Old 22nd February 2006, 02:36   #1
Vchat20
Major Dude

Simple Line-In Streaming Route

Simple question requiring a simple answer and simple solution:

Im trying to setup an aac+ rebroadcast of a local terrestrial station purely for my own use (will have DNAS on private and set at no more than 4 listeners max). I already have the radio hooked up to the computer and all is setup to where I can hear it.

But here is where im stuck: Im looking for a simple and low-resource-intensive solution to streaming aac+ from the line in port. I can use winamp and the dsp, but thats one extra application I dont need (winamp itself since the dsp will run in soundcard mode). I can use spacialaudio's simplecaster as its designed for soundcard sourcing such as this, but I dont think there is a method to go aac+ from this. I can also try the orban encoder, but last time I used it it was a MAJOR resource hog and its costly.

so anyone got some ideas? Short and sweet requirements: "line in" input and low resource usage.
Vchat20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2006, 03:49   #2
hackerdork
Forum King

well you need something to capture the audio line in and send it to the server, so winamp is the best solution on a windows box. If you want to use a linux system, you can also run that for the server and or encoder and free up you pc for other things it wouldnt take much for the encoder and server say a p2 266 with 64mb of ram running linux or Unix like freebsd, and a generic sound card.

most of broadcasting has been with files and not live line input so my servers do not have a sound card in them. However when I need to DJ or use line input I use the winamp DSP and point to one of the servers. Works slick and I can still listen to mp3 while I talk or use line input as you can run more than one copy of winamp at one time.

other tools like SAM2 that use the shoutcast dsp, can act like a passthrough to from the soundcard to a DSP simular to winamp. Frankly a smaller foot print from an applicaiton standpoint would be the older version of winamp like 2.9.1 or even 1.66 (first version I used with should cast).

good luck.

~ According to the ship's log we're down to our last 3000 vomit bags.It'll never be enough.
search the forums! don't PM me on how-to, or ask me to setup you system. you do it so you learn.
hackerdork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2006, 06:15   #3
Vchat20
Major Dude

not to sound condescending, but I know all that. I just wanted to know of a standalone application that can stream aac+ from a line source.

And I did find I was looking for. I just grabbed the standalone version of Oddcast and combined with the aacplus dll from winamp it does EXACTLY what I want. Its currently running on a 733mhz machine encoding the line source on the fly to a 24kbps/44khz/PS aac+ stream and barely taking the cpu usage past 15%. Now ive got access to my favorite local station anywhere Ive got a net connection despite the station's lack of a net stream.
Vchat20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2006, 13:40   #4
hackerdork
Forum King

Uhh like I knew your mad skills no worries.

Cheers

~ According to the ship's log we're down to our last 3000 vomit bags.It'll never be enough.
search the forums! don't PM me on how-to, or ask me to setup you system. you do it so you learn.
hackerdork is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Discussions