Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support

Old 12th August 2004, 07:02   #1
kessler

Send a message via AIM to kessler
Issues with listening to internet radio via winamp 5

This has been a reoccuring problem for some time now, and I finally decided to see if I can find a way to fix it.

Basically when I search the internet radio database within winamp 5 and click any link, nothing happens, no sound, the servers dont even show up in the playlist. I've reinstalled winamp several times with no avail, although when I download the pls file from the yp I can make it work with Real Player but not winamp.

Anyone have an idea on how to fix this issue? I am not behind any proxy or firewall.

Any input would be appreicated..

Thanks in Advance

Kes
kessler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2004, 07:13   #2
drewbar
Sawg 2.0
Major Dude

The SHOUTcast directory feed for the Winamp Media Library is currently... fucked. It's not a problem with your install. It should hopefully be fixed within a few days, hopefully.

Count with us!
Jan 1st, 12AM (PST, GMT -8) 2010 - 282,246
drewbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2004, 10:33   #3
delfincek

Is this the case also for me? I can listen some internet radio stations without any problem as usualy before. But some stations are listed on the list I click on them and nothing happened. No sound and no transfer and no failed connection, just a blank nothing happens, like I did not clicked.

For e.g. I see radio station CLUB 977 The 80's channel (which is the station with most listeners) I click on it and there is no sound, no failed connection, no transfer what so ever. This happens with app. 40% of other internet radio stations which are listed in Winamp.

Thanks for the confirmation or answer.

D.

Last edited by delfincek; 12th August 2004 at 11:52.
delfincek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2004, 20:20   #4
drewbar
Sawg 2.0
Major Dude

Yes. Try goting to http://www.shoutcast.com instead for the listing.

Quote:
Originally posted by drewbar
The SHOUTcast directory feed for the Winamp Media Library is currently... fucked. It's not a problem with your install. It should hopefully be fixed within a few days, hopefully.

Count with us!
Jan 1st, 12AM (PST, GMT -8) 2010 - 282,246
drewbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2004, 20:30   #5
kessler

Send a message via AIM to kessler
well the thing is...when I load a stations pls file into winamp it will not play either.
kessler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2004, 20:44   #6
JonnyMac

Yup, you are not to only one who is experiencing this issue/problem. If you know the home page of the station try the Listen link there.
Quote:
Originally posted by drewbar
JonnyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2004, 00:42   #7
snooker

Hi ... I have the same problem when i click a station ... Is there a fixes for it as of yet ???
snooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2004, 11:01   #8
l0b0

Some radio channels without links

I use the radio in 5.04, and have got a problem which seems to be getting worse every day: Some of the radio channels do not work, in the sense that when double-clicking on them, nothing shows up in the playlist. I have also tried activating them by pressing Enter, dragging into the playlist,and right-clicking and selecting "Play selection".

Winamp is set to refresh the radio list every hour, and I sometimes refresh it manually to see if the problem has been solved.

I don't recieve any error messages.

I have had Winamp 3 installed previously, and installed Winamp 5.03 on top. After reading the section on how bad this was, I uninstalled 5.03, removed the directory, and installed 5.04 in a different directory. Even so, the problem persisted.

The bug now applies to e.g. the "DIGITALLY - IMPORTED - Vocal trance - a fusion of trance, dance, and chilling vocals" and "Mantaradio - The Q! Hit Music Now!" channels. The "DIGITALLY - IMPORTED - Chillout - ambient psy chillout, check out our trippy flavors!" and "Republic of Korea Top Radio. MUKULCAST.COM * KPOP" channels work.

My system is running Windows XP SP1 with DirectX 9.0b (which showed no problems). I have not used any third party plug-ins when having this problem.
l0b0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2004, 11:10   #9
siebe83
Forum King

It sounds very similar to this:
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....hreadid=189725

For now, try to connect through www.shoutcast.com

(anyone who can confirm wether this problem is still around?
if so, maybe make the thread I linked to a stickey in TS?
a lot of people are still experiencing this problem)

Good Winamp plugins by Joonas, DrO and shaneh.
If you're bored go here or, if the boredom is more serious, here.
siebe83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2004, 12:15   #10
l0b0

Definitely similar. Just close this request or add it to the information regarding thread 189725.

[Edit --> DJ Egg]
Threads merged and made sticky in Tech Support.
Strangely enough, I'm not having any problems at the moment...
but I'll try a few more stations, and see if I can find out more info.
Old 24th August 2004, 06:04   #11
Takoon

Hi....
I`m not having a problem with the INT Radio side, that `s working ok @ the moment...

