Old 17th July 2022, 16:53   #1
Mikey7

What causes Quinto 3.6 components to not draw completely?

This issue has happened to me before with Quinto CT 3.6 and the only cure was to completely remove and reinstall Winamp 5.666 (3516) including the ...\user\AppData\roaming components. Simply removing and reinstalling Quinto 3.6 does nothing and these components are still don't draw completely. It is always the components under "Options...Quinto Black CT." I've tried searching but I may not be describing this accurately.

I'm using a 4K monitor, Windows 11.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2022-07-17 094442.png
Views:	58
Size:	657.2 KB
ID:	54921  
Mikey7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2022, 05:09   #2
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey7 View Post
This issue has happened to me before with Quinto CT 3.6 and the only cure was to completely remove and reinstall Winamp 5.666 (3516) including the ...\user\AppData\roaming components. Simply removing and reinstalling Quinto 3.6 does nothing and these components are still don't draw completely. It is always the components under "Options...Quinto Black CT." I've tried searching but I may not be describing this accurately.

I'm using a 4K monitor, Windows 11.
The Quinto Black CT v3.6 installer makes some bad assumptions about how you may have Winamp installed. Read this post (http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=456741), it may have some info that will help you.

After fixing any installation issues, it may also be helpful to let Winamp re-build it's configuration file for modern skins (instead of a complete Winamp reinstall). The file is named "studio.xnf" and is located in your user/appdata/roaming/winamp folder. While Winamp is shutdown, rename the existing "studio.xnf" file to "old.studio.xnf" or something similar, so that you don't lose it.

Letting Winamp rebuild "studio.xnf" also means that the configuration data for any other modern skins you use, will need to be re-saved. You will need to select these other modern skins (while Winamp is running) and set them up as you had them before.

This is why you should rename the old "studio.xnf" instead of deleting it. To save time re-setting up your other modern skins (or to get them set up exactly as you had them), you can use any text editor (like notepad) to carefully copy the relevant sections from the renamed "studio.xnf" to the new one, while Winamp is shutdown. If you can't tell what is relevant, then don't try editing the new "studio.xnf".

Winamp v5.9.0.9999 - Quinto Black CT v3.6 skin
Windows 11 Home 64-bit v21H2 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2022, 13:15   #3
Mikey7

Thanks very much, Aminifu - letting Winamp rebuild studio.xnf worked like a charm.

I've always been careful to ensure that Winamp (5.666 (3516)) is installed in the Program Files (x86) directory so that Quinto installs properly as I learned the hard way quite a while ago that it's a finicky little bugger.

I'm going to keep my eyes peeled this time to see if I can pinpoint when the trouble starts. It always does but at least this time around I'll be armed with the "fix" - rebuilding studio.xnf. In any event, all is well for the moment and it doesn't take that long to set Quinto back up - I'm so used to configuring the darn thing, it's almost automatic.

Honestly, given the fact that if I change from one modern skin to another modern skin and find that attributes of one skin find their way into the right-click menu of the other modern skin (usually BBM), I wouldn't be surprised if gen_ff wasn't at least partly the culprit here.

Thanks again!
Old 18th July 2022, 23:17   #4
Mikey7

In giving it some thought, I have a theory as to why this might happen and it has to do with scaling modern skins. I haven't tested this yet because I don't really want the inconvenience of having to re-configure Quinto the way I like it again after letting Winamp rebuild studio.xnf but I eventually will.

I got into trouble with this not once, but at least 3 times - the first time having to re-install Winamp, then the public version of WACUP, then then this last time and again, with Winamp 5.666 (3516). I did the same thing all 3 times and it was this: I went into Big Bento Modern and set Windows scaling to 85% as that is my personal preference for BBM on a 4K panel. Big Bento gets 125%. Anyway, I'm pretty certain that every time I did that, once I went back into the Quinto optional settings and brought up Configuration or other unused options such as "VU Meter Digital Vertical" they were screwed up as shown in the screenshot above. I'm not a coder or skinner but from what I've read, this sure sounds like it could be attributed to gen_ff. I've never felt the need to either scale or change the opacity of Quinto itself.

Once I get around to testing this hypothesis, I'll come back with the results.
Old 19th July 2022, 02:19   #5
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
... I wouldn't be surprised if gen_ff wasn't at least partly the culprit here.
That is probably true.

I like Quinto too. But I don't like having to let Winamp rebuild studio.xnf for every version update.

Old 19th July 2022, 11:39   #6
Mikey7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
That is probably true.

I like Quinto too. But I don't like having to let Winamp rebuild studio.xnf for every version update.
3.6 is the only version I ever used. I had been away from Winamp for a few years before coming back so last year when I started using it again and "discovered" Quinto, 3.6 was it.

I had posted another comment here regarding my hypothesis as to why the configuration panel and optional components weren't drawing correctly but it went into moderation a few days ago and I'm not certain why. Probably because I'm new. I wouldn't be surprised it was because I used scaling on Big Bento Modern (85% on a 4K monitor). Let's hear it for gen_ff weirdness.

(Mods - I don't see a specific breaking of the rules but if I've done something wrong, please let me know.)
Old 19th July 2022, 11:46   #7
Mikey7

Oh carp...the comment that went into moderation was posted and I missed it. Please forgive a newbie to the Forum.
Old 19th July 2022, 23:34   #8
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
3.6 is the only version I ever used. I had been away from Winamp for a few years before coming back so last year when I started using it again and "discovered" Quinto, 3.6 was it.
That explains why you didn't know about the need to rebuild studio.xnf. Or maybe you didn't read enough of the posts about Quinto Black CT in this forum's modern skins section. I know there are a lot of them (many from me).

I've been using it since PeterK's first release of his mod of the original Quinto. I liked v3.1 better than v3.6 mostly because of the album coverflow feature. Version 3.1 shows up to 4 (instead of 3) album art images of the previous and next items in the playlist.

Old 20th July 2022, 00:57   #9
Mikey7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
That explains why you didn't know about the need to rebuild studio.xnf. Or maybe you didn't read enough of the posts about Quinto Black CT in this forum's modern skins section. I know there are a lot of them (many from me).

I've been using it since PeterK's first release of his mod of the original Quinto. I liked v3.1 better than v3.6 mostly because of the album coverflow feature. Version 3.1 shows up to 4 (instead of 3) album art images of the previous and next items in the playlist.
You'd be surprised - I read through a LOT of those comments on that thread and did a lot of searching - I figured I was either not getting the search terms right or nobody else was having the same issue!

I read through enough of them to get a good feel for Quinto's evolution. I would like to have checked out the color themes but I guess I sort of get the idea of why he progressed away from color themes to the RGB color changer.

I'm really a huge fan of the skin. I finally got my license info for the Thimeo Declipper and it just seems to make a great companion - I only use it for streaming radio, otherwise, I use Replay Gain where I need it. Hard to believe the Declipper (and the larger Stereo Tool) are still in business!

Thanks again for all your help, Aminifu!
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support