Old 28th February 2003, 11:57   #1
Scot - SJIRadio

Send a message via ICQ to Scot - SJIRadio
How long to get 2000 unique listeners a day

How long had you guys had your stations up for before you got 2000 unique listeners per day?
Scot - SJIRadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2003, 12:34   #2
Bean-Net-Ken

2-3 Years, and around 100% uptime for that matter.
Bean-Net-Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2003, 13:03   #3
Scot - SJIRadio

Awesome, I have only had ours around for a year and at this rate I think I will have no time acumulating that in 2 years
Old 28th February 2003, 13:44   #4
PC Radio Net

Send a message via AIM to PC Radio Net Send a message via Yahoo to PC Radio Net
2000 listeners a day? I've been up for about a year and a half and barely get 2 listeners a day.

The PC Radio Network: An upbeat variety of the 50s-Today!
PC Radio Net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2003, 13:56   #5
Scot - SJIRadio

Are you joking?

I have been up for a year (in a patchy manner) and I am getting about 50-60 a day on average, and sometime ALOT more. I am not referring to the number of listeners I have connected, but the number of unique sessions.
Old 28th February 2003, 14:00   #6
PC Radio Net

I get about 2 listeners a day total. 0 unique for the entire year and a half

Old 28th February 2003, 14:13   #7
Scot - SJIRadio

Do you just play music?
Old 28th February 2003, 14:19   #8
Scot - SJIRadio

O wow, I looked at your server and you are serious. Do you advertise @ all?
Old 28th February 2003, 14:22   #9
PC Radio Net

That depends on what you mean by advertise. I post an advertisement on the boards here and try to answer questions with the link to the station in my sig, but that's about it.

Old 28th February 2003, 14:33   #10
Scot - SJIRadio

Well my station is cover the modified car scene, so I activley participate in those forums and include a banner in my sig. As well, I do interviews and live shows. If I just play music and daily news, I notice a serious drop in my listener base, so you need to spice it up. There are 1000's of station out there that just play music. You need to set yourself apart from them.
Old 28th February 2003, 14:43   #11
PC Radio Net

We already do that. Yeah, we just play music, but it's Top 40, pop, rock, metal, country, christian and tons of other genres all in one. To elaborate, we could play Frank Sinatra and put Kid Rock on after that and then play Eminem followed by a tune from the Phantom of the opera play on Broadway, then a Disneyworld ride attration such as the Haunted Mansion.

We also play Ultimix and X-mixes which you can't get a hold of unless you're a real DJ or know a DJ who copies them for you.

Old 28th February 2003, 14:49   #12
Scot - SJIRadio

Um, sounds like you have a very very very very specific listener base
Old 28th February 2003, 14:56   #13
PC Radio Net

I based the idea on the fact that I like all types of music and hate switching stations to hear another type of music. This way, you get it all in one and never know what you'll hear next.

Old 28th February 2003, 15:02   #14
Jay
Moderator Alumni

it is very uncommon to see an eclectic station grow quickly, there needs to be some kind of predictability to the type of music you play, because as soon as someone hears something they don't like they leave, and as long as you stay down at the bottom of the list you can never gain any listeners. In other words if you want an audience you need to be more specific about what you play. But if you don't care keep it up, in the end you aren't getting anything from it but your own enjoyment.
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2003, 15:25   #15
Scot - SJIRadio

Are you referring to get new listeners from the shout cast.com listing?
Old 28th February 2003, 23:09   #16
jesseg

yea getting at least a 3rd or 4th page listing on shoutcast really helps.

radioio had about 50 listeners a year ago today. before that it was 12 listeners for a few years! underground if you will... then, within 5 months of signing a deal for all the bandwidth we could ever use, so many people listened we went to #1 on arbitron for the first time. today we see ~70,000 uniques per day and rising fast.

part of our success has been having a "complete" system. ala, a kick ass website, great music, great presentation, great sound, great servers with loads of formats, and great bandwidth to back it up. everyt little thing plays a major part when you get into the arbitron charts...