I`m having problem`s with the INT TV side...Once selected nothing come`s up..0 of 126 stream`s is displayed @ the bottom though..???

Is this also down to them..
Takoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2004, 12:18   #12
Mata

I'm also getting the same problem. Accessing through Shoutcast seems to be working, but it would be more convenient if I could access directly through the player itself.

This was working a few weeks ago... What's changed?
Mata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2004, 16:02   #13
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

I've just refreshed my ML > Internet Radio list, brought down 5000 streams, and enqueued the top 200 from the list into my playlist window, and every single one of them played perfectly ok... so I'm not really sure what the problem is...?

@Takoon
There's a separate sticky for Internet TV issues...
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2004, 17:46   #14
Mata

Essentially the problem is exactly as others have described it before me.

I open Winamp, the ML> Streaming media> Internet Radio but double clicking on most radio stations, such as Club 977, smoothjazz.com, or 'digitally imported - Trance Techno Dance' brings up no connection at all. No details, no buffering at 0%, nothing at all appears in any of the information boxes.

These stations do play when accessed through the shoutcast site.

However, some stations do play through the ML, such as Groove Salad, and surprisingly 'digitally imported - Ambient Chillout Psy'.

I've reinstalled but this hasn't helped. The questions that need to be asked are these:

Can other people who have this error connect to the same stations that I can, and do they have the same stations on error?

What is different in the process of accessing channels that I can get to those that I cannot?

What is different about a connection generated through Shoutcast?

I'm thinking that the difference is in the way the .pls file is generated. I guess that the software has the correct information to generate this automatically for some of the stations, but not for others. Where this information comes from I don't know, I'm not much of a programmer, but this explanation does seem to be the most likley one.

EDIT: I've had a new thought. I doubt it's relevant, but I've got the FoxyTunes extension in Firefox so that I can control Winamp directly from my browser. I can't think why this might be important but you never know. Does anyone else with this error have this Firefox extension? If even one doesn't then we can discount it.

Last edited by Mata; 24th August 2004 at 18:06.
Old 24th August 2004, 18:58   #15
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

A firewall issue maybe?

When I queue up that Club 977 80s Channel stream, there's 5 entries in the playlist.
Four of them are port 80 streams and end with "stream/1040", eg.
http://64.236.34.97:80/stream/1040
http://64.236.34.196:80/stream/1040

The 5th one doesn't use the uvox server method, and is a direct port 8010 link:
http://205.188.234.66:8010

Can you get one of the alt url's to stream?

Again, all the streams you referred to above are working perfectly ok for me.
Old 25th August 2004, 08:31   #16
l0b0

Quote:

Again, all the streams you referred to above are working perfectly ok for me. [/B]
I use the Windows XP firewall, and both the port 80 and 8010 streams Work For Me. But the problem is not listening, it's getting the streams to show up in the playlist when double-clicking a channel.
Old 25th August 2004, 11:04   #17
Mata

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ Egg
A firewall issue maybe?

Four of them are port 80 streams and end with "stream/1040", eg.[...]
http://64.236.34.97:80/stream/1040
http://64.236.34.196:80/stream/1040

The 5th [...] is a direct port 8010 link:
http://205.188.234.66:8010

Weird.

Okay, all of those worked for me.

I opened them using the 'play URL' option under files. As a test I then tried double clicking on the media library link to see whether that was still broken... And it's fixed.

Even more mysteriously, all of the other media library links are fixed too. I have absolutely no frigging idea how that's worked, but it seems to have done the job.

I'm going to reset my machine now, to see if this solution sticks after a reset.

EDIT: Yes, it still works after a reset. I guess somehow the program learnt from those links what a proper link should look like... Or something like that!

If anyone else has this problem, try copy and pasting each of the links above in turn into the Open URL box (open it using File> Open URL...). I don't know which one solved it, or even why this should work, but it appears to have done the job. I've changed nothing else so this must have been it. Weird.

Thanks DJ Egg! 'Much appreciated.
Old 25th August 2004, 14:08   #18
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Quote:
Originally posted by l0b0
I use the Windows XP firewall, and both the port 80 and 8010 streams Work For Me. But the problem is not listening, it's getting the streams to show up in the playlist when double-clicking a channel.
Hmm... have you tried emptying your internet cache?
Also clear out your temp folders as well.

Apart from that, have you installed any extra 3rd-party plugins?

