Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support

Old 28th July 2000, 14:34   #41
bizznit

yes spary101, i swapped the memory sticks around. I first took the 64 mb memory stick out of the second slot(slot one). I left the other stick in the first slot(slot zero) then i rebooted and it would not run window98 very stable. then i took it out and put in the other 64mb memory card. now i was able to install windows 98 and windows 98 second edition updates. before i could install windows98 but while installing windows 98 second edition it would cause a Fatal exception error. thanks sparky101, even though i figured it out. i am new to computers and i just built this machine without any help. i guess i'm better at computers than i thought cause i almost gave up trying to build it twice. by tyhe way if you wanna know the specifications this is it...Processor: Pentium 3 550mhz (100mhz bus) Memory: 128 (now 64 because the other memory stick is bad, i know this now because you just told me) . Video card Voodoo 3 2000 PCI (i just upgraded, if you think this card sucks you should have seen my other crappy card) Sound card: Creative sound blaster 128 PCI (it's not too bad actually) Motherboard: intel SE440BX-2 (only 2x AGP slot though).
You must agree that this system is pretty good. it is super fast. i had a sloooow AMD K6-2 500mhz computer. i had it for 3 weeks and i sold it for the same price i bought it for ($500) and this system i have now cost $640 . it was already built but i asked the guy to give me just the parts to make it. now that i know how to build a computer i am really impressed with myself. i almost didn't think i could do it. the only help i got was when i went to the guys house to show me where i connect all the wires(power,leds,slave master,ect)

[This message has been edited by bizznit (edited July 28, 2000).]
bizznit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2000, 01:02   #42
MamiyaOtaru
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to MamiyaOtaru Send a message via AIM to MamiyaOtaru Send a message via Yahoo to MamiyaOtaru
Back to Opera for a sec.. does anyone using it have problems with Hotmail? The window I write the mail in only shows one character at a time and I can't enlarge it. Oh well, still have to keep a copy of IE, but Opera is the shiz for surfing.

------------------
Erst kommt das Fressen, dann kommt die Moral
MamiyaOtaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2000, 01:32   #43
rm'
Banned

No, I don't. Sometimes, there are probs with cookies (geocities), but I still think it kicks ASS and should become the de facto browser

Does this happen all the time? I think it's just a buggy word wrap feature. Sometimes, wrapping doesn't happen properly with NS and Opera in the forums, so this might be happening with the text box. I could be wrong

[This message has been edited by Radioactive Man (edited July 28, 2000).]
rm' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2000, 01:46   #44
rm'
Banned

Me stupid very much so...

By window, do you mean 'window', or the text entry box? If it's the actual window, are the other windows tiny? Which browser are you telling Opera to identify as (Mozilla, IE)? Do you have the book marks dockable window open, is it floating, or is it non-existant?
Old 29th July 2000, 06:45   #45
bizznit

I use hotmail too. I like Internet Explorer 5 so i'm sticking with it. "and that's the bottom line"--Stone Cold Steve Austin. Hey MamiyaOtaru what do the words on your signature line mean? What language is that?
Old 29th July 2000, 07:38   #46
rm'
Banned

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bizznit:
I like Internet Explorer 5 <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The most unbelievable combination of five words in the English (not German, nudge, nudge; wink, wink) language.
Old 30th July 2000, 14:17   #47
MamiyaOtaru
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to MamiyaOtaru Send a message via AIM to MamiyaOtaru Send a message via Yahoo to MamiyaOtaru
Brain fart, couldnt think of 'text entry box' That is what I meant. It is identifying itself as Mozilla. Yup, I like IE about as much as RealPlayer.

BIZZNIT: the quote is German, and is just ever so much more elegant in the original; ie. dunno if I can really translate it. kinda like 'first comes food, then come morals' ie gotta worry about what to eat before worrying about rules.