but even on shoutcast, everything you can do to improve helps. with everything in place, it is actually pretty easy to get onto the first page of shoutcast - asuming that you can connect with people who want to hear what you're broadcasting.

thats the key, starting the proccess of "word of mouth"...

jesseg
jesseg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2003, 23:53   #17
global_groove6

Send a message via Yahoo to global_groove6
We've been goin for about 3 months. Have had about 80,000 connects, not sure how many are unique. At one point we were average 30-35 listeners during peak hours. However, after several server and software issues, I've noticed the numbers have gone down. Pretty frustrating when the problems are beyond your control. but yeah I find as soon as your reach the first page in your category, you tend to stick their for a while. Anyone know how many hits the shoutcast listings receive per day?
global_groove6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2003, 01:25   #18
DJ AmPs
Major Dude

without a sponsored bandwidth provision from AOL your chances of making it (as well as staying) on the front page are unlikely.
DJ AmPs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2003, 03:22   #19
Bean-Net-Ken

Ok, I have a client that plays Stories and fill his 50 user shoutcast. Guys, I just gotta laugh, You know you can do it. Have ads, play good music, you all rock! Love these fourms though
Bean-Net-Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2003, 04:30   #20
xiradio

This "PC Radio Net" guy has been trying to gain an audience using his dial-up AOL account to host a 32 listener 24k stream. The constant rebuffering for the 1st listener is probably the issue here If you want an audience, get listed on Windowsmedia.com. We went from 30-40 concurrent listeners a day to over 280 daily in just 1 month! Too much crap for people to sift through on shoutcast.com

Chris
xiradio.com
xiradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2003, 04:48   #21
global_groove6

how do u get listed in windowsmedia.com? Do you have to stream through a WMA server or can shoutcast people get listed too?
Old 1st March 2003, 04:57   #22
xiradio

I actually switched to Windows Media exclusively on my modern rock stream, but.... With Windows Media Player 9, you can put a shoutcast server in the .asx file and it will play fine. You could try to apply for a listing using this strategy, since they just want a working .asx file to link to on your site. Try this: http://www.xiradio.com/jams.asx

This is an asx pointing to a shoutcast server.

Chris
xiradio.com
Old 1st March 2003, 05:05   #23
global_groove6

I found this page. It says they require a valid asx file which Shoutcast is like you just pointed out. It's still not clear if the server has to be a WMA one although they do require the server provider. Can they tell what kind of server your stream is just by tuning in? I'm with internetradio.nu and they offer WMA servers as well so maybe they will think I'm on a WMA one or maybe it doesnt even matter.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...ubmitting.aspx
Old 1st March 2003, 05:09   #24
xiradio

If they actually look at the File -> Properties, it says MPEG Audio Layer-3 64Kbps for the codec, but they might not care. If you are serious about being listed, internetradio.nu will give you a small WMA server to use until you get listed, then you can increase the capacity and keep or dump the shoutcast server. BTW, I'm listed under "Xtreme Modern Rock" in Alternative Rock and Modern Rock.

Chris
xiradio.com
Old 1st March 2003, 05:20   #25
global_groove6

hmm I might as well give it a shot using just a shoutcast server. I'm gonna work on putting up a WMA logo on my website first, maybe that will convince them.
Old 1st March 2003, 05:30   #26
xiradio

Let us know what happens!

Chris
xiradio.com
Old 1st March 2003, 05:37   #27
xiradio

Here is my .asx file that points to a shoutcast server:

<asx version = "3.0">
<TITLE>xiradio.com - Where HIP-HOP Lives</TITLE>
<entry>
<TITLE>xiradio.com - Where HIP-HOP Lives</TITLE>
<ref href = "http://66.54.220.243:8002"/>
<AUTHOR>Stream hosted by internetradio.nu</AUTHOR>
<Logo href = "http://www.xiradio.com/images/xtreme/xtremewma.gif" Style = "ICON" />
<Banner href="http://www.xiradio.com/images/xtreme/xtremewma.gif">
<MoreInfo href ="http://www.xiradio.com/index.php?pageURL=donations" />
<Abstract>Where HIP-HOP Lives</Abstract>
</Banner>