Have you tried clicking the Refresh button? (ML > Internet Radio view)

I'm really not sure where the problem lies...
maybe a corrupt database?
Switch to a different ML view, then close Winamp.
Now go to the "Winamp\Plugins\ml" folder and delete:
radio.dat, radio.vmd, radio.idx (back them up first, just in case).

Reopen Winamp
Go to: Prefs > Media Library > Streaming Media tab
Click the "Modify Preferences" button at the bottom.
Change the Number of Streams to fetch to something other than the default 500,
eg. type in: 1000 (mine's currently set to 5000)
Checkmark one of the "Refresh all listings every..." options
(mine's currently set to "Hour").
Checkmark: "Automatically refresh listings in background".
Click OK

Now open the ML and click on the Internet Radio view.

The list should refresh automatically
(if not, click the Refresh button).

Now, right-click one of the station streams in the list
and select one of "Play" or "Enqueue".
("Play" will wipe the playlist and replace it with this stream; "Enqueue" will add the stream to the end of the current playlist, so you'll then need to open the Playlist Editor Window, navigate to the end of the playlist and double-click the entry for it to start playing).

Hmm, talking of which...
maybe you've got "Enqueue selected item(s)" selected in:
Prefs > Media Library > Library Options tab:
Double Click or Enter Options ????
(instead of "Play selected item(s)")

If the problem persists, maybe try a clean install?

@Mata
Cool
Old 25th August 2004, 14:25   #19
l0b0

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ Egg
Hmm... have you tried emptying your internet cache?
Also clear out your temp folders as well.

Apart from that, have you installed any extra 3rd-party plugins?

Have you tried clicking the Refresh button? (ML > Internet Radio view)

I'm really not sure where the problem lies...
maybe a corrupt database?
Switch to a different ML view, then close Winamp.
Now go to the "Winamp\Plugins\ml" folder and delete:
radio.dat, radio.vmd, radio.idx (back them up first, just in case).

Reopen Winamp
Go to: Prefs > Media Library > Streaming Media tab
Click the "Modify Preferences" button at the bottom.
Change the Number of Streams to fetch to something other than the default 500,
eg. type in: 1000 (mine's currently set to 5000)
Checkmark one of the "Refresh all listings every..." options
(mine's currently set to "Hour").
Checkmark: "Automatically refresh listings in background".
Click OK

Now open the ML and click on the Internet Radio view.

The list should refresh automatically
(if not, click the Refresh button).

Now, right-click one of the station streams in the list
and select one of "Play" or "Enqueue".
("Play" will wipe the playlist and replace it with this stream; "Enqueue" will add the stream to the end of the current playlist, so you'll then need to open the Playlist Editor Window, navigate to the end of the playlist and double-click the entry for it to start playing).

Hmm, talking of which...
maybe you've got "Enqueue selected item(s)" selected in:
Prefs > Media Library > Library Options tab:
Double Click or Enter Options ????
(instead of "Play selected item(s)")

If the problem persists, maybe try a clean install?

@Mata
Cool
I already tried the clean install, and it didn't change squat. So I guess the rest of the tips are moot. But to recuperate: My Internet cache is practically empty (only some MSN files left, as I don't use IE), I have no 3rd party plug-ins, I've tried refreshing several times, refresh is done hourly, and changing to download 1000 entries actually fixed the problem! What the #$%@#$?
Old 25th August 2004, 15:00   #20
?uestion

Some have suggested going to the ShoutCast site for the list of stations, but a quicker way may be to use the ShoutAmp plugin (may not work with 5.04). I have found that refreshing the list also sometimes helps (remeber, 1 refresh per minute)
?uestion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2004, 15:14   #21
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Quote:
Originally posted by l0b0
...and changing to download 1000 entries actually fixed the problem!
Old 25th August 2004, 16:41   #22
Mata

Well, it died again this afternoon, but I followed the above instructions and that's sorted it again. I suspect that it was the lack of a refreshed list that was causing the problem. I've now got the auto-refresh every hour option selected and hopefully that will keep it running happily.

Once again, thanks for your help DJ Egg.
Old 27th August 2004, 22:11   #23
Nickolaus

I connect to the internet through the Usergate and, i think, it prevents Winamp from playing radio. The internet radio list is blank as well as tv list and all attemts to refresh it give the following result: [Error] resolving hostname.

How to fix this problem?
Nickolaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2004, 00:00   #24
siebe83
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by Nickolaus
I connect to the internet through the Usergate and, i think, it prevents Winamp from playing radio. The internet radio list is blank as well as tv list and all attemts to refresh it give the following result: [Error] resolving hostname.

How to fix this problem?
Did you install a firewall?
Be sure Winamp has the right to access the internet. Also, the settings at Prefs > General Preferences should mirror your internet connection.

Old 28th August 2004, 10:51   #25
Nickolaus

Thank you for your advice, I've just noticed, that Winamp preferences don't mirror the internet connection settings in some moments. Now I can listen to the shoutcast radio and other url's (so the problem was with the connection).

Though all attemts to refresh the radio and TV list in Winamp give depressing results: the list is blank anyway. Now the problem is not with the connection. The status line shows the "[Connected] Retrieving list ..." message and then nothing happens except another message "0 streames (0mbps)".

Maybe, you can help me with this?
Nickolaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2004, 13:15   #26
siebe83
Forum King

So you are sure your firewall (if you have one) is configured properly?

Maybe try changing the number of streams to be displayed:
Prefs > Media Library > tab Streaming Media > click button 'Modify Preferences' > change number of listing to eg. 1000

Old 9th September 2004, 00:34   #27
Winandypoo

Is this a bug? Will it be fixed?

I have had the same problems listening to radio streams. Upping the list to 5000 and refreshing it seems to work (most of the time) but it'd be really great not to have it at all.
Can someone smart tell me what the problem is (ie. where the fault is? is it software, network, etc)

How can this problem be fixed once and for all? Certainly my winamp decides for itself on any given occasion whether or not to respond to the tips given in this thread. Is a total cure on the way?
Winandypoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2004, 07:26   #28
Digital Coma

Ok, my problem is pretty much the same as everyone elses except that I can see an error down in the bottom right of my WinAmp when I try to access internet radio/TV stations. It reads:

[Error] HTTP/1.0 505 UNKNOWN (Showing old...

Then it just cuts off. Resizing the window doesn't help. I can listen to stations from Shoutcast.com on my Real One player just fine but WinAmp won't pick them up. I see a list there but none of them work. I just keep seeing that same old error. Does anyone think that this has any relation to this thread?

Any reply welcome.
Digital Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2004, 13:34   #29
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

http/1.0 505 error is either a dns lookup error, or caused by the webserver not supporting http 1.x (very unlikely these days).

Are you using Winamp 5.05 Full? (strange coincidence, eh?!)

Was this a clean install with no 3rd-party plugins?
(in particular, no 3rd-party mp3 input plugins, or streamripper plugins, etc).

You should also provide all relevant system specs and attach a HijackThis log to your reply.

Also tell us what firewall software (if any) is installed, and whether it is configured to allow full internet access for winamp.exe v5.05

[edit]

Aah, just tried connecting to Internet TV and got "[Error] connecting to host (showing old content)"

So this is a shoutcast dir serverside issue.

Though it did finally refresh on the 3rd-attempt (now displaying 124 TV streams).

However, I haven't had the same problem with Internet Radio.
Content is still refreshing/ displaying/connecting as normal for me.
Though there was a slight hiccup yesterday, where it only brought down ~2000 streams instead of the full 6000 that I've currently got mine configured to fetch.

Seems to be intermittent, and hopefully will be fully resolved shortly :/
Old 10th September 2004, 17:20   #30
Wrongun

Problem listening to Internet Radio with v.5.5 - Please help!

Hi there! (this post moved here from original new post - hijack this log attached)

Been having major problems suddenly trying to listen to Internet radio at work.

My machine is a Pentium 3 with 240 MB Ram running Win 98 (SE). I'm in an office at a UK University and so connect to the Uni LAN for the intenet etc.

I have been listening fine until this week. Originally with Winamp3 - then after my PC went a bit bananas moved over to RealPlayer (Version 9 at the mo?) about 6 months ago. Mainly listening to the streams from www.di.fm.

However, this week the streams suddenly wouldnt play with Real Player so I re-installed the new Winamp 5.5. I can currently only seem to connect with it to one station - www.risefm.com!!

All other streams I try just time out after trying to connect to the various stream options. (This is when I go to the website to use the 'listen-now' links)

Also, winamp cannot 'connect to the host' to list the available stations or enable registration when installing.

(another problem is that I used to be able to play cd's on my PC but now I can't get that to work with any player either!! )

Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated - I miss DI.fm!!

Hijack this log attached below. I am guessing its probably a uni firewall problem? In which case I have NO idea how to get round it!!

