Old 10th April 2011, 08:58   #1
DDR_

Screwed -something- up. Help me?

Hello.
So, with the latest update to winamp, milkdrop disappeared from my visualizations menu. I figured this was perhaps an effect of never updating it, since I installed milkdrop *once*, several years ago. However, it being years ago, I can't quite remember what I did exactly when installing stuff. I thought I was using the basic Milkdrop 1.04 installation, from the winamp website, but it seems I'm not. I've found and 'reinstalled' my favorite presets from http://www.geisswerks.com/, but most of Martin's stuff doesn't work. (I wanted to see 'the Forge of Isengard'.) I'm using 5.61, WindowsXP, and some ATI HD card which is now a few years old.

"Some presets are just black, or don't exhibit movement." I've had a search around the forums, but nothing seems relevant to my situation. The graphics card would seem to be OK, since it worked before. Oh, and the backspace key doesn't move back a preset anymore.

Did I screw up copying my textures over? I feel like I'm using an old version, but... I just downloaded it fresh from the site.

Thank you.
DDR_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2011, 07:39   #2
LlamaLlamaLamp

I'm guessing the problems are related to the shader version your ATI card supports.

Do the presets that used to work still work? Is it only the newer stuff that isn't working?
LlamaLlamaLamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2011, 07:30   #3
DDR_

For example, 'Sunset over the River' use to work for me, but now I only see little random pixels. This might be because it was updated, or it might not. I can't find the original presets pack to test, though. I was sure I had them around here somewhere.
Old 12th April 2011, 19:42   #4
Nitorami
Major Dude

You'll find all of my presets in my "Complete Collection" thread, and there are some newer ones than forge of Isengard... I cannot see however why you shoud download the old ones again. They should not have changed on your disk !?!

What do you mean by "milkdrop disappeared from my visualizations menu" ? That sounds most odd.
If you have access to the milkdrop config menu, check the pixel shader model and set it to automatic decection, or to the highest possible value even if it tells you not to touch the value. Maybe the autodetection does not work correctly and detects shader 1 only ? Most of my work actually requires Shader 2 minimum.
Nitorami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2011, 23:44   #5
DDR_

Quote:
You'll find all of my presets in my "Complete Collection" thread, and there are some newer ones than forge of Isengard... I cannot see however why you shoud download the old ones again. They should not have changed on your disk !?!
Thanks! I did a clean reinstall of Winamp when it didn't work, instead of just upgrading.

Quote:
What do you mean by "milkdrop disappeared from my visualizations menu" ? That sounds most odd.
However, before I did that, I'd just installed a new version of winamp on my old installation, just like I usually do. However, this time, when I went to start Milkdrop, it was not available in the 'Select Plugin' in the left-click visualisations menu.

Quote:
If you have access to the milkdrop config menu, check the pixel shader model and set it to automatic decection, or to the highest possible value even if it tells you not to touch the value.
I'm having some difficulty finding the settings. I selected the 'Configure plug-in' option from the visualisations menu, and I'm looking at a pane with 'DESKTOP MODE settings', followed by 'FULLSCREEN settings', 'WINDOWED settings', and a bunch of small settings after that. Where should I be?

Thanks, Nitorami.
Old 20th April 2011, 16:01   #6
Nitorami
Major Dude

Well if I go under Visualisation, I select Milkdrop v2.2, then under "Configure / more settings" I can set the pixel shaders. It confuses me that you seem to see a different menu, which however would be logical if you don't see milkdrop at all.

When you re-installed winamp, did you tick the box "install visualisations" ?
Are you sure the file vis_milk2.dll is installed under \winamp\plugins\ ?
Old 29th June 2011, 07:56   #7
amplitudedude

This seems to be a problem associated with old ATI drivers and a winamp shading error.
affiliate marketing for beginners
Basically the older ATI drivers didn't pass shading correctly. Try uninstalling/reinstalling your graphics drivers and see if this rectifies the problem!

Last edited by amplitudedude; 29th June 2011 at 08:04. Reason: typo
amplitudedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2011, 00:49   #8
DDR_

Hmmh, missed the penultimate notification email. It's been how long?
So, I updated my graphics card's driver, and it actually did fix most of the problems. However, I think the real problem is that I seem to have been using Milkdrop 1.2.

So, where do I download version 2.2 from?
Old 30th June 2011, 16:50   #9
Nitorami
Major Dude

I guess the easiest way is to install the current vesion of winamp...
Old 1st July 2011, 06:55   #10
DDR_

Right, I've got version 5.61 of Winamp, which I think is the latest version... Ok, so Milkdrop is... embedded in Winamp?
Well, there, it works perfectly. No clue how I missed that. Thanks, Nitorami.

Damn I'm glad to have this back!
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Visualizations > MilkDrop

Tags
5.61, backspace, black, milkdrop