------------------
Erst kommt das Fressen, dann kommt die Moral
MamiyaOtaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2000, 15:39   #48
bizznit

Yes I agree Realplayer sucks a lot, but i still like internet Explorer. OK i have some more semi-winamp related questions. How do you reboot Windows 98 without rebooting your computer? What i mean is how do you just reboot the operating system? I saw someone do it a few times but couldn't see what buttons he was pressing. The steps were like this: You click "shut down", click "restart", then hold down ALT+TAB (or something similar). and then your windows 98 restarts without the computer restarting. I have had trouble while using IE with multiple windows. some of the windows just freeze and i can't even close them. if i "end task" it closes all the other windows too. does antbody know the command for this?
Hey Radioactive Man maybe i'll look into that Operasoftware.com thing. can't hurt. I'll probably try netscape first though. opera sounds risky. i never heard of it before and neither has a lot of other people i asked.
Old 30th July 2000, 21:09   #49
rm'
Banned

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bizznit:

Hey Radioactive Man maybe i'll look into that Operasoftware.com thing. can't hurt. I'll probably try netscape first though. opera sounds risky. i never heard of it before and neither has a lot of other people i asked.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't use NS, it takes forever to load pages. If you get opera, you'll have to get a reg-code..
There is no such thing as restarting the OS without restarting the computer. When you restart your computer, what you are actually doing is reloading the OS (and all the drivers and stuff) Maybe what your friend did was load another OS

Mamiya, I'll try hunt down the cause of your problem. Very odd indeed.
Old 31st July 2000, 06:50   #50
bizznit

Radioactive Man I think i found the command for what i was talking about it is called "warm reboot" click "shut down" and hold "shift" key. the computer will reboot without checking anything and the operating system will restart. i will try it after i'm done downloading "he aint man enough". hmmm napster was faster than this. i got it from mp3board.com. do you know any other sites that are good for downloading mp3's? thanks for your help man.
Old 3rd August 2000, 22:58   #51
BeatriceBlue

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Radioactive Man:
As long as we're asking questions that have nothing to do with winamp:

Until recently, my connection to the internet was just fine and dandy. Then, being the daft luttle fool I am, I deleted Windows (don't ask how). I used Compaq's quickrestore thingy, cuz those bastards didn't give me a Windows CD. I get my computer up and running, and now I have the weirdest problem. My connection kind of dies every three or so minutes. It stops responding (won't upload or download). It does this for about a minute, then goes back to normal, in a vicious cycle. It's not my ISP (freewwweb; dial-up) because it works fine on my other computers. I'm thinking that it might be IE. I tried downloading IE (18 mbs!). Didn't work. I tried fiddling with all my browser, internet, and modem settings. Nothing seems to work. The reason that it might be the browser is that most other connectivity apps like Napster work fine most of the time. Help would be appreciated.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't know much about all this, but maybe if you go to your start windows, scroll up to 'windows updates', it will tell you how to get a customer care CD that will fix most of the bugs in the system, and you only have to come up with shipping and handling. Hope it does some help!
BeatriceBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2000, 23:22   #52
shepp

pop in a DOS 6.22 boot disk or disk 1 of the DOS 6.22 install (3 disks) and re-boot. Type fdisk and have at it. You might as well reformat the darn thing while you're at it...

good luck... if you're lucky, we;ll see you back here in a couple of days...

:-&gt;

shepp
shepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2000, 23:27   #53
shepp

pop in a DOS 6.22 boot disk or disk 1 of the DOS 6.22 install (3 disks) and re-boot. Type fdisk and have at it. You might as well reformat the darn thing while you're at it...

good luck... if you're lucky, we;ll see you back here in a couple of days...

:-&gt;

shepp
shepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2000, 15:23   #54
bizznit

Wha?...were you talking to me? dos disks?
who uses dos? are you talking about 486's? i already figured it out with the fdisk simulator, but thanks for the help. By the way i heard that there was a guy who formats his computer every week. it takes him 1 hour to do everything...or so he claims(or so he lies!). it takes me 1 hour to repartition my hard drive, format it, and load my windows 98 and windows 98 SE upgrade. that bitch must be lying. it takes me another hour or more to load my sound, video, modem drivers, and then i also have to load my freakin programs and games, and backups. no freakin way...no body can completly format their computer in an hour and get their programs loaded back on their computers. I have a 7200 rpm hard drive too!!! i am doing all this stuff as fast as ....well i'm doing it pretty damn fast. if someone can beat my 2 hour time please tell me, so i can laugh at what a freakin liar you are!!!
Old 4th August 2000, 15:28   #55
bizznit

P.S that was extreme sarcasm if you didn't take the hint. seriously though how fast does it take you guys to partition, format , install your OS, and your programs back on your computers? thanks for the replies.
Old 6th August 2000, 20:47   #56
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

RM - Have you tried the Fix IE utility in the Add/Remove Programs CPL ?
Hi-lite IE -&gt; Add/Remove -&gt; Fix IE

Ain't Opera a bit like Neo Planet, where they both use IE's DLL's & OCX's to actually operate. I mean, c'mon, a 2MB Browser . . . surely not !?!?

