Old 22nd December 2002, 12:42   #1
AN@S

RM and RAM Format

is there any plugins for WA3 to play RM and RAM Formats

this will be a great thing we will depend on WA3 Only and no need for multi player
Old 22nd December 2002, 13:21   #2
steak
Major Dude

It would be nice wouldn’t it?

But unfortunately Real audio is copyrighted and shit like that which means that nullsoft can’t get the code to decode the files, it would put real out of business and real don’t want that. Even if the rest of the sane world do..
Old 22nd December 2002, 17:02   #3
j0ck3

Send a message via ICQ to j0ck3 Send a message via AIM to j0ck3
Good one, steak! Everyone hates real!

"What you know you can't explain, but you feel it. You've felt it your entire life, that there's something wrong with the world. You don't know what it is, but it's there, like a splinter in your mind, driving you mad." I have choosen the red pil.
Old 22nd December 2002, 21:32   #4
Russ
Mostly Harmless
(Alumni)

AOL are partnered with RealNetworks (they use Real as their streaming format I think). See here and be amazed at how much they actually do own .

For long you live and high you fly, but only if you ride the tide, and balanced on the biggest wave you race towards an early grave.
|Musicbrainz|Audioscrobbler|last.fm|
Old 22nd December 2002, 22:23   #5
Ice
Moderator Alumni
Americas Favorite Smut Peddler

real is making an effort to reach out to the open source movement. someone might make a plugin on what bones real throws out to the open source people.

I'd like to meet a mad man who makes it all seem sane
To work out all these troubles and what there is to gain
Old 23rd December 2002, 09:16   #6
AN@S

if the Real audio is copyrighted ,then why real player plays MP3 it is our brand ... may be we don't own it but we are the best in it
i have an adia why we don't make it as " unofficial " like cracks ...no one have an official crack but every one use it and can't stop useing it ...
Old 23rd December 2002, 09:51   #7
sanosuke
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by AN@S
if the Real audio is copyrighted ,then why real player plays MP3 it is our brand ... may be we don't own it but we are the best in it
i have an adia why we don't make it as " unofficial " like cracks ...no one have an official crack but every one use it and can't stop useing it ...
yeah just imagine an 'unofical' crack in an official winamp webpage.
Old 23rd December 2002, 10:12   #8
Russ
Mostly Harmless
(Alumni)

Real doesn't provide the source code to their RM and RAM formats, so it can't be easily integrated into Winamp.

For long you live and high you fly, but only if you ride the tide, and balanced on the biggest wave you race towards an early grave.
Old 23rd December 2002, 11:16   #9
AN@S

we can solve the unofficial plugins by post it in any site and we tell every one to get it
but about the source code is the real problem
Old 23rd December 2002, 11:57   #10
CraigF
Passionately Apathetic
Administrator

as russ said.

although helix is pretty much open source realplayer, they arent open sourcing realaudio or its network protocols.

Old 26th December 2002, 03:28   #11
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Has anyone tried WA2x Tara plugin with WA3 in conjunction with WA2 Input Plugin Mgr?
And if so, does it work or not?
I'd try it myself, but I boycotted Real formats a long time ago
and aren't prepared to corrupt my system by installing that evil p.o.s.
Old 26th December 2002, 03:51   #12
dlinkwit27
has no CT
(Forum King)

Send a message via ICQ to dlinkwit27 Send a message via AIM to dlinkwit27 Send a message via Yahoo to dlinkwit27
Quote:
Originally posted by Russ
AOL are partnered with RealNetworks (they use Real as their streaming format I think). See here and be amazed at how much they actually do own .
WOW!
Old 26th December 2002, 15:48   #13
cybaix

Send a message via ICQ to cybaix Send a message via AIM to cybaix Send a message via Yahoo to cybaix
They bought ICQ while already having AIM what was the point of that to own the compitition or something.

Sounds like someone has been taking microsoft business tactics classes again.
Old 26th December 2002, 15:50   #14
Russ
Mostly Harmless
(Alumni)

Quote:
Originally posted by cybaix
They bought ICQ while already having AIM what was the point of that to own the compitition or something.

Sounds like someone has been taking microsoft business tactics classes again.
"If you can't beat 'em, buy 'em."

Sounds fair to me .

Old 26th December 2002, 18:11   #15
dlinkwit27
has no CT
(Forum King)

Send a message via ICQ to dlinkwit27 Send a message via AIM to dlinkwit27 Send a message via Yahoo to dlinkwit27
The plan is this: They bulked up ICQ so much and made it so inefficient that it was supposed to give [smart] users no other choise but to turn to AIM. At least that is what I have heard...
Old 26th December 2002, 18:23   #16
YtseJam
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to YtseJam Send a message via AIM to YtseJam
Smart people won't turn to AIM because AIM is just as bad.
Smart people will find Other alternatives and now that ICQ Lite is out - it is a pretty good alternative for the time being(who knows what it'll turn to in the future...)

