Old 21st August 2001, 04:15   #1
Flipz

Winamp does not detect my plug-ins.

Okay. I am running the latest version of Winamp, which I just re-downloaded and re-installed, just in case. I am running and 800mhz P3 with 128 megs of RAM (doubt that's important, but you never know). But anyways here is my problem. When I download and install a plug-in, Winamp doesn't detect it. I haven't had this problem in the past, because I have been using G-Force for a while now. I downloaded 4 plug-ins the other day: Heho Particles, ToonAmp, B-Plugin, and Rave. Of these, only Heho Particles is detected by Winamp. I have tried just about everything I can think of. I have re-downloaded and reinstalled them all at least 2 or 3 times each. I have double checked the directories and everything checks out. They are installing to the correct directory, Winamp is looking in the correct directory, and Windows shows the plug-ins in the correct directory. But, Winamp refuses to detect them. I have tried searching the forum but I couldn't find anything that helped, so if this has been discussed before, could someone just link me to the thread? Has anyone else seen this problem before? Please help me out if you can, thanks.
Flipz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2001, 19:43   #2
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Can you provide the url's for these plugins?
Are you sure they're not AVS-Presets?

If they're proper plugins (DLL files) then make sure Winamp is closed before installing them, or close and reopen Winamp to refresh the plugin cache.
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2001, 21:40   #3
Flipz

Hmm...

Hey thanks for the suggestion, but I checked both things and they still don't work. The plug-ins I mentioned are on the plug-ins page here at winamp.com. 3 of them: Heho Particles, Rave, and Toonamp are currently featured so I know that they SHOULD work. I have checked to make sure they are .dll files and I have tried restarting winamp and my computer. I have also tried reinstalling. Nothing seems to work. Any other ideas?
Old 22nd August 2001, 02:12   #4
NeoRenegade
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to NeoRenegade Send a message via AIM to NeoRenegade
Plugins are .DLL files and are chosen through the visualisation plugin menu in winamp's preferences.

AVS presets, however, are .AVS files and are stored in the AVS folder, and are chosen through a menu in the Advanced Visualisation Studio visualisation plugin.

So let us ask you once again - are you sure they're plugins and not AVS presets?
NeoRenegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2001, 03:10   #5
Katascope

Send a message via AIM to Katascope
Heho Particles, ToonAmp, B-Plugin, and Rave are most definitely DLL plugins, not AVS. I haven't had problems running any of these (on
old winamp(for testing), or megameganew). I don't know what the problem is, but it's not an AVS/DLL mixup.
Katascope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2001, 04:12   #6
Flipz

Yes, that they are

They are in fact .dll plug-ins and I know that they should work because I have seen them run on other people's computers. Is there any way I can force Winamp to detect the plug-in or anything like that?
Old 22nd August 2001, 06:28   #7
Danrarbc64

I'm having a similar problem, only my visualizations and General Purpose plugins work. I see all the others in the lists but they aren't working at all.

I too have reinstalled both Winamp and the plug-ins one at a time, even with only one plug-in it won't work.
Danrarbc64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2001, 19:52   #8
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

As long as the DLL file is in the Winamp\Plugins folder (not a subdir)
and this path is properly specified in Prefs -> Plugins,
there's no reason why the plugin should not be displayed in the list,
especially after closing & reopening Winamp.

It's highly unlikely, but the only other thing I can think of is that maybe one of the 3rd party plugins you've already installed (ie. one which is displayed in the list) is possibly causing the problem?
There's a similar known issue with an Input plugin called Innover's Real Audio plugin, where after it's installed, no new supported extensions are displayed in the list of Filetypes (Prefs -> Filetypes).
If this is the case, you'll have to determine which vis plugin is to blame.
Use a process by elimination method.
Remove all 3rd party vis plugins (except for the default Nullsoft ones) and then reinstall them one by one, closing & opening Winamp inbetween. Try the ones which didn't display first.
As soon as you get to one which doesn't show up in the list, the guilty plugin will be the last one you installed.

If you get a result on this one, please tell us which plugin was guilty.
You should also report this problem to the author of the plugin.

