Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support

Old 2nd June 2008, 20:04   #41
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

Don't like to be the bearer of bad news....

But the NEW dll actually CAUSES the 404 issue for me.

Vista Business 64-bit SP1

Winamp PRO 5.53 with original ml_wire.dll

This version does not ever give me any 404 errors when I add feeds. BUT after working fine for a month or two, it has now started to FORGET which RSS feeds it is supposed to be retrieving. So I keep having to add these in again. Never have a problem adding any of the podcasts I use (See list below)

Winamp PRO 5.53 with this "new" ml_wire.dll

This version seems to remember the podcasts when I add them. BUT now it GIVES me an 404 error when I add in the BBC RSS feeds. So I cannot actually add any BBC websites this way (though the Brain Damage one worked fine)

The moment I swap the dll back to the original 5.53 one - all is fine again and I can add the URLs without 404 errors.

(I found the dll on this forum post at the weekend, hoping it would fix my "forgetting the podcasts list" issue. Note also that this is a freshly built PC less that two months old. And I am an IT support engineer so the machine is ticking along well. Happy to test anything out. )

http://braindamage.libsyn.com/rss
http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/.../brand/rss.xml
http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/fivelive/ft/rss.xml
http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/...ermode/rss.xml

(Silly new user filters.... these are the feeds... if you correct that h-ttp to http
h-ttp://braindamage.libsyn.com/rss
h-ttp://downloads.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/radio2/brand/rss.xml
h-ttp://downloads.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/fivelive/ft/rss.xml
h-ttp://downloads.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/fivelive/kermode/rss.xml

(BTW - which ini file are these URLs stored in?)
Batter Pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2008, 21:36   #42
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Hmm, strange. All the feeds referenced in this thread used to 404/timeout for me on vista, but now they all work fine with the new dll - including yours.

The feeds are stored in %appdata%\winamp\plugins\ml\rss.xml (subscriptions) & feeds.xml (downloads)
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2008, 21:53   #43
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

Yes - DJ Egg - I agree that this is very strange.

I look into those two XML files - and find no references to the RSS feeds I have added.

Then brainwave - so I look into D:\ArtyFarty\Winamp\Plugins\ml\

I have multiple SCSI hard disks in this PC, so Winamp isn't in the standard "C:\Program Files" path. (Yeah - I am a weird tech...)

Sure enough - there are the rss.xml and feeds.xml with data in them.

(This could also be because I have "updated" an old XP folder. I installed Winamp to "D:\ArtyFarty\Winamp\". Registered. Then dragged the old XP folder to this Vista PC to maintain the media library.)

I guess this is part of my weird issues. My installing in "non-default" paths. This also explains why I can write to the "program" folder as I have it on a different drive away from any Vista Nannying of the Program Files folder. Just a theory...

At this moment, I have the "original 5.53" ml_wire.dll in place, and everything is behaving again. Which now gets me worried as this implies that version 5.4x may not work on my PC....

Feel free to fire questions \ debugging at me. I have been using Winamp since the 90's so am more than happy to feed back to the development.

Last edited by Batter Pudding; 2nd June 2008 at 23:41.
Old 2nd June 2008, 23:21   #44
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Yeah, that'd be weird if it fixes if for everyone who was experiencing the problem in 5.531, but breaks it for everyone who wasn't. I doubt it somehow, but we shall see...
Old 2nd June 2008, 23:53   #45
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

One thought springs to mind - how come my ini files and plugin directory are in the Winamp folder instead of in %appdata%? Could this be where I am seeing the differences?

I assume those config files are still in the old legacy locations because this is an old folder dragged over from XP.

The other odd thing is my installing in a folder not called c:\Program Files\ so less paranoid Vista security rules being enforced.

I'll wait for 5.54 and see what happens. I'll remember to report back
Old 19th June 2008, 03:39   #46
Dasha

Query to EGG re above

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ Egg
Mental!

Yup, I can also confirm that all the problem feeds work ok on Vista without the http at the front, eg.