IE5.1 is still the best browser by far !
Okay, it's Micro$oft . . . sure . . . but if it's an integral part of Windows and you can't get rid of it, then ya might as well use it !

As for the Toggle Images tool, you can do this with IE too.
In the links menu there is a Toggle Images tool. The suss is that you move the actual EXEcutable into the C:\WINDOWS folder and place a shortcut to it in the C:\WINDOWS\Favorites\Links folder. This way, it works for individual IE Windows . . . or at least it does for me anyway !
However, I rarely use it 'cos most pages load real fast regardless !

BTW, it'd be easier to get one of those Internet magz with a cover CD rather than download multi Megs off the web. Most of the current ones still come complete with a version of IE5.1 plus there might be a fair few other useful little items thereon that might make buying a mag seem a bit more worthwhile ?!?!

Personally, I think I'll wait for IE5.5 Final Release b4 upgrading. I don't trust that supposedly buggy beta version !

Finally, you need to update the Links to Common FAQ's in the Read This First section. I'm constantly updating the original thread, adding new links all the time !
So you should really make it a regular thing, or place a link to the original thread within yours, and use a "check for any updates" tag.

That's all 4 now -&gt; Laterz -&gt; Egg.

ps.
Okay, I've just found out that Opera is a 9.5MB download and not 2Megs [Neo Planet] as I assumed earlier. Oops !
Hey, and with Java included too !
Anyways, it ain't freeware. Who ever heard of paying for a browser b4 ?
Oh yeah . . . AOL !

------------------
DJ - Egg
^/^
`v

[This message has been edited by DJEgg (edited August 10, 2000).]
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2000, 08:58   #57
bizznit

DJEgg what the hell do you mean IE is an integral part of windows and that you can't get rid of it? do you mean you can't delete it or that you can't do anything without it? if you're saying that you cant uninstall it than maybe you need to check your windows folder. or edit your registry. i've deleted the IE that came from windows 98 SE once already.
Old 13th August 2000, 23:37   #58
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

And what browser are you using perchance ?

I meant what I said !

I'm using Win95 v4 Final Edition, with loads of upgrades, updates. patches, enhancements etc, and it works a treat . . . no crashes, errors, or problems whatsoever . . . never !

The default browser with the original install was IE3.
Since then, I've upgraded to v4 -&gt; v4.1 SP2 -&gt; V5.0 -&gt; V5.1, plus a fair few M$ patches, not to mention the D.U.N. & Winsock2 upgrades.

If I were to go to the Windows CPL -&gt; Add/Rem Programs and choose "IE -&gt; Add/Remove -&gt; Uninstall the current version . . .", I could keep doing this until it got back down to the default v3, and that's as far as it goes . . . the option to uninstall from thereon is blanked out & unavailable.

However, I wouldn't dream of doing any of this, 'cos IE5.1 is the best browser ever by far !
I uninstalled all references [including Reg entries] to Netscape, AOL, Compuserve, OnLine Services crap etc a long time ago, 'cos after trying them briefly, I was totally unimpressed . . . and when I got the IE5.1 upgrade . . . well, blow me . . . all else followed !

By the way, IE's engine is installed in the Windows System Folder.
If you delete all of the relevant installed DLL's and OCX's [etc] and all references to IE from the Registry, then all I can say is "God help your current version of Windows".

IE upgrades include upgrades to essential Windows components and modules
[eg. DLL's -&gt; comctl32; advapi32; browseui; crypt32; gdi32; jscript; mlang; mshtml; oleaut32; shdocvw; shfolder; urlmon; webcheck; etc] which further enhance the performance of Windows.
Without these upgrades, Windows will run a helluva lot less smoothly.
If you totally delete any of these components, then I'd be surprised if Windows will work at all !
As I said, they are essential components.

