Old 26th January 2006, 17:00   #1
|3enjam

Location: Salt Lake City > UT > USA > Earth > Solar System > Orion Arm > Milky Way
Props and requests for presets

Ok, first I have to give props to whoever made the Glowstick presets (I think it was Eo.S. but don't freak out if it isn't, you still get my props).

Only a raver could appreciate just how much those rock.

One thing I would like to see (and I tried to do it, but failed miserably) is to take one of the more simplistic glowstick presets and add some tracers. Have another two or three dimmer glowsticks follow the first through the same path.

Im sure it would be quite difficult, but badass if possible.

And further props to all the people who have presets released with milkdrop, I'm seeing some seriously phat shit lately. (Lately because I haven't visited the forums in a while, and the presets are probably older than 'lately')

Anyway, keep up the good work.
|3enjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2006, 04:56   #2
redi jedi
Will code for food

first off, it was eos that originaly made the glowsticks, i know i've done quite a few remixes, and i think quite a few others have as well, actualy what your preposing wouldnt be so hard, i'll give it a shot sometime soon.

oh and if you havent done so yet check out the beta version i've been working on, you can find it in the milkdrop development form, it allows some really cool presets

Blah!
redi jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2006, 05:52   #3
Phat
Major Dude

Yes, Eo.S. did the custom waveform code for that.
Here's alot of the remixes.
Attached Files
File Type: zip eo.s. + phat glowsticks 1.zip (88.5 KB, 996 views)
Phat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2006, 05:53   #4
Phat
Major Dude

Attached Files
File Type: zip eo.s. + phat glowsticks 2.zip (81.3 KB, 980 views)
Old 27th January 2006, 05:59   #5
Phat
Major Dude

Attached Files
File Type: zip eo.s. + phat glowsticks 3.zip (28.8 KB, 963 views)
Old 27th January 2006, 23:12   #6
|3enjam

Location: Salt Lake City > UT > USA > Earth > Solar System > Orion Arm > Milky Way
Quote:
Originally posted by redi jedi
actualy what your preposing wouldnt be so hard

well, i must suck then =)
Old 28th January 2006, 02:46   #7
redi jedi
Will code for food

sorry i didnt mean it that way..
try this...
export one of the waves and then import it into another blank one. now there will be 2 waves on top of eachother. go into the per-point code and find the place where tm is set, think its the third line, should be one of the first few. then add a constant to that mabye like 1 or 2, play around with the value, this should put one glowstick ahead of or behind the other on the path, depending on the sign of the constant. then add something like 'a=a*.5;' to the END of the per-point code, to make it dimmer.

also, about that tm number i mentioned(i'm pretty sure thats what its called), the 'phs' var. is what makes the 'tail' so if you do *2 the trail will be longer.

see thats not so hard, ya just gotta play around with them really, if ya cant tell i love these waveforms, and have read there code many times...many times....humm good times.. anyway just hang in there, you'll get it!

Blah!
Old 28th January 2006, 05:44   #8
Phat
Major Dude

But, the learning curve is such that if you're first presets arn't all that good, you can still be writing BOMB stuff 3-4 months from now! Good luck.
Old 28th January 2006, 15:12   #9
redi jedi
Will code for food

thats very true! i sucked when i started, all my presets had there effects jacked up to high, i'd write long presets with code that didnt do anything, but now i'm starting to get pretty good. basicly just keep it up, ask questions if you need to, i have no problem talking about milkdrop
if theres something you dont understand just ask about it, mabye someone here will have an explaintation that you've never heard before, and it will make everything click.

oh, and if you can learn how to mess with the glowstick wave forms, then you can mess with almost anything!

Blah!
Old 31st January 2006, 15:21   #10
|3enjam

Ok, well, I created a little beta release. It looks good at a medium speed, but when the wave slows down or speeds up, it doesn't look as 'real'. I tried to play around with getting the tracer to alter its position based on the speed of the wave, but it didn't work quite right. I tried to take the difference of the speed one frame before and the speed now to average them out, and it kind of worked, but was still really jumpy. Then I tired to just propogate a value through to 30 frames, but that didn't work either. The value would only propagate one frame and then stop, like this:

code:
val2 = val1;
val1 = orig;
orig = speed;

when I would monitor orig, it would return an ever increasing value based on the volume of the sound (the same as speed (q1 in the actual wave) ), and when I would monitor val1, it would return a value as well, but when monitoring val2, it would return 0. any thoughts?

anyway, i got the original idea to work, but the 'realistic' version will definately have to be looked at by someone a little more talented than I am at the moment.

also, i couldn't get the second wave to decrease its alpha value, i turned opacity down to 0 with no effect, then searched the code for it, found the color bits, and turned the wave darker but it didn't have the same effect, it 'erased' the wave in front of it.
Old 1st February 2006, 04:55   #11
redi jedi
Will code for food

the zip doesnt seem to work....

as for your code, i dont know why that wouldnt return a value...
try something like this,

dq1=q1-lq1;//change between this frame and last one
lq1=q1;
tm=q1+whatever

then you can use dq1 as the "speed", rember tm isnt "speed" its position, the change in tm is "speed"

Blah!
Old 1st February 2006, 05:01   #12
Phat
Major Dude

It works fine for me, but I think the problem is that the message board doesn't like the ' ...

