Old 15th April 2008, 08:51   #1
Skyfuser

Shell extensions refuse to delete

Hi there Winamp world!
I've been using Winamp for a while now, and ever since the upgrade to 5.53 from 5.52, the shell extensions have been popping up on all the associated multimedia files. I've tried reinstalling over 10 times, each wiith different settings on showing Winamp menus in the explorer extension, but they just refuse to go away. I also went to preferences, enabled all the shell extensions and then disabled them but still nothing.
This problem does not appear in 5.52.
I use a Windows XP Media Center SP2 with 1GB of RAM.
I looked all over the forums for various fixes but they haven't worked. The known bugs doesn't cover this either.
I have done everything short of going to the registry and manually deleting the reg. key for each file extension, but that will take too long, and I'm hoping you smart people will help me find some workaround.
So, any ideas? Thank you!
Skyfuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2008, 13:13   #2
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

I don't quite understand the question/problem...

Which shell extensions and settings are you referring to exactly?

If a filetype is selected in Winamp -> Prefs -> File Types
then this makes Winamp the default player for that filetype
and therefore you will see "Play in Winamp", "Enqueue in Winamp", "Add to Winamp's Bookmark List" in the right-click menu in Explorer for that filetype.

The "Show Winamp in the folder context menus in Windows Explorer" setting (same Prefs page) is for Folders only (ie. what you see when you right-click an actual folder).

To make those shell menu items go away for filetypes, either deselect said filetype (aac, mp3, nsv, wma, etc) so that it isn't highlighted on that Prefs page...

Or, assuming you didn't uncheck "Extended Jump to File Support" in the installer options, you can go to:

Winamp -> Prefs -> Jump to File -> Shell Options
and deselect any of those 3 shell menu items for filetypes or folders, so that they won't show.

Or were you referring to something else maybe...?
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2008, 00:15   #3
Skyfuser

Sorry I'm not that good at explaining things. If pictures are worth a thousand words, I'll let you have the pictures instead and spare you the words

See, I have the shell extensions disabled, but the 3 items are still on the context menu. I tried reinstalling and cleaning the registry to change the problem, but nothing short of manually deleting the shell registry key under each association works.
Any idea how to fix this? >_<
Thank you
Old 16th April 2008, 00:53   #4
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Hmm... weird.

I'd assume at least one of them still needs to be enabled in Prefs -> JTF -> Shell Options, e.g. "Enqueue in Winamp" if "Enqueue files on dbl-click..." is checkmarked in Prefs -> File Types, or "Play in Winamp" if not (as in your case).

I've never tried disabling all three, because it doesn't make sense to me.
i.e. what's the point in having Winamp as the default player if there's no context menu items, which effectly makes it not the default player? Is it just so you get the icon & description?

I've deselected 'Add to Winamp's bookmark list', and it no longer shows in the context menus for me. I also just temporarily disabled 'Play in Winamp', and that also disappeared (I kept 'Enqueue in Winamp' enabled, because that's my default action, and I want it that way). So it's definitely working ok, as far as I can tell.

Does it work if you keep one of the items enabled?

Sometimes, on some systems, it requires a refersh/reopen of the folder, or in some caes a restart of Explorer, for shell extension changes to take effect.

Other than that, I'm not rightly sure what's going on there.

What registry keys/strings have you been manually editing, exactly?

[EDIT]

Ok, so I only tested Playlist formats at first (M3U, PLS)
and as I said, disabling the menus via JTF -> Shell Options works ok for those,
mainly because they're still registered under HKCR\Winamp.Playlist

But yeah, you're right, it's no longer working for anything that doesn't come under HKCR\Winamp.File (Winamp Media File) or HKCR\Winamp.Playlist (Winamp Playlist File)

It's not working for the new HCR\Winamp.File.XXX keys
(Winamp.File.MP3, Winamp.File.FLAC, Winamp.File.WMA, etc)

Winamp 5.53
* Improved: Different shell descriptions for different associated filetypes

Basically, it looks like the Jump To File Extra plugin (gen_jumpex.dll) will need updating.

