Old 23rd November 2007, 04:47   #1
pektong

How to Disable Cover Art

I'd like to know how can I disable cover art in my winamp 5.5? and I see a cover art in the song that I'm listyeneing to but when I open the source folder of the song, theres no covert art or picture file. I'd like to know where the pictures folders are because i'm having a hard time finding where folder it would go. thanks in advance.
pektong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2007, 05:05   #2
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

Send a message via AIM to Nunzio390 Send a message via Yahoo to Nunzio390
So... you see cover art in the song that you are listening to but when you open the source folder of the song, there's no covert art or picture file. Right? That's what you said.

It's most likely due to the fact that the MP3 file itself actually contains embedded album art, and if that's the case, it will show that instead of a jpg art file in a folder (or show no album art at all if not present in the folder). So, if it is showing incorrect album art, check for embedded album art, remove the offending/incorrect art from within the MP3 file (with another program), and Winamp will then show the correct album art present in the folder.

Also, make sure you've named the .jpg file correctly. Mine are all named "cover.jpg", are all located within the proper folder named according to the album/CD itself, and show up just fine in Winamp.

More on album art and naming HERE.

Don't email or PM me concerning Winamp. Instead, either start a NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY in the appropriate thread in these forums. This will also benefit others who may have a similar question or problem. But before posting, please first Search the forums and read all FAQs and all Sticky threads.

ORB Remote Broadcast

[ Automated Jukebox | Nunzio's Home | Wacky Videos | Solve the Prunella Puzzle! ]
[ LINE RIDER! | My Resume | Virtual Chess | Composite Sketch | My Niece's Band ]
[ Plugins by Joonas | DrO's Winamp Plugins and Extras | K-Jöfol ]
Nunzio390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2007, 05:12   #3
pektong

sir, afaik, it's not embedded within the mp3 because after the album art is automatically downloaded, all of the files in that particular folder has that same album art.... and some of the files there are ripped by me. and all of my ripped files has no album art....
Old 23rd November 2007, 05:31   #4
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

Hmmm... very strange
Nothing like that happens with my installation of Winamp 5.5 at all. My album art shows up correctly and is dead accurate.

Read this post (and subsequent posts) by Egg. Maybe you can glean something from what Egg wrote that may be of help. Or, follow the links I provided here.
Old 23rd November 2007, 05:37   #5
pektong

yup, it's strange.... sir, can I disable this winamp feature? it's ok on my side if theres no album art...
Old 23rd November 2007, 05:48   #6
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

Well, if you want to completely disable album art display, you'll need to use a skin that won't/doesn't support it. If you want to use the Bento or Big Bento skin(s), then... no. You've got album art, like it or not.

I'll partially quote from this post by Egg...

You also moaned about Album Art support, a feature that thousands of users have been requesting for years. Not to mention that if you use the Winamp Classic or Modern skin then you won't ever even see it (no-one's forcing you to open the Album Art window in the Modern skin, and the Classic skin doesn't even have one, and no-one's forcing you to create an Album Art view in the ML).
Old 23rd November 2007, 05:57   #7
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

BUT....

It may indeed be in your case that bullshit Micro$haft Windows Media Player is saving folder.jpg files as hidden system files, and they are there, but unseen by you, as confirmed by forums member zorblek here (and as Egg rightly suspected).

So if that's the case, then DELETE those hidden .jpg files, and then you can continue to use Bento or Big Bento skins, and they will no longer show album art (and just the "llama" unless you download the art).
Old 23rd November 2007, 06:01   #8
pektong

so using the modern skin disables the album art am i correct sir? ok sir another question would be if i'm going to use the album art, is it possible to just put all the downloaded album art files in one separate folder not in the folder same as the mp3 file?
Old 23rd November 2007, 06:42   #9
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

First, stop calling me sir. I'm not at all used to that.
Call me Nunz. Call me Phzzz. Call me Nugatory. Call me Prunella. But don't call me sir (or Shirley). If you continue to call me sir, I'll most likely develop a brain stem embolism and drop dead on the spot and my head will smash the keys on my keyboard, and that wouldn't be good at all.

OK....
Quote:
Originally posted by pektong
so using the modern skin disables the album art am i correct sir? ok sir another question would be if i'm going to use the album art, is it possible to just put all the downloaded album art files in one separate folder not in the folder same as the mp3 file?
Yes... use the Modern or Classic skins and you won't have to see album art (or use any number of 3rd-party authored skins that don't support album art.

Also, if you dump all your .jpg art files into one folder, it would be bad. It's best to organize your music properly...
Eg: Main Folder > Artist Folder > Album/CD folder > MP3's within

That's the way I do it, with one art file in each Album/CD Folder, with all .jpg art files named appropriately/identically (eg: all named to either cover.jpg or folder.jpg)

Using the above organizational method will always assure that all album/cover art will display properly in Winamp.

BUT....

Did you read my previous post? You never said. Are you certain that the crappy WMP did not store folder.jpg art files as HIDDEN files, and that you were unable to see them because of that?

Try to see if that's the problem first.
Make sure that Windows is set to "Show hidden files or folders"...

If you're using Windows 2000 or Windows XP...
  1. On your desktop, open My Computer.
  2. Select the Tools menu, & then select Folder Options
  3. In the Folder Options window, click on the View tab
  4. Check/bullet "Show hidden files or folders"
  5. Click OK to close the Folder Options window
  6. Close the My Computer window.
After you do the above, see if you can find previously "hidden" folder.jpg files, and DELETE them.
Old 23rd November 2007, 06:56   #10
pektong

ok nunz. i'll do that right now.... thanks for the assist...
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support