernate issue or not, i just hibernated my computer with winamp running several times to make it do that but it doesnt do it. It just appears out of nowhere for some reason, its strange.

The kind of lock up/ freeze it causes is similar to this one i reported once http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=377453

Only difference is that unlike that one, it will do it with anything, for example when the song replays, when Winamp opens, when Winamp closes.

It makes Winamp + the cursor arrow be completely stuck. tbh im not sure if locks up everything else too, but those two are the most noticeable effects. (if i knew how to make Winamp trigger that effect id test it to see if it effects other things, sadly idk how to trigger it even lol)

I really doubt itd be my HDD dying on me, its not that old and HD Sentinel reports 95% health on the disk. I just did a defrag + ran Chkdsk on the drive with my music on it just incase thats causing tho.

Say, it wouldnt have anything to do with Winamp being installed on one drive (an SSD) and my music directory being on another (HDD) right?

Old 27th July 2014, 16:29   #14
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
The kind of lock up/ freeze it causes is similar to this one i reported once http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=377453
You didn't response to DrO's last suggestion in that thread. It's not nice to leave us hanging.

Quote:
Say, it wouldnt have anything to do with Winamp being installed on one drive (an SSD) and my music directory being on another (HDD) right?
If you are letting your drives power down during hibernation, then it will take the HDD longer to power back up than the SSD. Double check all your selected Power Plan options.

"CrystalDiskInfo" is a nice diagnostic tool (link below) for SSD and HDD drives. Ideally, drives should be 100% healthy. What is causing your 5% drop?

http://crystalmark.info/software/Cry...o/index-e.html

Old 27th July 2014, 16:39   #15
ChiggyChiggy

I replied to it now lol, i completely forgot to reply back to it xD Thanks for reminding me!

Wait, if theyre already powered on after hibernating doesnt it mean that theyll stay that way? Ive never messed with the default power options of Windows. Id assume that if its playing files continuously from that drive then it will be on until a very long pause from lack of use o.O

Old 27th July 2014, 16:42   #16
ChiggyChiggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
"CrystalDiskInfo" is a nice diagnostic tool (link below) for SSD and HDD drives. Ideally, drives should be 100% healthy. What is causing your 5% drop?

http://crystalmark.info/software/Cry...o/index-e.html
Hmm, that is a good question, i suppose perhaps from a lack of defrags maybe? Ever since i made the switch from a slow HDD for my main drive ive stopped fanatically defragging them lol

I need to investigate this...

Old 27th July 2014, 16:46   #17
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
I replied to it now lol, i completely forgot to reply back to it xD Thanks for reminding me!

Wait, if theyre already powered on after hibernating doesnt it mean that theyll stay that way? Ive never messed with the default power options of Windows. Id assume that if its playing files continuously from that drive then it will be on until a very long pause from lack of use o.O
Don't assume. Review all the selected Power Plan options and learn what they are doing. Just saying, it's better to know.

Quote:
Hmm, that is a good question, i suppose perhaps from a lack of defrags maybe? Ever since i made the switch from a slow HDD for my main drive ive stopped fanatically defragging them lol

I need to investigate this...
Drives can fail or start to fail at any time. The age of the drive has nothing to do with this, it's more dependent on their condition leaving the factory, how they were handled until you installed it, and how you're using it. Try that tool I suggested, it will highlight areas that might be marginal.

OT: What SSD are you using? I finally got a Crucial MX100 (256 GB) last month. Really liking it so far.

Old 27th July 2014, 16:54   #18
ChiggyChiggy

I just checked and i was right, nothings changed, i even made it reset to its defaults just to be sure, and aside from screen brightness, nothing changed

Edit;

So i just tried CrystalDiskInfo and... strange o.O it says "Caution"

That worried me alot so i checked what exactly HD Sentinel is the cause of the degrade in health and... its not relaly that bad, pretty standard with HDDs

Same goes with another HD info tool i tried, nothing bad really

Hmm, my SDD is a KINGSTON SH103S3120G, served me pretty well so far, the performance is AMAZING, just dont defrag them.. that kills them so fast lol

Old 27th July 2014, 17:48   #19
Aminifu
Forum King

Sometimes the power plan defaults are not the best options when using sleep and/or hibernation. Of course, you should run your system the way you want. I have a desktop (with a UPS to backup utility AC power), so I use a customized high performance plan. For example, you may want to try disabling the Link State Power Management feature under the PCI Express option.

