Old 30th April 2003, 16:34   #1
cooky560
Major Dude

Send a message via MSN to cooky560 Send a message via Yahoo to cooky560 Send a message via Skype™ to cooky560
CD-ROM Problem

My laptop ( not my good-pc)has a non removable 52x toshiba cd-rom drive which is not working, the light on the cd-drive lights up, stays lit, and nothing happens, if i then try to access the cd it says there is not a cd in the drive, i have tried re-installing several sets of drivers for it, but to no sucess, i am afraid to format as if it is a hardware fault i will not be able to get windows installed again, but i don't think it is a hardware prob, please help me fix it!

specs:
Celeron 500
64mb ddr ram
toshiba 52x cd rom drive
Windows millenium with the "portable" instillation
cooky560 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2003, 16:36   #2
Joel
Debian user
(Forum King)

Maybe is the CD Hardware.

* PC: Intel Core 2 DUO E6550 @ 2.33 GHz with 2 GB RAM: Archlinux-i686 with MATE.
* Laptop: Intel Core 2 DUO T6600 @ 2.20 GHz with 4 GB RAM: Archlinux-x86-64 with MATE.
Joel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2003, 16:38   #3
cooky560
Major Dude

Send a message via MSN to cooky560 Send a message via Yahoo to cooky560 Send a message via Skype™ to cooky560
maybe, im hoping not though as the cd drive cant be removed on this laptop and i really cant afford a new one right now
Old 30th April 2003, 17:12   #4
Atmo
The Freak
(Forum King)

Is the drive detected by the bios and in windows?

I'm not an expert with laptops (or anthing for that matter) but if it isnt detected, and it's not under warranty, i'd take the cover off and make sure the cable is plugged in proplerly (often the problem when it comes to desktops). It could also be a problem with the ide controller or the drive itself is stuffed.

If it is detected, i'd try a cdrom lens cleaner disk first, if that doesnt help the drive itself is probably faulty.
Atmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2003, 17:24   #5
pixiefied
Mother Trucker

Send a message via Yahoo to pixiefied
ya make sure there are no conflicts with it. mycomputer > propertys > device manager. or whatever your os is.

"Well, got to love you and leave you, need to go get into the shower and rub my hard naked body all over with soapy bubbles, I'll be back later to carry on playing....

It'll take you some time to get over the image of me naked in the shower......mind you don't masturbate to hard thinking about it...."
- Mr.Jones
pixiefied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2003, 17:24   #6
Vie
Forum King

Location: Thoron fields and Duranium shadows. Posts: Crap mostly
the drive still opens and closes?

Member most in need of SpellCheck Lifetime Achievement Award

I'm a Twitch Streamer these days, it's weird.
Vie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2003, 17:26   #7
cooky560
Major Dude

yes the drive still opens and closes (laptop drives are spring loaded anyway, you just hit the button and it opens whether its on or otherwise) and there are no conflicts, but thanks for your suggestions

Cooky560 - Making Pointless Posts since 8/12/ 2002

WWW.
Victory Requires no explanation, defeat allows none.
All that Evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing
Old 30th April 2003, 17:30   #8
pixiefied
Mother Trucker

how old is your laptop? its pretty cheap to get a refurb'd cd drive.

"Well, got to love you and leave you, need to go get into the shower and rub my hard naked body all over with soapy bubbles, I'll be back later to carry on playing....

It'll take you some time to get over the image of me naked in the shower......mind you don't masturbate to hard thinking about it...."
- Mr.Jones
Old 30th April 2003, 17:31   #9
cooky560
Major Dude

my laptop is 3 years old, but the cd drive is non removable (as i said above), know any good places for refurbishemnt i can try near the Midlands , UK (thats where i live)

WWW.
Old 30th April 2003, 17:33   #10
Vie
Forum King

Ok, so how un-removable is it, are we talking cace encloses it entirely (ie there is no devision between the outer cace and the drive) in wich case it MIGHT be able to be replaced (it could still be removable just has a problematic case)

Or if its compleatly fixed, there is alwayse a good old hammer.

