Old 1st September 2009, 09:34   #1
irenedakota

Connecting to uPnP server

How do I connect winamp to my home uPnP server (Running Fuppes)?
irenedakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2009, 09:51   #2
Paul_Bags
Major Dude

1. Ask the Fuppes community
2. Explain what Fuppes is. Also ask the Fuppes community to explain what Fuppes is, their website DOESN'T ACTUALLY EXPLAIN IT.

Thank you.
Paul_Bags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2009, 09:54   #3
irenedakota

Fuppes is just a generic uPnP server (Pretty much first line on their website: FUPPES is a free, multiplatform UPnP A/V Media Server.)

I really just want to know how can I connect Winamp to a generic UPnP Media server (Regardless which one it is).
Old 1st September 2009, 09:55   #4
Sawg
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to Sawg Send a message via AIM to Sawg Send a message via Yahoo to Sawg
Winamp has no uPnP support.

| Brought to you by ^V ^C | The one... the original... no seriously!
Sawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2009, 09:57   #5
irenedakota

Quote:
Originally posted by Sawg
Winamp has no uPnP support.
That's silly

Any ETA on when it will? Or is there some plugin that I can use? I'd rather not switch to Windows Media Player.
Old 2nd September 2009, 04:47   #6
Paul_Bags
Major Dude

uPnP is just port forwarding automatically negotiated between machines, so what the hell is a uPnP server and why does it have anything to do with media and why, if it is a media server, do you need winamp with it at all? And why if the release is 3 years old are there no screenshots to help explain what it actually is or does, since that description doesn't even make sense, and why even when I download and install it is there STILL no useful information on how to use it or what it's even supposed to actually do.

No, I don't think it's been adequately explained. I think you ask them on their forums, oh wait like everything else including a basic explanation everything on their site is broken.
Paul_Bags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2009, 06:50   #7
irenedakota

I'm using FreeNAS on a pc thats been converted to a NAS. The plan is to have all my media on said NAS and stream it to the rest of the house.

Fruppes is the uPnP service that FreeNAS uses.

Perhaps I should have said that it is a uPnP AV MediaServer (Which is technically what it is). WMP 12 can both act as a uPnP AV MediaServer and a uPnP AV MediaRenderer (Which is the unit that plays back the media).

As soon as I open WMP it picks up the uPnP AV server and allows me to play music from it.

Regardless, I managed to get the same service running by making use of DAAP (The Firefly media server) and a winamp plugin I found.
Old 2nd September 2009, 13:04   #8
Rocker
Hiding in plain sight (mod)

i enabled samba on freenas, mapped the nas as a drive and then i added it to winamp's media library db. works fine.
Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2009, 14:37   #9
irenedakota

Quote:
Originally posted by Rocker
i enabled samba on freenas, mapped the nas as a drive and then i added it to winamp's media library db. works fine.
The problem with that setup is that if I add new music I need to do a media library rescan on all 6 computers in the house, whilst if I make use of uPnP AV or DAAP I only need to initiate the rescan on the server.

Anyways, I've switched over to Songbird. It does what I want pretty much out of the box.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support