Power fluctuations can cause all kinds of weird issues, so I don't do anything that will turn certain subsystems off and on (except for the monitor) to save a few bucks on my power bill. It is possible to fine tune the power plans (high performance, balanced, and others that may be present) for the particular usage, but it's too much of a hassle for me. Even, my system power supply has at least 35% excess capacity.

As to the HDD, weak sectors can turn into bad sectors with little warning. So follow the tool's advice (remap those sectors) and check things regularly. You do have a full separate backup, right?

Yes, defraging a SSD wears them out faster. Even modern HDDs don't need a lot of defraging unless you're frequently adding and deleting a lot of stuff. The best way to maintain the performance of a drive is not to fill them up.

Old 27th July 2014, 18:09   #20
ChiggyChiggy

Yeah for the most part, my system drive (SSD) is regularly backed up 3 times a week.

Altho my data drive less often since theres 400gb of data on it and theres always changes to it and added up those amount to a crapton of space once theres multiple version of the backup (stacks of several external 2tb HDDs arent that fun to lug around lol)

A bit topic derailing, but since its on topic, is there a way to backup Winamp? All of Winamps data seems to be stored in %appdata% so if someone were to copy that folder and put it on a different system (said different system has the same directory for the music files) would it work? Preserving playcount, settings, plugins, and date added stuff etc... ?

Old 27th July 2014, 18:14   #21
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
A bit topic derailing, but since its on topic, is there a way to backup Winamp?
I use Koopa's Winamp Backup Tool (link below).

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=317153

Old 30th July 2014, 15:50   #22
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
All of Winamps data seems to be stored in %appdata% so if someone were to copy that folder and put it on a different system (said different system has the same directory for the music files) would it work? Preserving playcount, settings, plugins, and date added stuff etc... ?
Some things would work and some won't without a lot of manual work to modify certain things.

First you may have to adjust security permissions of data files that will need to be updated in the normal course of using Winamp (if the transfer is to a user profile with a different name or permissions).

If your media was transferred in a way that created different "Created" and "Modified" dates, then things like 'playcount' and 'date added' would be affected (since Winamp tracks these file dates to determine if something is new). There are utilities that let you change these dates back to what they were (but that could be a lot of work, even doing it in batches). Things (like ratings) stored within each media file as metadata won't be affected.

If Winamp is installed in it's default location, then old 3rd party plug-ins that want to write to these locations (after installation) would be blocked by OSes since XP. For example, a plug-in that wants to put it's configuration .ini file in the Winamp/Plugins folder and update it from time to time or refresh it after each Winamp session. One way around this is to run Winamp in administrator mode when these files need updating (not an option if they are refreshed after every Winamp session). Another way is to change security permissions (not recommended). If you must use old 3rd party plug-ins that otherwise work with Winamp, then Winamp should be installed in a drive's root folder rather than in it's default location.

So, I use the Winamp Backup Tool in order to have copies of data files and some other stuff for my current configuration that may get damaged in some way (then playcounts, date added, and other things as of the last backup would be recoverable). For transfer to a new system (with the same user account name and permissions and the same storage locations for Winamp and my media), I accept that some things (like playcount) would start over fresh.

Old 30th July 2014, 19:55   #23
pjn123
Major Dude

Thanks for the report ChiggyChiggy (and Victhor for pointing me to the forum report )

The notifier bug was a cPro bug and it's now fixed for the next release.

If you want the fix now - just check the attached 7zip file and copy the fix.