You certainly won't have the Windows Desktop Update that came with IE 4.1 [How can you live without that ?]

You lose many other features too, eg.
IESHWIZ - Customize this folder; View -&gt; Folder Options Enhancements; View Desktop as Web Page; Start Menu Enhancements [rt. click options]; loadsa Internet Options & security tweaks; sheesh, there must be loads more too !

Well, that's enough rant for now !
Have I made myself perfectly clear ?

The End
[. . . or is it ?]

------------------
DJ - Egg
^/^
`v
Old 13th August 2000, 23:46   #59
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Hey, wait a mo bizznit dude . . . I've just read the post further up on the page where you said you're using IE5 [and that you "like it"] . . . which means you never "uninstalled" IE in the first place.

Kind of a contradiction of terms somewhat ?!?!

BTW, it was RM who originally said that "IE can't be uninstalled", way back on page 1 of this thread.
I was just responding to his statement . . . and this was probably the least important part of the entire message anyway !
Old 18th August 2000, 19:50   #60
insertnamehere

Bizznit -

just so you know ... the phrase that MamiyaOtaru has is German ... I believe it means : Only the food comes, then comes the moral
insertnamehere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2000, 04:20   #61
bizznit

sheesh, i was just saying that's all. my operating system goes crazy a lot and i mean A LOT. windows 98 and second edition are not user friendly at all! i've had a AMD K6-2 and it crashed every 5 minutes. i sold it and i built my own computer and every damned month it went haywire. i could easily restore the registry but i dont trust that utility so i just format my hard drive and reinstall everything. i've reformatted my hard drives at least 13 times in the last 3 months. windows 98 SE is 100% shit. Windows 2000 professional is 100% shit, When windows 2000 millenium comes out it will be 100% shit. i want to wait until windows 2000 NEPTUNE comes out. that will be the only decent windows version for home users like me. DJEgg when i said that i uninstalled it i meant during one of the many many times i formatted my drive. trust me you can uninstall windows internet explorer that originally came with your operating system. you just have to do it manually. of coarse you don't completly delete every file unless you want to rape your computer. DJEgg do you know about the microsoft butterfly icon? when you upgrade your win IE 5.xx it places that utility on your desktop and won't let you delete it like a regular file or folder. it stays resident in your system and it's a bitch to delete it.
Old 19th August 2000, 08:19   #62
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Cool Bizznit, a bit of a slight misunderstanding ?!?!

You do seem to be having problems my friend.
Reformatting that often . . . sounds very strange to me !

Butterfly Icon ?
Narr, never heard of it !

I won't be upgrading from IE5.1 until the final release of IE5.5 comes out.
Although, I'm quite happy with 5.1 so I might not bother upgrading at all ?!?!

This butterfly thingy . . . what is it exactly ?
What opens when you click it ?

It sounds to me that it's one of those "Set as Desktop Icon" jobbies . . . like "My Computer", "Recycle Bin", etc.

You can remove these if you've got TweakUI [which comes with M$ PowerToys].

There are other program tools that will also do this, eg.
More Properties

Laterz -&gt; Egg
Old 19th August 2000, 08:46   #63
Winsane
Moderator Alumni

What's the icon labeled as? "My Computer", perhaps (if you're using the Nature theme)?
Winsane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2000, 09:55   #64
WolfieD

I have Win98 2nd Edition. I use MSIE 5.0 and own a Compaq 5360, with 64 megs of ram, a 10 gig HD, and a pentium2 which i believe sinks thru the air at a whopping 400mhz. Windows barely ever crashes, I havent had to partition or reformat or anything since i bought it, (just delete the 5 gigs of crap they preloaded) and it runs fine. just DONT GET PRODIGY INTERNET. anyway, just throwin in my 666th of a cent in. BTW im looking to upgrade to a better paperweight, something which will stay current for more than 5 seconds, but i only have about a thousand. any thoughts on a FAST POWERFUL computer with lots of room for mp3s and warez?

