Old 25th May 2001, 06:31   #1
geiss
Nullsoft Visualization Developer

I added stereo 3D to v0.99c, but I know it's a bit of a rarity for people to have stereo 3d glasses lying around (the kind with red and blue lenses). Has anyone had a chance to try it out? What did you think?

If you haven't seen it yet, I urge you to try and track down some of these glasses; it's pretty cool, IMHO. =) My favorite presets for it are "serpentine", "crater", and "shockwaves" (they're in the '3d' subdirectory).
geiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2001, 01:54   #2
spookytay

Yes, I just found out that there was a 3D directory. Does anyone know if the 3D glasses will work if you are color blind? I'll have to find some glasses and find out.
spookytay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2001, 18:01   #3
skomm

Oh yes... wow... just tried it. Beautiful. REALLY great work, I'm amazed people don't write more programs for those kind of specs. I use them with a lot of printouts, but this is really mindblowing. I'm even more dizzy now.
One tiny thing: My specs are reversed, I have to turn them over to see the right effect. I'd really like to see a toggle for that. Thanks!

Björn
skomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2001, 00:55   #4
bsbuckeye21

brilliant idea!

That's amazing! But, could you do it without the blue and red 3d glasses? Y'know, the ones where you look at them one lense is clear and the other one looks darker? This way you could do 3d without the color alterations.
bsbuckeye21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2001, 22:45   #5
Edgewize

It has to be done with either the cheap red-and-blue glasses, or the expensive and headache-inducing LCD shutters. The two-graytone glasses won't work because they rely on polarization.

Basically, all light waves can be polarized (made to wobble only along a certain plane). If you make some light wobble only horizontally and some only vertically, then you can filted one type per eye with those glasses. However, a computer monitor has no way to specificy the polarization of the light that comes out of it, so there is no way to have one eye's view come out horizontal and the other eye's view vertical.

The color shift of the red-blue glasses usually goes away if you wear them enough - the brain readjusts to getting different color information from each eye.

Edgewize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2001, 15:05   #6
TheHacker

Send a message via ICQ to TheHacker
Hi Ryan (hope I can call you so) and everyone else,
1. I just downloaded MilkDrop and am really looking forward to it. concerning your question - I only have red-GREEN 3D glasses. Will the effect work with them? If not, any chance you might add an option for red-green glasses users?

2. I don't think it will work if you are color blind. But hey, you can try.

3. Ryan, do you know those 3D pictures where you have to look "further" to see the hidden 3D pic? (You can find examples on http://thehacker.host.sk/3dpics.html ) Any chance you could implement such a thing? I mean, that there would be two small pictures (two animations) horizontally close to eachother so that if you look "further" each eye gets its own animation, hence making it possible to see them 3D? I guess not many people are able to move their eyes apart easily, but hey, I can! :-)
Any chance? (Please...)

Thanks in advance
Roman
TheHacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2001, 18:50   #7
spookytay

whoa...

Alright, My roomate found some glasses and this is awesome. I can see them being colorblind which is great. Most of the time I miss out on cool things. Now we have people stopping by thinking were crazy starring at the computer all day with 3D glasses on
Old 1st June 2001, 23:28   #8
hiredgoonz

Which side is which color?

Ok, this may be a dumb question, but I couldn't find any 3d glasses, so I made my own, and I think the cellophane may not be the right color, but which eye should be which color?

hiredgoonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2001, 00:37   #9
bsbuckeye21

Left is blue, right is red. I hope the blue cellophane you're using is dark enough; most are pretty light.
bsbuckeye21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2001, 01:38   #10
hiredgoonz

Thanks

Maybe that's the problem...I don't think the cellophane is filtering out the colors properly...the irritating part is that I've seen games, books, magazines, even cards at hallmark that came with 3D glasses, but now that I want a pair I can't find em...

hiredgoonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2001, 06:36   #11
Adair

I realized that I had a pair that came with the game Heart of Darkness. I really like the 3D effect. My favorite is Monocrome Ripples. I tried to make my own based off of Bass Kaliedescope and the Octopus presets, but they don't look as good as Mr. Geiss'. Thanks for another reason to stare at a screen for hours on end.
Adair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2001, 18:46   #12
arial_tetsuo