It will be added to cPro v2.03
Attached Files
File Type: 7z script.7z (6.1 KB, 119 views)

ClassicPro© v2.01 : This plugin allows you to use cPro skins in Winamp. ClassicPro skins are all SUI skins and loads very quickly. ClassicPro skins is even easier to skin than Winamp Classic skins. A new layout have been added since version 2.
Download ClassicPro© ==== cPro Skins ==== ClassicPro© Homepage ==== SC Forums
pjn123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2014, 20:52   #24
DrO

what was the issue (as i've not had a chance to look through the crash reports) as even if there was a bug in the skin script, crashing isn't what should be happening.
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2014, 12:24   #25
pjn123
Major Dude

Hey DrO

This is basically what happened:

PHP Code:
dynamicContainerOrLayout.onRightButtonUp(){

showMenu();

// **
   // crash here
}

reset(){ //function that is called on every track change if the notifier is not still visible

dynamicContainerOrLayout.close(); //kills the container/layout

**the reset() function is called somewhere here when the right click menu is still open and the container is killed.

So basically the dynamicContainerOrLayout gets a "return;" when it was already deleted and that crashes the program.

Hope this helps

ClassicPro© v2.01 : This plugin allows you to use cPro skins in Winamp. ClassicPro skins are all SUI skins and loads very quickly. ClassicPro skins is even easier to skin than Winamp Classic skins. A new layout have been added since version 2.
Download ClassicPro© ==== cPro Skins ==== ClassicPro© Homepage ==== SC Forums
pjn123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2014, 03:26   #26
ChiggyChiggy

Im glad the song ticker issue was fixed ^-^

But for the second issue i had, theres a follow up: it isnt related to my HDD, i tried it by putting songs on my main healthy SSD and playing them from there. same exact thing. This was after it was beginning to do it with my other files (that are on my second HDD)

Heres the funny thing though, once in Safe Mode (Winamp's safe mode that is) the issue stops.

I dont have any out of the ordinary addons though, theres the VGM input, the Win7 taskbar addon, some of DrO's addons, UltimateMediaLibray Plugin, 2 of Bogprog's addons, the LastFM scrobbler plugin, and the Classic Spectrum visualizer plugin.

I searched to see if others have the same issue and im not the only one whos had this issue, its been around over time but no ones ever bothered to find a fix, just guesses that lead to nowhere.

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=339050
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=305801
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=338492
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=331873
http://www.ausgamers.com/forums/gene...ad.php/3233598
http://www.overclock.net/t/145534/wh...lagging-so-bad

I thought using Aminifu's solution in this scenario http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....35#post3004035 would help in my case, however that was more or less null and void in my case.

I thought using the old classic Winamp 2.x skin would fix it, but nothing at all changed.

I have 8GB of RAM and a quadcore i7, i really doubt its my hardware. No other app so far has ever had the ability make my computer get stuck for a few seconds this particular way.

When this happens (as in, when a file's playback starts) Process Explorer shows that CPU usage is up to 8%. Usually when an app freezes up my computer that way its somewhere around 90% CPU usage, so this is really weird.

Old 12th August 2014, 09:24   #27
ryerman
Major Dude

Quote:
Heres the funny thing though, once in Safe Mode (Winamp's safe mode that is) the issue stops.
Actually, it is unsurprising that Winamp in Safe Mode runs without issues.
The next step is to identify the plugin(s) causing the problem.

An info report will allow an expert (not me) to evaluate your plugins and suggest removals.
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=328932

But you can do your own investigation.
After disabling all 3rd party plugins, enable and test them one at a time.
The culprit will most likely be the last one enabled just before the problem reappears.

Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Winamp 5.666, Bento Skin
ryerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2014, 19:20   #28
ChiggyChiggy

Id do my own testing to find out what does it, but it only starts having that behavior after being open for about a day or two w/ hibernations, so i cant check till then.

But as requested
Attached Files
File Type: zip Winamp_Info_Report_08-12-2014.zip (9.1 KB, 120 views)

Old 24th August 2014, 09:42   #29
ChiggyChiggy

On doing more testing myself after i finally i got it to d it, the issue seems to have been down to the Win7 taskbar plugin

Im not sure if it was in this thread that i mentioned it, but that bug where clicking on a non existent file makes Winamp slow everything down to the point of insanity seems to have been from it too, because now i can click on a deleted file several times and nothing happens D:

Guess now i know why didnt several others complain about that bug... it wasnt a Winamp bug afterall D:

Gah this sucks, that plugin was so kickass D; I considered it along with the BogProg and input plugins to be one of the best more recent plugins Winamp had.

DrO... is there any possibility of these landing in 6.xx?

-Increasing/ decreasing volume by mouse wheeling over taskbar icon, this one is a real time saver, you cant even imagine how convenient it is! Its as great as the normal mouse wheeling the volume you get in the main Winamp window.
-Album art in the Win7 peek hover window, this one was my main use of it at first
-Ability for the pause button to be both the play and stop button? Like an option to merge and unmerge them?

Those were the reasons i kept that plugin, and since you were one of the people that worked on it you do have knowledge and its workings arent completely alien to you.... Please? For Win7+ systems its practically essential! D:

Old 24th August 2014, 14:56   #30
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
On doing more testing myself after i finally i got it to d it, the issue seems to have been down to the Win7 taskbar plugin
That is interesting news. That plug-in is also very important to my enjoyment of Winamp. I would truly hate to lose it. There are a few issues with some of the things it tries to do that could not be fixed because of the way the OS does things.

Using album art in Winamp's taskbar icon's peek hover window is also why I started using it, several years ago (before I joined this forum).

There hasn't been any activity in it's discussion thread for quite awhile. The last post from it's dev was in November, 2011. Ironically, the last post in the thread is one by me asking an OT question I had hoped the dev would comment on.

Quote:
Im not sure if it was in this thread that i mentioned it, but that bug where clicking on a non existent file makes Winamp slow everything down to the point of insanity seems to have been from it too, because now i can click on a deleted file several times and nothing happens
Are you talking about a missing file that is still listed in a playlist or the media library database? I let Winamp automatically remove any in the library when I rescan. I usually right-click on those in a playlist to use a context command to see what the old path or filename was, then remove or correct them. For me, Winamp just skips over missing items in a playlist during play or if I double-click them.

Old 24th August 2014, 15:10   #31
ChiggyChiggy

It completed my Winamp experience too lol, without seeing album art it just felt so.. strange, so when i discovered that plugin it felt like a godsend that made switching over to Winamp from AIMP completely be an easy choice.

Have you ever encountered any issues from it too? I really hope its dev is still reachable :/

And yeah thats what i meant, perhaps if you disabled it just a bit from automatically removing the missing files and made it try to play a missing file in the playlist or ML, youll get the issue i had xD

Now Winamp just doesnt play anything if the file is missing, its as if ive stopped it manually. Sooooo much better than having my entire system halt itself for a few minutes.

Old 24th August 2014, 15:35   #32
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Have you ever encountered any issues from it too? I really hope its dev is still reachable :/
Only with trying to overlay text (like song titles) on the images, so I stopped trying to do that. Now I use DrO's Taskbar Text Mod plug-in to customize the scrolling title (it's different from what I use in the main app). There are also some features that I have never tried, like using the mouse wheel on the icon to change volume. I prefer to use my master volume controls (most often on my keyboard).

Well there's been no word from him here in almost 3 years and the development site (http://code.google.com/p/win7shell/) is quiet too, so it looks like he has moved on.

Quote:
And yeah thats what i meant, perhaps if you disabled it just a bit from automatically removing the missing files and made it try to play a missing file in the playlist or ML, youll get the issue i had xD
Just tried it again and can't duplicate your issue. I deleted a playlist item from my drive (put it in the recycle bin) and Winamp justs skips over the entry during normal playback and if I double-click on it. Do you also have this problem running in Safe Mode? I use more 3rd party stuff than you, but you have a couple I don't use. Even some of DrO's older plug-ins have messed with things in seemly unrelated areas when the main app was updated.

