Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Developer Center > NSIS Discussion

Old 18th May 2015, 19:06   #1
Michael18

Question Examples Please: How To Update Group Policy

Hello,

This is my first post to the group. NSIS will be one of my main assigned duties at work.

I've always been a good programmer in many different computer languages for many years. So, I have a fairly good grasp of the NSIS User Manual.

I'm at the stage now where I would like NSIS examples on how to do common things not well documented on the Internet!

(Yes, I have searched the Internet but have been unable to solve my current problem which is probably trivial to everyone here.)

Question: I know that commands such as "WriteRegStr" and "ReadRegStr" can be used with the Windows Registery. My question is how can I do a similar things with Group Policy.

I have inherited my company's NSIS script. We want to automate Group Policy updates of strings. (Currently, for other Group Policy Updates, the script uses "gpupdate /force".)

Thank you,
Newbe

Last edited by Michael18; 18th May 2015 at 19:47. Reason: Remove Smiley
Michael18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2015, 19:10   #2
Anders

It is really unclear to me what you actually want to do. If you want to write to the registry on the local machine, use WriteRegStr. If you want to push settings out to all machines on a domain, why are you not just using the tools Microsoft provides for managing domains?

IntOp $PostCount $PostCount + 1
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2015, 19:28   #3
Michael18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
It is really unclear to me what you actually want to do. If you want to write to the registry on the local machine, use WriteRegStr. If you want to push settings out to all machines on a domain, why are you not just using the tools Microsoft provides for managing domains?
Thanks for replying so quickly!

I apologize. I do not want to write to the registry. I guess I am still unfamiliar with the topic! I certainly messed up my first question to the group.

Let me try again!

Currently, my employer has a libray file that has a NSIS header script to update Group Policy for our computers. (I don't know if if we've ever used it.) This script simply copies files and then uses 'ExecWait "gpupdate /force"'. Again, I don't know if it works at all.

Anyway, the way I understand it my first task is to develop a NSIS script to be able to automate Group Policy updates. We find going to every computer and doing "gpedit.msc" isn't easy for us.

What should I do?

Do you have several simple but complete examples of how to change "Group Policy" with NSIS. What kind of things can I do. What kind of things can't I do. What cautions should I be aware of and take.

Do you have a good .nsi header file that does many of the things I would need to do to "Group Policy". It has to be well documented. Do you also have any complete examples of how to use it.

Thank you,
Old 18th May 2015, 21:55   #4
Anders

I a domain environment you would set the policy on the domain controller with the tools Microsoft provide and they will be pushed out to the clients.

Most of the changes you make with the local policy editor just ends up as changes in the registry. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down....aspx?id=25250 lists most of the registry keys used IIRC or you could use Process Monitor to see which changes gpedit.msc makes to a system...

Example:
Quote:
RequestExecutionLevel admin
OutFile setpol.exe
Section
WriteRegDword HKLM "SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Attachments" "ScanWithAntiVirus" 3
ExecWait '"gpupdate" /force'
SectionEnd
This is not necessary the right way to do things, in a domain environment you should use ActiveDirectory etc.

Old 19th May 2015, 10:08   #5
Michael18

Quote:
I a domain environment you would set the policy on the domain controller with the tools Microsoft provide and they will be pushed out to the clients.

Most of the changes you make with the local policy editor just ends up as changes in the registry. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down....aspx?id=25250 lists most of the registry keys used IIRC or you could use Process Monitor to see which changes gpedit.msc makes to a system...

Example:

Quote:
RequestExecutionLevel admin
OutFile setpol.exe
Section
WriteRegDword HKLM "SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Attachments" "ScanWithAntiVirus" 3
ExecWait '"gpupdate" /force'
SectionEnd
This is not necessary the right way to do things, in a domain environment you should use ActiveDirectory etc.
Are you saying that I can make a lot of Group Policy changes by just updating the Windows Registry. What can you tell me to help me do this at work since this is what I probably will be forced to do. Can you elaborate as much as you can on this topic. Basically, can you steer me in the right direction and help get me started.