------------------
WolfieD - Pointing out incredible stupidity in the world since 1985.
http://wolfied.cjb.net
WolfieD's Den: Go there or die! Did I mention that its better than sex with your hand?
Old 27th August 2000, 17:03   #65
@@Angel@@

I have a non- Winamp question as well...I just bought a Compaq 7940 AMD Athon with 128 memory, 600 mhz and a 30 gig hard drive...I bought this July 10th of this year, when used it the 2nd time, I received "fatal exception errors" when i started the computer and when I shut it down it would freeze...So I reformatted the computer. Well, it was fine for about 2 weeks, then the errors came back, so i called compaq and they installed a program to supposibly stop the errors and they checked the registry. I called them again and I was on hold for 2 hours on the phone then again on hold for another hour and they didn't help what so ever...so I gave up on their tech. service, Well, now I am having the same problem, just not as bad...I have not unistalled or installed any programs improper, I use the add/remove programs feature and matter of fact after i reformatted I installed all my programs at that time and didn't uninstall or reinstall any there after and this problem comes up 2 weeks later...My question is what are fatal exception errors and is there anyway to prevent and correct them?

P.S. Compaq computers are shit...Before I bought this computer I had a Packard bell 300 mhz with a 5.2 gig hard drive and 32 memory and that computer never ever gave me any problems as this one has so far and I had that computer for almost 2 years prior to getting this one. Matter of fact, I still have that computer, Maybe I should sell this one and use that one again even though it's slow as hell...Too bad I no longer can buy Packard bell computers.
@@Angel@@ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2000, 17:19   #66
@@Angel@@

hi, I was thinking of downloading that operasoftware that you people mentioned above. I'm just not sure if it's worth it for a one month trial and I'm not about to pay hard earned cash for a browser and btw,I'm using netscape now and it is truely slower than hell but I'd hafta say it's hella better than IE. IE sucks!!
@@Angel@@ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2000, 18:00   #67
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Angel
IE sucks only if you let it.
If you goto options:
1. Security -&gt; set it to "Low" for Internet & Trusted Sites zones
2. Advanced -&gt; Browser : Uncheck
i) Display a notification about every script error
ii) Enable page hit counting
3. Advanced -&gt; Security : Uncheck
First 3 [check for . .] & last 3 [Warn . .]
4. Make sure there is a checkmark next to all the "Use . . ." options inbetween.

Also make sure Java console & JIT compiler are enabled.

Most other options are self-explanatory and / or optional.
Use the help &lt;?&gt; utility for full explanations.

IE5.1 pisses on Netscrape by miles. Believe me !

Re: Fatal Error Exceptions [blue screen of death].
These are usually caused by conflicts & corruptions in the registry where software / drivers are not properly installed or configured.

Methods of prevention:
1. Re-install Windows + goto micro$oft.com for Win98 patches.
2. Goto Add/Rem programs CPL -&gt; IE -&gt; Add/Remove -&gt; Fix IE
3. Open RegEdit and search for any references to supposedly uninstalled programs . . .
4. Use Norton AntiCrash or get AntiCrash2000
5. Check out all your other essential Control Panels and make sure everything is properly configured.
Especially look in System CPL -&gt; Device Manager and check for any conflicts.
6. Make sure you have all the latest drivers properly installed for CD-ROM Drive / Modem / Soundcard / Videocard / DirectX / etc

Best of luck my friend !

[This message has been edited by DJEgg (edited August 28, 2000).]
Old 28th August 2000, 22:46   #68
CienPorCien

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Konfuz0r:
COMPAQ!
hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Crusty
Old
Mexican
Parts
Are
Questionable

hahahahahaha compaq.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow, I guess this kind of stuff would make YOU intelligent then right? Please This is the kind of stuff that makes message boards childish and unworthy at times. It's really sad too when you have moderators joining in on the racism and racist remarks and jokes. I thought this message board was "watched". But, I guess when the people watching are involved it does no good huh. That's too bad. I really thought this was a good message board. So i'll sit back now and watch the jokes and remarks continue now that I have defended my people, i'll get to waatch you idiots continue your intelligent messages. Going to get popcorn to watch the show.or maybe I should say beans huh?
"Lo Mas intelligente es la persona que no habla cosas feo asi de otra gente."
CienPorCien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2000, 02:51   #69
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

CienPorCien

On behalf of everybody on these forums, I sincerely apologise.
I have now deleted the message you referred to and would have done so a lot earlier if I'd known it was there.
Thankyou for bringing it to our attention.
There is no place on these forums [or anywhere else, in an ideal world] for racist comments or racism of any kind whatsoever.
Please forgive us !