I don't do anything to automatically remove missing files from a playlist, only to remove them from the library during a rescan.

And I notice some stuff in your info report that probably shouldn't matter, like the old versions of IE and JTFE plug-in. I also don't install stuff I don't use, like the Sonic burning engine, AVS, language packs, and all but 1 of the portable media player plug-ins. I also don't register Winamp for all file types available, only those I actually use Winamp for.

Last edited by Aminifu; 24th August 2014 at 16:46.
Old 24th August 2014, 17:45   #33
ChiggyChiggy

Quote:
Now I use DrO's Taskbar Text Mod plug-in to customize the scrolling title (it's different from what I use in the main app).
I really need to take the time to check out this plugin...

Quote:
There are also some features that I have never tried, like using the mouse wheel on the icon to change volume. I prefer to use my master volume controls (most often on my keyboard).
Id convince you about how cool the mousewheel feature is, but you have actual keyboard keys for that, lol damn youre lucky, those own having to use that method by far v_v

Quote:
Just tried it again and can't duplicate your issue. I deleted a playlist item from my drive (put it in the recycle bin) and Winamp justs skips over the entry during normal playback and if I double-click on it. Do you also have this problem running in Safe Mode? I use more 3rd party stuff than you, but you have a couple I don't use. Even some of DrO's older plug-ins have messed with things in seemly unrelated areas when the main app was updated.
Thats very odd o.O When i repeatedly tried the missing file in a playlist with and without the plugin, all the times the issue stopped was when it was uninstalled, but as long as it was installed the issue was there..

This makes me wonder if configuring stuff in the Win7 taskbar plugin and not sticking with the defaults has anything to do with it, since im assuming i customized mine more than yours currently is.. hmm..

Quote:
And I notice some stuff in your info report that probably shouldn't matter, like the old versions of IE and JTFE plug-in. I also don't install stuff I don't use, like the Sonic burning engine, AVS, language packs, and all but 1 of the portable media player plug-ins. I also don't register Winamp for all file types available, only those I actually use Winamp for.
I never meddle with IE at all lol. The only time i remember to update IE that is if i reinstall Windows, if i dont do it then then i never do it, cuz after that id have already used it to download Firefox and have no reason to open IE anymore :P

Thanks for reminding me about JTFE btw, couldve sworn i have it updated. I dont really know what its for or does but ill get on it.

Old 24th August 2014, 18:16   #34
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

Quote:
-Increasing/ decreasing volume by mouse wheeling over taskbar icon, this one is a real time saver, you cant even imagine how convenient it is! Its as great as the normal mouse wheeling the volume you get in the main Winamp window.
Just for the record (not even entirely related..), there is a pretty cool (free) app that allows you to change the Master volume by just scrolling on any part of the taskbar: Preme.
It also adds a lot more of small but handy functions to those heavy-mouse users like me (like minimizing just by scrolling down, hold a window on top by holding the mouse button down, etc)

PS: While trying to edit the post to warn about the ugly pink-splashscreen the program began to baheave strangely, even had a couple of blue-screen of death so.. be careful, it may be only my set up or the app itself, sorry.
Old 24th August 2014, 18:34   #35
Aminifu
Forum King

The Taskbar Text Mod plug-in is on the To Do list, but has not yet been re-released.

Some people's systems had problems with the Win 7 taskbar plug-in that the dev was never able to replicate (and he was able to test on several platforms). Maybe you are in that unfortunate group.

JTFE brings a lot of usability enhancements, some of which are not easily seen. I think it's worth it to learn something about it (http://winampplugins.co.uk/jtfe.html).

IE 8 is insecure. Winamp uses the IE engine internally for a number of things, so it needs to be installed (even if not used for external browsing). The same is true for some code related to WMP, btw. Microsoft has been trying hard to get people to upgrade from IE 8. As always you are free to do as you please and if you suffer any adverse consequences, you can't say you weren't warned.

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support

Tags
crashes, slowness