Old 17th May 2014, 18:45   #1
miles_muso

Corrup database AND WA crashes before I can load media.

Hi,

I have browsed for a solution on this, and other, forums and no-one seems to have exactly the same problem.

On firing up WinAmp today, I received the 'corrupt database' message. WinAmp is now crashing whilst trying to rebuild the local database. I have tried the following:

1. Uninstalled/re-installed Winamp. I also checked for any remaining reg entries and/or rogue files in the %appdata% folder. I then re-booted, twice, for good luck. Result: WinAmp crashes after importing about 40% of my Audio files. And I tried this two ways: by adding a 'watched folder' and building the database from the options tab, and by scanning a folder using the Add Media option.

2. Deleted main.dat and main.idx, and tried again. Result: WinAmp crashed as before.

3. Ran a CHKDSK on my external data drive (all 3TB of it!) and found no faults

4. Opened up Windows Media Player ('shudder') and imported all my audio to it. Runs fine.

I am now at a loss as to what else to try.

I should point out that:
(a) I have about 35,000 audio files on about 223GB of a USB3 drive
(b) I don't care about playlists or ratings
(c) I work on a cruise ship and internet access is slow and expensive, so I don't have the luxury of being able to browse the net for hours looking for a solution

I hope somebody can help, as I HATE using WMP!

Thanks
miles_muso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2014, 23:28   #2
DrO

you've not provided the important info needed like the Winamp version. so you need to ensure you're using v5.666 build 3516 and that you apply the plug-in updates after install - see the news thread for the relevant links.
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2014, 01:15   #3
miles_muso

Hi DrO, thanks for the reply.

I am indeed using the latest build. I think it might have something to do with the in_mp3.dll problem that I've seen elsewhere on this forum. So, when I get a chance, I aim to download an earlier version of the .exe install, extract the dll and copy/replace it in the current version of WA. Only after that will I attempt to load my media. I'm hopeful this will solve the problem. However, if you have a direct link to the older in_mp3.dll file, that would be useful.

Thanks
Old 18th May 2014, 02:09   #4
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
that's why there are stickies:

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....373755#updates

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2014, 10:00   #5
miles_muso

Hi MrSinatra

Thanks for your reply. I have now downloaded the installer for the old in_mp3.dll, and hopefully that will fix the problem. I have also run MP3DIAGS on my collection (took over 14 hours!!) and noticed that quite a lot of files have issues. As it seems that build 3516 seems to not like dodgy ID3v2 tags, I will use the repair function on files that have been identified as 'No ID3v2.3.0 tag found' and hopefully that will allow me to use them for the NEXT build of WinAmp.

Thanks again for everybody's help with my post.

Miles
Old 18th May 2014, 19:19   #6
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
add tags with mp3tag, and use mp3val to fix structural errors. mp3diags is better for hardship cases imo.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2014, 20:12   #7
DrO

the key thing is to use the in_mp3 from the updates thread (as referenced twice) as that will better handle issues within the ID3v2.x tags (which is what causes the crash). and even 'valid' ID3v2.x tags can cause the in_mp3 from build 3516 to crash, hence the absolute need to use the update version (which is technically a downgrade but it solves the build specific issue).

so yes it's good you've gone through and fixed some of the bad files, but just applying the in_mp3 update was all that was technically needed.
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support