Cheers

Si
Attached Files
File Type: txt simon hijackthis.txt (5.5 KB, 1054 views)
Wrongun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2004, 17:34   #31
Wrongun

Startuplist attached below also for info.
Attached Files
File Type: txt startuplist.txt (7.0 KB, 1366 views)
Old 11th September 2004, 04:45   #32
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Yes, it could well be a corporate firewall issue. In which case, the only way you're gonna fix it is by dealing with the system administrator, and asking them to allow winamp full access to the net.

A few entries to deal with from your HJT log...

O2 - BHO: mwsBar BHO - {07B18EA1-A523-4961-B6BB-170DE4475CCA} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\MYWEBSEARCH\BAR\1.BIN\MWSBAR.DLL (file missing)

This is/was MyWebSearch hijacker/adware.

O16 - DPF: {1D4DB7D2-6EC9-47A3-BD87-1E41684E07BB} - http://ak.imgfarm.com/images/nocache/funwebproducts/ SmileyCentralInitialSetup1.0.0.6.exe

Funwebproducts/smiley central is generally known as scumware:

O16 - DPF: {56336BCB-3D8A-11D6-A00B-0050DA18DE71} (RdxIE Class) - http://software-dl.real.com/07da2559ce9cb54e7005/netzip/RdxIE601.cab

RealPlayer netzip spyware!

GreasyPalm and Brightstreet (016 Downloaded Program Files / ActiveX Controls) also look & sound highly suspicious, though I've never heard of these, so aren't rightly sure.

Fix those entries with HJT, then try running both Adaware and Spybot Search&Destroy.

Those should kill off any spyware remnants
(both are free and much more proficient than Spysweeper).

Apart from that, why two different AntiVirus programs? (Sophos & AVG)

All that said and done, it most probably IS a firewall issue :/
Old 13th September 2004, 09:55   #33
Wrongun

Cheers for the info!

Hi DJ Egg - thanks for your reply.

As I thought then - damn!

Another annoying thing is that we live in a Uni flat and our home internet access is that we are also connected to the same University LAN there. I can listen to Internet radio via Winamp without any problems at home - but not in the office!!

I guess that must be due to be connected to different servers then? (i.e. they have blocked the ports on the office servers but not the ones that handle the flats/study bedrooms etc?)

Re the 'Hijack this' comments:

I've been trying to get rid of that MyWebSearch thing for ages without any joy!

I'll take off Spysweeper then and put on AdAwareSE & Spybot. (I've also removed RealPlayer for the time being)

Re the 2 Anti-virus programs:

Sophos is the University supported software (i.e. it is installed as standard on every machine here) AVG was recommended to me by a colleague as a good free alternative and quite good for its boot registry scan on startup alone.

Also, Sophos will work on my machine for a few months and then mysteriously stop activating on startup. (I get the message that it was not installed properly then a box pops up titled SWEEP95 - Update to more recent version?)

So I quite often have to reinstall it every few months!

Thanks for the help - I'll try purging my machine of that rubbish now!

Si
Old 15th September 2004, 04:29   #34
Montrell274

Send a message via ICQ to Montrell274 Send a message via AIM to Montrell274 Send a message via Yahoo to Montrell274
http/1.0 500 Internal Server error...

It has been like this for a couple of weeks. I have no clue what is wrong..
Montrell274 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2004, 04:31   #35
Montrell274

Send a message via ICQ to Montrell274 Send a message via AIM to Montrell274 Send a message via Yahoo to Montrell274
sry, just did a quick post, meant to post my log as well..

log
Montrell274 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2004, 08:22   #36
Digital Coma

Sorry. I was on vacation for a while. Would have replied sooner.

It's a clean, full install of 5.05. No third-party plug-ins. The system specs are different for each pc on my home network and the error occures on all of them. I assure you that they are quite capable of running the app. They have before. I have no firewall (Hardware OR Software) setup on the network. I would include a Hijack log but when I went to the site you linked to, it said that they were down at the moment. Guess nothing works these dayz. I'll keep trying though.
Old 15th September 2004, 14:26   #37
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

There's 4 other alternate download locations for HJT via the link I provided.

Also, have you tried clicking the Refresh button a few times?

Also note that a firewall (eg. Zone Alarm, Kerio, Sygate, etc) is quite essential these days for blocking the multitude of trojans and hackers out there.
Old 15th September 2004, 20:23   #38
Digital Coma

I feel like an idiot. Where is the button to search for the attachment file?
Old 16th September 2004, 10:37   #39
siebe83
Forum King

Use the button, instead of the quick reply box.
There you'll find a box (under the text box) to attach files: 'Browse..'.

Old 21st September 2004, 05:48   #40
boomchip

No fix yet?
boomchip is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support