Old 26th December 2002, 18:38   #17
cybaix

Send a message via ICQ to cybaix Send a message via AIM to cybaix Send a message via Yahoo to cybaix
Quote:
Originally posted by Cet0
Smart people won't turn to AIM because AIM is just as bad.
Smart people will find Other alternatives and now that ICQ Lite is out - it is a pretty good alternative for the time being(who knows what it'll turn to in the future...)
I use neither, trillian owns all.
Old 26th December 2002, 18:51   #18
dlinkwit27
has no CT
(Forum King)

I also use trillian. What I meant by "smart" was people who would reconize that AIM is more space efficient. It suposedly uses less resources, HD space, and still has more features (again, all supposedly). I personally havn't cheked out teh specs for either messenger, as, like I said, I use trillian.
Old 26th December 2002, 22:12   #19
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

hmm . . . maybe I'm invisible ?!
Old 27th December 2002, 01:41   #20
dlinkwit27
has no CT
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by DJEgg
hmm . . . maybe I'm invisible ?!
/is lost
Old 27th December 2002, 07:42   #21
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

umm, I asked a question further up the page, but it seems to have gone unnoticed.
Basically, to recap, I wanted to know if anyone who's got RealPlayer engine installed and wants to use WA3 as default RA player has tried using the Winamp 2x Tara plugin (link above) by using it in conjunction with Peter's
WA2 Input Plugin Manager component for WA3 . . . and if so, does it work?

[edit]
Seeing no-one's replied, I'll take that as a "no" then.
AN@S, are you still around? Are you prepared to give my suggestion a try?
Old 28th December 2002, 06:09   #22
Paparazzi

Quote:
Originally posted by cybaix
Well, if you read or have read this you'll know why they took the pain of acquiring ICQ.

DJEngg --> I had Real sometime back and had used the Tara Plugin (v1.2)with the Wa2mgr and it had worked fine. I then used the Tara plugin v 1.3 and had a lot of problems with it, specially the video. I have since converted all of my Ra stuff to MP3 and have formatted my PC and so don't have Real anymore. I have also noticed that the Tara homepage no longer works. Hope its soul rest in peace .... it had served me well when I had started out with PC music.

Cheerios
Old 28th December 2002, 06:46   #23
theknub
Major Dude

DJ... i was thinking the same thing as you. i seem to remember some plugin for wa2 that allowed you to play real files in it. i thought it would be possible using the wa2 plugin manager. however, i don't want to corrupt myself as well by putting real anywhere near my computer...

i would be interested to know as well if it works

When you take a hand and chop the fingers off... what do u get?

That would be the knub.
Old 30th December 2002, 02:34   #24
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Aah, yes, didn't know Tara site was down.
Maybe RealNetworks got the plug pulled on it, like they did with Innover's RA plugin and others?

Luckily, Tara plugin v1.0.2 is still available from WA2 Plugins
http://classic.winamp.com/plugins/de...ponentId=22143
Old 30th December 2002, 05:17   #25
Paparazzi

Quote:
Luckily, Tara plugin v1.0.2 is still available from WA2 Plugins
Luckily????

Cheerios
Old 30th December 2002, 14:01   #26
dlinkwit27
has no CT
(Forum King)

Yes, because apparently the tara site is down, which means either downloading it from some random site found using google, or DLing from trusted winamp.com
Old 31st December 2002, 18:15   #27
diorkaneko

Send a message via ICQ to diorkaneko
so..... everybody,
u'r saying that the Tara plugin v1.0.2 works?! good...
does anybody know any programs for converting one type of file to another type?
Old 1st January 2003, 05:46   #28
Paparazzi

What type to what???

[Mod Note: Discussion of streamrippers is not allowed on this forum, sorry - Russ]

Cheerios

Last edited by Russ; 1st January 2003 at 12:06.
Old 1st January 2003, 22:33   #29
diorkaneko

opps.. I'm sorry...

sorry about not mentioning what to what....
I meant from RM to MP3 files....
u c... i'm not very good at computer...

can you help me? please?!
Old 2nd January 2003, 01:45   #30
dlinkwit27
has no CT
(Forum King)

whats a streamripper?

/edit: nevermind, duh. looked at the name, figured it out
Old 2nd January 2003, 03:25   #31
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

http://www.google.com/search?num=100&q=ra2wav
Scroll down results list for: Index of/...

http://www.google.com/search?num=100&q=ra2mp3 ?
Old 3rd January 2003, 21:49   #32
diorkaneko

Thank You!!!! I love professional people!!! I have an other question to ask you...... I think I'm getting a little bit annoyed coz my computer got virused by MP3 sites... are there any good programs to search MP3?
Old 3rd January 2003, 22:07   #33
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

www.winmx.com
freeware, contains no spyware (like Kazaa, Morpheus, AudioGalaxy, Limewire, etc)

More info:
TSGH -> File Sharing Programs
Old 4th January 2003, 02:22   #34
Windrush

Send a message via ICQ to Windrush
Re: RM and RAM Format

Quote:
Originally posted by AN@S
is there any plugins for WA3 to play RM and RAM Formats

this will be a great thing we will depend on WA3 Only and no need for multi player

for the time being, there is a solution you might try,
using Winamp 2.x plugins

Tara's plugin (if you can find it) allows you to play rm and ram files on Winamp, provided that realplayer is installed (but you don't have to run it).