Danrarbc64's question has been answered here:
http://64.12.38.241/showthread.php?s=&threadid=57841
Old 23rd August 2001, 00:57   #9
Flipz

OK this is just frustrating

I removed all of my plugins and reinstalled them. Still not working. I got fed up with it. I completely uninstalled Winamp from Control Panel, deleting everything with it. I downloaded a fresh copy of Winamp. I installed it. So far so good. I redownload one of the plugins, ToonAmp. I install it. Guess what? It still won't show up!!! What is wrong with this computer?? This is just downright frustrating...
Old 23rd August 2001, 01:49   #10
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Frustrating is an understatement!
Believe me, I feel your pain.

So, lets have a recap.

Winamp is closed.
You download the plugin & run the installer.
The install path is specified as C:\Program Files\Winamp (auto-detected)
The installation runs smoothly.
You open up Winamp, but the vis plugin is not listed under
Prefs -> Plugins -> Visualization
You've checked in "Prefs -> Plugins" that the path to the vis plugins dir is
C:\Program Files\Winamp\Plugins
You've checked in the Winamp\Plugins dir, and the DLL file is there.
But still no joy !?!?

Hey, I'm almost stumped

Maybe try clicking "Flush plug-in name cache" (Prefs -> Plugins)
Close Winamp -> reopen Winamp
Any joy?

If not, do the uninstall -> reinstall thing again, but this time, before you reinstall, fully delete the whole Winamp dir, and also delete c:\windows\winamp.ini
Now reinstall & try again.

Here's hoping!

Good luck -> DJ-Egg
Old 23rd August 2001, 02:47   #11
Flipz

Winamp is currently looking over several plans on how to fix the joy defecit...

Still no go. Maybe somewhere in my winamp.ini file there's a line I'm missing that says "Joy=0". I should go try and fix that...
Old 23rd August 2001, 09:00   #12
TauTau

This really seems to be a problem, I have exactly the same. And it's just a few plugs that don't work (rave, toon Amp and a few others). Everything is checked and ok.
One thing I noticed: I have also some plugin that let's you load other plugins (more than one). The "buggy" plugins can't be loaded with that too. Looks like the .dll isn't "winamp-conform".
TauTau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2001, 21:50   #13
Flipz

Hmm that IS strange

The only real question that still jumps to my mind is "Why does this only happen on some machines?". I guess I'll just have to keep trying other plug-ins until someone figures out what's going on.
Old 23rd August 2001, 22:07   #14
peter
ist death

probably plugins that don't load are to blame, not winamp. also, what OS's do you have ? (win9x/me i guess)
peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2001, 23:44   #15
Flipz

I know the plug-ins aren't to blame because I have seen them work on other machines. And for the record, I run Win98SE. Do you know of any problems there? (Of course other than the fact that 98SE sucks ;-))
Old 24th August 2001, 08:58   #16
peter
ist death

these plugins are to blame and win98se is OK (think twice before trying to argue with me next time). i think that they contain hard links to some micro$oft's redistributable dlls (like mfc42.dll, msvcrt.dll, ws2_32.dll), linked dlls don't exist on your system (or there are older versions with missing exports) so loading silently fails (win2k usually displays nice warning message, but win9x simply refuses to load a dll). also, you might have accidentially installed older version of some dll with some other program (clean win98se install would probably work OK).

[edit] PS. installing latest DirectX might help.

Last edited by peter; 24th August 2001 at 09:19.
peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2001, 09:14   #17
TauTau

So, curious as I am, I downloaded Rave and ToonAmp to this machine (W2k). Both plugs are recognized here. So the .dll theory can well be correct. This also proofs since the programmer (both are from the same Author) seems not to like Error Handling, under W2k I get from both plugins a "PR_SetModeD3D - Create Device failed" and crashes Winamp.
Just forget about those two plugs, they're buggy. Other plugins that don't appear in the Winamp list seem to also have bad programming, so I just forget about them.

TauTau
TauTau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2001, 22:20   #18
Flipz

Hmm I guess you must be right. I'll remember next time about arguing with you, I've learned my lesson.
Old 29th August 2001, 10:05   #19
Corruptor74

I am having the same problem, I have reformatted my HD and installed the newest version of winamp, yet still none of my plugins work properly. I am running an 800mhz amd duron w/ GeForce2 mx400 vid card and SB pci compact audio. Could anyone tell me if this has something to do with the Nvidia GeForceline of cards? Driver problem, maybe? I have been using winamp for quite a while and have never had any problems with it or the plugins before (except for a bad plugin every now and then). I have also tried re-installing, etc... nothing seems to work.
Also, to be specific, the plugins will load, they just won't work. (ie.. vis plugs don't respond to music, E.Q. shows no input, you get the idea...)
My final question is --> Where can I get an older version of winamp, so I can see if this is just a bug???
Corruptor74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2001, 14:27   #20
Mea

Bummer. I was having problems trying to get ToonAmp to work, and now it looks like I wasn't the only one.

