Old 6th November 2010, 12:26   #1
joebloggscity

Winamp not recognising HTC Desire Disk Drive as portable

hi

I've got a new HTC desire and have had a few headaches. Finally last night I thought it was sorted as it finally started to recognise my phone as a portable...

But this morning, it's strange it is recognising the disk drive but NOT as a portable under devices (see screenshot). Why is this?

see: http://img573.imageshack.us/img573/5209/41665173.jpg

how can i sort this? I've tried to go to the plugins and do see "E:\" drive as the drive (for the USB & the Android plugin) but to no avail.

What is going on wrong?

Please help.

I've a HTC desire,
android 2.2
32GB card
i've got "enable auto-mount" as ticked on
I always use the USB cable
joebloggscity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2010, 13:12   #2
joebloggscity

I cleared out all the music files etc and started from scratch, and winamp recognised the htc desire. Next thing i put all my music on the phone (around 20gb) using send to and all seemed fine.

however, next time i tried to link up the above happened again!

I downgraded to 5.581 from 5.59 and from what I can see, winamp can see the device "portable" but is stuck on "Loading:". Can winamp not handle large sizes? Makes no sense to me. it took 20mins for it to "load".

Can someone please assist?
Old 25th November 2010, 20:25   #3
k_withnail

Same issue here, Winamp refusing to recognise HTC Desire Z. Don't know how to force it or refresh, if there even is a way? Really annoying.
k_withnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2010, 21:02   #4
joebloggscity

It's frustrating however I got a bit of an answer here from a mod saying that it is possibly fixed for the next version.

see: http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=322995&page=4

IN THE MEANTIME, this is how i've sorted it out for the moment but stuck on version 5.581:
This is how I sorted it out:
1) You have to downgrade back down to 5.581
2) Link your android phone via USB cable
3) ensure you have USB or Disk drive status on your phone (as is case with HTC), i.e. you are using your phoen as a hard drive.

Your phone should show up as "loading" under Portables, if not then do following (I have to do this everytime unlike for my old Nokia n81!!!!!):
1) goto right click options>prefernces>plugins>portables
2) Under protables click the Andriod plug in
3) click choose configure selected plug in
4) Choose the disk drive your phone respresents (should be "E" but check windows explorer if need be)
5) it should show as loading under Portables.

Note: first time it may take a LONG time to load (30mins-60mins!), future load ups won't be as slow
If there is anything with blank tags you can edit them all at once and change one field for all and press okay (takes a while but sorts it all out)

Hope this helps....

Any problems then get back to me... It's very frustrating, my old Nokia N81 8GB had no problems ever...
Old 25th November 2010, 21:51   #5
k_withnail

done it! you're an angel, thanks!
k_withnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2010, 21:53   #6
joebloggscity

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_withnail View Post
done it! you're an angel, thanks!
Cheers, it took me days & many many hours of pain to find that "solution"... Lots of hours lost on what turned out to be unnecessary loading/unloading of 20GB of files, then formatting etc etc...

Seriously needs sorted out for future releases developers...
Old 1st December 2010, 11:20   #7
joebloggscity

Winamp Version 5.6

I don't know aobut others but i've found Winamp 5.6 a bit better here than the beta version, but i've noticed a few others are having the old problem.

First headache is that unlike in 5.581 there is no "Loading...." icon like before which does help (please techies add it back in).

Below all is wrt USB cable linking

I've found that as before first time it can take a long time, but after that it's fine.
Note: if you have a problem then go into the prefernces, android plug in and choose the disk it's on.

I've got a 32GB card and it takes around 60-90 secs to now load up. Which is manageable.

What other problems do people have?

Let's all collate then problems here and developers please help.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support