</entry>
</asx>
Old 1st March 2003, 05:53   #28
global_groove6

sweet thanks! that will come in handy.
Old 1st March 2003, 08:26   #29
dirtysouthradio

Send a message via AIM to dirtysouthradio
ok how do u find out what your (unique listeners per day?) are any 1 tell me how to find out

WWW.DIRTYSOUTHRADIOONLINE.COMITune In Now
DirtySouthRadio <~~Aim For Request
dirtysouthradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2003, 16:27   #30
jesseg

All you need is a stats program that can accept the standard w3c log format.
http://dir.yahoo.com/Business_and_Ec...nalysis_Tools/

Rio is using webtrends for the day/week/month reports, unfortunately arbitron cant take logs from quicktime, but webtrends has a plugin for it! =) But its not free, so mabey surf around the list, im not too up on the log analyzers these dayz...

j
Old 1st March 2003, 17:31   #31
Scot - SJIRadio

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ AmPs
without a sponsored bandwidth provision from AOL your chances of making it (as well as staying) on the front page are unlikely.
What is this bandwidth sponsorship you talk of?
Old 1st March 2003, 23:22   #32
PureDJ.com

Not many make that...

When you talking about 2000 listeners i'm thinking of concurrent listeners. Not just added up connection during the day.

I think DI is one of the few, maybe the only one on shoutcast that gets 2000+ concurrent listeners.

For our station, we can handle about 800 concurrent listeners at the moment. But we are doing pretty okay with an average of 150+ concurrent listeners. The peak times of 250+ are always fun for us. But i think in the end it comes down to lots of bandwidth sponsoring and a lot of popular music.

For the rest it's more important to have fun in having a station, then wanting to have lots of listeners.. which is fun though

Greetings,
PureDJ.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2003, 00:56   #33
djqwest
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to djqwest
Metro Mix has been around for approximately eight months and we are now just starting to experience consistent listener ship holding down between 35-55 concurrent listeners with the ability to host 600.

In the beginning we suffered from poor bandwidth, which was slowing killing our listener ship. If we had known more earlier on we would have done things abit differently. Learning is half the battle.

I don't personally have a way to measure whether or not we've been successful during this time frame but the validation for me comes when people are staying tuned in whether it be 10 or 50 listeners.

In just the last week we have steadily moved up the shoutcast ttsl from 795 to 535 in ranking. The object is consistency whether you do this for fun or not.

Qwest.

The Choons: (128k) - (56k)
djqwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2003, 10:12   #34
jesseg

Quest, you're absolutely right. You gotta watch the TTSL/CUME ratio.

You could either try and attract a million kids that will listen to ten minutes by playing some charts & pop... or refine to a more select taste of music and genra and have some people hang around 8 hours a day for years. Refining your niche is the only way to "make it" or just keep the semi-costly hobby and playwhatever.

Getting listed on Windowsmedia.com helps alot, even just the radio tuner. MS just replaced thier old windowsmedia.com content editor with a new guy Jim Renn who's really kicking ass already on the site. But one thing, he's about 4 times as picky about the stations that are even in the radio tuner, much less part of the media guide. So when you aproach him or the other windowsmedia.com people, make for damned sure that your stuff is working great and sounding awsome so you can make it on the list.

He's reqorking the entire radio tuner list as i type, over the next few weeks too im sure, so if you had a listing on it earlier you might wanna check to make sure you're still in there, and do what u gotta do to get back on.

Being on windowsmedia.com was the best thing that ever happened to our listener numbers at least. Since partnering more closely with them, and having editor picks on some of our streams, our CUME (uniques) has been skyrocketing. Within a few weeks we should be at 500,000 uniques per week.

radioio is also back in the Arbitron public charts again, starting this next month, so watch our cume rise over that last month of stats starting at (should be) around 350,000 uniques only a month ago!!! So we're seing huge growth with them... No matter how serious you want to be, even just getting a listing on the radio tuner (for free) is not ever goping to be a dead end road, worth it's time in gold if you can get onto it.

jesseg
Old 24th August 2003, 15:26   #35
djqwest
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to djqwest
Jesse what are the chances they approve a stream that is not true Windows Media but a shoutcast stream using the asx feature to tune in using windows media?

