Old 6th October 2001, 10:33   #1
Krash
Major Dude

Make your own presets! Don't be afraid!

This is just a message to everyone who visits this forum but never actually makes anything of their own.

Start making your own presets! There's only 4 or 5 of us who have released more than a handful of presets. More people equals more presets, and I'm sure you'll agree that's a good thing.

Making the presets is exceptionally easy. Just fiddle around with some values, and see what you can come up with. Copy the colour cycling equations from some other preset. Easy.

If you want to venture into making your own equations, don't be afraid! Most of the presets released here started off as random equations typed in, doing strange functions with the different variables. Once the basic equation is in, they can be altered until you get an effect you like. Don't be afraid to experiment.

And at the very least, do a couple modifications of existing presets. Go into the per_pixel and per_frame, and change a couple values. Change a multiplication to a division, or square root a variable instead of squaring it, or do a tan instead of a sin. You'll be suprised at how some of the smallest changes in the equations can make huge differences in the appearance of the preset.

So, come join Zylot, Rovastar, Unchained, Bmelgren (haven't seen him in a while), and myself, and make more presets for the MilkDrop-loving masses!

- Krash
Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2001, 18:16   #2
Zylot
Major Dude

Well said, Sir!
Join us, all, and help make the eye candy flow from this bored like something that flows from something else in plentiful supply!

-------------
What do you wish for?
--Instrumentality
Zylot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2001, 22:59   #3
StudioMusic
Major Dude

I will Try

I do not have any experience making presets, is there any kind of information out there to help me get started? If I come up with something worth while I will post it, but until I have some knowledge of what I am doing to make presets I will hold off. SM
StudioMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2001, 23:03   #4
StudioMusic
Major Dude

One more thing

I forgot to mention, I know about the documentation that comes with milkdrop on preset authoring. SM
StudioMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2001, 06:22   #5
Krash
Major Dude

As far as more inforemation on authoring goes - no, there isn't any.

Essentially, just experiment. Remember that you can't really break anything. Try looking at some of the exisiting presets to see how they were done, and which numbers in the equation are doing what. Simple things like starfish, 3.5 kinds of amphetamines, asymptote, etc. are good starting places.

Knowledge in milkdrop presets, as in any new science, comes form experimentation, and trial and error. Just try stuff. =]

- Krash
Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2001, 05:26   #6
unchained
Major Dude

Send a message via Yahoo to unchained
I really can't imagine improving any on the existing documentation. I suppose you could write a step-by-step "here's how I made the xxxx effect in the Floobar's Whupass preset" but as Krash said it's mostly just screwing around and trying different things until it works. I've only done four or five presets where I sat down and figured out what type of effect I was going for (Logic Bomb took me HOURS to get right).

--
unchained
unchained is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Visualizations > MilkDrop > MilkDrop Presets