Old 30th April 2003, 17:36   #11
cooky560
Major Dude

the cd-rom drive is connected directly to the mother board and uses the system case as a case i.e. it is an integral part of the laptop, you'd remove the motherboard to access it, which unfortunatly directly connected to just about everything else

WWW.
Old 30th April 2003, 17:39   #12
pixiefied
Mother Trucker

disposable laptops.

- Mr.Jones
Old 30th April 2003, 17:41   #13
cooky560
Major Dude

its not disposable, according the manual its supposed to "be in working condition for at least 6 years", ive had it for 3 and its no-longer working any ideas on replacement/repair of the drive

WWW.
Old 30th April 2003, 17:43   #14
Vie
Forum King

shist, nasty one there I think you need experts to do anything with that, probably better to get a reconditioned one.

What you need it for this lot can make some recomendations as to a good place to look.

Old 30th April 2003, 17:45   #15
cooky560
Major Dude

i use it for work purposes, playing on games round friends (as my desktop is too big to take) and for infa-red networking with my desktop so it can use the net

WWW.
Old 30th April 2003, 17:45   #16
pixiefied
Mother Trucker

yep,take it to a computer shop and get a price quote,they may even have the same laptop laying around for parts. most of the time the screen goes out first so you may get lucky.

/get your phone book out.

- Mr.Jones
Old 30th April 2003, 17:47   #17
m0e
This Space For Rent
(Major Dude)

Send a message via ICQ to m0e Send a message via AIM to m0e Send a message via Yahoo to m0e
Well if the manufacturer claims it to "be in working condition for at least 6 years" I would use that statement to supercede any warrenty disclaimers in the paperwork. I don't know about the UK but that would work for me in the US. I would talk to people at the manufacturer and keep going up the food chain until I talked to someone capable of autherizing my request/demand. I wouldn't stop telling people what they were going to do for me, not what they do for everybody else, until that happened.
m0e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2003, 17:49   #18
cooky560
Major Dude

ok, the problem there is that the disclaimer says that after a period of 365 any warranties do not apply, regardless of condtion, age and/or other guidelines stated in other documentation unless required by law. so i dont see how i'm going to supercede it, unless there is a uk law loophole to allow me to count the 6 year claim for something, anyone know anything about this?

WWW.
Old 30th April 2003, 17:52   #19
pixiefied
Mother Trucker

extended warrenty? normally after 1 year a standard warrenty is up. when you buy it you have the option to also buy an extended warrenty.

- Mr.Jones
Old 30th April 2003, 17:52   #20
Vie
Forum King

Did it have Should, or somthing like that before that statement?

if so you would probably have a problem, tell us some details, my mom used to do Benefit law (and a lot of other law) as a hobbie, she could tell you if you jave much of a chance.

Old 30th April 2003, 18:00   #21
cooky560
Major Dude

ok: the disclaimer reads:
This laptop is supplied with a 365 day warranty with free repair and delivery within 3 working days to the senders address, this warranty only covers defects during manufacture, damaged or missing hardware/software and poor quality workmanship, it does not cover damage due to wear-and-tear, damage by user, case damage or acts of god. After the period of 365 days any standard warranties do not apply, regardless of condtion, age and/or other guidelines stated in other documentation unless required by law. Unless required by law, we reserve the right to remove, extend or change this warranty without prior notice. If an extended warranty is purchased it is limited to a further 600days unless otherwise stated in the extended warranty.

WWW.
Old 30th April 2003, 18:11   #22
Vie
Forum King

Ah, I'm sorry to say they seem to have covered that, I will check for you but I would not hold out much help, sorry mate.

Old 30th April 2003, 18:13   #23
cooky560
Major Dude

oh well, i thought as much, still any ideas would be nice, or ill have to plump for copying the files on the laptop to my other pc and saving up A LOT of £ to get a replacement

WWW.
Old 1st May 2003, 08:40   #24
EastenLion

Maybe the laser-tip of your CD-rom has covered with too much dirt.
And it will not read the CD any more but lights up, stays lit, and nothing happens.
EastenLion is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions