Old 19th July 2008, 22:32   #1
Lucifersam

Best DSP plug in

Hi everybody. I Just bought a new hometheater, a pretty nice one, but the problem is that I can set the sound in any way I like, no setting looks right to me. The question is, what plug-in do you recommend me? any other suggestion?
Thanx a lot!!
Lucifersam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2008, 03:42   #2
ScorLibran
Resident Floydian

I always use no DSP effects with speaker output, as they invariably tend to "muddy" the sound quality. With stereo output I do an otherwise flat response, with, at most, light hardware equalization.

With digital output modes (Dolby Digital, DTS, etc.), I'm even more adamant about not using artificial digital signal processing. Let each channel be processed by the decoder and delivered by your receiver's output stage, and then if a particular channel needs a bit of tone balancing, apply some equalization just to that channel (if possible, based on your receiver's capabilities).

Use the simplest hardware settings first to try to "make it sound right". For instance, if you don't hear enough bass, then turn up the subwoofer volume accordingly.

I'd recommend avoiding ALL software DSPs (including Winamp DSP plugins), and even all hardware DSP modes outside of automatic format decoding. Use only as little hardware equalization as you can get away with (and preferably none), and channel level adjustments and balancing (also at the hardware level) as required.

I'm a psychosomatic sister running around without a leash.
ScorLibran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2008, 09:10   #3
J_Darnley
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to J_Darnley
As I posted somewhere else not too long ago:
Quote:
Originally posted by J_Darnley
I use the brilliant DSP called (none). It provides original sounding audio with zero configuration. It is brilliant!
And there is another pro, it requires zero CPU time.

Winamp ATF ReferenceMy cPro timer widgetMy port of AVS
Do NOT email me with general tech support questions.
J_Darnley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2008, 00:01   #4
Nico1980

Re: Best DSP plug in

Quote:
Originally posted by Lucifersam
Hi everybody. I Just bought a new hometheater, a pretty nice one, but the problem is that I can set the sound in any way I like, no setting looks right to me. The question is, what plug-in do you recommend me? any other suggestion?
Thanx a lot!!
Im not agree with people that says that its better not to use a DSP plugin.
Because if someone was trying to hear music with as "natural", using a PC and maybe MP3 (or most formats) will not be a good choice.

So, accepting that listening to music in a computer means that the file looses quality and that its all about make-up, its possible to enhace the experience with a good DSP.

DFX Audio Enhacer, AudioBurst & Jammix could be good choices.
Nico1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2008, 01:03   #5
ScorLibran
Resident Floydian

It's easy for the vast majority of people to achieve perceptual transparency with very reasonable lossy encoder bitrates (between 128kbps and 192kbps). And there are some PC speaker sets that, when coupled to a top-end sound card such as those available from Echo Audio or Terratec, can quite well rival the sound quality of typical home theaters sound systems.

The only times I've seen a real need for digital signal processors intended to "tweak" the sound quality has been in cases of poor quality speakers or other equipment, when the DSP effect(s) can be used as a "crutch".

I'm a psychosomatic sister running around without a leash.
ScorLibran is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions