Old 19th February 2003, 04:30   #1
griffinn
Court Jester
(Forum King)

Send a message via ICQ to griffinn
Message to Winamp: Time to play catch-up?

In a few weeks Microsoft is gonna launch a beta of threedegrees, a sort of spiced-up chatroom app backed by the MSN messenger service. Here's a Newsweek article on threedegrees and a showcase of its features.

Of special interest (or concern) is the musicmix feature. The idea of musicmix is for each person in the chatroom to bring his/her own music into the room and for everybody to manage a common playlist, and listen to the same music at the same time. It's sort of like a party where you bring your own CDs. Microsoft appears to have got a provisional okay from major music labels, so it won't repeat the "my mp3.com" debacle.

Of course, we can expect all this to be tied in to Windows Media technology.

Are the Winamp developers aware of this? Do they need to react and play catch-up in some way, and develop a competing product (tied in to, *gasp*, AIM or ICQ)?

As a Winamp enthusiast yourself, are you interested in something like the musicmix feature? Would you prefer to have something like it in Winamp and/or an IM app that's tied in with Winamp? What sort of features would you like that's not in threedegrees?

The smiley slot machine! | Quotable Blog
griffinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2003, 04:34   #2
anubis2003
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to anubis2003
I think it would be alright, but you would have to have really specific channels or else the songs playing would annoy many people at once. I wouldn't doubt it if Microsoft didn't allow mp3's at all, and I don't know if Winamp would be able to legally do it with mp3's. It would be great if they could, though.
anubis2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2003, 04:58   #3
Fickle
Butterknife of Justice
(Forum King)

AIM doesn't even use the skin program Winamp3 uses (damn, forgot the name) Why the hell would they incorporate winamp music capabilities in AIM?
AOL doesn't realise how cool Winamp is, and I almost think its' better that way. Keeps them from destroying it.

I don't see the point of the three degrees thing. Just play on Winamp what you want (using p2p to get what it is you want) and chat. Easy peasy lemon squeasy

Go read a book without pictures
pabook? | Look, a blog! | Buy Stuff I Wrote
Fickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2003, 05:10   #4
iomegajaz
Balled and Chained
Alumni

The point, I think, is that it's an all-in-one, and the general public likes easy-to-manage all-in-ones. See AOL.

I won't use it. I don't want to want to use it. But then, I'll never use AIM either. That worked up to the point where everyone else used AIM, and those not using were left out. Shit happens. We'll see.

Grr at MS. Grr.

"My heart hates uggos." –J.D.
iomegajaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2003, 05:19   #5
Fickle
Butterknife of Justice
(Forum King)

AOL is suffering. People realise they can do it themselves and not pay highway robbery for it.
And I use Trillian, the free version.

Go read a book without pictures
pabook? | Look, a blog! | Buy Stuff I Wrote
Fickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2003, 12:26   #6
Bilbo Baggins
Wind Chime of the Apocalypse

Its a good idea intheory, but it will be ruined by anti piracy measures, the fact that they assume your on broadband and that they will eventually have a pay version.
Bilbo Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2003, 12:30   #7
ryan
not fucked, not quite.
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to ryan
thats M$ for you
ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2003, 12:33   #8
Xerxes
Capitalist Alumni

Send a message via ICQ to Xerxes
Re: Message to Winamp: Time to play catch-up?

Quote:
Originally posted by griffinn
Of special interest (or concern) is the musicmix feature. The idea of musicmix is for each person in the chatroom to bring his/her own music into the room and for everybody to manage a common playlist, and listen to the same music at the same time.
If they use the WMA format, I don't know if it will work- because who has huge collections of WMA?

Furthermore, it would be streaming audio. While streaming audio is good, it isn't as good as having the file. I think people are still more inclined to do file transfers and listen to the song rather than this wierd streaming trick.

Finally, bizarre pathetic people will gallavant around and invade people's rooms and lists with their perverse "NOW that's what I call Polka!" WMA rips off of CD's
Xerxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2003, 12:33   #9
james
Forum PFY
(Major Dude)

Come to #******* and #**** on irc.****.org and listen to **** Radio!

Ha! Problem solved

We take requests

He uses statistics like a drunk uses lamp-posts: for support, not illumination.
james is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2003, 12:39   #10
THEMike
Bastificator [Alumni]

SHOUTcast

Simple.

Run a SHOUTcast stream for your online parties. Have everyone tune in with winamp, or the player of their choice, have the stream private and only the chatters can listen, you could rotate DJ duties etc.

No problems at all.

"Beer?"
THEMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2003, 13:53   #11
Wish
Major Dude

http://www.neowin.net/comments.php?i...n#comment93806

Neowin managed to get some screenshots of Three Degrees, all I want to say is, that thing will not win any awards thats for sure.

I expected more from MS, all the hype and this is all they can do? Bleh.
Wish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2003, 14:08   #12
nature spirit
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to nature spirit
yes I agree Xerxes. They simly want to make their wma more popular. Mike your solution is brilliant and yet simple. No problems!
nature spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2003, 15:06   #13
Gonzotek
Gunslinger

Re: Message to Winamp: Time to play catch-up?

Quote:
Originally posted by griffinn
In a few weeks Microsoft is gonna launch a beta of threedegrees, a sort of spiced-up chatroom app backed by the MSN messenger service. Here's a Newsweek article on threedegrees and a showcase of its features.

Of special interest (or concern) is the musicmix feature. The idea of musicmix is for each person in the chatroom to bring his/her own music into the room and for everybody to manage a common playlist, and listen to the same music at the same time. It's sort of like a party where you bring your own CDs. Microsoft appears to have got a provisional okay from major music labels, so it won't repeat the "my mp3.com" debacle.

Of course, we can expect all this to be tied in to Windows Media technology.

Are the Winamp developers aware of this? Do they need to react and play catch-up in some way, and develop a competing product (tied in to, *gasp*, AIM or ICQ)?

As a Winamp enthusiast yourself, are you interested in something like the musicmix feature? Would you prefer to have something like it in Winamp and/or an IM app that's tied in with Winamp? What sort of features would you like that's not in threedegrees?
The question is not "Does Nullsoft need to play catchup?". The question is "Is Nullsoft already working on something?". All the pieces are in place now. A cross-platform, rapid development-friendly architecture(Winamp3/Wasabi), ability to work with the largest IM network (AIM), streaming audio(ogg/mp3+shoutcast) AND video(nsv+shoutcast). IMHO, If they aren't working on a next-gen communication-type application yet, they should be.

-=Gonzotek=-

I was away for a while.
But I'm feeling much better now.
Gonzotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2003, 16:21   #14
CremoNe

once again, Gonzotek states the point.
amen.

[size=0.1]The Durango 95 purred away real horrorshow, a nice warm vibratey feeling all through your guttiwuts[/size]
CremoNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2003, 16:33   #15
m0e
This Space For Rent
(Major Dude)

Send a message via ICQ to m0e Send a message via AIM to m0e Send a message via Yahoo to m0e
Re: Re: Message to Winamp: Time to play catch-up?

Quote:
Originally posted by Xerxes

Finally, bizarre pathetic people will gallavant around and invade people's rooms and lists with their perverse "NOW that's what I call Polka!" WMA rips off of CD's

1. Who are you calling bizarre pathetic?
B. What do you have against polka
m0e is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions