Old 7th April 2005, 08:58   #1
omaudio

Send a message via ICQ to omaudio
Display tag info in playlist

I have searched and read posts about playlist disply but found no answer. I simply want the playlist to show my IDv1 or IDv3 info- I spent many hours tagging everything properly (thank goodness for this: http://www.mp3tag.de/en/)

Anyway- I'd like all the artist names, albums, etc to show in the playlist. I usually refresh my library, clear the playlist, and then drag all of my songs into the playlist. This is great for shuffle play but all the artists get mixed up and I can't see what record or soundtrack i am currently listening to unless I use the "Now Playing" option in Media Library or if I "view file info"

I have tried Title: read metadata and use advance both turned on and off and also tried "use library title info for playlist" both on and off.

Thanks,
Om

Win2K Pro latest
Winamp 5.08c
omaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2005, 15:27   #2
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

If you used an external tag editor, then you will probably need to remove all items from the library first, then re-import them. Though there is one known workaround.

As far as Winamp settings are concerned...

To read ID3v1 and/or ID3v2 tags

Prefs > Titles
Checkmark: Read metadata when files are LOADED

Use Advanced Title Formatting = checkmarked

Adjust the ATF string accordingly, eg.

[%artist% - ][%album% - ][$num(%tracknumber%,2) - ]$if2(%title%,$filepart(%filename%))

That will display: "Artist - Album - Track# - Title" if the tags are present, otherwise it will just show the filename.

Prefs > Media Library > Library Options tab > Modify Settings button
Check/uncheck "use library title info for playlist item formatting"

With it checked, Winamp will display whatever info is stored in the library database. If the item is not in the library database, then it will guess, depending on the following settings...

With it unchecked, then Winamp will do one of the following:
1) Use the ATF string only
2) If ATF is disabled, then use whatever title formatting is specified in the relevant Input plugin config (eg. Prefs > Plugins > Input > in_mp3.dll > config > Title/Tags tab).
3) Guess, depending on the following setting:

Prefs > Media Library > Watch Folders tab > Configure button:

Read media information on import if available (needs to be checkmarked for the media library to be able to import tag information into the library database).

Use the following detection logic when All/Any media info is missing

With "All" selected, then the below options only apply if there are no tags.
With "Any" selected, then the below options apply if any of Artist, Album, Title, etc tags are missing.

Smart/Simple = guess the metadata
No guessing = displays filename only if tags are missing.

If all of your MP3s are properly tagged, then you should select "All" and "No guessing".
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2005, 20:49   #3
omaudio

Wow, thanks SO MUCH for your time and detailed reply!! I adjusted the settings and am re loading my library now. I'll post my results.

Om
Old 8th April 2005, 05:30   #4
omaudio

YAY!! I followed your suggestions and in the end it was the ATF string that needed tweaking. Boy is that part confusing- thank goodness Winamp tells you if there is a syntax error etc. in the string. I am so happy to have everything in order and showing artist, album, and song title!!

Thanks again for your help- quite generous in all thay typing you did!

Now if Winamp would handle playlists like iTunes- I love being able to drag files to a playlist then burn it for my car mp3 player. If it did that and allowed burning data discs I'd buy the full version in a heartbeat.

Om
Old 8th April 2005, 05:33   #5
billyvnilly
Forum King, M.D.

Send a message via ICQ to billyvnilly Send a message via AIM to billyvnilly
not that its the ultimate fix, but its a great plugin. short of having mp3 burn support

gen_yar, in my sig below. will copy playlist files to new location, easy to use a secondary burner from that point on. also can add ### to beginning according to how they are sorted in playlist...if you wanted to arranged your mp3s on your data disk.

and if you ever need help with ATF strings we are always available for the challenge.
billyvnilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support