I have been using it since Winamp 2.x and it appears to work even after I have "migrated" to Winamp 3 (since the last rm file I have played that is).

Hope it helps

**edited** oops, I just realised what I inputted was redundant, but well, it is a confirmation of something that would work
Old 4th January 2003, 02:25   #35
Windrush

Send a message via ICQ to Windrush
Quote:
umm, I asked a question further up the page, but it seems to have gone unnoticed.
Basically, to recap, I wanted to know if anyone who's got RealPlayer engine installed and wants to use WA3 as default RA player has tried using the Winamp 2x Tara plugin (link above) by using it in conjunction with Peter's
WA2 Input Plugin Manager component for WA3 . . . and if so, does it work?

[edit]
Seeing no-one's replied, I'll take that as a "no" then.
AN@S, are you still around? Are you prepared to give my suggestion a try?

hey, I think I might have tried it, but I'm not exactly sure of what you mean. The output of rm audio in Winamp shows up in the spectrum analyzer, is this what you intend or otherwise?

**edited** To AN@S, DJEgg:
on second thoughts, I think I know what you mean, Tara's plugin is a Winamp 2.x input plugin, I loaded it with Peter's Winamp 2.x input plugin support (Wa2input.exe). The end result is that I'm still able to play real files in Winamp3 **CONFIRMED**

but I don't really want to continue doing this in the long run since I was hoping for better things with Winamp 3.
Old 5th January 2003, 08:20   #36
rronzoo

Ya' know, I realize that Nullsoft really has no choice but to cave to the AOL lawyers, but...what the fuck is this PHOBIA about streamrippers all about? Jeez, people can't even talk about 'em?

I mean, if someone was uploading or posting links to 'em or something, I could see the issues but this is ridiculous!!

Do ya' think that if we don't talk about 'em, they'll go away or that people will no longer feel the itch for what they do?

Man, this is the kind of censorship that I would expect on an AOL board, but not here!
Old 5th January 2003, 08:31   #37
InvisableMan
Ninja Master!
(Forum King)

[edit]some huge bandwidth-hogging images were here[/edit]

*plays 1812 overture*
Old 5th January 2003, 10:11   #38
Russ
Mostly Harmless
(Alumni)

Quote:
Originally posted by rronzoo
Man, this is the kind of censorship that I would expect on an AOL board, but not here!
This IS an AOL board, like it or hate it. We don't have many rules but if you click that little rules link up there it tells you specifically:
Quote:
StreamRippers
Recently, administration has asked that references to streamrippers are to be removed from the forums. Apparently this is due to legal issues surrounding the saving of copyright streams, and the implications that it could have for Nullsoft.

Thererfore any threads dealing with this topic will be deleted without recourse to the thread starters or anyone who may have posted in them.
If you want to get streamrippers go somewhere else, that's all we ask.

Old 5th January 2003, 10:46   #39
will
Nullsoft Newbie (Moderator)

won't the AOL media player be wasabi-based soon?
If so, would it be possible to just use the wac from that?

DO NOT PM ME WITH TECH SUPPORT QUESTIONS
Old 5th January 2003, 19:09   #40
rronzoo

I know that technically this is an AOL board (duh) and I'm not wanting to get a streamripper, I'm just fumed about a rule that sez any discussion of streamrippers is verboden. GET IT! It's the principle of the matter.

You go to the Winamp homepage and the WInamp staff tries to come off all hip & alternative & edgy & shit like that. When push comes to shove, they bury their heads in the sand & pin a note to their asses that says "sorry, we must do what we're told without question and so must you".

Talking about streamripping is not illegal. It is not a violation of any law, copyright or otherwise. However, it is a First Amendment right. AOL legal circumvents this by making forum users waive these rights in exchange for full access to these boards. Essentially they proclaim, if you don't like it, than go someplace else.

This is simply a matter of AOL putting it's heavy hand upon Nullsoft with virtually no legal justification other than ownership and Nullsoft apparently making no effort to stand up for itself, it's audience or for what's just plain decent.

WORST CASE SCENARIO:

Nullsoft lifts ban on discussion of streamripping.

some lackey of RIAA files suit against AOL/Nullsoft for copyright violation.

Nullsoft shows that DISCUSSION OF streamripping in no way violates any copyright law. Also shows that plaintiff is attempting to violate first amendment rights of Nullsoft forum users.

Case is dismissed.

In fact, it would never even get this far because all interests involved know that there is no legal grounding for such a suit.

The only reason that AOL doesn't want any discussion of streamripping is because AOL percieves streamripping as cutting into it's other media ventures. Period.

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp3 > Winamp3 Discussion