Get free 3D glasses

You can get free 3D glassesat the following URL:

http://www.3dglasses.net/free3dglasses.htm

It just takes a SASE, and the stereo 3D presets in MilkDrop are damn worth the 68¢!
arial_tetsuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2001, 04:07   #13
thefritz

Send a message via AIM to thefritz
Hello everyone! I'm sure people probably already know about this, but some of the normal presets are amazingly 3d with the clear 3d glasses. i'm not exactly sure what they are called, all i know i got them at the pink floyd lazer light show. and watching milk drop while listening to the wall is just as good as going to the light show. with these glasses, when any blues, greens or reds appear, they are on 3 different levels. in one preset, i'm not sure which one, a VERY 3d ball emerges, it is stuningly beautiful. Peace to all!
the fritz

side note to Ryan Geiss:

Milkdrop and Dremples are in my opinion the most creative visual programs i have ever seen. I am looking forward to any new programs you come out with. And i am amazed at the programs you wrote in 1993! Good luck to you and take care!
thefritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2001, 18:08   #14
Entropy42

Shutter-style glasses.

I've been attempting to get the regular presets to work with the shutter-style glasses that came with my Asus V6800 Deluxe, but so far, no dice.

I could've overwritten the drivers with NVidia reference drivers tho, as stereoscopic 3D is no longer working in Q3A either. (I never play with the glasses, as the refresh rate is too slow for gaming, but it might rock with MilkDrop.)

More info tonight.
Entropy42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2001, 03:41   #15
netsharc

Lens Colours

You can change the colour of the lenses, under Configure Plugin, More Options..
netsharc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2001, 11:32   #16
TheHacker

Hi,
Concerning the red-green glasses, does anyone know the RGB values for the lenses? I tried to select the colors of the lenses by guessing, but wasn't very successful. I can post the values I have come to closest, but would love to hear from somenoe who has found / knows the right RGB values.

Thanks.
Roman
Old 17th August 2001, 12:06   #17
netsharc

You can probably choose the colors while wearing the glasses, and pick a left eye color so that it looks black in your right eye, and a right eye color that it looks black in your left eye. (Close your other eye while doing it). But don't choose black though. And if you see red light through a red lens, I think it becomes white, so just find the "whitest" red for a red lens. Wait that's impossible isn't it, everything is red through a red lens... well the red would look just like white, white being the color in the lower right corner of Windows' color selection grid

What a great implementation of technology we have.. I wonder where I can find a pair of glasses myself.
Old 17th August 2001, 12:15   #18
TheHacker

Wait, so should I look for a color that looks black or that looks white?
The lenses (rather foils) are - left is bright green, right is dark red, maybe a bit of purple.

TIA
Roman
Old 17th August 2001, 12:46   #19
netsharc

You should look for a color that matches the lens.., so, bright green for the left lens, and red for the right lens. The best is if you find a green that is black when you see it through the red lens, that means if the image is green (it's an image for the left eye), you won't be able to see it using your right eye. Of course it has to be like that the other way around.

I think I'm confusing you further.
Old 17th August 2001, 12:56   #20
TheHacker

Shouldn't it actually be the other way around? The green lines getting filtered by the green lens and the red ones by the red lens? So that when looking through the red lens I should only see the green color (the red would get filtered) and vice-versa?

Roman
Old 17th August 2001, 13:28   #21
netsharc

Quote:
Originally posted by TheHacker
Shouldn't it actually be the other way around? The green lines getting filtered by the green lens and the red ones by the red lens? So that when looking through the red lens I should only see the green color (the red would get filtered) and vice-versa?

Roman
Well, no. A photography teacher once said to me, a red filter removes all colors except red, that's why when you look at the filter, it looks red. Well try putting the glasses on and see what colors "disappear", i.e. become black..
Old 17th August 2001, 13:40   #22
TheHacker

So, to sum up, basically I should look for a green that is black when seen through red and a red that is black when seen through green?

Roman
Old 5th February 2002, 11:14   #23
Illusion

Just thought I'd bring this thread up again after it had been dead for ages....

I just recently got some 3D glasses (had to purchase some dodgy CD which came with them), but man it looks awesome.... although my vision is all blurry afterwards
Old 5th February 2002, 12:54   #24
Krash
Major Dude

Illusion, what are you doing resurrecting old threads? Geez...

- Krash

Eighty-three percent of all statistical quotes are made up on the spot.
Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2002, 00:06   #25
Illusion

Krash, didn't think it would be such a big deal - just thought it might be worth bringing up for the sake of people who weren't aware of it yet... sorry...
Old 6th February 2002, 12:19   #26
Krash
Major Dude

Sorry Illusion. It wasn't meant to be taken seriously. I should have included a whole bunch of these:

- Krash

Eighty-three percent of all statistical quotes are made up on the spot.
Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2002, 11:48   #27
Illusion

Oh, that's OK then. It's just hard when you can't hear somebody say it, make sure you be like Rova and add lots of or when you are joking so we can be sure...

BTW Krash, obviously Rova drilled you too well with his comment a few days ago for you to come up with a reply yet?
Old 7th February 2002, 17:58   #28
Rovastar

Send a message via AIM to Rovastar
Quote:
Originally posted by dark illusion

BTW Krash, obviously Rova drilled you too well with his comment a few days ago for you to come up with a reply yet?
The silence is deafening.

"Rules are for the guidance of wisemen and the obedience of fools"

Visuals - Morphyre www.Morphyre.com
Rovastar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2004, 18:41   #29
catflab

Damnit, I just bought 3d glasses from edimensional.com .. I believe they are the type that utilize polarisation.

Let me get this straight: It is impossible to use these types of glasses w/ milkdrop? Will it *always* be impossible?

Please tell me there is hope in the future!

[EDIT] On that note, *are* there any that work with these types of glasses?
catflab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2004, 18:33   #30
mark
Forum King

adjust the colors to 2 different grey shades. it should work a bit...
mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2004, 16:46   #31
Entropy42

Quote:
Originally posted by spookytay
Yes, I just found out that there was a 3D directory. Does anyone know if the 3D glasses will work if you are color blind? I'll have to find some glasses and find out.
In theory they should still work if you're colorblind.

In fact, it may even work better, since what is important is not the colors (which can be distracting), but which image is seen by which eye. Colors just happen to be the easiest way to make each eye see different images without funky polarization tricks or shuttering.
Entropy42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2004, 13:17   #32
mark
Forum King

i found another way. just close one eye
Old 19th April 2004, 23:31   #33
Xochitl

Yes, I love the 3d presets - in fact, they are my favorites over all. Washboard and Starfish 2 are my favorites.

Are there any more 3d presets available? I just have the ones that came with milkdrop 1.04b (breathing, convex, cosmic dust, crater, cupcake, luz, monotome ripples, oozing mass, quasilinear, serpentine, shockwaves, spirals, spirals 2, starfish 2, 2pointed pulsagon, vortex, warp of dali bright, washboard). If there are any others, please point me to them

thanks - love your work
Xochitl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2004, 06:57   #34
mark
Forum King

hit f9 and try it on regular presets
Old 31st May 2008, 00:34   #35
SirEduardo

So, with all these people liking the stereo 3D, why on earth did it get ditched? Years ago I noticed the stereo 3D option, but I never had a set of glasses. Today I stumbled across a pair at work and said "hey, now I can check out MilkDrop in 3D!" Much to my dismay, I came home and discovered that this feature has been dropped from MilkDrop 2. What gives? Is there any hope of seeing this option reinstated?
SirEduardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2008, 04:57   #36
spookytay

wow, what an old thread and it's been a little over 7 years down to the day of my first post. I'm not sure about the settings, but I still have those same pair of 3D glasses.
Old 24th June 2008, 03:06   #37
Saint Goody

Huh...

It may be possible to recreate with pixel shaders...

I am the purple heathen.
Saint Goody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2008, 02:59   #38
Karakawe

That's such an awesome feature for a visualization.
In other words, I tripped. Hard.
Karakawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Visualizations > MilkDrop