Old 25th November 2003, 03:09   #1
djhighlander

wasabi player

I just wanted to make one last post on the wa3 forums before it's gone for good.

i hope wasabi player will live on and make us proud one day.
Old 25th November 2003, 03:40   #2
Reaper
Forum King

They won't be gone completely; it'll be archived. There will also be Wasabi forums, where Wasabi Player would undoubtely get some mentioning.

ml_iPod - [Homepage] | [Forums] | [Wiki]
Old 25th November 2003, 23:53   #3
Plague
f(caffeine){
return wasabi;
}
(Forum King)

yea, Brennan said once that instead of creating a Wasabi Player forum, stuff related to it should be posted in the Wasabi dev forum..
This was mostly to avoid confusion again among new people, who could perhaps think that Wasabi Player is supposed to replace Winamp 5.
Sounds good to me..

-Plague
Old 26th November 2003, 00:01   #4
djhighlander

Wasabi dev forum

Where is the "Wasabi dev forum" located?
Old 26th November 2003, 00:10   #5
Plague
f(caffeine){
return wasabi;
}
(Forum King)

it's not..
I'm not sure if they will create a new forum for it or if they'll rename the winamp3 dev forum to wasabi dev.

-Plague
Old 26th November 2003, 00:10   #6
Rellik
Major Dude

it will be likely happen when Winamp 5 is released.

The main website will be redesigned and the forums will get a makeover then.
Old 26th November 2003, 00:45   #7
Plague
f(caffeine){
return wasabi;
}
(Forum King)

I guess that means they're gonna rename the Wa3 dev forum..

-Plague
Old 26th November 2003, 01:13   #8
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

Send a message via AIM to Nunzio390 Send a message via Yahoo to Nunzio390
Quote:
it will be likely happen when Winamp 5 is released.

The main website will be redesigned and the forums will get a makeover then.
Correct. There is no sense in making any forums changes as long as the main page at Winamp.com still offers Winamp3 for download. When the new Winamp.com site revamp is in place and Winamp 5.0 is "officially" offered as the main download on that page, the forums lineup will change also.

And, as Sawg just indicated with his link above, the Winamp3 Development forum will have its name changed to Wasabi Development, and Wasabi development and discussion will continue there (Winamp3 may be dead but Wasabi of course is not). Also, take note of the fact that the original Winamp3 Development: Read This First Sticky thread in that forum is already named to "Wasabi Development: Read This First".

Now, we have NOT totally decided yet so do NOT quote me but I'll give you a rough idea. Look for "something" like this with the forums (keep in mind that Winamp includes Winamp 5.0 also)...

Tech Support Greatest Hits

Winamp

Winamp Tech Support
Winamp Discussion
Winamp Wishlist
Winamp Bug Reports

Shoutcast = same

Community Center = same (may still need some discussion among the mods though)

Skinning & Design

Skinning Tips and Tricks
Classic Skins (formerly known as Winamp 2 skins)
Modern Skins (formerly known as Winamp3 skins)
Art & Design
Skin and Plug-in Rip Reporting for Removal

Developer Center

Winamp Development
Wasabi Development (formerly Winamp3 development, as Sawg indicated above)
NSIS Discussion

Visualizations = same

All Winamp3 forums (including this one) will be locked and hidden from immediate public view, but perhaps linked to for read-only purposes (archive legacy support).

Don't email or PM me concerning Winamp. Instead, either start a NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY in the appropriate thread in these forums. This will also benefit others who may have a similar question or problem. But before posting, please first Search the forums and read all FAQs and all Sticky threads.

ORB Remote Broadcast

[ Automated Jukebox | Nunzio's Home | Wacky Videos | Solve the Prunella Puzzle! ]
[ LINE RIDER! | My Resume | Virtual Chess | Composite Sketch | My Niece's Band ]
[ Plugins by Joonas | DrO's Winamp Plugins and Extras | K-Jöfol ]
Old 26th November 2003, 03:26   #9
kiilu
Major Dude

so it will still be developed?? if so, good.. then wa3 might be the best player one day....

if wa3 was developed for another 2 years...do you think there will be wa5?? i doubt it...
Old 26th November 2003, 04:23   #10
WHEREamI
Major Dude

what about the "modern" skins that might be made for Wasabi Player? I know that their supposed to be compatible, but WA5 modern skins won't skin the Thinger, for example. maybe there should be a sub-forum somewhere for that? Either under the Modern Skins forum or under the Wasabi Development forum, i think. Not sure which would be more sensible.

~WHEREamI
Old 26th November 2003, 04:49   #11
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Yup, the Thinger from Winamp3 Default skin appears/works ok in Winamp 5.0
The Thinger is also built-in to other skins, eg. MMD3 in the main window.
Old 26th November 2003, 06:14   #12
WHEREamI
Major Dude

ic... so really the skins should be totally compatible. I noticed that with MMD3 as well. But how would plugins get their icon in the thinger? or will only PLE, ML, Vid, and AVS ever go in there?

