Old 29th March 2001, 16:32   #1
dotjon

Alpha 5 is really very good isn't it.

The whining gaylords who keep criticising it for bugs don't appeciate that what Nullsoft are showing us is the direction that WA3 is going in.

I liked all the other winamps because they were very powerful but simple to use - the earlier versions of WA3 seemed like a fairly random collection of components but now they're starting to work together and be useful.

The equaliser also works much better than WA2's ever did (for me at least).

Nice work, cheers,

Jon
Old 29th March 2001, 16:49   #2
a-arse
Banned

Were all very gald that you like Winamp 3 but please don't go posting a whole new thread. It's annoying.
Old 29th March 2001, 20:03   #3
PabUK
Major Dude

Might as well make good use of this space for an explanation of tenterhooks that I found yesterday:

It's been so long since anyone has seen either a tenter, or the hooks on one, that the word and the idea behind it are now quite mysterious, so much so that it sometimes appears as on tenderhooks, which sounds as though it ought to make more sense. But at one time, the phrase on tenterhooks would have evoked an image that was immediately understandable.

It comes from one of the processes of making woollen cloth. After it had been woven, the cloth still contained oil from the fleece, mixed with dirt. It was cleaned in a fulling mill, but then it had to be dried carefully or it would shrink and crease. So the lengths of wet cloth were stretched on wooden frames, and left out in the open for some time. This allowed them to dry and straightened their weave. These frames were the tenters, and the tenter hooks were the metal hooks used to fix the cloth to the frame. At one time, it would have been common in manufacturing areas to see fields full of these frames (older English maps sometimes marked an area as a tenter-field). So it was not a huge leap of the imagination to think of somebody on tenterhooks as being in an state of anxious suspense, stretched like the cloth on the tenter. The tenters have gone, but the meaning has survived.

Tenter comes from the Latin tendere, to stretch, via a French intermediate. The word has been in the language since the fourteenth century, and on tenters soon after became a phrase meaning painful anxiety. The exact phrase on tenterhooks seems first to have been used by Tobias Smollett in Roderick Random in 1748
Old 30th March 2001, 15:57   #4
dotjon

Directions / bugs / etc.

My point was that it was good to see the direction WA3 was going in. Rather than that I like it. This is something I think many people who post on this forum should consider. The alpha's are to give us an idea of what's going on, there are bug-lists for people to comment about specific bugs. 'cause Nullsoft are showing us (their audience) what they are doing they can find out if we like the ideas. The performance will improve for Betas and releases.....

Oh, and at last the f***ing equaliser works without crackling.
Old 30th March 2001, 16:57   #5
a-arse
Banned

Dotjon, we understand that you like Winamp 3, it's good you've told us that. But at the moment there's so many freakin assholes posting generally random and completely useless posts about Winamp 3 and how good/bad/buggy/crap/worthless/anyyoing it's owned by AOLTW it is. Soon the hype will be over and it'll be back to MP3 to WAV, but for now we allll have to put up with it.
May as well plug my site:

http://www.wasabi.da.ru - A sort of Winamp 3 Heaven, very simple and basic but theres screenshots and stuff.
Old 31st March 2001, 02:33   #6
PabUK
Major Dude

But I guess if you just cannot resist expressing your Winamp 3 love, there is nowhere better to put it than in the Winamp 3 forum, huh?
Old 1st April 2001, 19:31   #7
dotjon

*do you speak English?*

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp3 > Winamp3 Discussion