What kind of direct changes can I make to the Group Policy with NSIS? What are my limitations and why. Any examples would be appreciated.

Could you elaborate on the material that I should be studying in order to accomplish any assigned Group Policy task.

Do you have any specific Internet sites and/or book titles that will enlighten me. What should I be looking for in the descriptions of these sites and books.

In addition, I don't know anything about Active Directory, but am willing to learn. (Please forgive me if I state anything wrong as I learn how to use it.) In my situation, are you in favor of me doing everthing with Active Directory instead of NSIS? Again, do you have any references for me, either Internet or book topics.

In the context of my work and my experience, what is a "domain environment."

Basically, how do I become successful.

Thank you,

Last edited by Michael18; 19th May 2015 at 12:36.
Old 19th May 2015, 15:04   #6
Michael18

Quote:
you could use Process Monitor to see which changes gpedit.msc makes to a system
Can you elaborate on this. When I last used perfmon.exe, it offerred me information on about 10s if not a 100 variables over time.

I also think that "Group Policy" touches on many things not clearly visible with perfmon.exe. I.E.: perfom may not always be useful.

Thank you,
Old 19th May 2015, 15:08   #7
Michael18

Again using NSIS, what are all the things I can do within Windows "Group Policy."
Old 19th May 2015, 16:30   #8
aerDNA

A quick search reveals that one commonly employed method is to set up GP on one machine and then simply copy the contents of System32\GroupPolicy over to other machines. This is GP 'cloning' rather than updating and I don't know if it's suitable for your purposes. Just something to consider, and it takes a very simple script.

Edit: If you're doing this make sure you include target OS check (WinVer.nsh) because it's not a good idea to blindly extract files. If there are different OSes across your target machines, you'll need different sets of files (again, not a difficult thing to script).

PostEnd:

Last edited by aerDNA; 19th May 2015 at 18:03.
aerDNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2015, 21:38   #9
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael18 View Post
Can you elaborate on this. When I last used perfmon.exe, it offerred me information on about 10s if not a 100 variables over time.

I also think that "Group Policy" touches on many things not clearly visible with perfmon.exe. I.E.: perfom may not always be useful.
Why are you talking about perfmon? Download Process Monitor, start procmon.exe and set it to only display registry operations. Optionally set a filter: include path contains "policy" and then use gpedit.

Old 19th May 2015, 21:41   #10
Anders

This forum is not the right place to learn about active directory. You should ask your IT staff if they have a domain controller and if the users machines are joined to this domain. If they are then use the tools Microsoft provides...

Old 19th May 2015, 22:20   #11
Michael18

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerDNA View Post
If you're doing this make sure you include target OS check (WinVer.nsh) because it's not a good idea to blindly extract files. If there are different OSes across your target machines, you'll need different sets of files (again, not a difficult thing to script).
What operating systems are covered by WinVer.h, and what does the following link mean by obsolete. Is there something else besides WinVer.h?

http://nsis.sourceforge.net/Get_Windows_version

Thank you,
Old 19th May 2015, 23:27   #12
aerDNA

Just use NSIS 3.0b1, it supports Win versions up to 8.1/2012R2 out of the box. WinVer.nsh contains usage documentation and examples. Also, to write to System32 on x64 you need ${DisableX64FSRedirection} (x64.nsh). And don't forget RequestExecutionLevel Admin.

PostEnd:
Old 20th May 2015, 12:01   #13
Michael18

Quote:
Just use NSIS 3.0b1, it supports Win versions up to 8.1/2012R2 out of the box. WinVer.nsh contains usage documentation and examples. Also, to write to System32 on x64 you need ${DisableX64FSRedirection} (x64.nsh). And don't forget RequestExecutionLevel Admin.
Is the following the correct way to use "DisableX64FSRedirection":

Quote:
Function .onInit

${If} ${RunningX64}
${DisableX64FSRedirection}
;...
${EnableX64FSRedirection}
${EndIf}

FunctionEnd
Where can I get a copy of the correct "WinVer.nsh". Or, are they all the same.