Still seems to me that some skins could be 'made for' WP and others for WA5. (ie., they would be technically compatible, but not necessarily asthetically compatible. eg., why would you want a thinger in WA5? but you pretty much have to have one in WP) But if they still work with the other... hrm... i guess skinners who make 'made for WP' skins could still publish them as modern skins, since they would work with WA5? What i'm saying is that WP skinners might be be discouraged from making skins for WP because of the lack of a place to put them. I offered the sub-forum suggestion as such a place. I just think that while maybe we shouldn't encourage skinners to skin specifically for WP, we also shouldn't DIScourage them.

But this point may be entirely void, depending on how compatible the skin systems really are, and how compatible they will be kept as each product evolves. Are there any other differences between WA5 skins and WP skins, other than the choice to not put a thinger in a WA5 skin?

~WHEREamI
Old 26th November 2003, 11:11   #13
WHEREamI
Major Dude

well, i did say SUB forum.... (nit-picky)

But, ok, i understand that.

(nice new custom title, btw... when'd you add that? or did i just never notice?)
Old 26th November 2003, 16:05   #14
Plague
f(caffeine){
return wasabi;
}
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by WHEREamI
Are there any other differences between WA5 skins and WP skins, other than the choice to not put a thinger in a WA5 skin?
yes there are, for the time beeing atleast..
Wa5 introduced alot of new xml stuff, among other things button actions for video and playlist editor.
I've implemented those actions for video, but not yet for the pledit (someday they will be there tho).
Also, the Modern skin in Wa5 has the ability to dock video and vis plugins to the main window. I have no idea how this thing will behave in WP.
It seems like they're using the AVS guid for that in the Modern skin, so if we're lucky it will work just fine in WP but only with AVS, no other vis component (yet anyway, it would require someone to make some kind of container which could hold any vis component, or something).
There are also button actions for the vis plugins, which will not work in WP (yet anyway).
I'm also not sure how well the menu's will work in WP, they might be Wa5 specific (the content that is, it depends how they're made).
Then there are new display="" thingies for text objects, (like display="songname" for example), so far I've found PE_Info and VID_Info(=songinfo in WP, it's the exact same thing except it ONLY shows vid info, never any song info, songinfo shows both) for this which doesn't work in WP yet.

etc etc etc etc...

So you see, there are quite alot of catching up to do.

Then on top of that we have the possible future problem of not making WP skins incompatible with Wa5, vice versa is already done as you can see (grr).
Although I don't think that'll actually happen.

-Plague
Old 27th November 2003, 01:44   #15
pherik

Send a message via ICQ to pherik Send a message via AIM to pherik
A quick question...

The fact that Brennan will continue to develop Wasabi after Winamp3 is officially dead, to me, says something. Obviously AOL would have not allocated any resources whatsoever to the continuation of Wasabi if they thought it was not a good investment.

I remember when Winamp3 was getting all the flames and criticism. The general opinion was that it was a great concept, but was released way too early, in terms of both computing power of the users and maturity of the code (both wasabi and wa3). I think we may still see Wasabi emerge from the background in a year or two as an incredibly flexible and mature development platform. After all, it was always a great concept, IMO, just not ready yet.

I guess what I want to ask, is, does anyone see a mature, feature-rich, optimized Wasabi making a come back in the next year or two? The fact development continues make me wonder if someone convinced the decision makers at AOL it still has potential. I think there will come a time when even the Winamp 5 architecture with it's increased API over 2.x will become way too restrictive. By then Wasabi will be sat there just itching to be the answer to the problem =) I think someone convinced the execs at AOL that Wasabi still has a place in the future of Nullsoft. After all, AOL aren't going to spare one of it's people just because Brennan says it's cool :P

Anyone else's opinions would be great. I'm not sure if I explained it all as I wanted to, it's quite difficult.

-dan
Old 27th November 2003, 04:09   #16
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

No-one said anything about wasabi being dead.
Winamp3 was the first wasabi application.
Wasabi development has never stopped.
Wasabi drives freeform skin support in Winamp 5
Old 27th November 2003, 12:55   #17
pherik

DJ Egg: yeah i know all that. I must have come across wrong. My bad.

No-one said anything about wasabi being dead.
- Neither did I

Winamp3 was the first wasabi application.
- I know, I have played about with the SDK myself.

Wasabi development has never stopped.
- I didn't say that.

Wasabi drives freeform skin support in Winamp 5
- Yes in the form of the gen_ff plugin, which is a subset of Wasabi.

Does anyone else get what I mean?
Old 27th November 2003, 14:41   #18
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Quote:
Originally posted by pherik
DJ Egg: yeah i know all that. I must have come across wrong. My bad....Does anyone else get what I mean?
Yeah, you must've come across all wrong (to me, at least),
because I still don't quite get what you mean

Sorry

The Winamp3 product name is dead.
Wasabi Player is well & truly alive.
It's all being kept a closely guarded secret at the mo, lol.
afaik, (someone correct me if I'm wrong), Wasabi Player isn't (officially/currently) endorsed by aol/nullsoft (Wasabi itself is, of course)... but maybe someone like Brennan or Russ can reveal more? I'm still waiting for Russ's further announcement(s) as referenced in his posts here.

