Old 30th October 2003, 02:51   #1
sydol

Milkdrop - The best thing about Winamp.

I've never posted to this forum before, but coming here i see that milkdrop, which is by far my favourite vj tool, is not getting the recognition it deserves.

Frankly I dont really know too much of history, or why it seems development has halted, but I would really just like to point out that it is the main thing keeping me with winamp. This is a fantastic, flexible tool that generates some of the most beautiful images i have ever seen.

Every player now has cool looking skins.
Plays many different formats.

Some even support the plugins.

But none look so amazing and winamp5 with milkdrop attached.

I think this should be a top priority for nullsoft.

Get this worked on full time, now, this is what is seperating you from everyone else

Thanks.

Elliot

p.s. Does anyone agree? Am i missing out on a better program?

Last edited by sydol; 30th October 2003 at 03:08.
sydol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2003, 11:33   #2
mark
Forum King

nullsoft dont make it. theyre just kind enough to supply a mini forum for it. ryan geiss makes it in his free time.
mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2003, 01:25   #3
sydol

Quote:
Originally posted by Nobby Nobbs
nullsoft dont make it. theyre just kind enough to supply a mini forum for it. ryan geiss makes it in his free time.
I thought nullsoft hired Mr Geiss? I understand this is his baby, i am suggesting they work on it full time (get him to work on it full time!).
Old 31st October 2003, 19:34   #4
Rovastar

Send a message via AIM to Rovastar
Ignore nobby. Ryan made the MilkDrop engine when empolyed by Nullsoft (who make Winamp) but he is not employyed by Nulllsoft anymore.

Hence for those that can read the copyright Nullsoftin the config box.

"Rules are for the guidance of wisemen and the obedience of fools"

Visuals - Morphyre www.Morphyre.com
Rovastar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2003, 12:46   #5
mark
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by Rovastar
he is not employed by Nullsoft anymore.
hence, he makes it in his free time. He DOES work on it, but not much. I'm right, and youre being picky.
Old 6th November 2003, 17:38   #6
papaw00dy

Send a message via ICQ to papaw00dy Send a message via AIM to papaw00dy Send a message via Yahoo to papaw00dy
I agree with you that milkdrop is awesome and it should be continued to be developed. But the chance of that happening is pretty slim. Ryan Geiss was layed off by AOL/Nullsoft and since he created it while working for them, they own it. Also I've heard some rumors that nullsoft is working on a new AVS that might be what everyone is dreaming of, but I don't have any facts about that.

That being said, to me what makes Milkdrop awesome is the concept of it and all the presets that have been made by tons of dedicated preset authors, not so much the plugin itself. Other people are developing plugins that support milkdrop presets and are coming along pretty nicely. Check out X-plugin and Twisted Pixel. When I first checked out X-plugin I was totally amazed. It will run multiple milkdrop windows at the same time along with speakers, lights and other stuff. Twisted Pixel is similar to Milkdrop, but it uses scripting languages such as VBScript or Javascript instead of the Milkdrop syntax, which to me seems like it will open the door to doing all kinds of things with a Milkdrop like plugin in the future.

Both of these are being made by people for free on the their own time, and if you want them to continue you should offer the authors help and encouragement.
papaw00dy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2003, 23:55   #7
sydol

papaw00dy, i hope you aren't right about nullsoft not working on it anymore.... though sadly i think you are probably correct.

Perhaps this new avs will be good, though i have always been pretty disappointed by it, there is not the fluid feel that milkdrop has.

Thankyou very much for the names of those other plugins, i will be having a look at those. I disagree that it is just the presets, there is a huge avs preset scene and though creative, just doesnt pull off the same quality.

Milkdrop seems to be the only (free?) quality plugin that looks amazing, is customizable enough (not only in presets but displaying text and graphics) and is easy to use.

I think AOL/Nullsoft is making a bad decision here, work on avs sure, but i know just from my experience with friends at parties that milkdrop always gets a better reaction than any fancy avs preset.

I doubt there is much more we can do, apart from trying to get it opensourced... but i doubt they would like that much.

Oh well, im still going to use and enjoy it, perhaps one of these replacements will step up and become as good or better.
Old 8th November 2003, 00:07   #8
papaw00dy

Send a message via ICQ to papaw00dy Send a message via AIM to papaw00dy Send a message via Yahoo to papaw00dy
From what I've heard the new AVS is based on Geiss's VIS SDK, which might help it step up performance. In my opinion AVS is much better than milkdrop as far as capabilites and authoring. The thing that makes Milkdrop better is performance, and since I'm still stuck with a sub par PC, that makes all the difference to me. But there are not many things you can do in Milkdrop that you can't do with AVS using dynamic movements and stuff, and there are tons of things you can do in AVS that you can't do with Milkdrop. Some of my favorites would be working with video files and live video capture. But 10 fps even at low res vs. 60 fps at 4 times the resolution, makes everything look a lot better in Milkdrop.

I'll just keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best.
papaw00dy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2003, 07:18   #9
crazy_vag

Fake Full Screen mode should be the default. It's fast to switch in and out, doesn't resize windows...
crazy_vag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2003, 11:11   #10
mark
Forum King

AFAIK, geiss is still allowed to work on milkdrop, but won't get paid.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Visualizations > MilkDrop