Eg: nsis.sourceforge.net/Include/WinVer.nsh

Thank you,

Last edited by Michael18; 20th May 2015 at 13:25.
Old 20th May 2015, 14:04   #14
Michael18

Are there different ways to run "gpupdate". Why is that.

----------------------- From Below Reference -----------------------------------------
1. Exec: Plainly execute the called string, be it some application, console or file.

2. ExecWait: Executes like Exec but waits till the process exits.

5. nsExec::ExecToLog: The documentation says ExecToLog is similar to plain nsExec but it outputs to log window. What does that mean, what is a log window?

7. ExecDos: Same as nsExec::ExecToStack but it additionally (Is it not?)

a. takes string parameter that serves as stdin for running application.

b. works in both sync/async mode.

c. it works out of section - for .onInit check outs.

Reference:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1...og-vs-nsexecex

Thank you,
Old 24th May 2015, 13:33   #15
Michael18

Quote:
A quick search reveals that one commonly employed method is to set up GP on one machine and then simply copy the contents of System32\GroupPolicy over to other machines.
What are the steps to copy the contents of System32\GroupPolicy from one computer over to another computer.

I know that I can use a CD to help accomplish this! My idea is that the CD would hold the contents of System32\GroupPolicy on one computer. I would then use NSIS to copy the CD contents to a second computer.

But, my question is. Is there a better way to do the copy. In other words does NSIS have an instruction to help automate this procedure.

Do you have any suggestions.

Thank you,
Old 24th May 2015, 17:06   #16
aerDNA

No need for CD, files can be packed inside the installer. Include/extract files with File instruction.

PostEnd:
Old 25th May 2015, 18:50   #17
Michael18

Quote:
No need for CD, files can be packed inside the installer. Include/extract files with File instruction.
Great, so now I need a way to distinguish one computer from all the remaining computers.

(I want to use only one installer.)

What I mean is I would manually update group policy on one machine ,and I would not run "gpupdate /force" on that machine. I would run "gpupdate /force" on all the other machines to obtain new Group Policies.

Question: With an "if" statement, how do I distinguish the machine where I do Group Policy manually from all the other machines?

Thank you,
Old 25th May 2015, 20:47   #18
aerDNA

Have you familiarized yourself with the way File instruction works? You should be compiling the installer on the 'source' machine (or anywhere as long as you provide the files) and running it on target machines. No need to distinguish between anything.

code:
SetOutPath $SYSDIR\GroupPolicy # dir to extract files to (target machine, runtime)
File /r "C:\WINDOWS\System32\GroupPolicy\*.*" # dir to pack files from (source machine, compile time); extracted to above location at runtime

PostEnd:
Old 31st May 2015, 15:40   #19
Michael18

Quote:
Have you familiarized yourself with the way File instruction works? You should be compiling the installer on the 'source' machine (or anywhere as long as you provide the files) and running it on target machines. No need to distinguish between anything.

code:
SetOutPath $SYSDIR\GroupPolicy # dir to extract files to (target machine, runtime)
File /r "C:\WINDOWS\System32\GroupPolicy\*.*" # dir to pack files from (source machine, compile time); extracted to above location at runtime

I have what I know is a stupid question that I have got to ask because I'm confused! Basically, I don't know how to run the "file" command on two computers using the same installer.

Some minor details:

First, my NSIS compiler lives on a computer (call it S1 for this discussion) that has Group Policy values which are not associated with what I want to do with the launcher that I create on S1.

Second, I can put the NSIS compiler on another computer (call it S2) which has the baseline Group Policy settings that I want to distribute to a hundred other computers.

Embarrassed,
Thank you,
Old 31st May 2015, 16:25   #20
aerDNA

What do you mean by same installer? If you're looking to update all machines simultaneously with one instance, this is not the way to do it. For the method we're discussing, compiled exe needs to be executed on each machine. I figured you understood that since you had that CD idea.
"hundred other computers"... you better make perfectly sure you're doing this the right way, otherwise it may end up costing you your job.