I don't know about an older version of WinAmp full, you might try some shareware sites to see if they have it left in their archive. I know there was an older version packaged in Netscape 4.7 installer that didn't recognize WSZ files, but I don't remember what version it was.

-Mea
Mea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2001, 02:23   #21
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

All versions of Winamp @ www.winampheaven.da.ru

However, it's not a bug in Winamp, otherwise no vis plugins would work for anyone.
Reinstall all your drivers (videocard, soundcard, DirectX, etc)

Corruptor74
What file formats are you trying?
Vis plugins & EQ won't work with Audio CD's. You'll need to replace the default in_cdda.dll with the CDReader plugin. Be sure to read the accompanying instructions on how to enable it.

Vis plugins & EQ should work ok for most other formats (MP3, WAV, MID, MOD, etc), but you might have problems with WMA too.
Old 30th August 2001, 21:55   #22
ChrisE

To see if you're missing any DLL's the plugin needs, get the dependency walker utility from http://www.dependencywalker.com/.

Load my plugin dll into it and the utility will show you what dll's your system is missing if any.

You could also try renaming the plugins to vis_* but I don't know if that makes any difference.

Let me know if you find anything with Dependency Walker.
ChrisE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2001, 01:49   #23
Flipz

Hmm...

Well I loaded toonamp.dll into the program and I got an error:

Error opening file. The system cannot find the file specified (2).
Error: At least one required implicit or forwarded dependency was not found.

I don't know how to get it to tell me what exactly was missing, but that is the error that I got. Any suggestions?
Old 31st August 2001, 01:54   #24
Flipz

Whoops

Ok I found the missing dll. It is D3D8.DLL. It says the function is Direct3DCreate8. Does that mean that I need to download new drivers for my 3D card? By the way, my video card is an NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Model 64 with 32Mb of RAM.
Old 31st August 2001, 03:06   #25
ChrisE

D3D8.DLL is DirectX 8. You need to download the DX8 runtime from Microsoft at www.microsoft.com/directx (click on Home User then Downloads).

You'll also need DirectX8 compatible video card drivers, so you may need to download the latest drivers from Nvidia after installing DX8.
ChrisE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2001, 22:59   #26
Flipz

argh

Well I installed the latest DirectX and drivers for my video card. It did make SOME progress, Toonamp now shows up. Only problem is when I run it it locks up my computer. Every solution creates new problems. It's insanity!
Old 17th October 2001, 00:03   #27
RASTA_MAN

Send a message via ICQ to RASTA_MAN
plugins not working

hi
i had the same problem with 2 dsp plugins dfx & isotope solved the problem by cut & pasteing the .dll into the plugin folder ie for dfx
i found the dfx.dll in d*/winamp/plugins/dfx_instalation & moved it to d*/winamp/plugins winamp then detected the plugin the same for isotope i think it might have been because i have 2 hard drive's
& most plugins want to install to crogram files/winamp but my instaltion path is d:sound/winamp even though i changed the path when instaling the plugin

------------------
u can run but u only die tired!
RASTA_MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2001, 01:55   #28
HermitPox

Yeah man, what gives?

I read the whole dilly-o and tried it all. Upgraded my WinAmp and threw in some new plugs a few days ago. My existing plugs started dying one by one until none worked. Re-installed 2.77, Geiss and Punkie, old favorites that have always worked swimmingly... yeah, they don't show up.

Today also tried regressing to 2.65... no dice, no chips, no scantilly clad cocktail waitresses. Nothing. Tried all kinds of combinations of installing closed, open, re-booting, rain-dancing, and even cursing. The cursing made me feel better and I recommend it to all.

Could it have anything to do with the DirectX8 I installed around the same time (to run a plug)?

Help, the madness is unbearable.
HermitPox is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support