Old 14th July 2008, 02:13   #1
veldy

Nero AAC m4A files hang Winamp when on a network share

I have an iPod Classic 80GB full of songs that I ripped using dbPowerAmp (secure) using the August 2007 version of the Nero AAC encoder. Once created they reside on a network share (my DLINK SAN using RAID-1). I add the tracks to my library and all the metadata shows correctly, including the embedded album art. However, if I play a song, I may or may not get audio after several seconds. Whether or not I get audio, the UI hangs and NEVER returns. It has to be killed from Windows Vista.

My system is Vista Ultimate x64 with 4GB of memory. The network is a 1Gbps network and the drives in the SAN are SATA II. iTunes and foobar2000 do NOT have a problem with this problem. Other file types work fine from the share, including MP3 and WMA, both ripped with dbPowerAmp. I have even tried to load the m4A files into foobar2000 to optimize the MP4 layout and that doesn't help at all. My suspicion is that the code handling the MP4 container is at fault [relying upon some sort of file system attribute or locking mechanism that is not available on the SAN?].

Anyway, this is 100% reproducible. I think I have the same problem using a Samba share off of my FreeBSD box, but I have not tried against a shared file on another windows machine.

I am using version 5.54.

[edit] I am trying to do this because I want Winamp to manage the music files for my new Creative Zen and I prefer AAC over MP3 or WMA[/edit]

[edit2] It turns out that it fails even on a local drive. I tried a 64-bit mono file produced from nero earlier and that played fine ... I use these for audiobooks. The files giving me trouble in particular are VBR quality=0.55 or greater (I haven't tried lower other than ABR=64-bit mono, which works fine)[/edit2]
veldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2008, 00:20   #2
veldy

Wow ... not a single reply

... not a single reply after 24 hours. Nobody out there using Nero encoded AAC (m4a) files in WinAmp .. with a Creative Zen? Hydrogen Audio is all over this encoder; the best thing since sliced bread. I thought WinAmp was supposed to be the best media player [and a decent ripper] since sliced bread. Hmm.

Seems like a powerful reason NOT to buy WinAmp Pro.

Lack of support is just that ... I can't use WinAmp if I can't play my files. Foobar plays them. Windows Media Player plays them with help, Quicktime and iTunes play them ... in fact .. it is just WinAmp that won't play them.

Tough diddly for me I guess.
Old 15th July 2008, 01:07   #3
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

We can't reproduce the problem.
You would need to provide a link to a sample file that exhibits the problem.
See the sticky threads at the top for info.

I tried with M4A/LC-AAC files encoded by Winamp, and they worked just fine. Sorry, but I don't have any of the other players/software you mentioned, and don't particularly want any of them either.

We did notice a bit of slowness though, which we'll hopefully look into, but no hang.
DJ Egg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2008, 02:58   #4
veldy

-Winamp 5.54 (5.5.4.2147) - clean install
-ASUS P5W DH DELUXE (BIOS 08.00.12), Intel Q6600 4GB Patriot DDR2-800 4-4-4-12 RAM
-Windows Vista Ultimate x64 SP1
-NVidia 8800GT (NVidia drivers 175.19)
-Creative X-Fi Extreme Gamer (2.15.006 drivers)
-DirectX 10

Use dbPowerAmp CDRipper with the August 2007 version (latest) of the Nero AAC encoder and rip ANY music track you like at q=0.65 (or q=0.55) VBR and tag the file appropriately (dbPowerAmp will do this for you).

Here is a sample.

Try and play it in WinAmp. The application goes completely unresponsive for 5 to 10 seconds, then the song begins playing, but the UI remains unresponsive and has to be killed off via task manager. It is 100% reliable for all stereo AAC (MP4 container) VBR files create by Nero. WMA, MP3, FLAC, etc all work just fine. This very track works perfectly both in iTunes and in my iPod and in Foobar 2000.

Sorry for being ornery, but I have this wonderful Creative Zen and I want to use WinAmp to manage my library on my Zen because they don't really have good software to do so and iTunes did it well ... and it gets hung up playing tunes. It will transfer them to the Zen just fine [and they play on the zen], just not in Winamp. I think I have seen issues with nero encoded AAC/MP4 files going way back for WinAmp (and the Creative Zen).

Oddly, I was able to play a file created by dbPowerAmp using the NeroAAC encoder if I used ABR 64kbps mono (was an audiobook file I ripped). I wonder if the issue has anything to do with just how variable the VBR is with Nero.
Old 16th July 2008, 03:18   #5
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

So you're saying that even when you just try to play that file in Winamp from your local hard drive it "goes completely unresponsive for 5 to 10 seconds"? Or is just when played from the iPod over the network share?

The file plays perfectly ok for me in Winamp 5.54, no pause or hang or any problems.