Jumping Monkeys: leoville*****podcasts/jm.xml
Security Now: leoville*****podcasts/sn.xml
Munchcast: leoville*****podcasts/mc.xml
BBC R4: downloads.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/radio4/today/rss.xml
Podshow's Podfinder: podshow.com/feeds/podfinder.xml
What do you suggest for the same problem with WINDOWS XP Proff? I have also tried dropping off the "http" which means nothing to me but I still have the same problem" so its not just Vista thats causing this! I have had trouble with this from the day I downloaed Winamp and then all of a sudden when I posted the URL in the Subsciption box it worked and automatticly Requested but now it has stopped again!! any help please. Dasha:confused:
Dasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2008, 04:21   #47
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

And is this happening even after applying the patch?
Quote:
Good news :-)

This issue is now fixed for 5.54
(was 'url buffer' related, heh)

Here's the fix (should also work ok with 5.531)
http://stashbox.org/127230/ml_wire.dll

(save to the %ProgramFiles%\Winamp\Plugins dir)
Old 19th June 2008, 09:33   #48
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

FYI - I am back to the original ml_wire.dll from version 5.53. It is a little weird at times as it doesn't always update correctly - I have to sometimes nudge it.

An example odditiy... I found the Russell Brand feed had not updated.
So I tried refresh - no change.
I opened the settings, and copied the URL from Winamp into the paste buffer.
Deleted that RSS feed.
Then re-added it by pasteing the exact same URL back into the Winamp box... only to get the 404 error.

I then noticed that there seemed to be "extra characters" after the ".rss" as I could see a dot. Popped the cursor up there and deleted the dot and two or three "invisible" characters.

Then I tried again - and URL added. This time it worked perfect.

Soooo... checking into the Winamp feeds.xml I can see odd things...

<winamp:url>http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/radio2/brand/rss.xml�_�</winamp:url>
<winamp:url>http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/fivelive/kermode/rss.xml욈⪞긆</winamp:url>

What is that Korean (?) text, and where did it come from? I am pretty sure that I added these with a cut and paste of clean text.

I KNOW I just added that Russell Brand one in clean as I carefully deleted all the text at the end of the URL - including the last "s" in ".rss". I then reinstated that "s". So there should of been NOTHING left after that point.

So where did those extra characters come from?

Pixies in my PC again?
Old 20th June 2008, 21:00   #49
Dasha

Quote:
And is this happening even after applying the patch?
Hi Sorry I took so long to respond When you refer to the "Patch" do you mean http://stashbox.org/127230etc I am a Newbie EGG How do I "setup" the Patch in Winamp Plugins I opened Winamp%Plugin% and tried to Drag and drop from the Browser Page but it just came up as "Scrap" can you please tell me how to install the Patch? Thanks Dasha
Old 20th June 2008, 21:35   #50
J_Darnley
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to J_Darnley
Download that file and then copy it into the Plugins folder in the install folder, not the settings folder.

With a default installation it should end up as:
C:\Program Files\Winamp\Plugins\ml_wire.dll

Winamp ATF ReferenceMy cPro timer widgetMy port of AVS
Do NOT email me with general tech support questions.
J_Darnley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2008, 02:57   #51
Dasha

Quote:
Originally posted by J_Darnley
Download that file and then copy it into the Plugins folder in the install folder, not the settings folder.

With a default installation it should end up as:
C:\Program Files\Winamp\Plugins\ml_wire.dll
Thanks J Darnley I am sorry I took so long I have done as you suggested will let you know if it worked later Thanks Again Dasha
Old 30th July 2008, 20:57   #52
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

I am now using 5.54.... and as expected by the reports I made during testing of "ml_wire.dll" (see above) I am now loosing the list of podcasts at random times.

I opened up the subscribed list just now... and it is blank.

My only assumption is this is being caused by my non-standard install location.
Old 30th July 2008, 21:05   #53
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

My problem is caused by "feeds.xml" getting wiped. It is just an empty file with version details in it when it is broken.

So I have just dragged back in a copy from last week (a quick rename while Winamp is closed) and all is up and running again. It is currently (re-)downloading all the podcasts since that copy of feeds.xml was last used.
Old 15th November 2008, 13:01   #54
rick7

I just started using WinAmp for podcasting and I'm having the same problems as other folks have been reporting since a year ago. It DOESN'T seem to be fixed with Winamp 5.54 by itself, at least not without installing this ml_wire.dll which I'm hesitant to do without more information.

I went to stashbox.org and I see the file but without more of an explanation of who they are and what the DLL does I'm hesitant to grab it. I guess I'd be more confident if it were fixed within Winamp rather than requiring a new DLL. Anyone else?

** woops, sorry, I see I haven't read any posts since May... just ignore this ***
rick7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2008, 13:46   #55
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

On my setup, it seems to of settled down for now. Currently running 5.54 with the dll as shipped in that installer. And it seems to get the podcasts now.

The main problems are down to how the text is actually saved from the RSS feed. Sometimes extra characters seem to creep in. A bit weird.

In my case, I have gone and made copies of the inifiles that hold the feed details. When I get a problem, winamp seems to kill these files. So I fix it by swapping the original back in again.

IMHO - there seems to mainly be problems if I open and shut Winamp too quick. As there is no signal that a podcast is downloading - this mean it is possible to close Winamp mid-download. This could be when the corruption occurs. (There is no other pattern I can obviously spot).

Also - once the list is fixed\stable, it doesn't seem to cause any problems until I add a new RSS to check.

(I have explained my observations above. And there seems to be a bit of a "head in sand" attitude about this at Winamp. They don't want to know, and\or are too busy, so there seems to be no fix being looked into. As an ex-developer, I can understand this response.)

Generally - I am happy with it. And for a bit of software that seems almost abandoned since AOL bought it, it is still a darn fine product. (Abandoned may be a harsh word - but there is a very small team working on this excellent Audio Player now... which is a pity. So much better than iTunes)
Old 15th November 2008, 14:05   #56
rick7

Yeah, I never got around to installing ml_wire.dll and I've had success with subscribing to several feeds -- it seems you just have to try several times. Some I had to do without the 'www', some like the 'www.'... It almost seems to work better after you've switched to another app within windows and then switch back to Winamp...!

I'm comparing it to iTunes, so I'm interested that you say you like Winamp better. I mostly use podcasting to listen to radio programs which are often an hour long. I don't always finish listening in any one session and like to pause and come back the next day and finish listening. iTunes does this nicely -- it seems to save your last position in a program and come back to it, even after you've closed and re-opened iTunes. For me this is essential. Winamp doesn't seem to do this, even when the program is downloaded, and because of this it might not meet my needs. Any thoughts?
Old 15th November 2008, 14:20   #57
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

Experimenting with the name saved - yep. Sounds similar to what I am seeing. But in my case, it is about those extra characters saved on the ends of the URLs. Something odd with the text processing.

iTunes - okay, to be fair, I havn't used it for my own music much. I am too much of an "old skoool" winamp user. So used to the way Winamp does things.

I get to see and use iTunes on client PCs when I am fixing them. And I don't like it (and it seems very slow on some tasks). TOO much of a push towards the shop. but, to be fair to Apple, that is what the program is all about - driving people through the shop to buy tunes with their awkward DRM to stick on their iPods locked into a monopoly (rant over... hehe)...

IMHO - Winamp is a smaller, easier, quicker program to launch. iTunes can just clog up a PC. I guess it is more "idiot proof" as it does have Apple designers involved, but as a true techy geek I love Winamps simplicity and editiablilty. Especially the readable ini files.

IMHO - what I don't like about Winamp is this drive to make it like iTunes... I really don't want extra info from "online" about bands. So it is nice to see the "off" buttons in winamp to allow me to disable this stuff.

I like the way I can use a small skin and it sit in the corner of my screen. Disappearing into the background. Nice. It is a music player - it is not supposed to dominate my screen.

Playing back long podcasts - I also get lots of 80mins downloads (from floydpodcast.com) or BBC Radio Shows. I agree with your thoughts about "it would be nice to resume mid track"... but I am so used to guesstimating the point to continue from that I hadn't noticed.

(Errr - I think we may have gone slightly OT...).
Old 6th December 2008, 21:37   #58
rick7

I see that a new ML_WIRE.DLL was just uploaded today (Dec. 6) at http://stashbox.org/v/127230/ml_wire.dll. I downloaded it and copied it to my Winamp plugin directory and I'm happy to say I can now add Podcasts without a problem, even using the full http://... URL. I just entered two without a problem.
Old 6th December 2008, 21:44   #59
ctkatz8086

can you retype those urls please. teh forum software wiped them out. maybe put a space between the ht and the tp.

ctkatz8086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2008, 22:21   #60
rick7

Yeah -- it's the same URL that's been mentioned on this thread for several months; it's nothing new. I'll try a space between ht and tp:
ht tp://stashbox.org/v/127230/ml_wire.dll
Old 13th March 2009, 20:13   #61
MusicPhr3ak

Having the Same Issue... Vista 64 Bit..

Uninstalled Winamp upon problem.

Went to the directory deleted all left over plug-ins.

Dir is cleared.

Installed the Latest version of winamp 5.551 Mar 9 2009

This on attempt to add number 5 feed.

The actual feed is ok but it fails to add.

When I attempt to delete an existing feed

It does delete ok but still I can not add another.

Deleted all but one

closed win amp and reopened I was still not able to add another feed.

Deleted the last one.

Closed winamp and reopened.

I attempted the months ago DLL release and it still failed..

Strange issue.

My System..

Robert
MusicPhr3ak is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support