Konfusor
Please refrain from posting comments such as this in the future, no matter how light hearted your intentions may have been.

Remember, we are here to help, not offend !
Regardless of how crap compaq may or may not be

------------------
DJ - Egg
^/^
`v
Old 29th August 2000, 04:07   #70
Winsane
Moderator Alumni

Seemed like more of a countryist comment than a racist comment. And if I'm not mistaken, Mexico's economy isn't nearly as strong as that of the U.S., hence perhaps an association with lower quality products.
I miss Konfuz0r. He started out just plain lame, but then did as I asked after I suggested he up the creativity. Maybe I'll start flaming newbies to get OAQM to turn back into Mr. Hyde. [img]http://smilecwm.***********/cwm2/Up_to_something.gif[/img] [img]http://smilecwm.***********/ruinkai/VAMPA.gif[/img] [img]http://smilecwm.***********/ruinkai/evilgrinblack.gif[/img]
Old 29th August 2000, 07:56   #71
CienPorCien

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Winsane:
Seemed like more of a countryist comment than a racist comment. And if I'm not mistaken, Mexico's economy isn't nearly as strong as that of the U.S., hence perhaps an association with lower quality products.
I miss Konfuz0r. He started out just plain lame, but then did as I asked after I suggested he up the creativity. Maybe I'll start flaming newbies to get OAQM to turn back into Mr. Hyde. [img]http://smilecwm.***********/cwm2/Up_to_something.gif[/img] [img]http://smilecwm.***********/ruinkai/VAMPA.gif[/img] [img]http://smilecwm.***********/ruinkai/evilgrinblack.gif[/img]
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well first, when people lack knowledge of someone or someplace they tend to put it down to make themselves fell superior to others. In Fact, Mexico is a really cool place and if you go deep into Mexico You will find a really great country. I feel economy has nothing to do with the quality of a product. You'd be surprised what they make from stuff we consider "junk" or "trash". Then again unless you are from there have family from there or have ever seen the true heart of Mexico your only knowledge comes from the lack of. And DJ I appreciate your apology. If you wanna know the truth I'm not even Mexican I'm white(american if you will) But I have a son who is mexican and a husband who is from Mexico. I have in-laws down there that struggle day to day. And to criticize someone because of their government? I think that's wrong. Think about it. Do you honestly think those people "enjoy" living in poverty. I "Know" they don't. But can they change that? again the answer is no. So please take time to research before you respond to something if you don't in fact have any genuine knowledge of something. I sure wouldn't respond to any of these technical questions cuz i don't really know anything about it.And as far as computers go, I work for a computer company that makes computers right here in the U.S. And in fact get about 500 a week myself with people complaining about their system. So really where they are made or where the product comes from means nothing. It's the person making it or the time they take to make it (or lack of) that makes the quality. Sorry this is lengthy i'll get off the soap box.
Adios

CienPorCien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2000, 04:07   #72
bizznit

DJEgg first off i'd like to say congrats for becoming a moderator. did you read my post called "make DJEgg a moderator"? i told them they should make you a mod and SLK too. and a week later you guys got promoted. conincidence? go figure.