Thanks in advance,

Qwest.

Quote:
Originally posted by jesseg
Quest, you're absolutely right. You gotta watch the TTSL/CUME ratio.

You could either try and attract a million kids that will listen to ten minutes by playing some charts & pop... or refine to a more select taste of music and genra and have some people hang around 8 hours a day for years. Refining your niche is the only way to "make it" or just keep the semi-costly hobby and playwhatever.

Getting listed on Windowsmedia.com helps alot, even just the radio tuner. MS just replaced thier old windowsmedia.com content editor with a new guy Jim Renn who's really kicking ass already on the site. But one thing, he's about 4 times as picky about the stations that are even in the radio tuner, much less part of the media guide. So when you aproach him or the other windowsmedia.com people, make for damned sure that your stuff is working great and sounding awsome so you can make it on the list.

He's reqorking the entire radio tuner list as i type, over the next few weeks too im sure, so if you had a listing on it earlier you might wanna check to make sure you're still in there, and do what u gotta do to get back on.

Being on windowsmedia.com was the best thing that ever happened to our listener numbers at least. Since partnering more closely with them, and having editor picks on some of our streams, our CUME (uniques) has been skyrocketing. Within a few weeks we should be at 500,000 uniques per week.

radioio is also back in the Arbitron public charts again, starting this next month, so watch our cume rise over that last month of stats starting at (should be) around 350,000 uniques only a month ago!!! So we're seing huge growth with them... No matter how serious you want to be, even just getting a listing on the radio tuner (for free) is not ever goping to be a dead end road, worth it's time in gold if you can get onto it.

jesseg

The Choons: (128k) - (56k)

Last edited by djqwest; 24th August 2003 at 15:57.
djqwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2003, 16:18   #36
jesseg

Well the chances are about 90% less now with the new guy Jim Renn, that is if he even notices. The (wont name names) guy before him was mostly interested in quantity... Jim is more interested in showcasing the best of what people are doing with windowmedia codec.

So unless they dont look at the asx file, and dont notice the format in the properties... there's not a good chance of getting in with them knowing you're using mp3 unless you are doing something not avilable elsewhere, something very high quality.

I could be wrong. Jim started the job hardley 2 weeks ago so... If anyone tries asking, please reply back to this thread, I'de be interested as to what the responce was (other than 'shame on you' bwwoohhaahaa...) especially if you get listed.

I tried to find a form to submit the information to, but since its a newer site seems that hasnt been taken care of, in fact they made it about impossable for anyone new to contact them. Anyways, here's the only available non-personal content contacts I know of there:

WMCfeedb@microsoft.com

WindowsMedia.com
Microsoft Corporation
One Microsoft Way
Redmond, Washington 98052

That should put you in touch with Jim fairly quickly, he's not the most busy guy in the world, i just dont feel comfortable giving out his ms addy publicly (although you might be able to find it on the ms webmaze somehwere) I would probably start by asking if they have a form to upload your info too, there's probably more of a chance of something sliding by if the asx file is going into a web interface (for approval) rather than being dealth with over email.

Good luck. =)
jesseg
Old 25th August 2003, 19:43   #37
DJ Killer
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to DJ Killer Send a message via Yahoo to DJ Killer
hmm my station gets 20 concurrent in 1 month its been online, and we are expanding it, even tho we had dowtime every day until this morning when i realized when i made my shoutcast startup script in linux i forgot the )@#($*@# amperstand so inet would waste all the resources and the server would collapse :-/ ugh. Now im on 24/7 so we will see what it does... but i think you jsut have to have content people like, and not be the same... aka everyone play pop... ugh... thats the last thing we need..

I Make. Perform. Mix. Play. Music.
DJ Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Discussions