Alas, I don't personally have a portable player at hand that supports m4a (I've got an older Zen Micro), nor a network share setup... though I know someone who does, and they said that they noticed some slowness, but no hang/freeze.
Old 16th July 2008, 04:32   #6
veldy

I originally thought it was the network share, but as I was writing the original post, I found it to be the case no matter where the file is hosted. The issue has nothing to do with the iPod other than I originally ripped the file to use on my iPod and now would like to use the files on my Creative Zen (they play fine on the Zen, but not in WinAmp, which I want to use to manage the Zen).

Are you using the same configuration as me? In particular, are you using Windows Vista x64 (Ultimate .. though particular version doesn't matter ... just 64-bit probabaly matters)? I suspect an incompatibility here somewhere.
Old 16th July 2008, 05:21   #7
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Hmm, maybe...

No, I've only tested on Vista Ultimate sp1 32-bit and WinXP sp3

Using Winamp 5.54 with Nullsoft in_mp4 v1.7
and no extra/3rd-party plugins
Old 16th July 2008, 11:53   #8
veldy

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ Egg
Hmm, maybe...

No, I've only tested on Vista Ultimate sp1 32-bit and WinXP sp3

Using Winamp 5.54 with Nullsoft in_mp4 v1.7
and no extra/3rd-party plugins
I use no third party plugins. But, I think you answered your own ... or my own question. The difference between testing and reality seems to possibly be affected by at last one obvious variable. And that is the fact that I am using a 64-bit version of Vista (Ultimate) and you are not. Unless WinAmp is not supported on this platform, I suggest getting a couple of test boxes [or virtual machines on 64-bit multi-core CPUs] up and running to see what is going on. It looks like a clear case of a thread dead-lock in the UI to me.
Old 15th August 2008, 16:53   #9
nholling

Same problem here

I'm having the same problem. But, my .m4a files are from iTunes + QTFairUse (I need to play the songs in linux).

I play my mp3s + AAC files from a samba share on a Ubuntu box.

When I play the .m4a songs over the network right off the share, Winamp will freeze for about 30-50 seconds then the song will start to play and the UI will come back. If it hits another .m4a in the play list the same issue will reoccur. MP3s play normally, no issue there.

I have two machines that have this behaviour. A Windows XP SP3 laptop and my Vista Ultimate 32-bit desktop machine. Both are using Winamp 5.541. My network is a 100mbit ethernet.

I do not have any third party plugins installed. Both machines were installed from scratch. Problem existed before the reinstall.

I'm assuming that the SAN in question is running Linux and is using Samba for file sharing. Only my assumption.

Let me know if I can provide more information to diagnose this issue.

-Nate
nholling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2008, 20:17   #10
PutteFnatt

I have the same problem and it is always connected to m4a files from IStore. All m4a files starts i with a delay. This is true for all m4a albums, which I have almost a hundred of.
This is on a brand new Vista32 home premium laptop with all music on a Synology DS207+ SAN.

First the audio starts after a loger time than it takes mp3 files to start.
After that the UI is dead. Then, after a long time, 20-100 seconds, the UI comes to live and displays the song playing.

I have the same behaviour on my stationary XP-box.

In one recent case the audio starts after 3 minutes! and the UI is first dead and then shows the song playing after more than 11 minutes!!! Adding this particular album to the Winamp library took 10 minutes or so.
(I haven´t checked the XP-box yet with that particular album yet).

If i convert to flac everthing plays normal on the DS207+.
Also if move this m4a-album to the local C-disk and add it to the Winamp library, the songs start as quick as the mp3 files with no delays

I never have any problem with mp3 files of which I have some 20000 in my library.
PutteFnatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2008, 03:34   #11
GaBMaTrIx

Hi everyone!

Same exact thing for me!

Encoded with Nero AAC (dbPowerAmp frontend) and played from a network share (Samba server).

UI unresponsive a long time at the beginning of each songs.
If I move the songs on the hard drive, everything's fine!

Please let us know if you can find the problem! Thanks!
GaBMaTrIx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2008, 06:22   #12
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

This issue has already been addressed and fixed for the next release. Thanks.
Old 10th October 2008, 02:07   #13
nholling

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ Egg
This issue has already been addressed and fixed for the next release. Thanks.
Thats great to hear. Thank you very much! :-)
nholling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2008, 03:22   #14
GaBMaTrIx

Thank you very much indeed!
GaBMaTrIx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2009, 13:35   #15
crashmatt

Installing an alternative m4A codec helped my setup to go a bit quicker. Reduced the delays ~90%

May be worth trying while WINAMP work on the next release.
crashmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2009, 19:15   #16
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Known Bugs

[in_mp4] Long hangs on slow network drives (patch) *

Legend
* = Fixed in latest internal builds
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Bug Reports