The butterfly thing is a web integration for windows internet explorer 5.5. i upgraded the original windows 98 IE from a MSN IE update cd. the upgrade puts a colorful butterfly icon on your desktop called internet controls or whatever. it is the same pop up menu you see when you connect to your isp. it shows the number you dial up, password box, remember password checkbox, and connect button. nothing special , but the son of a bitch takes over my desktop and will not delete even after i uninstalled the upgrade. Winsane it isnt a windows 98 desktop theme. it is like the recycle bin icon you have to find it in your windows folder to delete it i think. i have learned a lot from my AMD pc and building my new pentium 3 550 mhz computer. i can fix almost every problem i encounter without having to format anymore. i have a better understand of comps than the average home computer user. thanks to winamp members and moderators i learned a lot about editing html and posting my pics on the internet. my new pentium comp is very stable now. no more fatal error messages or crashes. i think i figured out the problem. after i formatted my hard drive i would always use a compaq windows 98 second edition updates cd. i think that win 98 SE was causing the crashes or maybe compaq was the problem. i haven't tried win 98 SE full version yet. DJEgg i heard Tweakui was for windows 95 only. did you try it on win 98? .
-------------------------------------------
WolfieD custom built is the way to go because you can be sure your components are upgradable. compaqs, hewlett packard, and Emachines are not upgradable even though they say they are. What are you planning to use your computer for? if you like games go for a Geforce double data rate Prophet card or similar. i heard voodoo 5 5500 is crap and steals one of you power connectors. make sure your motherboard has 4x AGP so you can get the best speed and upgradability with the newer video cards coming out. look out for ATI' new geforce killer codenamed Charisma engine. they are coming out with a new video card that will beat all the current geforce cards and even the voodoo 5 6000 which is the most powerful card out there now not to mention the most insanely powered card. voodoo 6000 has 128 mb ram, and uses 60watts! hopefully it wont cost as much as voodoo 6000's $600 pricetag.
if you are looking for a fast computer for applications go for pc133 or direct rambus and a ulta scsi controller . i think its called ultra scsi or something similar. get a 7200rpm hard drive, and if you neen insane speed, i heard AMD and Intel are trying to outdo each other ruthlessly. if you think 1 gigahertz cpu is fast in another year or less 2 gigahertz is coming out and AMD is coming out with 1.5 ghz within months from now. if insane storage space is what you need, i heard of a new technologie that can store 140 gigabytes onto one clear optical disc. WolfieD get Computer Shopper magazine and check out all the cool stuff you can get custom built for you.it costs $3.99 and has only advertisments in it. i saw lots of custom builts really cheap with specs better than brand name comps costing over twice as much! check out cyberpowerinc.com and tigerdirect.com those are real good companies. they give you really fast custom built computers for dirt cheap prices. both websites lets you choose the components that you want but if you want a good deal check out their package deals. prices range from $300 - $1500+
---------------------------------------------
@@Angel@@ did you send in your warranty card? if they can't fix your problem they can replace the computer for you. what OS did you install? did you try the restore feature first? i had those problems too when i used windows 98 second edition. my computer would freeze when i shut it down and it would give me fatal error. try win 98 first edition. i am damn sure that second edition is the problem or if you have a network card then that could be it too. if still no luck check your partitions. after you reinstalled the OS did you check the drive for errors? if you are using windows 98 use scandisk. to check your registry use run dialog box and type scanreg to check registry for errors. i dont think it is your registry at all. if you found errors then you either didnt format it correct or the hard drive is bad. try repartitioning the drive. make sure you do it right. compaqs usually have more than one partition on one physical drive. how did you get the drivers for your comp? compaq doesnt give you driver cd's. to check if your drivers are conflicting go to control panel, device manager and see if there is a "!" next to a device. if there isnt then its some other problem. if you use the operasoftware demo you can use it forever free. they just threaten people with that registering BS to get money.
you know the best thing i learned recently? i found a program called CLONECD. it is a sort of secret freeware program that lets you burn cd's WITH the copy protection onto a cd-r(w). computer games and some applications have a copy protection that doesnt let you copy a cd so you cannot make illegal copies. . I used easy cd creator to make a copy of Microsoft Midtown Madness and when i tried to play the game it scanned for the copy protection and refused to play the burned cd. while using clonecd it said "error reading sector xx on cluster xx. this is intentional part of copy protection so you cannot copy that cd. with CloneCD it writes in raw mode giving you full control over the recording process. after i burned the cd it produced an exact copy of the microsoft disc along with the copy protection it only works with cd writers that is able to excute certain commands and be able to write in raw mode. the cd reader must be able to extract the copy protection. the demo version limits your speed to 2x the registered version is $50 and lets you write at max speed up to 12x i think. it is the only program that can do this. i haven't tried copying playstation games but i dont know if it will let you use it without a mod chip. playstsation uses a boot protection so maybe some old games can be copied easily.! if anyone wants to learn more about clonecd please email me or let me know. bizznit@hotmail.com
sorry i tried to make this post longer, but i ran out of stuff to say.
Old 2nd September 2000, 07:50   #73
Winsane
Moderator Alumni

