Old 4th August 2022, 17:48   #1
tiopete

unable to use Winamp

Somehow, I minimized the player to the point where it is not usable. Winamp has been my default music player since it first became available years ago.
The player icon on my desktop is so small,I cannot view anything to change settings, change the view or close the app.
Apparently after a playback, I hit the minimize instead of the close button on the upper right. It is so tiny on my desktop, that the buttons, settings etc are not viewable even using a magnifying glass.

I did a full uninstall using Revo uninstaller. I reinstalled Winamp using several old versions, and today the latest version.
No success!!!
I have used VLC player in the meantime but NOTHING compares to Winamp for music playback and Winamps wonderful features.

I stopped using Windows media player , and then media player classic when Winamp first became available.
I have Winamp properly functioning on my other PC and even tried using the programs(x86) folder from that one on this PC with no success.

I'm using WIN10 Home,latest version

Any suggestion for how I can restore the player on my desktop so it's fully viewable and usable enabling changing playback options, etc???

Thanks for your assistance.
tiopete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2022, 18:07   #2
NJK
FRISIAN (MOD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiopete View Post

I did a full uninstall using Revo uninstaller. I reinstalled Winamp using several old versions, and today the latest version.
No success!!!

Thanks for your assistance.
Uninstall winamp, goto program files on your harddrive and delete the winamp folder ( do drag and drop plugins elsewhere if you want to use them again , also with skins etc) do a clean install of the latest version and put skins /plugins back in the subfolders they belong in the programs files folder again.

and let us know if it worked for you
NJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2022, 20:38   #3
tiopete

Thanks for the prompt response. I believe that I may have already done what you suggested a month or two ago. When I used the Revo, it gave me the options of deleting anything on my HD with Winamp.
However, I will follow your instructions when I continue with this tomorrow.

VLC is great for video playback but as previously stated, nothing compares to Winamp for music. I wish that the infotainment in my car was as good.
Old 5th August 2022, 07:26   #4
Aminifu
Forum King

Assuming that the version and setup of the Winamp that is working is the same or similar to the one that isn't working properly, I suggest you use the winamp.ini and studio.xnf files from the working one to replace these files for the one that isn't. These configuration files are in your users winamp data folder: c:\users\tiopete\appdata\roaming\winamp. If tiopete is not your user name on these computers, then use whatever the name is on them.

Winamp v5.9.0.9999 - Quinto Black CT v3.6 skin
Windows 11 Home 64-bit v21H2 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2022, 17:15   #5
tiopete

First of all, thanks for all of the tips.
II did not copy the winamp.ini and studio.xnf files from my other WIN10 Home PC because it has an older version of Winamp. Should I try to do so?
The problem began just before summer. I uninstalled, reinstalled and so on.
Using the abilities of my app Revo Uninstaller, all Winamp folders, etc were removed from my PC.
I was only partially successful. As before, I’m using the Winamp Classic skin. However even after clicking double size/control D, the size is still too small to properly use the various buttons and settings. Some are not even viewable.
In the past, I was easily able to resize the skin. Interestingly, our other PCs, also Win10 do not have this issue. They all have older versions of Winamp.

At least I can still use my favorite visuaization pixel trip. And, can once again cue up my favorite CDs to enable me to wander around inside and outside listening to my favorites sounds using my Bluetooth head phones.
Years ago, I digitized my entire CD collection to enable using the Winamp cue ability. In addition, I also have most of it on USB flash drives to use in my car via the USB ports on the cars console. Unfortunately, my car will not allow playback of FLAC audio files so they are all MP3 320kps.
As far as sound settings, the equalizer is difficult to use because the slider switches, etc are so small.
To compensate for that, I have a terrific audio app-FxSound enhancer to use as my equalizer.
I must have done something on my PC to cause this issue but it just won’t resolve. Yesterday, I even tried resizing the folders and icons displayed on my desktop but that did not work.
I’m sorry that I did not think of using system restore to resolve the problem .

Is there any other way to enlarge the skin as I did in the past other than CTRL D?
Thanks------------
Old 5th August 2022, 21:27   #6
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
First of all, thanks for all of the tips.
II did not copy the winamp.ini and studio.xnf files from my other WIN10 Home PC because it has an older version of Winamp. Should I try to do so? ...
What are the 2 versions? If they are not too far apart, it could work. Anyway, it can't hurt to try, as long as you make copies of what you replace so that you can put things back as they were.

Quote:
I must have done something on my PC to cause this issue but it just won’t resolve. Yesterday, I even tried resizing the folders and icons displayed on my desktop but that did not work.
I’m sorry that I did not think of using system restore to resolve the problem .
Sounds like you may need to start from scratch and reinstall the OS and all your apps. That sucks, but sometimes is the only thing that works. It also takes less time than a tedious search thru everything for what files are missing in the OS.

Before starting over, you can try the "SFC /scannow" command that will check all protected system files and replace any that are corrupted or missing. Search google for how to do this.

Quote:
Is there any other way to enlarge the skin as I did in the past other than CTRL D?
Have you tried clicking on the outside edge of the lower right corner of the window and dragging to resize it?

Winamp v5.9.0.9999 - Quinto Black CT v3.6 skin
Windows 11 Home 64-bit v21H2 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support