/me sneaks back to Winamp 5 forums
Old 27th November 2003, 23:26   #19
pherik

I was under the impression Wasabi Player is now used just as a test/demo application for the wasabi platform.

ok, best way to explain what I was getting at I think is to ask the question "What exactly are they keeping Wasabi going for?", because to me it seemed there must be some sort of business related reason (not necessarily money) behind them still allocating resources to it (especially after AOL cut many staff from Nullsoft a while back).

My guess was that the possible reason for the continuation of Wasabi was because someone convinced the decision makers at AOL that there was still potential for Wasabi in the long term when it matured. I think they might be thinking that now Winamp 5 has taken the pressure off of wasabi development they're keeping it going to sort of wait and see. After all, most people thought it was a good idea, but released way too early. The average PC wasn't ready for it and neither was the code itself. Obviously, if this was the case it would not be public knowledge that this was considered, so I was looking for other peoples speculations/opinions on what I thought might be going on.

Maybe I should have asked this instead:

"I guess what I want to ask, is, does anyone see a mature, feature-rich, optimized Wasabi based player making a come back in the next year or two (or whenever)?"

The rest of my post was really just explaining why I thought that might be a possibility.

Hope it makes a little more sense Dj Egg =) If not, i give up :P
Old 27th November 2003, 23:31   #20
pherik

I see what you mean about Russ' comments in that thread, maybe my question will actually become irrelevant too. Sounds like he's hinting at the fact we'll eventually find out where all these loose ends are headed, to me.

-dan
Old 27th November 2003, 23:37   #21
Plague
f(caffeine){
return wasabi;
}
(Forum King)

Wasabi Player isn't a test/demo application for the Wasabi platform, Winamp3 more or less was that initially..
Now I believe Wasabi Player is a work-in-progress media player, meant to be a media player, not a test application..

I don't believe it's meant to either replace or compete with Winamp 5, it's just another product.

Maybe in the long run, it will find it's way back as the No# 1 player at Nullsoft, but that remeains to be seen and at the moment it doesn't look like it..

However, I do think Wasabi Player will continue to be developed, regardless what happens with Winamp.
One possibility is that Wasabi Player will become like Mozilla, a fully open-source standalone project. Who knows?

I believe one reason Wasabi Player is allowed to continue is because Wasabi is still beeing developed and is used in Winamp 5, and since Brennan is the main developer of Wasabi, they allowed him to continue working on Wasabi Player, since that's his job anyways..

But theese are only speculations, I honestly don't know for sure and I really don't care that much either.
As long as Wasabi Player is alive and kicking, I'm happy..

-Plague
Old 28th November 2003, 18:56   #22
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

Send a message via AIM to Nunzio390 Send a message via Yahoo to Nunzio390
Quote:
One possibility is that Wasabi Player will become like Mozilla, a fully open-source standalone project. Who knows?
Quote from Russ...
Quote:
Originally posted by Russ
Well, first thing's first, since day one over 50% of the player has been open-source, in the form of the Wasabi SDK. In addition, we've managed to get a lot more released since the official release. Wasabi player is now about 90% open-source, with the closed-source parts being those which are part of Winamp 5 (and so actively maintained) anyway.
Old 28th November 2003, 20:26   #23
Plague
f(caffeine){
return wasabi;
}
(Forum King)

yea I know, but there are a few things left to be opened..
If they never will be, they'll have to be re-written in order for Wasabi Player to be truly and fully open source.. Which is what I meant..

-Plague
Old 28th November 2003, 20:36   #24
Russ
Mostly Harmless
(Alumni)

Looks like other people are doing most of my talking for me here ...

Obviously Nullsoft can't open-source stuff like the MP3 decoder and other licensed stuff. But we're working on getting as much other stuff as we can open-sourced.

For long you live and high you fly, but only if you ride the tide, and balanced on the biggest wave you race towards an early grave.
|Musicbrainz|Audioscrobbler|last.fm|
Old 28th November 2003, 20:41   #25
Plague
f(caffeine){
return wasabi;
}
(Forum King)

MP3 decoders and stuff like that can be replaced with open-source alternatives.

But yea, I've seen the amount of stuff that has been open-sourced the last few months, and it's alot.

-Plague
Old 29th November 2003, 14:15   #26
kiilu
Major Dude

no more new build for wasabi player... i think it's a great idea to consider open-source...

why don't we beg aol to have a special new team to work on winamp3... make it like a competition with wa5... (it's a stupid idea)
Old 29th November 2003, 15:20   #27
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Quote:
Originally posted by kiilu
(it's a stupid idea)
lol
Old 1st December 2003, 03:13   #28
kiilu
Major Dude

i'm flattered...
Old 7th December 2003, 02:32   #29
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Wasabi.Player News
Old 15th December 2003, 08:35   #30
auhsor

Ok, I just want to post in the wa3 forums before they are archived... And there we go...

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp3 > Winamp3 Discussion