Bizznit, the Windows 98 (1st edition) CD comes with TweakUI. Microsoft decided to leave it off the Windows 98 2nd edition CD (I think because of pressure from computer manufacturers who didn't want Microsoft providing unsupported software with each computer with Windows they made). But I'm pretty sure the version from the 1st edition CD works just fine with Windows 98 2nd edition. So if you've only got a 2nd edition CD, either find a friend with a 1st edition CD or try to find TweakUI on the internet.
Old 3rd September 2000, 05:31   #74
WolfieD

I just dl'd it a week ago, looks cooler than the win95 design with the sliding tab menu, but still works the same. Bizz: Thanks, Ive taken that info into consideration and am currently excepting cash from everybody to get me.... i mean my mother a computer. send it via email, or something. then maybe you can ftp me your credit card, or just mail me the credit card number along with exp date and such

------------------
WolfieD - Pointing out incredible stupidity in the world since 1985.
http://wolfied.cjb.net
WolfieD's Den: Go there or die! Did I mention that its better than sex with your hand?
Old 3rd September 2000, 16:46   #75
aaron

about browsers: i read that:
-ie is the fastest for scripts
-opera is the fastest for complex pages
-netscape is the fastest for general use, if you "tune" it properly. with the default settings, ie is faster, but if you set the netscape disk cache to 0 and the ram cache to quite a lot (like 32 mb if you have 128, or 64 if you have 256) it should run DOUBLE as fast as before. i havent tried it, just read. until now, i've used ie 5.5, but just now im downloading netscape to have a try.

------------------
aaron
aisotton@inwind.it (no winamp support)
visit my homepage!
aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2000, 00:56   #76
Bilbo Baggins
Wind Chime of the Apocalypse

Bizz, have you formatted yet, because if you haven't, i can send you an indepth guide on how do do it, totally from scratch.

------------------
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
Bilbo Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2000, 18:22   #77
aaron

now i've tried netscape with disk cacke 0 and ram cache 64mb and it ROCKS!!!!!

------------------
aaron
aisotton@inwind.it (no winamp support)
visit my homepage!
aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2000, 16:25   #78
Killer

I strongly believe that IE v.5.. is the best browser available at the moment, especially if it is customized for best perfomance. There are lots of utilities that allow you to make customizations. I believe that one of the best can be found at *www.abtons-shed.com*. I also advise those that have Win98SE not to bother installing Tweakui from the Win98 cd, although it works fine, since it doesn't even have half the options that Tweakall has.

However, if anyone wants to get rid of IE, I suggest visiting the following URL: http://www.98lite.net
I have tried a SLEEK install with the Preview Edition in my old pentium-233 and it worked just fine to me.In fact my old computer's speed has improved dramatically.

Hope have been useful.
Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2000, 22:03   #79
JackW

Send a message via ICQ to JackW
Deviating even further from the original topic...

Even better than TweakAll is X-Setup, available at http://www.xteq.com .

You can write your own plugins for this program, so that any registry setting can be altered from a GUI front end.

Enough plugging, already...

Jack.

------------------
"What kind of a two-bit operation are they running out of this treehouse, Cooper?"
JackW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2000, 06:49   #80
bizznit

whooowheee thats cool. Winsane i have windows 98 first edition but i want to get the newset version. what website do i download tweakUI, or Tweakall, or whatever it is called?
------------------------------------------
Bilbo Baggins i have formatted over 20 times but i do not know how to make more than one partition on one physical drive. that would be great if you could send me that information. my email is bizznit@hotmail.com.
WolfieD sure i'll send you my credit card information and anything else i have that is valuable.........not. nice try though.
--------------------------------------------
Aaron how did you set the physical memory space on your browser? i thought the only thing that you could do was set virtual memory space. which netscape version are you using? comunnicator 6.0?
Killer that win98 lite program is cool. i'm gonna mess with it to see if i can tweak some other stuff too.

[This message has been edited by bizznit (edited September 07, 2000).]
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support