PostEnd:
Old 31st May 2015, 17:36   #21
Michael18

Quote:
What do you mean by same installer? If you're looking to update all machines simultaneously with one instance, this is not the way to do it. For the method we're discussing, compiled exe needs to be executed on each machine. I figured you understood that since you had that CD idea.
"hundred other computers"... you better make perfectly sure you're doing this the right way, otherwise it may end up costing you your job.
Yes, after compiling the NSIS script and putting it on a CD, I will take it to each computer and run the script there.

So, I'm still confused about the details on how to use the NSIS "file" command to store the "Group Policy" files with the installer, and then how to use the "file" command to use the stored "Group Policy" files.

How many scripts will I have to compile. Is it: 1 to store the "Group Policy" files via the "file" command, and a 2nd one to use the "file" command to unpack the stored "Group Policy" files. I was thinking that if I had a way to distinguish specific computers in the script then I could easily use two versions of the file command.

Maybe, I should be asking for the detailed steps that I should follow.

I'm perfectly willing to forget the "file" command and just use one compiled NSIS script to copy the desired "Group Policy" files (which can be saved to a CD) to each of the 100 computers that I'm working with.

I got lost when you suggested that I use the "file" command.

One option to use only 1 script, would be to manually put the number 0 in a file on the CD (call the file flag), and having the script read the file and do one thing (pack up the Group Policy files into the installer) when it sees the 0 and write 1 to that same file, but if the script reads the file and sees a 1 it could unpack the "Group Policy" files from the installer.

Anyway, can you explain via baby steps (in detail) of how to use the "file" command on two computers and the number of NSIS scripts involved.

Currently, my only viable option is to copy the Group Policy files to a CD and copy them to each computer.

Thank you,

Last edited by Michael18; 31st May 2015 at 20:05.
Old 31st May 2015, 21:58   #22
aerDNA

You only need a single script, compiled once. Sure you can use CopyFiles instead of File but there's no reason for it; it doesn't make things simpler and there's no upside to it. I see what's confusing you but I think you would easily understand how File works if you actually tried compiling some code and observing how it behaves. It seems like you're fixated on theoreticizing without experimentation. I can't explain much better than I already have; I gave you sample code above with comments. File /r "somedir\*.*" packs the contents of somedir when compiling and extracts it to location designated by SetOutPath when running; both is achieved with the same File command.
Your code should look something like this, assuming you have a mix of OSes and there's a GP dir with appropriate subdirs/files in script dir on the compile system:

PHP Code:
${If} ${RunningX64}
${
DisableX64FSRedirection}
${EndIf}

SetOutPath $SYSDIR\GroupPolicy

# probably a wise thing to do:
CreateDirectory $OUTDIR\BAK
CopyFiles 
/SILENT $OUTDIR\Adm $OUTDIR\BAK
CopyFiles 
/SILENT $OUTDIR\Machine $OUTDIR\BAK
CopyFiles 
/SILENT $OUTDIR\User $OUTDIR\BAK
CopyFiles 
/SILENT $OUTDIR\gpt.ini $OUTDIR\BAK

${If} ${IsWin8.1}
   ${If} ${
RunningX64}

File /"GP\8.1 64\*.*"

${Else}

File /"GP\8.1 32\*.*"

${EndIf}

${ElseIf} ${
IsWin8}
   ${If} ${
RunningX64}

File /"GP\8 64\*.*"

${Else}

File /"GP\8 32\*.*"

${EndIf}

etc.

${EndIf} 

PostEnd:
Old 1st June 2015, 22:22   #23
Michael18

Quote:
You only need a single script, compiled once. Sure you can use CopyFiles instead of File but there's no reason for it; it doesn't make things simpler and there's no upside to it. I see what's confusing you but I think you would easily understand how File works if you actually tried compiling some code and observing how it behaves. It seems like you're fixated on theoreticizing without experimentation. I can't explain much better than I already have; I gave you sample code above with comments. File /r "somedir\*.*" packs the contents of somedir when compiling and extracts it to location designated by SetOutPath when running; both is achieved with the same File command.
Your code should look something like this, assuming you have a mix of OSes and there's a GP dir with appropriate subdirs/files in script dir on the compile system:

PHP Code:
${If} ${RunningX64}
${
DisableX64FSRedirection}
${EndIf}

SetOutPath $SYSDIR\GroupPolicy

# probably a wise thing to do:
CreateDirectory $OUTDIR\BAK
CopyFiles 
/SILENT $OUTDIR\Adm $OUTDIR\BAK
CopyFiles 
/SILENT $OUTDIR\Machine $OUTDIR\BAK
CopyFiles 
/SILENT $OUTDIR\User $OUTDIR\BAK
CopyFiles 
/SILENT $OUTDIR\gpt.ini $OUTDIR\BAK

${If} ${IsWin8.1}
   ${If} ${
RunningX64}

File /"GP\8.1 64\*.*"

${Else}

File /"GP\8.1 32\*.*"

${EndIf}

${ElseIf} ${
IsWin8}
   ${If} ${
RunningX64}

File /"GP\8 64\*.*"

${Else}

File /"GP\8 32\*.*"

${EndIf}

etc.

${EndIf} 
I'm just trying to clarify things, so here goes!

After I do all the above, (I'm pretending your paths are totally correct and required [are they?]) I can take my compiled script (the installer) to each of my 100 computers and insert it in each CD drive.

Questions: In the script that I compile, my assumption is that I can just do a direct file copy from the locations above to the correct locations of each of the 100 computers. Is nothing else required. Can you give me the code to do that copy etc. or is the code exactly as you've published it above. Are there any changes to the code?

Thank you,
Old 3rd June 2015, 07:06   #24
JasonFriday13
Major Dude

I've been watching this thread a bit, so I'll clarify how File works.

When the script is being compiled, the File command specifies the file you want to include in your installer, so 'File D:\somefile.txt' will include that file in the installer.

When the installer is being executed, the File command turns into the file you want to extract to the directory set by SetOutPath.

So, you set the output directory with SetOutPath, then you use the File command to include/extract a file to that directory (these are the files you include on the CD you have been talking about).
Quote:
; set the output directory
SetOutPath "C:\outputdir"
; include/extract this file to the current output directory
File "C:\source\somefile.txt"
; this results in somefile.txt being installed in C:\outputdir (the full path is C:\outputdir\somefile.txt).
This File command is the main reason for nsis existing in the first place. Without the File command, nsis becomes more of a script executor instead of an installer.

I'm curious now, so question: why are you using CD's for this method? Don't you have a shared folder on the network that every machine has access to? (this is where I would put the installer). I haven't used a CD in years, it's either a flash drive or a shared folder over a network for me. Forgive me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like the technology being used is stuck in the early to mid 2000's.

Like aerDNA said, I hope your sure that this is the process you have to take. I haven't worked in an IT environment yet (I'm still studying for my degree), and even I can see that there's a better way to do it, like Anders said it's better to use network tools provided by Microsoft for managing group policies. For example, the policy for my computer login at the college is controlled by a server, which means it doesn't matter which computer I login to, the policies take effect on whatever computer I choose. Most of the computers are installed with the same image of windows, and every year they rebuild that windows image and reinstall windows on most of those computers.

"Only a MouseHelmet will save you from a MouseTrap" -Jason Ross (Me)
NSIS 3 POSIX Ninja
Wiki Profile
JasonFriday13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2015, 13:51   #25
aerDNA

It should be fairly easy to understand how File works, but with less talk and more scripting. I get the feeling OP doesn't try anything, like he's hoping to figure everything out in advance before writing any code.

As for GP, maybe the machines are not part of a domain, otherwise I guess it would be admin's job to take care of this and they wouldn't ask OP to write a script? The copy method does seem 'dirty' but from what I've seen after some googling, it really seems to be used a lot and I even remember a TechNet page with MS staff instructing people how to do it, without disclaimers or warnings, so I guess it's not considered a bad practice.

PostEnd:
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Developer Center > NSIS Discussion

Tags
gpedit.msc, gpupdate, group policy