Old 23rd January 2003, 06:28   #1
Eon_Blue

Anyone know much about Multimon?

okay, ive got a Geforce4 TI4400, 1.67mhz processor, 512mb ram. I've currently got a monitor and a TV hooked up to the video card. I was wondering if there was a way to constantly have a Winamp visualization running on the TV at all times... no matter what i have going on on the first monitor. is there some way i can set up more than one desktop to where the desktop on monitor 2 is running winamp with a vis going?

the only way i can think of, is to hook the tv up to a second computer, but I cant do that... so i was looking for a way to do this on the same computer.
Eon_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2003, 13:14   #2
Krash
Major Dude

It's not possible with only one video card (AFAIK - might be possible with one of those new matrox cards with 3 outputs).
It's possible if you buy a second card (would have to be PCI), and do it that way.

- Krash

Eighty-three percent of all statistical quotes are made up on the spot.
Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2003, 22:59   #3
Eon_Blue

hmm

but my card does have 3 outputs... its got a VGA for monitors, then its got dvi and s-video outputs also. ive got my monitor hooked up through the VGA connector, and the tv in the s-video connector.

Would it be possible for a future release of milkdrop to have an option that asks which monitor to output the vis on? Simply for someone who has multiple monitors, so they can chose either monitor 1, 2, or both?
Eon_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2003, 12:21   #4
Krash
Major Dude

no no no, you don't understand.

The three outputs on your card (vga, s-video, and dvi) are all outputting the same signal - you can only one run monitor from it. You can run a tv and a monitor at the same time (depending on drivers), but they will be displaying the same thing.

The card from matrox (parhelia, I think is the name) has 3 VGA outputs, each of which can output a different image. As far as the computer is concerned, it's the same as having three separate cards. You can therefore have milkdrop on one screen, and other things on another.

If you buy a second video card, you can do the sort of thing you're asking (I've done it)
Make the PCI video card the primary display, and make milkdrop output to the secondary display (your GeForce of whatever flavour). You can then go ahead and do other things on the primary monitor (I do this for parties, and have winamp controls, the playlist, and a lyrics displayer running on a monitor, while milkdrop outputs to a TV). You can do things like browsing, but I wouldn't reccomend trying to play games - apart from using the inferior video card, you're dividing your computer's available resources, and you wouldn't get good performance on either milkdrop or your game.

- Krash

Old 2nd February 2003, 00:07   #5
marcn_de

Quote:
you can only one run monitor from it.
Wrong, most modern graphics-cards CAN run more than one monitor/tv. Mine can.

Quote:
Would it be possible for a future release of milkdrop to have an option that asks which monitor to output the vis on?
It has (at least in V1.03) ! It should be in the Milkdrop Config Panel -> Monitor

On my GeForce4 MX 440 I have to choose \\ \Display1\U1...
marcn_de is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2003, 00:38   #6
karmagun

Trust me, please:
(I have a dual monitor setup with one video card. Display 1 is my main vga 17", Display 2 is S-video to a TV. They don't output the same image. The desktop is extended across the two monitors.)

The only vis that works properly in a dual monitor setup is milkdrop.

Once you have Milkdrop installed, select it and configure it to run full screen on your \\Display2.

That's it. Now you have a full screen vis on the tv while your main monitor is free for other apps. Other visualizations will only allow you to do this if you select your TV as your primary monitor.

GL
karmagun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2003, 21:05   #7
Funkatron

I have a similar problem with my ATI Radeon 8500LE. I only get the option for \\Display 1 which is my VGA monitor BUT there should be a \\Display 2 option also yet its not there. The TV-Out is enabled so I dont know why it doesnt show up in the monitor menu in Milkdrop.
Funkatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2003, 09:52   #8
karmagun

Is your desktop extended on the TV out display, or is it just a replica of what goes on on monitor 1?
If it displays a different image I'm afraid I don't have the answer then, I can only guess it's a milkdrop thang. Otherwise, make sure that display properties are set correctly (i.e. extend desktop on monitor 2)
Old 10th March 2003, 01:28   #9
Funkatron

Success! I extended the desktop to monitor 2 and DISPLAY2 was listed in MilkDrop. Is there anyway to access the playlist when MilkDrop or can you only use the command buttons (Stop, Play, Pause) during multimon? I can only use those buttons on my monitor when the pluhin runs. I read that Milkdrop cant do that during multimon but I'm not sure
Funkatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2003, 13:55   #10
karmagun

Try right clicking on the Winamp icon in the taskbar on display 1. Lots of commands available from the menu there.

Be aware that (on my machine at least) Milkdrop is very temperamental about messing about with playlists, preferences, etc. while it's running. For example, I can't close the preferences window or Milkdrop will shut down.

Laterz...
Old 12th March 2003, 06:26   #11
Krash
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by Funkatron
Success! I extended the desktop to monitor 2 and DISPLAY2 was listed in MilkDrop. Is there anyway to access the playlist when MilkDrop or can you only use the command buttons (Stop, Play, Pause) during multimon? I can only use those buttons on my monitor when the pluhin runs. I read that Milkdrop cant do that during multimon but I'm not sure
Being able to use the standard winamp controls while Milkdrop is running CAN be done, but it's tricky, and takes a bit of work.

Download some low-latency input and output plugins for linein support.
Start a copy of winamp, and set up your playlist and whatever as you like. Set this copy of winamp to output to either a wave device or to the linein signal. What you do here will depend on the plugins you've got.
Turn on multiple instances for winamp, and start ANOTHER copy of winamp. Have this copy listen to the output generated by the first copy (using a lowlatency linein plugin or something). Set milkdrop to run on this copy, in fullscreen on your second monitor, and with VJ mode on.
Arrange all the different windows how you want, and start milkdrop.
You can now control all the functions from the first copy of winamp - the only downside being that the title of the song (and tracklength, etc) won't show up in milkdrop.

If you set everything up nicely, tweak the caching of the plugins, that sort of thing, you can get it to the point where milkdrop appears synced to the music, despite the signal being run through multiple processes.

- Krash

Old 8th April 2003, 13:59   #12
smittydc

Interesting idea Krash -- I'll have to give that a try.

I've been using winamp3 -- under which the controls work fine when running dual monitor.

But I really like the new media library in winamp2.9, so I would like to have the same functionality there. Any advice on which plug-ins and cache settings to use to minimize synchronization lag?
smittydc is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Visualizations > MilkDrop