When you post Zips just remember to take the ' 's out of the zip title name.
Old 1st February 2006, 05:06   #13
redi jedi
Will code for food

ok i got it, it came named attachment, so i just added the .zip and it worked...

Blah!
Old 2nd February 2006, 00:04   #14
|3enjam

Quote:
Originally posted by redi jedi

try something like this,

dq1=q1-lq1;//change between this frame and last one
lq1=q1;
tm=q1+whatever
that's what i had originally tried, but it was too jerky and not smooth at all, actually took away from the effect and just looked like a jumble of color when the wave got going really good.

what i had tried was something like this:
q2 = avar;
avar = bvar;
bvar = cvar;
cvar = dvar;

xvar = zvar;
zvar = q1;

to propogate the value through quite a few frames, but the value always stops at the second iteration. ie zvar was okay, but xvar was 0.
Old 2nd February 2006, 02:12   #15
Eo.S.
Milkdrop Moderator

On the issue of the alpha, the alpha value is set in the code

a = 1 - sample;

if you want to change it just use either

a = (1-sample) * ?;

or

a = 1 - sample; a = a * ?;

As for the realism of movement at slower of speeds I am assuming you mean "realism" in comparison to someone actually doing glowsticks. The need to keep rotating around each other even when the larger movements slow down, played around with this some but haven't gotten it working right yet.
By "tracers" above I assume you mean more like real world tracers with the sort of 'echoes' within the length of the tracer, the "lsd tracers" versions in this zip file have exactly that effect.

Eo.S.
Attached Files
File Type: zip eo.s. - glowsticks v2 feb1-2006 updates.zip (38.6 KB, 1052 views)
Eo.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2006, 02:14   #16
Eo.S.
Milkdrop Moderator

OMG, I actually posted some of my own presets.... I don't remember the last time that happened as opposed to Phat posting them for me since i'm slack.
Eo.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2006, 02:27   #17
Phat
Major Dude

^^By the way the swim color and ghost remixes use beta functions. (The seperate RGB decays I belive is all)
Old 2nd February 2006, 15:36   #18
redi jedi
Will code for food

ok i found a really cool way to do it. i compleatly isolated the "q1" var for the second stick. in the per frame i did something like

tm2=tm2+(q1-tm2)*.1;
q1=tm2;

that makes it so when the original q1 moves tm2 fallows smoothly behind it, with a speed that depends on how far behind it is...
i added a few more things but thats the jist of it, i'll post some presets later today.

Blah!
Old 5th February 2006, 19:50   #19
redi jedi
Will code for food

ok heres 10 of 'em. the 'when glowsticks refuse to be held back' ones are the coolest, i added much music reaction to them... check them out!

Blah!
Old 5th February 2006, 19:52   #20
redi jedi
Will code for food

drugs are bad
Attached Files
File Type: rar sticktrails.rar (49.3 KB, 969 views)

Blah!
Old 5th February 2006, 20:40   #21
|3enjam

"only users lose drugs" --drug loser

"People say,'We are losing the War on Drugs!' Well you know what that implies? There's a war going on, and the people on drugs are winning it!" --Bill Hicks
Old 8th February 2006, 11:12   #22
StudioMusic
Major Dude

Redi, you need to fix your last batch of presets again. SM
StudioMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2006, 18:34   #23
yusky03

Send a message via AIM to yusky03 Send a message via Yahoo to yusky03
All Presets!?!?!

It would be nice to just have one download for ALL the 5,542 milkdrop presets insted of haveing to download 20 files then extracting them all. If someone could do this I would really aprishiate it.

WINAMP RULES!!!
yusky03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2006, 18:41   #24
redi jedi
Will code for food

thats mostly already done, go to my site milkdrop.us, on the presets page theres a zip with all the presets that where on my computer at the time(few months ago) so the newest beta presets wont be included, but theres a good 3 or 4 thousand in there

Blah!
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Visualizations > MilkDrop > MilkDrop Presets