Sorry...
Old 16th April 2008, 02:22   #5
Skyfuser

Nope, just tried. Nothing works.
As for your response to the lack of context menus... I don't really use any of those functions in the context menus. I handle everything by playlists that I just drag and drop. Whenever I want to listen to something I just double click the playlist and Winamp comes up in the system tray. I haven't found a need for enqueueing nor bookmarking since everything is in the playlist, and I like to keep everything in my context menu as clean as possible, which is why I'm stressing over this.

I've also restarted my system, but it still won't revert back.

I haven't been playing around with the registry yet. I was hoping the forum could offer me a solution before it went to that, since registry tweaking is both dangerous and tedious. But I have been looking at the file associations, and the keys go something like this...

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Winamp.File.MP3\shell\Enqueue\command
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Winamp.File.MP3\shell\ListBookmark\command
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Winamp.File.MP3\shell\open\command
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Winamp.File.MP3\shell\Play\command

I checked the multimedia files I didn't associate with Winamp and they don't have the whole context menu thing. So it's an issue with the file association.
Old 16th April 2008, 02:24   #6
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

See my edit above, heh
Old 16th April 2008, 02:28   #7
Skyfuser

Well... that explains why 5.52 had no problem
So is there some kind of workaround for this? Because I have no idea what the Jump to File thing does
Old 16th April 2008, 02:47   #8
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Jump to File Extra (gen_jumpex.dll) enhances the built-in Jump to File dialog which appears when you press the J key in the Playlist. It also adds a heap of other features, such as Queing files to be played next (by using Alt+click or Q on playlist entries), plus basically all the features/options listed under: Winamp -> Prefs -> Jump to file.

The only workaround I can think of, for now, is to manually edit the registry.

Go to: Winamp -> Prefs -> File Types
Deselect all except for maybe one or two (eg. xi and b4s)

Then go to: Start -> Run
Type: regedit
Hit Enter

Expand: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT

And work your way down the list of Winamp's supported extensions.

Start with .AAC

Hi-light .AAC
in the right pane, right-click the (Default) string
select "Modify"
and change it from "Winamp.File.AAC" to just "Winamp.File"
(without the quotes)

Repeat for all others (.flac, .m4a, .mp3, .wma, etc etc)

Note: Keep .m3u, .m3u8, .pls, .asx, .wpl as "Winamp.Playlist"

Alternatively, leave those keys/strings as they are, and instead, delete the "Enqueue", "ListBookmark" and "Play" subkeys from the referring keys

(still requires the extension to be deselected in Winamp Prefs though, otherwise Winamp will just reset everything again)

e.g.

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.AAC
(Default) = Winamp.File.AAC

Leave ^that^ as it is
and instead, go to:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Winamp.File.AAC

expand it in the left pane,
then expand the "shell" subkey
and delete the "Enqueue", "ListBookmark" and "Play" subkeys.
Then change the (Default) string for the "shell" key to "Open"
(it'll currently say "Play", which now no longer exists).

Repeat for all the other Winamp.File.XXX keys.

However, this doesn't explain why it's not working for Playlist files (M3U, PLS, M3U8, ASX, etc) for you, because it works fine for me...
Old 16th April 2008, 04:13   #9
Skyfuser

Heh, looks like doing it the hard way is the only way.
Thank you for your help, I will modify the registry as stated.
And one last question: Is it possible for this to get fixed in the next version?
Again, thanks for your help
Old 16th April 2008, 08:53   #10
DrO

jtfe will need updating to handle the new mode and as such will more than likely be marked as broken even though there's no way for the code to know about the new changes until i add in new code handling on the additional menu entries. there's no eta on when i'll get around to resolve what is otherwise a hack.

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support